Well, I was trying to get AWStats
running. Eventually, I did. The sad thing is that I have no idea what I changed to make it work.
Anyhow, I know so little about Linux that I was afraid I was opening the entire world up to some stuff that shouldn't be accessable. I uninstalled it, and will try again when I figure out how to password protect the AWStats directory. It seems like pretty powerful software. Maybe I'll just install perl on my laptop, along with the windows version, and grab my log files and run it there.
For the time being, I'm using BBClone
, which is PHP based and requires small code snippets in the pages. Useful, but the DNS resolution is done when the page is hit, which slows things down too much, so I had to turn it off. The good news is that with BBClone on, and DNS resolution off, the pages actually seem to load more quickly. Wierd.
me = linux newbie