http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 02:07:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 215955 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2440 on: November 04, 2009, 01:05:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 04, 2009, 12:20:43 AM

site's back up, so I guess we'll be seeing tgb again around 2013-2014.....

I miss dbt.  frown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 04, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »

Down again.

<yawns>

What year is it?
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 04, 2009, 01:11:17 PM »

I always wondered why Rip had named OO's virtual server "yo-yo." Now I get it.  Tongue

Formerly Sith Lord
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: November 04, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »

Wow this is just sad and annoying.  thumbsdown
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: November 04, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 04, 2009, 01:05:51 AM

I miss dbt.  frown

Oh, I still visit here it's just that there is so many cross site topics that are the same OO and GT are like mirrors (except you have a wonderful front page  icon_wink ) that I don't see much reason to post at both. My posting at OO is down too.
Plus you guys have that awful tgb guy that I can't stand................

Ye Olde Farte
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2445 on: November 04, 2009, 02:05:50 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on November 04, 2009, 02:01:32 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 04, 2009, 01:05:51 AM

I miss dbt.  frown

Oh, I still visit here it's just that there is so many cross site topics that are the same OO and GT are like mirrors (except you have a wonderful front page  icon_wink ) that I don't see much reason to post at both. My posting at OO is down too.
Plus you guys have that awful tgb guy that I can't stand................

Yea, but only once a year! 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
tgb
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: November 04, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »

I'll have you know my post count has quadrupled in the last 24 hours.  So there.   deadhorse
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: November 04, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »

A part of me wishes that the entire OO clan would just migrate here. There is a kick-ass front page, the forums are stable and there is a healthy amount of discussion in the Console Games, PC Games, and Off-Topic forums. Plus, with many of us cross-posting, it would make sense to have everything in one location. For some reason some OO members are against making this place their new "home" despite having many of the same people. I don't get it, but in the meantime I'll keep bouncing back and forth between the two (currently 70% GT and 30% OO) so I don't miss anything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: November 04, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »

Quote from: tgb on November 04, 2009, 02:16:58 PM

I'll have you know my post count has quadrupled in the last 24 hours.  So there.   deadhorse

padder.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 04, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »

Looks like they're down again this morning.   I blame CK.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: November 04, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »

They hold a special place in my heart but I think I am done with them.  While I have "known" many of them for years they really don't discuss much for games (especially console) and the social stuff I can get here or from GamersWithJobs. 

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: November 04, 2009, 03:55:07 PM »

I keep being afraid that it's all my fault. I asked for them to fix the daylight saving time.

Ye Olde Farte
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: November 04, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on November 04, 2009, 02:42:55 PM

A part of me wishes that the entire OO clan would just migrate here. There is a kick-ass front page, the forums are stable and there is a healthy amount of discussion in the Console Games, PC Games, and Off-Topic forums. Plus, with many of us cross-posting, it would make sense to have everything in one location. For some reason some OO members are against making this place their new "home" despite having many of the same people. I don't get it, but in the meantime I'll keep bouncing back and forth between the two (currently 70% GT and 30% OO) so I don't miss anything.

I think there are people here that are banned there and vice versa.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: November 04, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on November 04, 2009, 03:55:07 PM

I keep being afraid that it's all my fault. I asked for them to fix the daylight saving time.
That's why we can't get there. All the posts are now trapped an hour back in time, and therefore don't exist yet!

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Lassr

View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: November 04, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »

most of my time spent there recently has been playing forum games. I stick around there mostly due to loyalty. But I have found myself venturing this way more often lately.

Roll Tide!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: November 04, 2009, 04:34:39 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 04, 2009, 04:15:58 PM

This is a pretty good argument for the merging of the boards. If OO is never going to have a front page, and if it's meant to have a long, protracted death, why not be revolutionary and just merge here.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: November 04, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »

I'd be up for merging in here.  I've been posting here for a while (although the majority is at OO).  Face it though -- Octopus Overlords is a much cooler name than GamingTrend (or Gone Gold, for that matter).
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: November 04, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »

Quote from: Butterknife on November 04, 2009, 04:37:24 PM

I'd be up for merging in here.  I've been posting here for a while (although the majority is at OO).  Face it though -- Octopus Overlords is a much cooler name than GamingTrend (or Gone Gold, for that matter).

Knightshade Dragon: Oh, no, he didn't!!  icon_lol
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: November 04, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on November 04, 2009, 04:34:39 PM

This is a pretty good argument for the merging of the boards. If OO is never going to have a front page, and if it's meant to have a long, protracted death, why not be revolutionary and just merge here.

Some don't mind the separation.  While many cross-post between the two sites, there are others who remain at one site as their primary "home".  Whether it be to move on from particular personalities, to participate in specific discussions not really prevalent on the other site (console gaming is more popular at GT than OO, but R&P gets a great deal of traffic over at OO), or because online "friends" also populate one site more than the other, both sites have distinctly different personalities and I am not so sure that a blind merging is an ideal solution.

There is a different "feel" between sites, and some prefer the "feel" of one to the "feel" of the other.  Merging the two sites undermines the traits that make each site unique.  I think that each site has its strengths and that is what draws certain posters to one and other posters to the other.  I think "loyalists" to each site will be disappointed in the sacrifices in identity each site will have to make in order to become one.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: November 04, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »

It's also an awesome religion, particularly if you're playing on a map with lots of water.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: November 04, 2009, 05:04:05 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on November 04, 2009, 04:57:29 PM

It's also an awesome religion, particularly if you're playing on a map with lots of water.

thumbsup

Love that mod.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2461 on: November 04, 2009, 05:04:42 PM »

Try calling a company and requesting product.

"Hey, this is Ron from Octopus Overlords.  Can I speak with Matt?   Hello?  Hello? "

slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: November 04, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

I'm sure Giant Bomb had the same problems until they get legit.

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: November 04, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 04, 2009, 05:12:55 PM

Rick I have Giant Bomb on line one... Ya I could see that causing problems.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: November 04, 2009, 05:30:32 PM »

I post on both....there is some duplication but there are also some differences in what and how things are posted......kind of like two newspapers reporting on something but giving it a slightly different slant........
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2465 on: November 04, 2009, 05:31:42 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on November 04, 2009, 05:12:55 PM

Yea, it was a long road to get folks to take my calls with GT.   Glad that is behind me. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: November 04, 2009, 05:50:42 PM »

Quote from: Tscott on November 04, 2009, 04:18:51 PM

Quote from: dbt1949 on November 04, 2009, 03:55:07 PM

That's why we can't get there. All the posts are now trapped an hour back in time, and therefore don't exist yet!

Actually, it's more serious than that.  Since dbt is from a time before Daylight Savings Time was even conceived, the attempt has caused a rip in the space-time continuum, which Doc Rip (and his faithful, planet killing dog Einstein) are trying to fix in the year before dbt's birth, but are stuck fighting the dinosaurs as well as the prehistoric goats that the locals have been raising to clear the native forests...

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: November 04, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »

I like both sites, but I do spend about 80% of my time here.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: November 04, 2009, 06:04:48 PM »

Off topic stuff I generally post on OO. Console stuff I post here as the console board over there is useless. PC games I'm mostly over at OO but I go back and forth. I really wish we could find a more reliable hosting solution for the board because I see it dying one day and never coming back. frown
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: November 04, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on November 04, 2009, 06:04:48 PM

Off topic stuff I generally post on OO. Console stuff I post here as the console board over there is useless. PC games I'm mostly over at OO but I go back and forth. I really wish we could find a more reliable hosting solution for the board because I see it dying one day and never coming back. frown

Same. I would prefer one board just to save time jumping around, but the Off Topic discussions and R&P are more active at OO, while the game discussions are better here.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: November 04, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »

Quote from: Jag on November 04, 2009, 06:17:32 PM

Quote from: Octavious230 on November 04, 2009, 06:04:48 PM

Same. I would prefer one board just to save time jumping around, but the Off Topic discussions and R&P are more active at OO, while the game discussions are better here.

Which is why we should merge. OO will bring their R&P and Off-Topic prowess and in exchange GT will offer top notch gaming conversation. Win, win....win.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: November 04, 2009, 06:27:20 PM »

Only reason I would be against it is that some people wouldn't want to move and we would lose some of my fav. posters. It doesn't make sense to me but I know that will happen. I just can't understand why a message board would totally crap out so much.
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: November 04, 2009, 06:37:16 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on November 04, 2009, 06:27:20 PM

Only reason I would be against it is that some people wouldn't want to move and we would lose some of my fav. posters. It doesn't make sense to me but I know that will happen. I just can't understand why a message board would totally crap out so much.

Beat a dead horse much?  It's been a long time since there's been issues; and unfortunately I haven't been able to get a hold of Rip to figure out what's going on but I'm sure he's on it.

For what it's worth I have a relatively recent (late October) offsite backup of the site; and we haven't had any issues since the server had been migrated to the new platform.  Instead of bitching about OO, it may be worth considering that if the problem is widespread it's actually affecting Rip's livelihood.

Anyhow I've got to get to more meetings  icon_confused  afterwards if it isn't up I will drop him a line and find out what's going on.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: November 04, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »

it's actually affecting Rip's livelihood

bah, we all know Rip is really a pimp and the server thing is a front for his hookers, who, unlike the servers, are supposed to go down.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: November 04, 2009, 06:58:11 PM »

Hm, FishPants not being able to get hold of Rip is more worrying to me than OO being down, and him not posting here is also. Just hope all is well, and if it is, I'm sure OO will be back up soon.

The quiet one.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2475 on: November 04, 2009, 07:37:57 PM »

Yup. The political forum there is thoughtful and informative. Here, a few people consistently prevent any serious give-and-take. I split my browsing the opposite of your ratio because I'm more interested in news and politics than in pop culture and consumerism. My computer has aged way past the point where I care about games anymore. 

OO's unreliability is especially irritating on days like today, when I can only spare half an hour for the boards. I won't be able to try OO again until this evening now. Oh well, at least I'm not missing anything.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: November 04, 2009, 07:44:25 PM »

Quote from: snoleopard on November 04, 2009, 06:58:11 PM

Hm, FishPants not being able to get hold of Rip is more worrying to me than OO being down, and him not posting here is also. Just hope all is well, and if it is, I'm sure OO will be back up soon.

I'm not going to disagree with this.  Unfortunately the few avenues of contact I have for him aren't going through, hope all is well (but I would assume that he's had some form of catastrophic failure well beyond OO..).. any hurricanes or major storms slapping Louisiana these days?
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: November 04, 2009, 08:08:56 PM »

It's the Visitors.

Ye Olde Farte
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: November 04, 2009, 08:10:29 PM »

and how come my time is screwed up here too? It's two hours fast. I'm not going to have to shut down Gaming Trend too am I?

Ye Olde Farte
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: November 04, 2009, 08:15:46 PM »

Well it is not only FishPants that cant get a hold of Rip there are others here in Louisiana that can't either.  It is not just OO that is down, everything on that server is down which is more important to the company than OO is.  I was also told that e-mail over there is not working as well.

Also, we are good down here in LA no storms or unnatural cold snaps.  Just a failure in technology.

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: