http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 02:51:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outlander..a Chris roberts movie..ya the Wing Commander guy  (Read 3627 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:54:43 AM »

http://outlander.solsector.net/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/

A space man tracks a killer alien to Earth during the Viking age and teams up with them to take it down using a combination of Viking weapons and high tech.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:58:11 AM »

Crazy premise, but that's okay.  The real question is whether this guy has learned to direct yet or not.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:43:55 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 15, 2009, 04:58:11 AM

Crazy premise, but that's okay.  The real question is whether this guy has learned to direct yet or not.

Chris Roberts isn't directing, he's merely a co-producer on this film.  Or do you really wonder whether this Howard McCain guy can direct?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »

Wing Commander was a pretty good movie, so Outlander would at the very least be worth a rental.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 15, 2009, 02:25:22 PM

Wing Commander was a pretty good movie, so Outlander would at the very least be worth a rental.

Heretic.  Thems fightin' words.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 15, 2009, 02:25:22 PM

WHAT?  ban

What in the nine levels of hell were you smoking when you watched the tripe that was the movie? Maybe if you'd never even heard of the Wing Commander series it might've been a semi-entertaining popcorn flick, but for those of us that have actually played all the games, I'm gonna agree with KD - them's fightin' words.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »

sounds like a big bowl of suck with a side order of crap.  Chris Roberts should spend his time on something useful, like making Freelancer 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 15, 2009, 03:15:37 PM

sounds like a big bowl of suck with a side order of crap.  Chris Roberts should spend his time on something useful, like making Freelancer 2.

big +1 to this. 

hell, i would rather watch the cinematics for WC 1-5 than all of the drek that movie was. 

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »

I watch the movie each time I catch it on. great no..time waster yes. I like the jump scenes the best and the fight scenes are ok. But the ships look nothing like the games and the fighters used bullets? smile They couldn't afford all the effects Im guessing. Now even though i liked the movie i find the goofiest scene to be the one where Roberts himself pulls up in a tug to reel in Pilgrim smile

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 12:48:38 AM »

HD trailer just a little different than the other one.

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/play/43179/Super-NES/Outlander/Trailer/Debut-Movie-Trailer/Flash-Video

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 02:23:19 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 17, 2009, 12:48:38 AM

Oh god, that movie is confusing.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 03:28:04 AM »

Wow, I had no idea that Chris Roberts had turned into a real, no-shit producer.  The films he's worked on (Lord of War, The Jacket, Ask the Dust, Lucky Number Slevin) may not be particularly good or successful but they are far ahead of the absolute dreck that was Wing Commander (the movie of course). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 17, 2009, 03:28:04 AM

Wow, I had no idea that Chris Roberts had turned into a real, shit producer.  The films he's worked on (Lord of War, The Jacket, Ask the Dust, Lucky Number Slevin) may not be particularly good or successful but they are far ahead of the absolute dreck that was Wing Commander (the movie of course). 

FTFY  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 05:21:52 AM »

Well, it looks a hell of a lot better than the Wing Commander movie, that's for sure. There may actually be hope yet for this one.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »

Almost seems like the opposite of this, which was based on a Poul Anderson novel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110024/

Book was awesome. Movie not so much apparently.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 17, 2009, 05:21:52 AM

Well, it looks a hell of a lot better than the Wing Commander movie, that's for sure. There may actually be hope yet for this one.

You aren't setting the bar very high there.  WC had to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen; I remember thinking that the games had better graphics than the movie!

"Who are you?"

(Flips around dramatically, and flips her hair over her shoulder.)

"I...am....your WING COMMANDER."

Rivals "Tomorrow We Gouge Evil From it's Shell" for the all-time bad movie line.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 12:36:12 AM »

Quote from: Eightball on January 17, 2009, 07:25:41 PM

Quote from: Destructor on January 17, 2009, 05:21:52 AM

You aren't setting the bar very high there.  WC had to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen; I remember thinking that the games had better graphics than the movie!

Well, no, I'm not. It does look a hell of a lot better than WC does - because WC was utter tripe.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 12:52:34 AM »

The trailer looked mildly interesting. It sort of reminded me of Pathfinder, which wasn't that far off since apparently Karl Urban was supposed to play the main character at one point and the movie was originally supposed to shoot in New Zealand. Then I checked out some of the clips from the movie's website. Never mind. What boundless crap that was. The clip of the shield fight was so mind-numbingly stupid I can't believe that was supposed to be taken seriously.

As for Wing Commander, I don't think there was a movie more disappointing to me than that unholy aberration. As a fan of the games, the movie was WC in name only. Matthew Lillard should lose his SAG membership for destroying the character of Maniac. Don't even get me started on Freddie Prinze Jr. This movie is so bad, it makes the live action stuff from the Wing Commander 3 and 4 games look like high cinema. They could have shot a full movie with that cast (Mark Hamill, Ginger Lynn, Tom Wilson, etc.) and it would have been better than the "real" movie. Chris Roberts can rot in hell for ruining the WC franchise in his egomaniacal effort to become a hot shot movie producer.

What? Me bitter? Nah.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »

Something must be wrong with me because I watch it every time I catch it on. I look at as WC in a alternate universe and its ok that way. I too wish it had been true to the games. And for F's sake why did they not use the Tigers Claw ship model?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 01:22:27 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 18, 2009, 01:21:00 AM

Something must be wrong with me

well duh.

Tongue

Because I can,
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 04:11:53 AM »

Hey, it obviously wasn't great, but I still found the WC movie enjoyable. Could have used some Hammill though... I do agree though, I wish they'd get back to making some games as the genre could really use the help. Too bad Digital Anvil only laster a couple years.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 05:15:46 AM »

Could always use another Freespace smile

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 09:55:16 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 17, 2009, 03:28:04 AM

Wow, I had no idea that Chris Roberts had turned into a real, no-shit producer.  The films he's worked on (Lord of War, The Jacket, Ask the Dust, Lucky Number Slevin) may not be particularly good or successful but they are far ahead of the absolute dreck that was Wing Commander (the movie of course). 

lucky nr slevin was a damn good movie, with twists that surprised most people I know about... Lord of war wasnt bad either

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 11:12:05 AM »

On the other hand, depending on the type of producer, being a producer isn't that hard.  The spectrum runs from people who like to micromanage to the point where they're the defacto director, and others that simply throw money at projects that they like, but otherwise stay out of the way of the creatives.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on January 18, 2009, 12:52:34 AM

This movie is so bad, it makes the live action stuff from the Wing Commander 3 and 4 games look like high cinema. They could have shot a full movie with that cast (Mark Hamill, Ginger Lynn, Tom Wilson, etc.) and it would have been better than the "real" movie. Chris Roberts can rot in hell for ruining the WC franchise in his egomaniacal effort to become a hot shot movie producer.

What? Me bitter? Nah.

Agreed. That would've totally rocked.

And an eternal pox on the devs for making Hobbes turn traitor for absolutely no reason whatsoever in WC3. He actually HAD a reason to do so (if you got the 'movie reel box edition' you got the full script of the game, including what wasn't used), and it was never revealed in the game at all.

No, I'm not bitter at all. biggrin

map

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »

Agree with Razgon about "Lucky Number Slevin". Great little movie.

Save America, shoot your television.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »

Quote from: map on January 18, 2009, 03:45:29 PM

Agree with Razgon about "Lucky Number Slevin". Great little movie.

Was very surprised at how much I dug that movie myself.  lord of War wasn't bad either.

morlac00 on PSN
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 10:56:34 PM »

Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed Wing Commander here. Sure it was no Battlefield Earth, but still managed to hold it's own.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2009, 10:52:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 18, 2009, 02:23:59 PM

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on January 18, 2009, 12:52:34 AM

This movie is so bad, it makes the live action stuff from the Wing Commander 3 and 4 games look like high cinema. They could have shot a full movie with that cast (Mark Hamill, Ginger Lynn, Tom Wilson, etc.) and it would have been better than the "real" movie. Chris Roberts can rot in hell for ruining the WC franchise in his egomaniacal effort to become a hot shot movie producer.

What? Me bitter? Nah.

Agreed. That would've totally rocked.

And an eternal pox on the devs for making Hobbes turn traitor for absolutely no reason whatsoever in WC3. He actually HAD a reason to do so (if you got the 'movie reel box edition' you got the full script of the game, including what wasn't used), and it was never revealed in the game at all.

No, I'm not bitter at all. biggrin

interesting.  please tell me more.  hobbes' betrayal still ranks high as one of those "oh shit, he did what?" moments of gaming.  i remember when i saw that, i was so damn excited to talk about it to a friend who would be playing it after i lent him the discs. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 03:17:45 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 19, 2009, 10:52:48 PM

interesting.  please tell me more.  hobbes' betrayal still ranks high as one of those "oh shit, he did what?" moments of gaming.  i remember when i saw that, i was so damn excited to talk about it to a friend who would be playing it after i lent him the discs. 

After digging around, I found the script (good old WCNews). In it, has this part (which I sure as heck never remembered seeing playing the game). It was supposed to be found in your locker after Hobbes does what he does:

Colonel, I am returning to my Homeworld - - but my admiration for you compels me to provide an explanation for my actions . . .
    -> (beat)
You must understand that the Hobbes you knew was a construct, the result of an identity-overlay experiment, initiated long ago by Prince Thrakhath.  Lord Ralgha nar Hhallas, you have never truly met.  I myself never met him until I heard the Prince utter you Kilrathi title, ‘The Heart of the Tiger.’  This was the trigger that awakened my true personality - - hidden for so many years.  Once awakened by the words of my Prince, I had no choice but to perform his bidding.
    -> (beat)
Kilrathi do not surrender, nor do we betray.  And yet, in being true to my kind, I have betrayed you - - for I have watched you, Colonel - - know you are an honorable warrior . . . If we meet again . . . will have no choice but to perform our duties . . . with honor . . .

Interesting, no? I still think it's a cop-out, but at least it gives it a bit of a reason.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 03:30:47 AM »

Yeah, the lack of explanation for Hobbes betrayl was always a maor WTF and blemish on what is otherwise one of my favorite games of all time.  I'd love to find out why they cut the explanation. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 04:46:32 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 20, 2009, 03:17:45 AM

Quote from: Caine on January 19, 2009, 10:52:48 PM

After digging around, I found the script (good old WCNews). In it, has this part (which I sure as heck never remembered seeing playing the game). It was supposed to be found in your locker after Hobbes does what he does:

Colonel, I am returning to my Homeworld - - but my admiration for you compels me to provide an explanation for my actions . . .
    -> (beat)
You must understand that the Hobbes you knew was a construct, the result of an identity-overlay experiment, initiated long ago by Prince Thrakhath.  Lord Ralgha nar Hhallas, you have never truly met.  I myself never met him until I heard the Prince utter you Kilrathi title, ‘The Heart of the Tiger.’  This was the trigger that awakened my true personality - - hidden for so many years.  Once awakened by the words of my Prince, I had no choice but to perform his bidding.
    -> (beat)
Kilrathi do not surrender, nor do we betray.  And yet, in being true to my kind, I have betrayed you - - for I have watched you, Colonel - - know you are an honorable warrior . . . If we meet again . . . will have no choice but to perform our duties . . . with honor . . .

Interesting, no? I still think it's a cop-out, but at least it gives it a bit of a reason.

the lost scene.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 02:55:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2009, 04:46:32 AM

So, I ask again - why the heck was this cut out of the original PC release (the blurb on the link states it was put back in for other releases)?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »

I blame EA. I blame them for everything.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 05:56:19 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 20, 2009, 04:35:00 PM

Problem is that Origin wasn't owned by EA back then. At least I don't think so.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 20, 2009, 05:56:19 PM

IIRC EA bought Origin in 1992 and Wing Commander 3 was released in 1994.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 20, 2009, 07:43:00 PM

Quote from: Destructor on January 20, 2009, 05:56:19 PM

IIRC EA bought Origin in 1992 and Wing Commander 3 was released in 1994.

yep, just about the time EA was supposedly being heavy handed with Ultima 8.

Because I can,
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 04:35:15 AM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on January 18, 2009, 10:56:34 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed Wing Commander here. Sure it was no Battlefield Earth, but still managed to hold it's own.

Holy crap BE was far worse than WC and I couldn't even get through all of WC.

And Slevin kicked booty.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:13 PM »

I had the MST3K crew on BE and that was STILL a hard movie to get through.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2009, 12:48:28 AM »

Clearly then, your taste in movies is lacking!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: