http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 02:59:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ouch....Got this in my inbox this morning  (Read 1365 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2004, 01:42:42 PM »

As we move at a quick pace to augment our existing internal network with high speed internet connections, content filtering has become a hot topic again.  Over the past week, we have been using a passive content filter system to log how our associates use the Internet / World Wide Web in their normal day to day business lives.  Needless to say, the results were disappointing.

Effective immediately, this content filtering system has been activated to block inappropriate content.  Our goal is to have a safe, harmonious and professional work environment where there are minimal distractions from work.  As friendly a place as this is and we want it to continue to be, it is also expected that our associates will exhibit high standards of professional conduct.  This decision will help us in that regard.

Also, if you need more information about Internet access and electronic communications, please consult section 8.3 of the Cable One Associate Handbook.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to send me an email or give me a call.  Thanks.

Thankfully its aimed at everyone, but yowza!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 01:57:14 PM »

NO MORE FURRY PR0N FOR YOU!!!1!11

PWNED!!!

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
malchior
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 02:05:01 PM »

This is becoming a huge issue.  I've been bombarded with sales calls about content filtering/file sharing filtering(I'm a network manager at a medium sized college).

If your bosses didn't want to do it before, they will soon when these guys cram their inboxes with the horrors and legal liabilities inherent in not content filtering.
Poleaxe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 02:36:11 PM »

Unfortunately, it is inevitable.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 05:24:08 PM »

Quote from: "malchior"
This is becoming a huge issue.  I've been bombarded with sales calls about content filtering/file sharing filtering(I'm a network manager at a medium sized college).

If your bosses didn't want to do it before, they will soon when these guys cram their inboxes with the horrors and legal liabilities inherent in not content filtering.

Well, thankfully here at work we have open access to the 'net. Short of a few sites which bring up a giant 'this site isn't approved for viewing' (ads mainly, oddly enough), or bring up some other kind of warning from our work firewall, they don't seem to care what we're doing.

On the flip side, surfing the net is against the company's policies and procedures handbook, but screw them. smile

Oh, and Mitch - ROFL

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 05:39:26 PM »

I can feel the noose getting tighter and tighter.

When I first started here, I was in complete control of our company's network and email. There were no restrictions on internet usage.

Slowly my control has been eroded. Now we're at a point where our internet flows through our parent company. Our firewall is configured and controlled by our parent company. Our mail flows through and is filtered by our parent company.

My job is fairly secure (knock on wood) because they'll always need someone to do front-line tech support here, but I think my dreams of being a big network admin are over. I'm nothing but a glorified custodian for a network that is truly controlled by people hundreds of miles away.
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 09:50:55 PM »

Quote from: "YellowKing"
My job is fairly secure (knock on wood) because they'll always need someone to do front-line tech support here, but I think my dreams of being a big network admin are over. I'm nothing but a glorified custodian for a network that is truly controlled by people hundreds of miles away.

Interesting - I'm in almost the same boat.

Our Citrix server is managed by Region Tech Support.

All WAN provisioning and configuring is handled by our corporate IT team.

Hell, I didn't even have logon privs to the local DC for the last few weeks, until I yelled about it today!

It says "Network Admin" next to my name, but  I'm really little more than local PC support and a helpdesk.

:cry:

On the plus side, our internet access is unfiltered - but that also is managed by region staff, so that could change at any moment...   thumbsdown

Ohh, new smilies on this board!  Here's one for the corporate WAN staff:   finger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: