http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 01:47:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 221080 times)
MHS
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3360 on: August 29, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »

Quote from: KKBlue on August 29, 2013, 12:34:18 PM

Beat that horse!
During a organizational meeting, I actually said, "Can we stop beating the dead horse and move on to the next topic?"
I think part of the association was because of this awesome emoticon! Well, it didn't take long before GT started to infiltrate my brain, ha.

The fact that you used THAT emoticon right after someone mentions a murder done by baseball bat is kind of hilariously disturbing.

"they're lucky they found an MHS out there, otherwise their fates would have been sealed."
KKBlue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: August 29, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »

I didn't realize that till later yet chose not to delete or alter  icon_twisted  I think it is very important as a woman to always keep people guessing.
Is she a sweetheart or does she turn with the full moon? Is she kind and thoughtful or is she a slugger if given the chance. Is she charitable or does she slam the door in your face.
Carpet_pissr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: August 29, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »

Also: Does she have a secret desire to kill a horse with a bat?
Carpet_pissr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: August 29, 2013, 02:51:08 PM »

Quote from: IceBear on August 28, 2013, 11:22:07 AM

Quote from: Carpet_pissr on August 27, 2013, 04:01:21 PM

Quote from: KKBlue on August 27, 2013, 02:31:13 PM

It appears to be more like "had" a Facebook presence.

If anyone is looking for something to do, may I suggest starting up a FB page?

It's here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/43986578253/
Hmmm, I used to be a member as I can see a post I made but am now not a member.  I have hit join but still waiting approval? Don't seem able to post and I have an option to remove join request

Did you get approved?  I am having a hard time remembering screen names with real names that are listed on the FB page.  If you pulled your request to join, try it again.  At first, it was admin approval only, but I opened it up so that any other member could approve new members.  Hopefully, you aren't an online axe murderer. 
Zaxxon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:16 PM »

Quote from: Carpet_pissr on August 29, 2013, 02:46:44 PM

Also: Does she have a secret desire to kill a horse with a bat?

Secret?
KKBlue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: August 29, 2013, 02:58:33 PM »

Ice Bear is approved on FB.

Zax is correct, very few secrets.

Anger (in my case intense anger) is part of the grieving process. The death of OO has caused the stages to become blatantly apparent. BTW, I do believe in afterlife so fingers crossed OO will arise again.
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: August 29, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »

Quote from: Carpet_pissr on August 29, 2013, 02:51:08 PM

Quote from: IceBear on August 28, 2013, 11:22:07 AM

Quote from: Carpet_pissr on August 27, 2013, 04:01:21 PM

Quote from: KKBlue on August 27, 2013, 02:31:13 PM

It appears to be more like "had" a Facebook presence.

If anyone is looking for something to do, may I suggest starting up a FB page?

It's here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/43986578253/
Hmmm, I used to be a member as I can see a post I made but am now not a member.  I have hit join but still waiting approval? Don't seem able to post and I have an option to remove join request

Did you get approved?  I am having a hard time remembering screen names with real names that are listed on the FB page.  If you pulled your request to join, try it again.  At first, it was admin approval only, but I opened it up so that any other member could approve new members.  Hopefully, you aren't an online axe murderer. 

huh, I didn't know that existed. I requested to join, wth...

Roll Tide!
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: August 29, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »

Quote from: KKBlue on August 29, 2013, 02:58:33 PM

The death of OO has caused the stages to become blatantly apparent. BTW, I do believe in afterlife so fingers crossed OO will arise again.

Hey, now.  Death is a strong word.  OO is merely resting.  And waiting.

In the deep.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3368 on: August 29, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on August 29, 2013, 03:03:49 PM

Quote from: KKBlue on August 29, 2013, 02:58:33 PM

The death of OO has caused the stages to become blatantly apparent. BTW, I do believe in afterlife so fingers crossed OO will arise again.

Hey, now.  Death is a strong word.  OO is merely resting.  And waiting.

In the deep.

Hiding in a datacenter (if you can call it that) in PA looking desperately for a crack in the dungeon big enough to wiggle out of.
Bakhtosh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: August 29, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »

Carpet_pissr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: August 29, 2013, 03:13:34 PM »

Actually, I'm curious.  Can someone explain what happened exactly, in non IT Manager terms?  But more explicit than "OO went poof!" ?

Did the server we were hosted on crash, and was not backed up or something?

Just wondering.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3371 on: August 29, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »

Quote from: Carpet_pissr on August 29, 2013, 03:13:34 PM

Actually, I'm curious.  Can someone explain what happened exactly, in non IT Manager terms?  But more explicit than "OO went poof!" ?

Just wondering.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1296858

Enjoy!
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: August 29, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »

Quote from: Carpet_pissr on August 29, 2013, 03:13:34 PM

Just wondering.

Volume drive told people that they were physically moving the servers to another location, so they powered down all the servers without letting their customers know. That is where it gets sketchy, depending on who you talk to.  What volume drive says is that they moved them and were supposed to turn them back on again now that they were at the new location.  That did not happen.  All we know for sure is that the server that OO lived on is currently not connected to the internet and also that the backup service that was supposed to back up the entire OO site stopped working.  Therefore we only have a image of the site from about a month ago.  So now we are waiting and hoping that the OO site will come up long enough so we can get a fresh image of the data and then we will get server space from another company and then be back up and running again. 

That is what I believe the story is, not all facts may be correct. 

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
Markstrink
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: August 29, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »

I didn't go through nearly 100 pages of posts but from what I gather...

Complete ridiculous-ness.

So let me see if I get the general idea. Burstnet either moved or went under. Seemingly without letting anyone know either of these two details. They packed up what they could. If they simply moved, why leave stuff behind? If they went under I can see why they took what they could before it was taken from them.

They don't seem to really be giving anyone a answer either way. Servers seem to be coming up and going back down with no real rhyme or reason.

If they simply moved maybe they should be dealing with the PR portion of this mess. If they went under they should at least have an official statement of SOME SORT to talk to the clients they have/had.

Why do companies feel the need to keep people in the dark?

Sigh.

Here'a to hoping our new home has more room and doesn't leak. smile
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: August 29, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »

Quote from: Markstrink on August 29, 2013, 04:20:01 PM

I didn't go through nearly 100 pages of posts but from what I gather...

Complete ridiculous-ness.

So let me see if I get the general idea. VolumeDrive either moved or went under. Seemingly without letting anyone know either of these two details. They packed up what they could. If they simply moved, why leave stuff behind? If they went under I can see why they took what they could before it was taken from them.

They don't seem to really be giving anyone a answer either way. Servers seem to be coming up and going back down with no real rhyme or reason.

If they simply moved maybe they should be dealing with the PR portion of this mess. If they went under they should at least have an official statement of SOME SORT to talk to the clients they have/had.

Why do companies feel the need to keep people in the dark?

Sigh.

Here'a to hoping our new home has more room and doesn't leak. smile

FTFY

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3375 on: August 29, 2013, 05:04:39 PM »

Yea BurstNET is the DC owner and VD was our hosting company, during a planned move from BurstNET's old DC to a NEW one while the first truck VD loaded was being moved to the new DC VD grabbed all the other server, loaded them in another truck and made off to another crappy and poorly connected DC where they have been struggling to get what servers they had left up (about 50% or so at this point or less). There was 300 servers in the first load that made it to the new DC and BurstNET has got them. Ours was in the group VD still has.

The reasoning for this it is strongly rumored is that VD owed BurstNEt many months of invoices as well as the leasing company that actually owns most all of the servers. Amounts suspected to reach into several hundred thousand dollars. For a kicker it has come to light that this is not the first time that Volumedrive has pulled this type of fast one.

Drama at it's best.
Carpet_pissr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »

So it wasn't even a technical issue at all?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:13:16 PM by Carpet_pissr » Logged
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3377 on: August 29, 2013, 05:18:24 PM »

Quote from: Carpet_pissr on August 29, 2013, 05:08:44 PM

So it wasn't even a technical issue at all?

Not the initial cause for this long outage, we would have had a short one if the move had been done correctly and honestly but the longevity and the current technical issues are a business dispute gone off the tracks on a crazy train.
Markstrink
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: August 29, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »

Ok well this may sound like a dumb question. If volumedrive still has the server why are they not up? Or is it a issue of they can't bring them up at the new site?

I guess I am a bit more lost than I was when all this started.

On a side note I am preparing to move into a 3 bedroom bungalow and I hope my move goes smoother than our server. smile
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:05 PM »

Quote from: Markstrink on August 29, 2013, 05:20:50 PM

Ok well this may sound like a dumb question. If volumedrive still has the server why are they not up? Or is it a issue of they can't bring them up at the new site?

This is the million dollar question.  The person posting as the Burstnet CEO suggests that Volumedrive has limited technical expertise.  Add to that the alleged lack of funds and it would be difficult to get everything up and running. His initial comments were along the lines of "good luck ever seeing the data again."

I think the first Volumedrive server began broadcasting on Sunday, but from reading that thread they've had stuff up and down every day since then.
arcanis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

Volume drive was our hosting provider. Here is what that thread boils down to. They rented space/net/power from Burst.net. Burst recently built a new data center and had all of their customers moving there. VolumeDrive moved 200-300 servers to the new data center and then loaded up everything else and moved to their own new dc. All of this is allegedly part of an elaborate scheme pulled by the CEO of VD every once in a while. Burst claims VD owes them in the order of hundreds of thousands of dollars. They are also alleged to be way behind in their payments to the company they lease the servers from as well. They used this move as cover to try and run out on their bills. They had at least one other vendor say that VD did the same to them a few years ago.

In the 100+ page thread over there they have posted exactly twice. Once to say someone claiming to be their CEO wasn't a legit account. The other was to follow their twitter. There has been absolutely no explanation as to what the hell they are doing or were thinking when they just pulled the plug.

There have been several servers come up and go down this week. The short version is that their network is really unstable right now and likely will be for quite a while. They also probably don't have all of the servers physically plugged in much less ready to get turned on.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: August 29, 2013, 05:44:27 PM »

Whoever owns and runs VD shouldn't even be in the business. Hell, it would be criminal for them to keep accepting new clients when everything is down like this, yet I hear one of the first things to come back up was their billing software.
arcanis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: August 29, 2013, 05:47:33 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on August 29, 2013, 05:44:27 PM

Whoever owns and runs VD shouldn't even be in the business. Hell, it would be criminal for them to keep accepting new clients when everything is down like this, yet I hear one of the first things to come back up was their billing software.
Well I made sure to say allegedly, because as of right now we don't know. I happen to believe it is true, especially since Burst.net started off defending them then quickly changed their tune. I see there being some court documents for us to reference soon enough, even Burst may have some actions against them due to how they got emails of VD's clients and sent them an email.
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: August 29, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »

So let me ask a quick question - why dont we find another provider, and boot up the image from July? And IF we ever recover the date from VD then insert those threads/data on to the new image? Or even create a subforum of threads from July back up through Aug. 23rd (the day the music died crybaby). (and damn i love the smiley choices here)

I know i am absolutely technically illiterate so I have no idea if the above is possible. And i would hate to be a pain in the ass back seat driver here. So my apologies to Rip, Fishpants and the other sentinels of OO if it comes across as such. But honestly I wouldnt mind losing the little bit of data we'd lose by reverting back to a July OO save if it meant that OO would be up and running again.

Again, as always I appreciate your diligence and hard work in keeping OO up and running.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3384 on: August 29, 2013, 05:59:31 PM »

Quote from: newcastle on August 29, 2013, 05:58:34 PM

So let me ask a quick question - why dont we find another provider, and boot up the image from July?

That's the plan, but the old host has the image.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: August 29, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 29, 2013, 05:59:31 PM

So let me ask a quick question - why dont we find another provider, and boot up the image from July?

I don't think that's true--FP has the image, but I believe he's waiting to spin it up until essentially all hope is lost of retrieving a current backup.  I don't think starting with the old image and then merging in the new is something that's technically possible (or at least not feasible in our case).
arcanis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: August 29, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on August 29, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

I don't think that's true--FP has the image, but I believe he's waiting to spin it up until essentially all hope is lost of retrieving a current backup.  I don't think starting with the old image and then merging in the new is something that's technically possible (or at least not feasible in our case).
This^. FP has a backup available that is old. If we restore that we wouldn't be able to add the missing 2 months to the new server after the fact. He is also in Boston right now so I'd guess we will resort to restoring the old backup once he gets home.
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

Ah ok. I know you guys are on top of it, so I really dont want to come across as sounding as if I am second guessing. More curious really...in fishpants we trust (which is fishy sounding).
Archinerd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »

...so can you clarify, should I be trying to recreate all of my previous posts from memory or not?
And if so I'd like to offer a suggestion. Instead of re-doing all of our own posts I think it would be easier if we just made them all open source and worked on them as a group. We could probably get Hepcat's reconstructed in an hour or two as a majority of them were just naked pictures of Bea Arthur.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: August 29, 2013, 06:19:48 PM »

Quote from: arcanis on August 29, 2013, 05:47:33 PM

Quote from: Rumpy on August 29, 2013, 05:44:27 PM

Well I made sure to say allegedly, because as of right now we don't know. I happen to believe it is true, especially since Burst.net started off defending them then quickly changed their tune. I see there being some court documents for us to reference soon enough, even Burst may have some actions against them due to how they got emails of VD's clients and sent them an email.

True enough. I should state what I said as allegedly smile
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: August 29, 2013, 06:20:01 PM »

Correction:  TASTEFUL naked pictures of Bea Arthur.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Carpet_pissr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: August 29, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 29, 2013, 06:20:01 PM

Correction:  TASTEFUL naked pictures of Bea Arthur.

Is there any other kind? 

Perhaps some raunchy nudes of her floating around the net somewhere?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3392 on: August 29, 2013, 08:36:03 PM »

Quote from: arcanis on August 29, 2013, 06:14:10 PM

Quote from: Zaxxon on August 29, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

This^. FP has a backup available that is old. If we restore that we wouldn't be able to add the missing 2 months to the new server after the fact. He is also in Boston right now so I'd guess we will resort to restoring the old backup once he gets home.

I stand corrected. A 2-month rollback seems trivial to me but I don't play any forum games or visit the trading forums.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:16 PM »

As a forum gamer mainstay (and i dont speak for all) but I would rather have OO back than lose whatever games we might Besides the latest WW game was LAGGING so a restart might be for the best.
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: August 29, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on August 29, 2013, 08:36:03 PM

I stand corrected. A 2-month rollback seems trivial to me but I don't play any forum games or visit the trading forums.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the current WW game would notice a 2 month rollback.  We might lose what - 5 or 6 posts? 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: August 29, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »

As the forum Forumla D game is hosted elsewhere, the loss of the thread is not a killer.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: August 29, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »

Nearly any data loss is worth getting the forum back!!!! I know what's going to happen, it's going to come back just as I leave on my three day holiday.

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: August 29, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »

Ok my bender err business meetings in Boston are complete (and I gotta say, if I lived near Fenway Park I might actually become a baseball fan.. That place was awesome!!) and the new server is online.  I'm doing some test recoveries and feeling out the new digs so that I am prepared for if/when the server comes up at VD.

I really want that data, but if we need to rollback to July 24th we can.. So worst case is the 24th, but I want to give VD a few more days to get their shit together.  I'm opening up tickets daily, haven't had anything back from them yet -- but the overall /21 is showing slow signs of progress and our /24 is also now alive (just not our server in that /24).

If there's anyone that has had experience with Virtualmin I'd welcome the input.. Should I be recovering our environment into a Virtualmin world for ease of portability and management?  I'm thinking with it I could farm out some of the administrative tasks without handing over the keys to the kingdom (root).

Full disclosure this weekend is pretty slammed for me.  Tomorrow night I'm at a concert with my wife (something about being married for 10 years or something.. I dunno), Saturday is a friends 40th w/ keg of beer, Sunday is our annual neighborhood deck crawl starting at 4pm.  Monday will be recovery day w/ some admin work.  Unless the old OO server comes online this weekend, I probably won't much around much until Monday is what I'm getting at aside from letting these jobs run in the background and checking results after the fact.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: August 29, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »

Congrats on the OOniversary!  I think your plan sounds prudent.  Will be tossing salt, etc this weekend hoping our server emerges from its slumber.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3399 on: August 29, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

Virtualmin is what I used when I was hosting. It has been a couple years though so I hesitate to start saying things with out a little refresher reading of the manual.

When  had started though I had never heard of it and found plenty of resources and places to get help, so not worried that we can get on top of it.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: