http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 03:51:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 222543 times)
cheeba
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: January 30, 2009, 05:35:34 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 30, 2009, 05:11:23 AM

I honestly think OO is a lost cause, though I wish that wasn't true.  It's been long enough to face the reality that they still haven't recovered even to the relatively low level of activity they had before the outage last spring.  And they likely never will.
Uh, you serious? In my experience of jumping between forums many, many times, OO seems more lively than GT in the Everything But Gaming forums. In the Political/Religious forums it's no contest, around election time OO had nearly a live chat blog running while there was 1-2 posts a day at GT. Nothing against GT, I like it here and I post it here. But your statement doesn't seem to have any basis in reality.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: January 30, 2009, 06:18:27 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on January 30, 2009, 05:35:34 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on January 30, 2009, 05:11:23 AM

I honestly think OO is a lost cause, though I wish that wasn't true.  It's been long enough to face the reality that they still haven't recovered even to the relatively low level of activity they had before the outage last spring.  And they likely never will.
Uh, you serious? In my experience of jumping between forums many, many times, OO seems more lively than GT in the Everything But Gaming forums. In the Political/Religious forums it's no contest, around election time OO had nearly a live chat blog running while there was 1-2 posts a day at GT. Nothing against GT, I like it here and I post it here. But your statement doesn't seem to have any basis in reality.
Yeah, I agree: if GT were more active I'd post here more too, but it seems to me even as "lost" as OO is, OO's PC Gaming  and Unreleased Games has much more activity. It's been squandered true, and true may be losing lurkers - but what do lurkers really contribute but the vague possibility they'll contribute something someday.

I like GT but OO's activity drew me back - after a brief flurry of activity in GT's PC gaming section back when OO first went offline it seemed that I would stay at GT, but then it returned to its normal quiet self.

However, OO does need help, no denying OO could be healthier.

I'd join QT3 except that it seems very inhospitable to the new guy and I don't care much for the simple "Games" subforum. Oh well.,..

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: January 30, 2009, 06:37:11 AM »

I'm missing how this is all considered inactive? I come to GT pretty much all day from work and there are always posts or something going on.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: January 30, 2009, 07:19:28 AM »

guys, come on - there's really no need for the mudslinging. Those that come at GT do it because they like it here, and Vice versa with OO. Both sites works for those that visits them, and I seriously doubt any one of them is "lacking" in any way...

Enjoy what you have, but lay off the "the other site is dying" mentality. It doesnt become anyone

A new one
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: January 30, 2009, 07:34:20 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on January 30, 2009, 06:37:11 AM

I'm missing how this is all considered inactive? I come to GT pretty much all day from work and there are always posts or something going on.

Agreed... I can barely keep up with the two Forums I check most often (Console Gaming and Off Topic).  Maybe I shouldn't actually be reading them!  Remember - more is not always better.  icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: January 30, 2009, 08:04:14 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 30, 2009, 07:19:28 AM

guys, come on - there's really no need for the mudslinging. Those that come at GT do it because they like it here, and Vice versa with OO. Both sites works for those that visits them, and I seriously doubt any one of them is "lacking" in any way...

Enjoy what you have, but lay off the "the other site is dying" mentality. It doesnt become anyone

they're just jealous they don't have me anymore  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: January 30, 2009, 08:27:44 AM »

How active a site is obviously varies by your personal interests, but from my perspective GT is more active.   That said, QT3 beats them both, hands down.  For example, in the last 24 hours QT3 has had more active gaming related threads then GT and OO combined.

All I'm saying is that my perception is that OO used to be more than it is now and I wish there was a way for it to become that again.  I'm just not confident that will ever happen.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: January 30, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »

GT is much less active compare to OO. My proof is that several times I posted trolling messages and no one replied at all. Or maybe GT members learn to just ignore me.slywink
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: January 30, 2009, 12:26:43 PM »

Here's hoping the Octopodes can get things worked out .
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: January 30, 2009, 12:56:21 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 30, 2009, 08:27:44 AM

How active a site is obviously varies by your personal interests, but from my perspective GT is more active.

+1 to this.  If console games are your thing, GT is far more active.  If PC games and/or politics float your boat, OO is probably the better option.   EBG is probably a wash, just depends on which cast of characters you prefer.   I personally like the fact that GT is actually an active gaming news/review site rather than just a message board, but that's just personal preference (and the fact that Ron sends me the occasional game to review.  smile)  I frequent both sites and hope neither of them disappear.

That being said, I (and quite a few others, from what I could tell) have posted significantly less at OO since the last outage, and I imagine this one might have the same effect.  Shame, as it seemed like all the issues had been ironed out from the last meltdown.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: January 30, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 30, 2009, 12:56:21 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on January 30, 2009, 08:27:44 AM

How active a site is obviously varies by your personal interests, but from my perspective GT is more active.

+1 to this.  If console games are your thing, GT is far more active.  If PC games and/or politics float your boat, OO is probably the better option.   EBG is probably a wash, just depends on which cast of characters you prefer.   I personally like the fact that GT is actually an active gaming news/review site rather than just a message board, but that's just personal preference (and the fact that Ron sends me the occasional game to review.  smile)  I frequent both sites and hope neither of them disappear.

That being said, I (and quite a few others, from what I could tell) have posted significantly less at OO since the last outage, and I imagine this one might have the same effect.  Shame, as it seemed like all the issues had been ironed out from the last meltdown.

I like all 3 sites for different reasons. They each have their own 'flavor' and speciality. For me QT3, has an amazing P&R section with some pretty sharp people. I like OOs Everything But Games section and for everything else, games, computers, etc., I prefer GT.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: January 30, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »

They pretty much had been, this was supposed to just be an minor upgrade but something obviously went wrong. The site is still up through it's IP address, which was posted earlier, and I'm hoping Rip and Fishpants will have the DNS issue sorted out soon.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: January 30, 2009, 02:38:05 PM »

I was just about to ask what the deal was. Since its up, just not the correct path in.

Kinda annoying really.

Though I do have to admit, that one of the my favorite LJ sites that I lurk went down again wednesday, and looks like it wont be back up till Monday after LJ is forced to perform a Hardware upgrade.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/

Is a celebrity news site.  Updates VERY frequently.  Anyways.  it seems they reached the maximum amount of responses you are allowed for LJ.  16,250,200 or something similar.  this site was credited with crashing ALL of LJ when Britney Spears shaved her head..smile

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: January 30, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »

You adventurous types can ad the an entry for OO into your hosts file.  On WinXP it is located in c:\windows\system32\driver\etc  It is just called "hosts" no extension.  Edit it and add the line

Code:
98.175.67.242   www.octopusoverlords.com

Save file, exit and your bookmark should work. 

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: January 30, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 30, 2009, 03:38:41 PM

You adventurous types can ad the an entry for OO into your hosts file.  On WinXP it is located in c:\windows\system32\driver\etc  It is just called "hosts" no extension.  Edit it and add the line

Code:

That is just to much work to go to a website.

And in either case I'm sure when the front page update goes through I think things would pick up. Assuming that is still going. Since that was supposed to be today?

Or nevermind, that was delayed again.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:45:39 PM by SkyLander » Logged

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2335 on: January 30, 2009, 07:28:26 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on January 30, 2009, 05:43:29 PM

Quote from: farley2k on January 30, 2009, 03:38:41 PM

Code:

That is just to much work to go to a website.

And in either case I'm sure when the front page update goes through I think things would pick up. Assuming that is still going. Since that was supposed to be today?

Or nevermind, that was delayed again.

Still bitter, huh?
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: January 30, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »

Actually I didn't check the thread until I posted that so I didn't know until now. It's all good, just think with the refresh and all that more people would probably come.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: January 31, 2009, 01:19:32 AM »

At 6:42 pm CST, Rip posted at OO: I should have DNS working again in a couple hours.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: January 31, 2009, 04:19:43 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on January 31, 2009, 01:19:32 AM

At 6:42 pm CST, Rip posted at OO: I should have DNS working again in a couple hours.

Also, remember, it's a DNS thing so it might take a little while to propagate to everyone.
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: January 31, 2009, 06:15:10 AM »

Sorry guys haven't had a chance to update, with two kids and a full time job and all! Anyways yes it's a DNS issue, seems the move to 64bit hosed the Bind server.  We are moving it to another provider to handle versus doing it ourselves, and waiting on a few folks to respond -- but we are doing the best we can (as a bunch of volunteers who have families and jobs, putting our own money into making OO work).

I don't really get all the hate around the forum and it's issues; but for those of you saying we've ignored the problems since the OOutage, ironically that's not the case and the reason for this blip.  Our post index is huge, and we need a massive amount of RAM to house it within resident memory.. To address more than 3-4gb of RAM in an OS, you need a 64 bit OS.. Which is what Rip is doing, and unfortunately what caused the outage with Bind it seems.  Keep in mind any problems with DNS currently will be resolved for his paying customers first, us freeloaders last which makes sense.

Anyhow we are working on a few avenues in the background to make this problem go away for good, but we are still testing alternatives. So please be patient, and yes it sucks having to use an IP address -- so in the meantime if you use http://ilove.myweiner.net you should be able to hit OO until such a time as we get this 64 bit stuff un...mucked.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: January 31, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »

I find that URL suspicious.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: January 31, 2009, 07:24:21 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on January 31, 2009, 06:23:23 AM

apparently the Overlords are on his wiener.....

Because I can,
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: January 31, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on January 31, 2009, 06:23:23 AM

Agreed, just come up in the subscribe as well so I guess it is kosher but i'm sure a better link could have been found frown

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: January 31, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »

Ok the DNS records are in on a new provider, and the domain has been configured to use them.. If your ISP hasn't updated (it may take up to a day depending on how long your ISP caches for) you can continue to use http://ilove.myweiner.net (or the IP based shortcut).  We've moved DNS out of a local bind server so this shouldn't occur any further.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: January 31, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on January 31, 2009, 06:15:10 AM

Keep in mind any problems with DNS currently will be resolved for his paying customers first, us freeloaders last which makes sense.

I'm surprised he still has some of those  icon_twisted

I kid I kid.

I still lub me some OO.  I do feel sorry for all the shit the volunteers take, it's just a free website to us after all.

Thanks for the updates Fishpants but I learned long ago to never click a link with a weiner in it smile

morlac00 on PSN
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: January 31, 2009, 04:37:47 PM »

Quote from: morlac on January 31, 2009, 03:22:27 PM

Quote from: FishPants on January 31, 2009, 06:15:10 AM

Keep in mind any problems with DNS currently will be resolved for his paying customers first, us freeloaders last which makes sense.

I'm surprised he still has some of those  icon_twisted

I kid I kid.

I still lub me some OO.  I do feel sorry for all the shit the volunteers take, it's just a free website to us after all.

Thanks for the updates Fishpants but I learned long ago to never click a link with a weiner in it smile

No problem.. The outage was a combination of volunteers work/life schedule (me) and another guy travelling internationally creating some interesting communication challenges while he recovered from the jetlag.  Anyways it seems to be up for most people now; and rest assured that this weiner is safe as its my (benign) domain.. It was a freeby from Godaddy when I registered some others.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: February 01, 2009, 12:46:10 AM »

I've been able to access the site the usual way most of the afternoon.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2347 on: February 01, 2009, 04:19:14 AM »

and consensus seems to be much improved performance. Couple more little changes late tonight, but nothing that is risky.   thumbsup

Rip
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 30, 2009, 07:08:15 AM »

wow, it's been over a year since the great Outage.  I still blame Arnir.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: April 30, 2009, 07:16:35 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2009, 07:08:15 AM

Yeah, I've been here a year now...seems like forever, eh?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: April 30, 2009, 07:49:50 AM »

Quote from: Tals on April 30, 2009, 07:16:35 AM

you're right Tals, you've been here forever!

Because I can,
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 30, 2009, 07:49:50 AM

???

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: April 30, 2009, 06:46:26 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on April 30, 2009, 09:05:30 AM

???

It was a clever ploy to make me think he thought I was Tal, thus negating my earlier comment about me having been here forever ;-)

Anyways - I cant connect to OO right now...anyone else having this issue?  or rather, overview appears fine, but cant click in to any catagories

A new one
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: April 30, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »

I'm having trouble connecting as well.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: April 30, 2009, 07:01:21 PM »

Looks like its momentarily down. Not connecting for me either.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: April 30, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »

..and is back on for me, now.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: April 30, 2009, 07:55:07 PM »

The old "delete post bring site to its knees for 10 minutes" problem is back, though.  sorry about that.   icon_redface

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 02, 2009, 11:19:06 AM »

???

lol i'm glad you did that - confused me for sure  ninja

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 02, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »

Quote from: Tals on May 02, 2009, 11:19:06 AM

???

lol i'm glad you did that - confused me for sure  ninja

Looks like Ceekay might have messed up, too smile

FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: May 04, 2009, 04:08:09 PM »

Just a heads up that I am running a backup on OO then doing some database maintenance.  Sometime this afternoon I will need to shut down the database server while I run some checks; which means obviously the site will be offline temporarily. 
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: