http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orlando FL Honeymoon  (Read 2285 times)
biggercup
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »

I am planning honeymoon to Orlando FL this June.
Does anyone know any deal, tips, good place to eat, etc.??

I am thinking about getting package deal, staying one of Disney Hotel.
Planning to stay for a week and go to Disney World, and Universal Studio. Any other place I should go?

Any help will be great  icon_biggrin
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:46:02 PM »

Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are awesome.  Disney World, not so much. 

I lived in Orlando for six months but most of the places I liked to eat at weren't anything special so I can't offer much in the way of tips there. 
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 04:49:38 PM »

D00D!

Congrats!

I did orlando with the fam in late jan. so you'll be going at peak times.

It goes without saying that you need to book now.  In fact, hopefully not, it might already be too late to get the best dealios.

That said: All of the Disney parks are awesome.  All of them for different reasons. If it's just you and teh spouse, you should have a grand time.  I would recommend getting a multi-day pass at Disney with the parkhopper option.  MDPs are cheaper per day and the parkhopper lets you go from any park to any other park as my times in a day as you want. Otherwise you're locked into one for the day.

We also did universal back in 1999.  It was AWESOME from a rides perspective (it's probably vastly different now) but if the Terminator attraction is still there, go for it.  As for park maintenance and atmosphere, nothing touches Disney.  Period.

They were still working on islands of adventure so I gots no comment on that.

As for staying on the disney lot, that does have it's perks, but you may be able to rent a whole house for the same price. Again, we went in offseason, so we were able to rent a 3bdroom townhouse for a week for 1000.00. Of course we have two kids, so being in a hotel would have been ho-hell. Get it?! ROFLOMGBBQ!

It will be very hot. So lotso sunscreen and hats and such. Finally, take advantage of all of those whatever they're called where you can get an advance ticket to a ride if you show up at a certain time. That will save you hours of line time.

Woot.

I done and went Pete ROck on this post.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 05:06:11 PM »

Yeah, I know I am little late on booking...
We (actually our parents) decide on date just last month.. Everything is moving crazy fast.

I just hope honeymoon is not over our budget  crybaby

How many days do I need for Disney and Universal ?
Do I have time to go to other place beside Disney and Universal or do they take whole week.

Thanks

Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

Seaworld
Wet N Wild
Drive to the Beach

I just got back from a week vacation their with wife and 2 yr old son. Had a wedding to go to so made it a week long vacation instead of just the weekend.

We went to Disney (Magic Kingdom), Seaworld and Cocoa beach. Disney was OK but more fun due to watching my kid have a ball. Wife liked it as she had never been there before and had to go at least once even if its more for kids. It was interesting going from "Its a Small World" to "Pirates of the Caribbean" to see how far the animatronic rides have come. We had parkhopper passes but didnt have time to check the other parks as it took the whole day to see MK but many hours were lost waiting in line for pics with characters. The other Disney parks do seem to have more adult rides entertainment but we didnt have time to check them out as most of our time was spent visiting family. Getting into Disney and Seaworld free also made it more enjoyable then if you had to spend all the dough (Its nice having connections in a tourist town! smile )

The wife might be going back in a few months for business and I might go to since I would only have to pay for a planeflight since her ticket and hotel would be covered by her work. Would like to hit Universal for more adult rides and go down to NASA while she is busy at a conference. There is also a Salvador Dali museum in Sarasota that I wouldnt might going to. There is tons of touristy type stuff to do in the area.

We used priceline to get plane tickets and hotel (wife gets hotel discount due to govt work, yeah!). Car was from Budget and was decent. Inlaws got ripped off by Alamo who forced them to by some new insurance that the company claimed everyone has to take due to hurricane katrina (Not sure if company meant just Alamo or industry wide but Inlaws understood it as any rental car company not just Alamo). Budget just offered their insurance and we declined and never mentioned what Alamo did.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 05:31:12 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on April 20, 2007, 05:06:11 PM

Do I have time to go to other place beside Disney and Universal or do they take whole week.

It was several years ago so my memory is kind of hazy but I think we spent three days between Universal and Islands of Adventure and, even then, I'm not sure we were able to fit everything we wanted in.  Of course that's also because many of the rides were so great we had to go multiple times.

Disney I'm not a good judge of since I think it's wasted on adults unless you're a really big fan of the characters.  Wild Animal Park was very cool though and that can be done in as little as half a day.   
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »

They open a park one hour early each day.  Either go to the park in the early hour or avoid it that day altogether.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 06:39:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 20, 2007, 05:31:12 PM

Quote from: biggercup on April 20, 2007, 05:06:11 PM

It was several years ago so my memory is kind of hazy but I think we spent three days between Universal and Islands of Adventure and, even then, I'm not sure we were able to fit everything we wanted in.  Of course that's also because many of the rides were so great we had to go multiple times.

Disney I'm not a good judge of since I think it's wasted on adults unless you're a really big fan of the characters.  Wild Animal Park was very cool though and that can be done in as little as half a day.   

Odd. My wife, little brother and I did both Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios in the same day, complete with a nice non-rushed lunch at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville (try the banana bread pudding!).

As far as the Disney parks go, you can spend a day at each one if you've never been. If you have been, and it's just you and the wife with parkhopper passes, you can spend the morning at one park doing the things you like, go get lunch at Epcot (eat in a new country every day!), go do whatever you feel like that afternoon, then hit up whatever park has the best fireworks show that evening. I find the parks are VERY different with just two folks and not an entire family - more relaxed and whimsical, IMO.

Things that are "off the beaten path" at the Disney parks but well worth your time - if you like waterparks, both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are a good time (the former slightly better than the later). The Hoopty-Doo Review (at Wilderness Campgrounds?) is a really fun show with a good all-you can eat southern buffet. The buffet at Animal Kingdom Lodge is pretty exotic, damn tasty, and probably the highest regarded on property (it's also pricey). My sister has worked there off-and-on for the past two-or-three years. I'll see if she has any other suggestions.

Quote from: drifter
They open a park one hour early each day.  Either go to the park in the early hour or avoid it that day altogether.

If you do hit that park, hit it ONLY during that hour. That park will stay super-packed ALL. DAY. LONG.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 07:08:14 PM »

Typhoon Lagoon looks great! I am going to put that in the schedule.

One of only memory I have from last Orland vacation was GIANT Turky leg from Disney World. Do they still have GIANT Turky leg?
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 09:31:47 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on April 20, 2007, 07:08:14 PM

One of only memory I have from last Orland vacation was GIANT Turky leg from Disney World. Do they still have GIANT Turky leg?

I'll let you in on a secret... They never had GIANT turkey legs. What they had was REGULAR sized emu legs. Which are still quite tasty and available (at the very least) in the America section of Epcot.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 11:41:00 PM »

I was in Orlando in July, and had an awesome time.  We did a Universal Multi Park pass, so I can't comment on Disney.

Universal and Islands of Adventure were fantastic, especially if you like coasters.  Both parks have a neat system for rides where bags aren't allowed.  They have lockers that you can rent for free for up to two hours, but when you rent them, it takes a fingerprint, and assigns a locker, which pops open.  When you're done, you scan your fingerprint again, and the locker pops back open.  You can use the lockers beyond the free time, but it starts to cost money.  It's fantastic.

We did both Universal parks in a day each, and I think we got enough out of them.  There's one of those line-skipper passes you can buy, and we had one for the day we were at Islands of Adventure.  It's a neat idea, but we found it was useless.  Basically, you sign up for a ride, and you get a time.  The problem is that the time might be hours and hours away, and once you reserve a time, you can't reserve another time for either four hours, or until your ride time, whichever is first.  We reserved the Hulk coaster at around 9:30, and got a time of 2:30, which meant that for a good chunk of the day, it did no good.  The other part of the problem is that most of the big attractions at Islands have a singles line which moves magnitudes faster than the main line.  You may not sit together, but you're frequently in the same ride, or just after each other.  As an example, the Spiderman ride (which is stupendous) had a wait time of over an hour if you used the main line.  By going in the singles line, the GF and I rode 3 times in 40 minutes.

As for good attractions, Spiderman, Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Terminator 3D, and the Men in Black were fantastic (Men in Black keeps score!).  Back to the Future is easily skippable, as is Twister.

SeaWorld was terrible in mid-July.  Almost all the things to do are scheduled shows, which means half the park is trying to be at each thing, so you have to get there a half hour early for each show (which sometimes isn't possible), and that means sitting in a giant aluminium reflector sweating for a half hour.  Terrible.  The redeeming factor was the Shark Restaurant.  Literally one entire wall of the restaurant is a window into the shark tank.  We were seated at a table right next to the glass, so got to eat with a ton of sharks swimming next to us.  The food was mediocre, but the atmosphere was unforgettable.  Easily worth the price of admission.  Also, at the back of the park is a brewery thing that will give you a free beer.

As for non-park things to do, head away from Universal on I-Drive, and there's a bunch of fun things.  There's a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum (easy to find because the building is upside-down), and next door is a neat hands-on science museum.  Down the road from that is the Pac-man Cafe, which was one of my birthday presents.  It's got a cool 9' tall Pac-man outside, and inside is a restaurant with a huge arcade on the second floor.  For ~$20 each, you can buy a card that gives you two hours of free play in every machine in the arcade, and they've got an impressive selection.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 12:06:58 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on April 20, 2007, 07:08:14 PM

Yeah we still have the baby Ostrich legs  icon_wink
http://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/award.htmlGet you taste buds ready (O.B.T location) Land&Sea dish.

http://www.discoverycove.com/default2.aspxan Experience worth doing.

http://www.wetnwildorlando.com/ Makes typhoon Lagoon looks like child's play.

http://www.buschgardens.com/BGT/default.aspx You can not, not do this. 45min from Disney, max.

http://www.universalorlando.comThis is what Orlando is about forget Disney.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/epfw-mission.htm  I forgot Disney had that.

Enjoy you will have fun. OH if it looks like rain any day you get up don't even bother going to the parks, you will be disappointed. Being the lighting capital of the world rides will close. Tickets are abundant except for Discovery cove.

Feel free to ask me anything you want to know about here. If I don't know it I can make a quick call.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:19:57 AM by juniordan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 12:25:33 AM »

Gezzzzz Chaz...Couldn't even say hello.... disgust
At least ATB said something on his way thru (our water tasted like piss). Roll Eyes

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 03:21:44 AM »

Hmm...I seem to have typed July without mentioning that it was actually a year ago last July.  My bad for not commenting on your lousy water as well.  biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 03:53:52 AM »

There's one of those line-skipper passes you can buy, and we had one for the day we were at Islands of Adventure.  It's a neat idea, but we found it was useless.  Basically, you sign up for a ride, and you get a time.  The problem is that the time might be hours and hours away, and once you reserve a time, you can't reserve another time for either four hours, or until your ride time, whichever is first.  We reserved the Hulk coaster at around 9:30, and got a time of 2:30, which meant that for a good chunk of the day, it did no good.  The other part of the problem is that most of the big attractions at Islands have a singles line which moves magnitudes faster than the main line.  You may not sit together, but you're frequently in the same ride, or just after each other.  As an example, the Spiderman ride (which is stupendous) had a wait time of over an hour if you used the main line.  By going in the singles line, the GF and I rode 3 times in 40 minutes.

Wow, they charge for that now?  It was free when we were there and it was awesome.  They had kiosks where you could get the passes so you didn't have to be physically present at the ride to get them.  So we would sort of plan out our day (ie grab passes on the opposite side of the park for later in the day) around them.  And on quite a few of the rides they had employees handing out passes too.  We'd get off of Hulk at 9:30 in the morning and someone would be handing out passes to Dueling Dragons for 10:00.  So we'd head on over and get on the ride within five minutes.  I don't think we ever waited longer than 15 minutes outside of the T2 ride.  I refuse to go to any amusement parks anymore that don't use that system - the old standby of waiting in line for 45 minutes or more for a 3 minute ride is now intolerable.  But having to buy them would be a major bummer. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 03:56:27 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on April 21, 2007, 12:06:58 AM

Enjoy you will have fun. OH if it looks like rain any day you get up don't even bother going to the parks, you will be disappointed. Being the lighting capital of the world rides will close.

Man, tell me about it.  When I lived there it would rain and lighning storm every day in the summer like clockwork at 3:30 pm.  It sucked too because I was on the (now gone) Navy Nuclear Power School there and they would actually shut down the base during the storms, preventing you from arriving or leaving. 
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 04:25:09 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 20, 2007, 11:41:00 PM

Down the road from that is the Pac-man Cafe, which was one of my birthday presents.  It's got a cool 9' tall Pac-man outside, and inside is a restaurant with a huge arcade on the second floor.  For ~$20 each, you can buy a card that gives you two hours of free play in every machine in the arcade, and they've got an impressive selection.

This reminds me of another big draw, this time at Downtown Disney - DisneyQuest. Some absolutely mind-blowing video games in this place. The methods of interactivity, and presentation thereof, are incredible. The Pirates of the Carribean ride has up to five folks get in the prow of a ship surrounded by screens. One person gets behind the ships wheel and drives, everybody else has a cannon. You and your crew sail around a harbor blowing up ships and towns and whatnot... until the undead pirates show up! GREAT game. The river rapids game where you're in a raft on matresses of air is pretty amazing as well, as your raft rolls and rocks around depending on where you paddle. There's some bumper cars with dodgeball cannons, a build your own roller-coaster sim, classic arcade games, and other goodies as well. Pretty sure the mutli-day park hopper passes get you at least one free admittance. Easily a fun afternoon's worth of entertainment.

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 10:47:59 PM »

Thanks for all the info  icon_lol
I would love to go to Pac-man Cafe and Disney Quest, however I don't think I can stay long enough to enjoy playing videogames during honeymoon without getting $X&%** by my future wife. crybaby

RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 11:22:03 PM »

I highly recommend going about an hour outside of Orlando and taking a swamp boat tour.  It is a nice change from the tourist track, fun zooming through the swamp and you get to get up close and personal with alligators doing their thing.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 04:45:33 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on April 21, 2007, 10:47:59 PM

Thanks for all the info  icon_lol
I would love to go to Pac-man Cafe and Disney Quest, however I don't think I can stay long enough to enjoy playing videogames during honeymoon without getting $X&%** by my future wife. crybaby
DisneyQuest, at least, is interactive enough that your wife-to-be will enjoy herself if she has any kid in her at all.  The only question is whether or not it will still be open when you get there (I don't recall what the timetable is for closing it).  Downtown Disney itself is a pretty good way to spend your checkin day.  One of the benefits to staying on a Disney property is using the transportation system, and my bride and I found ourselves at Downtown Disney every night.  Even though we don't eat much fast food, they've got a McDonald's with an expanded dessert bar, and the soft serve cones at about a buck apiece were some of the best bargains we found all week.

If you're driving to Orlando, getting to Universal is no problem, and is a pretty good use of a couple of days.  If you're flying and staying at a Disney hotel, I'm not so sure I'd spend the cash to taxi/rent a car to get to Universal unless you're a total adrenaline junkie.

When my bride and I hit WDW for our honeymoon, we stayed on property without any dining plan, and were able to get by on $50 a day between the two of us for food/tips/incidentals.  The big tips if you fly: get a limo (town car) service to take you to and from the airport, and ask the driver to make a pit stop at a Publix supermarket on the way.  We got a week's worth of snacks, breakfasts, and sandwiches, and were able to avoid grabbing expensive food just to fill our stomachs.  This allowed us to save up for two really good meals at sit down restaurants without breaking our budget.  The rest of the time, the takeaway style walkups were plenty.  Also, if you stay on property, the bottomless drink cup was well worth it.  My wife and I don't drink alcohol, so afternoons by the pool with just a hundred yard walk for as many soft drinks as we cared for proved a nice lazy way to spend the hottest part of the days, without spending an extra penny.

Check around for packages; we ended up getting seven nights on property at a medium level resort, airfare, and unlimited park hopping for about $2200 offseason in 2003.  Even after including limo service, meals, and gifts (we bought about $200 in Christmas ornaments), we spent under $3000.

Too bad the wife insisted on buying a house - our return trip cash is going to pay for a new roof. frown
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 10:22:08 PM »

You Disney haters can bugger off.

I've been to both and Universal's wannabe park is NOTHING compared to Disney.     Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, Soarin', Rockin' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Mission Space, the rapids in Animal Kingdom, and Splash Mountain....   are you kiddin me?   Nowhere better on this planet.

Universal = ghetto Disney.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 03:30:35 AM »

If you're lookin' for tasty food bargains check "The Earl of Sandwich" at Downtown Disney. Every time we went we estimated over half the patrons to be Disney cast-members. GREAT sandwiches for a reasonable price.

"Goofy Candy Co." is a fun way to spend some time as well. You can custom-order pretzel sticks, marshmallows, apples, oversize Oreos and other treats covered in caramel, chocolate, nuts, sprinkles, etc.

And while I mostly agree that Universal is "ghetto Disney," the Spiderman ride is one of the single greatest attractions in Orlando. They've managed to out-Disney Disney on that one. Men in Black is also quite badass - though its complimentary Disney ride, Buzz Lightyear, is equally a blast.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 03:50:52 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 22, 2007, 10:22:08 PM

You Disney haters can bugger off.

I've been to both and Universal's wannabe park is NOTHING compared to Disney.     Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, Soarin', Rockin' Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, Dinosaur, Expedition Everest, Mission Space, the rapids in Animal Kingdom, and Splash Mountain....   are you kiddin me?   Nowhere better on this planet.

Universal = ghetto Disney.

Space Mountain- SUCH a letdown.  Maybe it would have been awesome twenty years ago but now totally not work the wait in line.  Tower of Terror was fun though. 
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 03:54:45 AM »

I scares me how much these places have changed from whe I went last.

Course when I went last, The Big new ride at universal was Back to the future....  And Disneys Pirates of the VCarribean Ride was this horribly old Animitronic ride.  The Highlight of Disney for me was Either Epcott and checking out/snacking at all the different lands and when Minnie Mouse hit on me...  But I digress...

Seems to me if your going to spend your time on a honeymoon you should ask the wife what she wants to do, plan a little more than half your time around that and then the rest of the time hitting places you want to see or trying new things...

This way you start the honeymoon out with the basis her opinions matter more, since it saves time later on.

lol

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 11:03:26 AM »

Quote from: Semaj on April 23, 2007, 03:54:45 AM

This way you start the honeymoon out with the basis her opinions matter more, since it saves time later on.

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 04:34:22 PM »

Quote from: RedJak on April 21, 2007, 11:22:03 PM

I highly recommend going about an hour outside of Orlando and taking a swamp boat tour.  It is a nice change from the tourist track, fun zooming through the swamp and you get to get up close and personal with alligators doing their thing.

That is great idea!
Alligators and swamp.. I love getting her scared and make her hold me tight.  icon_lol
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 04:38:23 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 23, 2007, 11:03:26 AM

Quote from: Semaj on April 23, 2007, 03:54:45 AM

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

You know it's so true..
Wedding and honeymoon is about what bride/wife wants to do and only 10% is what you want to do (then again what I want to do is sleep, play games, read book, etc)

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 06:23:04 PM »

Of course, all this assumes that the young couple actually winds up leaving the room on the honeymoon.

Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 12:15:47 PM »

Whatever you do, get the Disney Dining Plan.

Went there last year on our honeymoon and I can't begin to imagine how much more money we would have spent if we didn't have the DDP.

And by the way, Disney World FTW.  End of discussion smile.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: