http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:51:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passchendaele the movie.  (Read 1222 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »

Anyone else looking forward to seeing this new war movie?  It actually looks fairly high budget!! I can't wait to see it-there aren't enough good WWI movies.  I just hope it doesn't turn into some crap Canadian film!

Here's a 2 minute trailer on YouTube.  I can't find the one I saw in the movie theater.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=I6WYHagWdeE&feature=related
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:34:33 PM »

I'm sorry, man, but that looks, well..... It looks fairly mediocre. It comes across as 'Atonement Part 2'. And as the trailer unfolds it starts to smell like cheese. Just listen to these 'golden nuggets' of dialogue:

'This is it, boys! Get ready!'

'There is only one rule--Don't die.'

'There is only one rule--Don't die.' (yes, it gets repeated!)  icon_lol

Just looks like cheese.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:40:57 PM »

Well the trailer I saw in the movie theater had much more action and lots less talking.  Wouldn:t surprise me if it was mostly talky talky though. This IS a Canadian movie afterall
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 27, 2008, 01:40:57 PM

Well the trailer I saw in the movie theater had much more action and lots less talking.  Wouldn:t surprise me if it was mostly talky talky though. This IS a Canadian movie afterall

Which, stated another way, also means it isn't Hollywood. And therefore unlikely that it will center around a Rambo-like American who single-handedly does what 140,000 lost their lives trying to do in a battle the US wasn't even involved in. I've heard little or nothing about the movie, but it'll be a shame if it doesn't do justice to telling the true story of one of the worst battles ever fought.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »

Okaaaaay...maybe I'll see the movie anyway despite the possibility that there's no Rambo-like American to save the day. Still, he'd have known what to do! "Nothin's over 'til I say it's OVER!"

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »

I was 'meh' on the film until I saw an interview with some of the filmmakers where they described how they created each battle scene to look exactly like the photos available from that time. Holding a photo next to a still shot of the movie shows just how successful they were. Definitely in.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 03:22:28 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on August 27, 2008, 02:39:10 PM

Okaaaaay...maybe I'll see the movie anyway despite the possibility that there's no Rambo-like American to save the day. Still, he'd have known what to do! "Nothin's over 'til I say it's OVER!"

Oh there were soldiers there that are about as close as you'll get to a real life Rambo to be sure, but they just weren't Americans. A good example was Canadian Corporal Pegahmagabow who was a native of the Ojibwa nation and was decorated numerous times. He fought at Passchendaele as well as many other battles. Unfortunately he was given the nickname Peggy which wouldn't work well for a macho Hollywood stereotype. Here's an excerpt describing some of his exploits:

He sailed overseas with the 1st Battalion and was engaged in fierce fighting at the desperate trial-by-fire battle of 2nd Ypres in April 1915 where the Germans unleashed chlorine gas for the first time in the history of warfare.

Peggy survived even though the 1st Battalion lost almost half of its strength in three days of bitter fighting. The front returned to its static nature and soldiers dug deeper trenches to avoid the murderous artillery and sniper fire. Cpl Pegahmagabow soon acquired a fierce reputation among his fellow soldiers as a deadly sniper. Establishing himself behind the front lines or slowly worming his way into No Manís Land at night, Peggy would wait for German soldiers to show themselves. He proved to be an effective and deadly marksman, and quickly began to account for dozens of the enemy.

In addition to his role as a sniper, Peggy exhibited great battlefield bravery at the Battle of Mount Sorrel in June 1916 where he captured a large number of German prisoners.

Not to mention some rambo-like Ozzies, New Zelanders and Scots who fought there as well.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 05:18:16 PM »

wait...Canada has a military???

When did THIS happen!?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »

It honestly looks like a CBC TV movie. Nice to see an effort though with a story told from our point of view though. It's about time though that we got our own War movie.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 05:54:00 PM by Rumpy » Logged
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 09:52:21 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 27, 2008, 03:22:28 PM

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on August 27, 2008, 02:39:10 PM

Oh there were soldiers there that are about as close as you'll get to a real life Rambo to be sure, but they just weren't Americans. A good example was Canadian Corporal Pegahmagabow who was a native of the Ojibwa nation and was decorated numerous times. He fought at Passchendaele as well as many other battles. Unfortunately he was given the nickname Peggy which wouldn't work well for a macho Hollywood stereotype. Here's an excerpt describing some of his exploits:

He sailed overseas with the 1st Battalion and was engaged in fierce fighting at the desperate trial-by-fire battle of 2nd Ypres in April 1915 where the Germans unleashed chlorine gas for the first time in the history of warfare.

Peggy survived even though the 1st Battalion lost almost half of its strength in three days of bitter fighting. The front returned to its static nature and soldiers dug deeper trenches to avoid the murderous artillery and sniper fire. Cpl Pegahmagabow soon acquired a fierce reputation among his fellow soldiers as a deadly sniper. Establishing himself behind the front lines or slowly worming his way into No Manís Land at night, Peggy would wait for German soldiers to show themselves. He proved to be an effective and deadly marksman, and quickly began to account for dozens of the enemy.

In addition to his role as a sniper, Peggy exhibited great battlefield bravery at the Battle of Mount Sorrel in June 1916 where he captured a large number of German prisoners.

Not to mention some rambo-like Ozzies, New Zelanders and Scots who fought there as well.

and Germans?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:30:14 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 27, 2008, 05:18:16 PM

wait...Canada has a military???

When did THIS happen!?

Before 1914 obviously! smile
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »

There were plenty of US Rambos running around Flanders...

Just read some of these:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/worldwari.html
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 04:22:50 AM »

Quote from: kratz on August 28, 2008, 03:05:25 PM

There were plenty of US Rambos running around Flanders...

Just read some of these:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/moh/worldwari.html

You obviously missed the point in my earlier comment. There wasn't any US soldiers performing 'Rambo-like' heroic deeds at Passchendaele because at that point in the war -roughly 3 years in- the US hadn't even declared war on Germany yet. I don't doubt there were US soldiers that performed heroic deeds in Flanders fields, just that they didn't occur until after Passchendaele; in fact in the last 8 months of the war. If left up to Hollywood, some American mercenary would be skipping over the mud and trenches of Passchendaele dispatching Germans at will.

Quote from: mori on August 27, 2008, 09:52:21 PM

Quote from: kronovan on August 27, 2008, 03:22:28 PM

and Germans?

My bad, as I've made the mistake of assuming that the details of Passchendaele are well known. The countries I mentioned are those that are most often overlooked in their contribution. The Germans' acts at Passchendaele are the stuff of legend. In fact later in 1917 the Germans took back in 3 days half of what the allies spent 3 months fighting for! Which unfortunately underscores perhaps the biggest tragedy of the battle; the area surrounding the town wasn't easily defended and therefore not strategically significant. Was it a complete waste of time and a senseless loss of 140,000 lives? Hopefully the movie will be done well enough to answer some of those questions.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:56:05 AM by kronovan » Logged
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »

You are obviously taking me far too literally and seriously. smile
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 04:56:30 PM »

eek

Wow...

Before and after.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 29, 2008, 04:56:30 PM

eek

Wow...

Before and after.

Yup...that photograph more or less sums the battle up. I read in a book that in one single aerial reconnaissance photo alone, a million shell holes were identified! I just hope the poor reconnaissance ground crew that came up with that stat used some averaging math to arrive at that number.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 03:56:00 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on August 29, 2008, 04:22:50 AM

[You obviously missed the point in my earlier comment. There wasn't any US soldiers performing 'Rambo-like' heroic deeds at Passchendaele because at that point in the war -roughly 3 years in- the US hadn't even declared war on Germany yet.

Actually, there may have been Americans at Passchendaele.  There were Americans who volunteered to fight in WWI before the US entered, usually as part of the British army.  However, their numbers were obviously tiny and probably aren't relevant for a movie aimed at a Canadian audience.

Personally, I'd think that the Canadians would want a movie about a more clear-cut victory, but I suppose they are like the Aussies and New Zealand, in that they focus more on the battles that they think made their distinct national identity's most obvious.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 02, 2008, 03:56:00 AM

Quote from: kronovan on August 29, 2008, 04:22:50 AM

[You obviously missed the point in my earlier comment. There wasn't any US soldiers performing 'Rambo-like' heroic deeds at Passchendaele because at that point in the war -roughly 3 years in- the US hadn't even declared war on Germany yet.

Actually, there may have been Americans at Passchendaele.  There were Americans who volunteered to fight in WWI before the US entered, usually as part of the British army.  However, their numbers were obviously tiny and probably aren't relevant for a movie aimed at a Canadian audience.

You're correct about American volunteers serving there with the 1300 member Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF), but if you consider the 2 most recent Holywood films which featured volunteers it only further illustrates my point. Consider Legends of the Fall and Fly Boys. In Legends both of the Ludlow brothers are portrayed as snipers playing a heroic role far bigger than themselves. Unfortunately the job of sniper was one of prestige and it's unlikely any CEF member would have been granted it let alone 2 brothers, but because the Ludlows needed to be portrayed as uber-shot Rambos that's the role they were given. Then consider Fly Boys in which the members of the Lafayette Escadrille are portrayed as shooting down just about everything in site, yet the regular French airforce is barely ever seen. BTW when was the last time Hollywood made a film that really depicted the tragic fate of British or French forces in WWI?

Personally, being only the 2nd generation born in Canada from an American expatriate those depictions don't bother me too much, especially since my American relatives suffered heavily in WWII and Viet Nam. However, I've participated in Flight Sim and Military game forums where UK and French members are absolutely incensed about such depictions. Ill feelings about the US's late declaration still seem to persist there, so a Passchendaele film better not falsely glorify the antics of an American volunteer if it's ever to have a chance at reaching those audiences.

Personally, I'd think that the Canadians would want a movie about a more clear-cut victory, but I suppose they are like the Aussies and New Zealand, in that they focus more on the battles that they think made their distinct national identity's most obvious.

I don't necessarily think Canadian viewers want a more clear cut victory, but you're absolutely correct about wanting a film that helped define our identity. In school we're taught about the significance of Paschendale and Vimy Ridge in allowing us to achieve national recognition. You have to consider that at the beginning of the war Canadian forces were only a colonial battalion in the regular British Army without an officer higher than the rank of Colonel. By the end of the war, due to battles such as those I've mentioned, a Canadian had begrudgingly been promoted to General. By the time WWII came along we had our own national forces and served as a fully equated partner amongst the allies, as did Australia and New Zealand. We were also given the option to repatriate our constitution and proclaim full independence from Britain in 1933, but our gutless politicians of the time passed on the opportunity; didn't happen until the early 80's!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:35:30 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: