http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:30:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Organized Competitive Adult Sports...  (Read 729 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:55:46 PM »

On occasion I'll lurk over at OO, primarily to read through their Fitocracy discussion, and I stumbled across a thread on whether members are still capable of playing baseball/softball as adults.  I also noticed Kurth had begun playing competitive tennis when he logged a game under his Fitocracy account.

That got me to thinking about how many GT members we might have who continue to remain active in organized competitive sports as adults.  Many of us played organized sports in elementary school, high school, and even college, but how many of us have continued to keep that competitive flame burning?  I'm not talking about father/son family picnic games or tossing the football around the back yard, but actual competitive leagues where more than just bragging rights are on the line.  Perhaps a trophy, free T-shirts, or even cash could be the coveted prize.

A few of our friends compete in an organized flag football league, some play WAKA kickball to earn trips to Vegas, and a few friends even play in an adult basketball league.  

My wife, who played Division I softball in college, currently plays in three competitive softball leagues (B-league on Wednesday and Friday, D-league for fun on Thursday), playing 1st base on Wednesday, left field on Friday, and alternating between various infield and outfield positions on Thursday.  I play softball with my wife on the Wednesday and Friday B-league teams typically playing 3rd or shortstop on Wednesday and shortstop on Friday.  We also play in at least one softball tournament each month, and some months we could play in as many as three.  

So how many others do we have among us unwilling to allow their athletic competitive fires to subside?  I'm really curious to see how many others compete as adults and the variety of sports represented.  Granted, we may require more help from Aleve or Motrin the farther we get in our "careers," but there's something to performing on a competitive level despite a progressing age.  Even if ice becomes an even closer friend.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:57:57 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

I used to play in a pretty high level hockey league (some pro's showed up in the summer), but having kids took all my spare time.

Thinking about softball this year though.

I miss it.  icon_frown

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »

Quote from: Devil on March 29, 2012, 07:40:07 PM

I used to play in a pretty high level hockey league (some pro's showed up in the summer), but having kids took all my spare time.

Thinking about softball this year though.

I miss it.  icon_frown

You reminded me that a buddy plays on an organized team here in Arizona and a lot of the local college athletes use it to stay fresh during the off-season.  It's even coached part-time by the ASU hockey coach.  Our friend had played for the University of Delaware when he was back in college.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »

I played in local volleyball leagues up until a few years ago.  One of the highlights of my entire life was winning the championship in the finals tournament for a league I had played in for years; we were always major underdogs.  I still remember the opposing team was from WaMu (haha go suck it WaMu!), they all had matching outfits, looked young and spry, and had family/friends cheering them on as they videotaped the match.  They were clearly planning a romp.  The 6 of us looked like a ragtag bunch of old farts, except for one younger guy who sweat puddles (yum!).  To this day I can barely remember the whole experience; the tourney was a single elimination that went all evening so we had to win 3 or 4 matches just to get to the finals.  I was so exhausted but it was so awesome to beat those little turds down.

I would still do it now if I could find a good group of people, though I imagine my mobility would be pretty shot.  I'd love to play in a basketball league too, but it would have to be really lower skill level.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:19:59 PM »

Haha every time someone tries to put together a softball/volleyball/basketball etc.  team it all goes down hill in the first game where somebody ruptures a tendon here or there.  The other side of the coin is when you get the ultra competitive guys trying to win at all costs, a friend of mine is like that and hurt a girl pretty badly sliding into a base during a softball game.  I just can't see it, I burned out on competitive sports in high school (swimming and water polo) and could never see the point in competing in anything after that.  I wouldn't even join a pickup basketball game during a "team building" session, I see no reason to risk my knees for something so stupid IMO.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »

Are you just talking about team sports?

I 'race' mountain bikes in the summer.  I won free socks one time.  And free yoga twice.  There is a local series that has six races over the course of the summer, and then I have two big ones (72 and 50 miles) that I did last summer that I'll do again this summer.  Wife and I are both planning half marathon(s) this year (her first one is Sunday).  She ran the Denver marathon last fall.

I play in an adult broomball league in the winter.  We're called 'Legion of Broom'.  Our shirts are... hot pink.  We were undefeated last season... 4 - 0 - 4. Sheesh. Ties.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:43:07 PM »

I play off and on... most years I'll do one, whether softball or ultimate frisbee (play about 3 times a month anyways). My wife does volleyball.

Mostly we have less team oriented sports though (which is much more flexible for schedules).  I do Tae Kwon Do with a couple friends and she does distance running with some friends.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 29, 2012, 08:40:39 PM

Are you just talking about team sports?

Absolutely not.  I actually had you personally in mind for bike races, and I had hoped to see a nice variety in activities anyway.  Cycling, marital arts, softball, basketball, hell, even curling.  Can you believe there's a curling league here in Arizona?  We've talked about giving it a try in the summer to take a much needed break from the heat.  And hey, if it's in the Olympics, it's a sport.   icon_wink 

I 'race' mountain bikes in the summer.  I won free socks one time.  And free yoga twice.  There is a local series that has six races over the course of the summer, and then I have two big ones (72 and 50 miles) that I did last summer that I'll do again this summer.  Wife and I are both planning half marathon(s) this year (her first one is Sunday).  She ran the Denver marathon last fall.

Nice.  As far as I'm concerned, competition is healthy, no matter what the level of seriousness, as you tend to push yourself harder when something is on the line (winning, prizes, etc). 

I play in an adult broomball league in the winter.  We're called 'Legion of Broom'.  Our shirts are... hot pink.  We were undefeated last season... 4 - 0 - 4. Sheesh. Ties.

Is it a drinking league like kickball?  We played WAKA for a few seasons but it's hella expensive due to the alcohol licensing required to allow drinking on the field. 

Quote from: Zinfan on March 29, 2012, 08:19:59 PM

Haha every time someone tries to put together a softball/volleyball/basketball etc.  team it all goes down hill in the first game where somebody ruptures a tendon here or there.  The other side of the coin is when you get the ultra competitive guys trying to win at all costs, a friend of mine is like that and hurt a girl pretty badly sliding into a base during a softball game.  I just can't see it, I burned out on competitive sports in high school (swimming and water polo) and could never see the point in competing in anything after that.  I wouldn't even join a pickup basketball game during a "team building" session, I see no reason to risk my knees for something so stupid IMO.

I actually won't play men's league softball as they take things way too seriously, even those not necessarily on a skill level presumably allowing for criticism of other players.  I all too often see teammates yelling at each other.   saywhat  We all make mistakes, hence why we're not playing Triple-A baseball, and we're all at a level that we know when we've made a mistake or missed a play.  I don't need some dick making it a point to belabor the point.  And surprisingly, the player skill level in co-ed, at least in the leagues we play in, is as good as, if not better than some men's leagues, mainly since most of the women are ex Division I players and sometimes do a better job than the guys. 

I'm all for being competitive, but not in the manner you describe.  No one wants to get injured or cause injury, if I inadvertently hit a rocket back at the pitcher I immediately apologize and make sure he's okay, I won't come into 2nd cleats up (although I've had people take me out at 2nd trying to break up my double play - it doesn't work  icon_twisted), we congratulate all good plays, even opposing team players, and yelling at teammates is NOT tolerated on our teams.  We play to be competitive but also to have fun.  If it isn't fun, it isn't worth it.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on March 29, 2012, 10:40:07 PM

Is it a drinking league like kickball?  We played WAKA for a few seasons but it's hella expensive due to the alcohol licensing required to allow drinking on the field. 

No, you would puke.  It's a shit-ton of cardio.  Our team does well because it's all endurance racers.  Our team is less good at the fine motor skills required to score goals, hence ties... though we won like 3 in a row towards the end and started scoring more.  We do tend to drink afterwards...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »

Quote from: kratz on March 29, 2012, 10:48:18 PM

We do tend to drink afterwards...

Winning is twice as sweet when washed down with a cold beer.  And losing is almost bearable when drowned in alcohol.  Almost, but not quite.

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »

I work out at work with a buddy three or four times a week.

I just finished a session of broomball and will be doing a Kickball league Monday nights, softball on Sundays and another softball league for church on a yet to be determined week night.

Another three months and ill probably get back to soccer. I've not played organized soccer since my acl surgery 12 months ago, so I'm dying to get back on the pitch. These other sports have been fun to do in the meantime, but I'm ready for soccer again.

Also just got my mountain bike back from the shop today... And I've logged about 200 miles so far this year on my road bike (giant advanced a1). I dont have any races planned though I may do the zoo-de-mack if the wife clears me for a weekend away slywink

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:48:36 AM »

All I do is participate in as much military competitive events as I can:
Combatives
Marksmanship
Best Ranger competition

I have never won first place, but at least I never placed last  icon_surprised

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »

LOL at kickball being a "competitive adult sport".

As for me, hockey 2-3 times a week.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 02:20:05 AM »

Night 1 at the batting cages (subtitle: Lessons Learned)[/b][/u]

Lesson 1: Thursday night at 7:30 is apparently a busy time.  Things clear out a bit when the sun goes down.  Fine by me, I'm more of a night owl anyway.  Keep checking different days/times for best options

You finally get the guy manning the token booth to come back, drop the $8 for 6 tokens, and get to borrow a bat by dropping the ID.  One that looks like it's made for junior high students.

Lesson 2: If you're going to do this again, buy your own damn bat and stock up on tokens so you don't have to suffer through leaving your DL with these people every time you come out.

Since the two slow pitch softball cages are covered up with groups, let's take a look around.  Okay, fast pitch softball, rising speeds of baseball. 

Lesson 3: That 50 mph fast pitch softball cage is empty for a reason.   A) It's pitching flat, knee-high to a 5th grader; and B) This is not where anyone should start.  Which leads directly into...

Lesson 4: You're holding the bat wrong.  Congratulations on finally making contact with that 50 mph grapefruit that's just above your shoe laces.  You have now remembered that you should not be holding the bat with the web of your back hand.  eek

Okay, you've waited out the five women, at least two of which who're either switch hitting or hitting for the other team, and you finally get into the slow pitch cage.

Lesson 5: That ball is still coming down when you swing.  Your first 10 pitches are hot grounders, mostly to the left side.  You're swinging to high, and getting out in front of it.  Get that back elbow down, swing through, and every now and again, try to remember to follow through the full swing.

Finally getting some good line drives and a few frozen ropes that would have scared the crap out of the pitcher had it not been, you know, a huge metal contraption behind a net.

Great, you've gone through six tokens, five of which you actually made decent contact on a large number of balls.  You're out of tokens, don't want to overdo it, and decide to head home.

You know, that's a rather bright red patch on the bottom of your left hand.  Where the knob of the bat has been rubbing each and every time you swung.  There's a nice one forming across the top of your palm as well

Lesson 6: Buy some batting gloves.  There's a reason these things exist.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 02:58:29 PM »

I don't think you can include slow pitch softball as a 'competitive sport.'  C'mon, someone is lobbing a giant ball underhand at you to whack, like you would for a six year old.  Grown men in uniforms doing that is clearly 'for entertainment purposes only.'

I coach Babe Ruth baseball but for adult competition over the summer, I got nothing.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 07:39:52 PM »

Quote from: jament on March 30, 2012, 02:58:29 PM

I don't think you can include slow pitch softball as a 'competitive sport.'  C'mon, someone is lobbing a giant ball underhand at you to whack, like you would for a six year old.  Grown men in uniforms doing that is clearly 'for entertainment purposes only.'

You got me.  But when a 225lb batter hits one back at you from less than 60' away, try fielding it.  There are also a few over at OO who have learned there's at least some skill and conditioning necessary to be competitive in a skill-based league, even with a baseball/softball background.

If you don't think it is competitive, you're playing at the wrong level.

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »

Agreed with Pete here. There are beer leagues for softball and then there are competitive leagues. It really depends which you're participating in.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:27 PM »

Quote from: Devil on March 29, 2012, 07:40:07 PM

This is pretty much my history with hockey. I found ways to still play when I was raising my nephew full-time, but when my son and daughter came along I couldn't  find the time anymore.

My only competitive sport now is dragon boat racing. Lest anyone not be familiar with it, there's no such thing as non-competive dragon boat racing. Even the practices can be damn brutal. Occassionally I'll also get in a short season of Bonaventure canoe racing.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 09:44:52 PM »

I played in a D league softball for fun, but found that it was mostly guys and gals who should be in A or B league and were trying to relive their Al Bundy days.  The team stayed together for about 3 years and now I don't play anymore.  If there was a D league where it could still be semi-competitive, but not guys hitting homers every at bat, I'd still be interested in playing.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »

I was a very good goalie all through high school and college, even went through school on a soccer scholarship (Div 2).  Remained really active in the adult leagues...up until I jacked up my back 2 years ago.  Now I can barely even bend over to pick up a ball, much less actually dive for one.  Tried playing in a game about a year ago, and completely embarrassed myself.  Realized at that point it was time to hang it up, and I haven't played since.

I miss it, but i travel so much with work these days, that it would pretty much be impossible for me to get involved even if I wanted to.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 30, 2012, 09:44:52 PM

I played in a D league softball for fun, but found that it was mostly guys and gals who should be in A or B league and were trying to relive their Al Bundy days.  The team stayed together for about 3 years and now I don't play anymore.  If there was a D league where it could still be semi-competitive, but not guys hitting homers every at bat, I'd still be interested in playing.

That's too bad.  The league we currently play in polices sandbagging pretty aggressively, working pretty hard to make sure teams play in leagues fitting of their skill levels.  If B-level teams are smoking everyone in C-league, they're forced to move up, and if teams in a higher level are struggling they're usually permitted to move back down.  They also limit homeruns, even in B-league, and any subsequent homerun past the limit results in a single. 

That doesn't mean we don't face hitters that could take your face off, but you can be sure to face pretty stiff competition in B, reasonable competition in C (although teams continue to get more and more competitive), and D continues to be the "fun" league mostly comprised of friends looking to do something social together.  We still meet teams in B that are ridiculously good, but I'd rather be forced to play a decent team and struggle than wipe the floor with mediocre competition.  I also have starting wearing a mouth guard in the infield as the ball comes fast and hard.  I'm not risking my money-maker for anything.  Fabulous

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »

I'm just getting healthy now after having knee surgery last sept. I play competitive racquetball will be getting back to playing at the top state and national levels soon.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »

Does League of Legends count?
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »

I've been playing city league basketball for 15 years, ever since I got out of high school.  I've been on teams as high as Div 3 (out of 12 divs) where the level of play is mostly guys who played college ball or good high school ball, and all the way down to div 10 where it's more recreational but still competitive.  There's something awesome about playing organized sports with reffing and a league and playoffs.  Pickup ball is fun, but I'll play league bball as long as I can - although my kids are getting to the age now where I'm getting involved in coaching, which is rewarding in a different way.  Probably run into a conflict there eventually.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 10:40:36 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on April 01, 2012, 08:09:33 PM

There's something awesome about playing organized sports with reffing and a league and playoffs. 

Agreed.  We consistently organize pick-up softball scrimmages with friends we know from the league, but it's a totally different atmosphere during official games.  Playoffs take things to an even higher level, and the tournaments we play in increase that even further.

Healthy competition can really inspire personal progression, improvement, and self-betterment.  While not necessarily a physical "sport" per se, playing competitive billiards in a local league has done wonders for my game.  And despite a limited baseball background, consistent play, practice, and adherence to quality fundamentals have all helped me to earn a spot on our area "A-team", making me a consistent member "all-star" teams assembled for tournaments offering money, prizes, and everlasting fame.   icon_wink

When it comes to basketball, I do enjoy the occasional pick-up game, but lately I've started re-honing my skills to return to the competitive circuit.  After having been a potential walk-on for a Division 1 school back in my college days, it's time for me to see if I can regain some of those retained but somewhat rusty skills. 

Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »

I still play competitive tennis on a fairly regular basis. There's some high level leagues in Atlanta, where at the top levels it is mostly current and former college players and pros. Hopefully going to play for a spot in the US Open mixed doubles main draw a little later this year - they have a wild card tournament, and there are two women I play with some with whom we'd have a real shot at it. That's about it though - I've never competed in martial arts tournaments, and haven't played any organized team sports since I was a ringer for my brother's corporate league team 8 or 9 years ago.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »

Does playing golf for money against your adult (and younger) friends count?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: