http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 03:59:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Origins 2008  (Read 969 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »

so, anyone going to Origins this year?  Last year there was an attempt to organize a get together but RL issues ruined most of the con for me, but this year I should be available to meet and greet, probably in the evening after 8 or 9 (I'm not sure of my schedule and can't look it up on the site).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:05:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 18, 2008, 03:46:57 PM

so, anyone going to Origins this year?  Last year there was an attempt to organize a get together but RL issues ruined most of the con for me, but this year I should be available to meet and greet, probably in the evening after 8 or 9 (I'm not sure of my schedule and can't look it up on the site).

Alright, this year you have no excuse to avoid the chicago gang, you dork.  We'll be at the Drury hotel attached to the convention center.  Zarathud and Seppe will be getting there Thursday afternoon, while I'll be arriving either Thursday night or early Friday morning.  We're all scheduled for the Arkham Horror game at noon on Saturday and the Car Wars game at 6 pm that same day, so try to get into them if you want to play with us losers.

I'll PM you with a RL name so you can look us up at the hotel Friday.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:18:04 PM »

cool. I'll have to check but I think I have the noon time slot open on Saturday.

Because I can,
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 18, 2008, 04:05:31 PM

CeeKay doesn't have a RL Name?

That's very sad.

Spawn of OO Collective
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »

Quote from: chaosraven on June 18, 2008, 04:29:52 PM

Quote from: hepcat on June 18, 2008, 04:05:31 PM

CeeKay doesn't have a RL Name?

That's very sad.

but safer for his family and friends...

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »

I just got offered free hotel and tickets for Origins if I would put in a couple of hours a day being a booth monkey at Twilight Creations.  But I can't.  Cause I've already got plans to go to WizardWorld and have to get my daughter from camp.

Sucks.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on June 18, 2008, 05:07:06 PM

I just got offered free hotel and tickets for Origins if I would put in a couple of hours a day being a booth monkey at Twilight Creations.  But I can't.  Cause I've already got plans to go to WizardWorld and have to get my daughter from camp.

Sucks.

...i'm choking on my own rage here

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 18, 2008, 05:18:37 PM

Quote from: hentzau on June 18, 2008, 05:07:06 PM

Sucks.

...i'm choking on my own rage here

Fury rising?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:49:59 AM »

Looks like it's a pretty lousy swag bag this year:  a 6 sided die, a pack of post it notes and an unsharpened Pokemon pencil plus the normal fliers.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »

sheesh, the past 2 years I was given enough swag to choke a horse.   icon_cry

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »

well, thanks to an insane night of heavy rain, a ton of lightning and tornado sirens here in Columbus I didn't get much sleep and missed my first game of the day  icon_frown  I imagine the people who came into town for the con last night had a blast.  anyways, it looks like I'll be busy til 8pm on Friday and from noon to 6pm on Saturday, but beyond that I don't have anything registered.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:53:02 AM »

well, as typical of my Origins experience, I ended up being busier playing than I expected.  I tried to find your Car Wars game, but the info desk wasn't any help and I didn't see anything resembling Car Wars (or at least what I think of when I think Car Wars) being played in the miniatures hall.  I didn't get free again until after midnight, after which I needed to get home.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 02:50:58 PM »

I'm not buyin' that excuse.  The Saturday night car wars game was in the tabletop room.  Since there were only two large rooms (the tabletop game room and the miniatures room), you basically had a 50/50 chance in finding us.  Considering that the car wars set up was roughly the size of michigan AND you had my personal contact info, it's safe to assume that zarathud and I mean nothing to you.  You hate us, you really hate us.  You make baby jesus cry.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 03:12:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 01, 2008, 02:50:58 PM

I'm not buyin' that excuse.  The Saturday night car wars game was in the tabletop room.  Since there were only two large rooms (the tabletop game room and the miniatures room), you basically had a 50/50 chance in finding us.  Considering that the car wars set up was roughly the size of michigan AND you had my personal contact info, it's safe to assume that zarathud and I mean nothing to you.  You hate us, you really hate us.  You make baby jesus cry.

wait.. the Car Wars game that was listed in the minatures section of the program was in the tabletop room?  Just out of curiosity, where did they put the Arkham Asylum game?  in the Pokemon CCG section?  Tongue  I tried to find that too when my noon Saturday game ended, but it was a few hours after it started and probably already broken down.  My only real free time was on Saturday, and thanks to a great sales pitch by a really cute girl I ended up in an extra game that didn't end to late, at which point Zombie CeeKay stumbled home.  BTW, if you love Zombie survival games and can handle boffer combat the Rising game is one to check out next year.  It's definitely alot more physical than sitting at a table rolling dice  icon_wink

The con seemed kinda disorganized this year.  One game I was playing was listed as being in the Crowne Hotel, so I went there and found a sign saying it had been moved to the Hyatt Peppercorn.  I consulted the map only to find that room is not on it.  So I figure I'll ask the nearest Origins info desk, and after several minutes of consultation I got the 'I think it's' directions (which turned out to be mostly right), and I couldn't believe they had no way to pull up info on where a game would be at the info desk.

On a fun note, as the bus downtown was packed all weekend due to a festival going on, I ended up walking about 16 miles back and forth between the con and home (it's about 2 miles one way) between going home to sleep and checking on the dogs during the day.  By Sunday I was so sore from boffer combat and walking I didn't even make it down for a final run through the exhibit hall.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »

Yeah, Columbus had a "Com Festival" (which I was informed was short for "Community Festival"...which I then immediately translated into "Corn Fest" for anyone who asked what all the hub-bub was about.  I even added that this year they were paying tribute to Sweet Corn:  The most succulent of corns).

As for the disorganized feel, I got that same vibe.  One of my games simply said the location was "Customer Service" which resulted in a friend and I walking all over the place asking everyone we saw what the hell THAT meant.  Thankfully we eventually stumbled upon the right location by accident.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: