http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 02:36:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul Walker dead in car crash  (Read 1234 times)
morlac
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 04, 2013, 05:37:42 PM

My uncle once lost 2.5 fingers working on a ban-saw. He's a general contractor and has worked with power tools all the time. Familiarity breeds recklessness, but tragedy is tragedy, regardless of personal success or skill.

Neither man would have elected to hit a tree at high speeds - it may not elicit a lot of sympathy and whether that is envy, apathy, or some sort of reasoning that this was darwinian in nature, I will miss seeing Paul in movies.

He was not my favorite actor, but I certainly enjoyed him and I liked the fact that he could play more than just "good guys".

Not sure that analogy really works but sorry to hear about your Uncle.  I get what you mean though.  However, these guys knowingly engaged in risky behavior on a public street.  A street not designed for the high rate of speed they were likely travelling.  That is not tragic, it is the consequence of risky, stupid and unnecessary  behavior.  Tragic is a kid dying of cancer.  Better yet, tragic would have been if their stupid little escapade resulted in an innocent bystander getting killed.  Best yet, tragic was when my cousin died by getting T-Boned from a truck driver going way too fast and running a red light.  I do feel bad for their families that lost them but I just can't feel to sympathetic to them.  Hopefully some good will come out of it.  This should be used as a powerful lesson to young drivers who enjoyed his movies glorifying this type of behavior.  Thinks don't tend to work out like they do in the movies.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »

maybe the car was possessed....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 08:58:13 PM »

Well, the comparison isn't 1:1 in scale or impact, but it works. Paul probably wouldn't tell his buddy, who races, to slow down because of his comfort level with both his friends ability to drive, as well as his own comfort with high speeds.

The magnitude of the tragedy is lessened by the fact that both people knew better than to speed but chose not to, and that other than possibly Paul himself a victim of Rodas' accident while driving Paul's car.

That still doesn't make his daughter miss her dad any less.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 08:58:52 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 04, 2013, 07:59:13 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 04, 2013, 06:16:39 PM

With those guys, driving at high speed doesnt have to be about impressing someone.  It is far more likely that, with their hobbies and life styles, they were out having some fun.  Sometimes that just doesnt end well. 

Either or they were out on a public street driving fast enough to incinerate the car they were in.  Stupid, and lucky nobody else got hurt due to their reckless behavior.
other than the tree.

Because I can,
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 09:15:10 PM »

Compassion and sympathy are free.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2013, 09:30:15 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 04, 2013, 08:58:13 PM

Well, the comparison isn't 1:1 in scale or impact, but it works. Paul probably wouldn't tell his buddy, who races, to slow down because of his comfort level with both his friends ability to drive, as well as his own comfort with high speeds.

The magnitude of the tragedy is lessened by the fact that both people knew better than to speed but chose not to, and that other than possibly Paul himself a victim of Rodas' accident while driving Paul's car.

Not really.  Your Uncle's recklessness had zero chance to impact anyone but himself.  If they were stupid kids I would feel bad for them but these grown men should have known better.  Maybe Paul should have thought more about that daughter of his prior to heading out for this joyride.  My 'risky' behavior pretty much went away after the birth of mine and I use to do all kinds of stupid shit.  Not trying to come off too callous or unsympathetic (probably failing) but the outpouring of celebrity sympathy just rubs me wrong.  I should just back out of this thread at this point.

morlac00 on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2013, 12:29:30 AM »

He wasn't reckless - he simply erred, once in a bazillion times. He thought he heard my aunt calling him, turned, and lost fingers.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2013, 12:29:58 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 04, 2013, 08:58:13 PM

true that.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 05, 2013, 12:29:30 AM

He wasn't reckless - he simply erred, once in a bazillion times. He thought he heard my aunt calling him, turned, and lost fingers.

I must have misinterpreted this line :"My uncle once lost 2.5 fingers working on a ban-saw. He's a general contractor and has worked with power tools all the time. Familiarity breeds recklessness, but tragedy is tragedy, regardless of personal success or skill. "

If he was not than your analogy is even worse...sorry.

morlac00 on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 01:58:49 AM »

Accident is accident.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2013, 02:02:14 AM »

pretty much.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 02:14:10 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 05, 2013, 01:58:49 AM

Accident is accident.

Blue is blue.

morlac00 on PSN
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »

This kind of death can be hard to sympathize with IF the accident happened due to stupidity (speeding, etc.) from someone who should have known better AND if it occurred on a public road.  I remember when one of the Jackass crew died in a car accident a while back.  A lot of people expressed sympathy...but the fact of the matter was that the guy was both speeding AND drunk.  He could have killed an innocent bystander quite easily.  I'm not going to say "justice is served" but I'm also not going to say "he didn't do anything wrong".

I'm not sure what happened in this case.  But the accident photos seem to indicate at least a modicum of speed.  Probably more than they should have been doing.  However, I don't know the full story.  

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:05 PM »

He likely burned to death.

Reading the rest of the article, it sounds like he was a pretty stand-up guy. He was also a single dad and had taken custody of his daughter this time last year.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 07:58:34 PM »

Quote from: morlac on December 05, 2013, 02:14:10 AM

Quote from: Purge on December 05, 2013, 01:58:49 AM

Accident is accident.

Blue is blue.

black is red!

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »

tough way to go.  I hope he wasn't conscious at the end. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 05, 2013, 07:58:05 PM

He likely burned to death.

Reading the rest of the article, it sounds like he was a pretty stand-up guy. He was also a single dad and had taken custody of his daughter this time last year.

He does...except that he also had a bit of Jerry Lee Lewis in him.  He left behind a girlfriend who he started dating when she was 16 and he was 33.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2013, 11:42:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 04, 2013, 08:58:52 PM

Quote from: morlac on December 04, 2013, 07:59:13 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on December 04, 2013, 06:16:39 PM

With those guys, driving at high speed doesnt have to be about impressing someone.  It is far more likely that, with their hobbies and life styles, they were out having some fun.  Sometimes that just doesnt end well. 

Either or they were out on a public street driving fast enough to incinerate the car they were in.  Stupid, and lucky nobody else got hurt due to their reckless behavior.
other than the tree.
I thought the tree was pretty much ok? Maybe it will grow up into a grand old oak and people will come and worship at it 50 years from now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2013, 12:13:18 AM »

tribute to Paul Walker from Universal.  Also, this was an awesome gift.

Because I can,
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »

Coroner: Car carrying Paul Walker going 100-plus mph

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: