http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 06:43:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pasadena, CA?  (Read 695 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:15:56 AM »

After a few months of searching I finally found a job, one that I'm actually very excited about, but the only "problem" is that it is halfway across the country in Pasadena.  I've personally only ever been to the L.A. area twice, once about 10 years ago and then the recent trip to interview at this company. 

Does anybody live down in that area, or at least familiar with it?  Any advice on housing out there?  Areas to avoid and such, I guess.  I'll be looking to rent somewhere within a <30 minute range of downtown Pasadena to keep the commute reasonable.

The only thing I really know about the L.A. area is that it is a damn huge mess of a sprawl and traffic sucks.   icon_confused

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:25:12 AM »

Pasadena is a ten minute drive for me and I grew up in the area.  It's in the middle of suburbia (L.A. style) and you'll have your choice of housing (apartments, condo/townhouses, houses).  Your <30 minute rule gives you a pretty huge area to look out outside of Pasadena, but the city itself is full of options and for the most part a pretty nice place to live.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 03:18:35 AM »

Awesome, thanks for the info, Biyobi!  From what I've heard the areas around Pasadena are all pretty nice, so that is a always good to hear. 

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:49:27 AM »

I used to live near Pasadena, well within your 30 minute drive limit. I lived in Rosemead and could get to Pasadena without hitting any freeways. Biyobi is right, there are plenty of options for you to choose from either in Pasadena itself or outside of it.

May want to look into the Rose parade route and maybe avoid living around the routes if you would prefer to avoid the road closures and crazy parking once a year =)
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:40:29 AM »

Quote from: Tokek on February 21, 2012, 06:49:27 AM

May want to look into the Rose parade route and maybe avoid living around the routes if you would prefer to avoid the road closures and crazy parking once a year =)

Heh.  My buddy lives in a townhouse complex right along the street where the floats park for a few days after the parade.  They  close off the main gates to the complex and all traffic (from about 50+ units) has to go down it's single lane, dirt covered fire access road.  He spends the week after Christmas slowly trying to give himself a rage-induced aneurysm fretting about it. icon_lol
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »

Pasadena is a nice area and can be a little pricey.  I live in Alhambra/Monterey Park, and for the most part, it's decent and not as pricey.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »

Pasadena is a nice area of LA. Freeways and I think the subway even reaches into Pasadena although I don't know how "usefull" it is. I used to know someone who lived in Rosemead.

My niece went to Azusa Pacific Univ. east of there and it seemed like a really nice area.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »

Watch out for the little old lady.  I hear she's the terror of Colorado Boulevard.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »

Weather will be great year round!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:29 PM »

Pasadena is one of the few areas of LA I could almost tolerate living in.  It's suburbia, but it's nice suburbia.  It's relatively expensive though.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »

I live about 10-15 minutes from Pasadena, and two of my kids may be in school over there next year.

A few notes:

1.  Most people I know who work there say it's a great place to work. 

2.  Though the nicer parts are definitely pricey, there are several nice communities within short commuting distance that are more affordable.

3.  It's got lots of good restaurants.  Lots.  Of all types.

4.  Lots of good entertainment options, too, whatever your tastes.

Let me know if you want to talk any particular neighborhoods.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 12:51:10 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 21, 2012, 03:18:35 AM

Awesome, thanks for the info, Biyobi!  From what I've heard the areas around Pasadena are all pretty nice, so that is a always good to hear. 

Pasadena is definitely one of the nicer areas in LA, congrats!  One thing to keep in mind in LA, though, is that you can easily cross one street and go from being in Beverly Hills to the ghetto without missing a beat.  Well, maybe not that dramatic but you get the idea.  Even different sections in one city may be significantly less desirable than a section next to it, so be sure to do some research before you commit.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 06:17:21 AM »

Wow, I had no idea we had so many GT members in that area of LA! 

Thanks for all the info guys.  I'm sure I will have more detailed questions once I get down there and check out the area some more, but at least I have a decent overview now.

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »

Oh, also you might want to consider that a 30 minute commute range is vastly different during rush hour and off peak times.  A trip that takes 10 minutes without traffic can easily take 30 in traffic.  Just a heads up. smile
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 07:57:09 AM »

Quote from: namatoki on February 23, 2012, 06:35:32 AM

Oh, also you might want to consider that a 30 minute commute range is vastly different during rush hour and off peak times.  A trip that takes 10 minutes without traffic can easily take 30 in traffic.  Just a heads up. smile

Direction is a big factor too.  Morning traffic is primarily westbound and it can be hellish.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 22, 2012, 12:51:10 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 21, 2012, 03:18:35 AM

Pasadena is definitely one of the nicer areas in LA, congrats!  One thing to keep in mind in LA, though, is that you can easily cross one street and go from being in Beverly Hills to the ghetto without missing a beat.  Well, maybe not that dramatic but you get the idea.  Even different sections in one city may be significantly less desirable than a section next to it, so be sure to do some research before you commit.

I was just talking to someone over the weekend about how LA goes from good to bad with the crossing of a freeway.

And traffic at certain times is a bear.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »

Quote from: namatoki on February 23, 2012, 06:35:32 AM

This.  On a good day going into work I can be there in 10-12 minutes.  On the way home depending on what time, it's usually 20-30 minutes, and yesterday it was like 40 with nothing really horribly different (no accidents or roadwork); this to travel about 6 miles lol  icon_eek
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: