http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:10:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 90   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 225981 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 14, 2008, 08:37:20 PM »

Quote from: Rip on June 14, 2008, 08:16:29 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on June 14, 2008, 07:56:37 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2008, 09:09:08 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on June 14, 2008, 07:57:07 AM

Quote from: Rhinohelix on June 14, 2008, 07:25:14 AM

At first I was upset but supportive.  Then I was sad but patient.  Now, I am all WTF? and SRSLY!

I don't mean to be unappreciative of all the hard work put into this but someone at least update the placeholder page FFS; it's been more than a month.

Sorry to disrupt the peaceful vibe going on in this thread now.  Rant done.

I don't blame you.  This thread is way off topic of late and an update from Gedd & company would be appreciated, since last we heard was about what was hoped to be accomplished last weekend.  Not sure why Rip didn't say anything about what is up as he's posted a few times this week.

maybe because there was no news?

I'd argue that is news.  Look, one of the complaints has been a lack of communication.  Over a week ago we got an update that made some specific references.  If they'd showed up Monday with a post and said "sorry, we didn't get as much done as we wanted" no one would be upset. 

In other words, people just want to know things are moving forward.

By the way, thanks Rip for the update today.  icon_wink

Except hitting forums and making such announcements takes more time than most realize, and I am already spending time working on this stuff that I probably should be using doing stuff I can bill $100/hr for. That is why I am trying to offload it to others. Keeping things running as far as network and hardware are not a substantial additional burden to me, but configuring servers and making public relations communications are. I simply lack the time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I expected you to be doing the updates.  I think Gedd & the staff need to be doing updates. 

And, I don't think it requires visiting multiple forums.  Other than changing the temp page once in a while, an announcement here or Popehat is probably sufficient (someone will mention it on the other board).  So, that doesn't seem like a big issue to me.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 14, 2008, 08:44:04 PM »

Someone from the Powers That Be at OO should have the time to make update posts in the forums.  As has been pointed out many times - many times - many times in this thread simple communications can calm people down very easily.  I can understand that Rip might not have the time to post here, but I'm assuming Rip has time to e-mail someone from OO.  I have no clue who is or isn't doing what, but the communications break down is hard to comprehend. 

I'm also not sure what the secrecy is all about regarding the mystery person who will be taking on a new leadership role at OO.  Are the names hidden to protect the innocent?  Or just to keep the bitching away?  Tongue

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1882 on: June 14, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 14, 2008, 08:37:20 PM

Quote from: Rip on June 14, 2008, 08:16:29 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on June 14, 2008, 07:56:37 PM

Quote from: Razgon on June 14, 2008, 09:09:08 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on June 14, 2008, 07:57:07 AM

Quote from: Rhinohelix on June 14, 2008, 07:25:14 AM

At first I was upset but supportive.  Then I was sad but patient.  Now, I am all WTF? and SRSLY!

I don't mean to be unappreciative of all the hard work put into this but someone at least update the placeholder page FFS; it's been more than a month.

Sorry to disrupt the peaceful vibe going on in this thread now.  Rant done.

I don't blame you.  This thread is way off topic of late and an update from Gedd & company would be appreciated, since last we heard was about what was hoped to be accomplished last weekend.  Not sure why Rip didn't say anything about what is up as he's posted a few times this week.

maybe because there was no news?

I'd argue that is news.  Look, one of the complaints has been a lack of communication.  Over a week ago we got an update that made some specific references.  If they'd showed up Monday with a post and said "sorry, we didn't get as much done as we wanted" no one would be upset. 

In other words, people just want to know things are moving forward.

By the way, thanks Rip for the update today.  icon_wink

Except hitting forums and making such announcements takes more time than most realize, and I am already spending time working on this stuff that I probably should be using doing stuff I can bill $100/hr for. That is why I am trying to offload it to others. Keeping things running as far as network and hardware are not a substantial additional burden to me, but configuring servers and making public relations communications are. I simply lack the time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I expected you to be doing the updates.  I think Gedd & the staff need to be doing updates. 

And, I don't think it requires visiting multiple forums.  Other than changing the temp page once in a while, an announcement here or Popehat is probably sufficient (someone will mention it on the other board).  So, that doesn't seem like a big issue to me.

Don't be sorry. I want to hear what people actually think. The problem is that gedd and the guys don't know what is going on a lot of the time and have had practically no access or knowledge of my internal network. Sometimes I don't know what is getting done for some time when I ask someone on my staff to do something "if they have time" which is how most of this stuff is qualified. I may not even see or speak to some of them for days. That is the hope for the new admin chief is to give him a much greater level of access into my network and able to contact my staff via a number of methods. If that doesn't work well I may try to put some of my staff members on the team directly. Although I am hesitant to do that as I can't allow it to detract from the work that feeds us.

Anyway much stuff is back online and I am just fighting some php/mysql errors, as soon as that is overcome gedd will be working some magic to allow us to open the doors back up. We will then move into the future planning to prevent downtime and see if we can do any new and cool stuff that may bring in new blood and broaden our appeal.

The other staff members have little to bear in blame for the situation though. they have not got a lot more info from me than everyone else and are just as frustrated. This is why I am trying to figure out a way to make things work without depending on me to do things that I know I simply will not be able to. I am not one to contact people and give them updates. I am more of a receiving of updates person, and delegate to other to communicate in the other direction. At least most of the time.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1883 on: June 14, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 14, 2008, 08:44:04 PM

Someone from the Powers That Be at OO should have the time to make update posts in the forums.  As has been pointed out many times - many times - many times in this thread simple communications can calm people down very easily.  I can understand that Rip might not have the time to post here, but I'm assuming Rip has time to e-mail someone from OO.  I have no clue who is or isn't doing what, but the communications break down is hard to comprehend. 

I'm also not sure what the secrecy is all about regarding the mystery person who will be taking on a new leadership role at OO.  Are the names hidden to protect the innocent?  Or just to keep the bitching away?  Tongue

But I don't e-mail them very often. Our main way of communicating was a forum on OO just for us. I don't send e-mail updates to hardly anyone. I verbally communicate with my staff and direct them to update customers. Most of them have had zero knowledge of OO. I spend all of time in meetings, on the road, or doing things that get billed. What is needed is a communicator directly involved in my operations that can find out things on there own and communicate with my staff, that understands the technology and work that goes on behind the scenes. I haven't named the person because i think it more appropriate for them to make the announcement etc. the person is a gamingtrend member though. Plus it is fun seeing if anyone will figure it out.

This person will really be about the future of OO not so much about getting us back up. That is very near already.

Rip
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1884 on: June 15, 2008, 02:39:42 AM »

Well the forums are functioning again now. We will probably not put them back online until we upgrade phpbb. Could be a fathers day present. I may end up spending a chunk of the day playing GTA4 or Silent Hunter IV.

Rip
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 15, 2008, 03:37:46 AM »

Good luck with it.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 15, 2008, 06:22:15 AM »

Glad it's finally approaching.
I will now commence holding my breath.
 icon_wink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 15, 2008, 07:39:02 AM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on June 15, 2008, 06:22:15 AM

icon_wink

I am so not giving you CPR.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 15, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2008, 07:39:02 AM

Quote from: Giles Habibula on June 15, 2008, 06:22:15 AM

icon_wink

I am so not giving you CPR.
Dammit, don't you dare derail this thread!
And since I am immortal (maybe you didn't know), I can hold my breath a long time.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: June 15, 2008, 07:47:29 AM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on June 15, 2008, 07:43:11 AM

Dammit, don't you dare derail this thread!

Lasagna Rolls
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Show:     Everyday Italian
Episode:     Italian Fast Food
Sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg

Lasagna:
1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
1 large egg, beaten to blend
3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for salting water
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella (about 4 ounces)

To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Increase the heat to medium-high. Whisk the sauce until it comes to a simmer and is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Whisk the salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the bechamel sauce.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Whisk the ricotta, spinach, 1 cup Parmesan, prosciutto, egg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.

Add a tablespoon or 2 of oil to a large pot of boiling salted water. Boil the noodles until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Arrange the noodles in a single layer on a baking sheet to prevent them from sticking.

Butter a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish. Pour the bechamel sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish. Lay out 4 lasagna noodles on a work surface, then spread about 3 tablespoons of ricotta mixture evenly over each noodle. Starting at 1 end, roll each noodle like a jelly roll. Lay the lasagna rolls seam side down, without touching, atop the bechamelsauce in the dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles and ricotta mixture. Spoon 1 cup of marinara sauce over the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle the mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan over the lasagna rolls. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until heated through and the sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until the cheese on top becomes golden, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the remaining marinara sauce in a heavy small saucepan over medium heat until hot, and serve alongside.

Because I can,
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: June 15, 2008, 07:56:59 AM »

That's more like it.

Now for my hot dog recipe:

Preheat gas grill.
Prepare bun, by putting on mustard and relish.
Place hot dog on grill. Turn frequently until completely burnt (mostly black, but not totally).
Place hot dog on prepared bun.
Serve hot.

(adjust accordingly for multiple servings)
yossar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: June 15, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »

I'm still trying to get over Key Lime Pie not using key limes.

And if OO comes back can we get a new name? Octopus Overlords just wasn't doing it for me. How about Super Ninja Pirate Video Game Forum (possibly with a Front Page).
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: June 15, 2008, 01:54:36 PM »

Quote from: yossar on June 15, 2008, 11:50:29 AM

And if OO comes back can we get a new name? Octopus Overlords just wasn't doing it for me. How about Super Ninja Pirate Video Game Forum (possibly with a Front Page).
Can't put game in the name or it will get blocked.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: June 15, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »

Yes! Let's give it a new name when/if it comes back.
I recommend www.Everythingbutgamingandalittlebitofgamingforum.com

Ye Olde Farte
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: June 15, 2008, 02:15:42 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 14, 2008, 01:51:56 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on June 14, 2008, 01:02:21 PM

Anyway,  back on topic :    for those who know what a real dessert is I give you Key Lime Pie!

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (3 to 4 limes)

Just to clarify...are you using key limes when you make your key lime pie?  Because getting 1/2 cup juice out of 3-4 limes sounds like you're using regular limes.

Sorry I wasnt clear on that.  You use 6-8 "Key" limes but I set the recipe up for common limes as its very difficult to get Key Limes in Michigan.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: June 15, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »

Happy Fathers Day! - the OrphanedOctopi.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: June 15, 2008, 02:41:37 PM »

Dear God, what have you people done?  First GG goes, then OO, then GT goes unstable... now my favorite hockey blog is off the map with a '403 Forbidden' for the last 48 hours!

Is the whole Internet unstable now?  Did somebody reverse the polarity on the tachyon generator?  WHAT IS GOING ON?

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: June 15, 2008, 02:42:54 PM »

please don't put anything in the url that has the word game in it.  Websense will block it frown
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: June 15, 2008, 02:43:28 PM »

Please deposit 25 cents and dial your number again.

Ye Olde Farte
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1899 on: June 15, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on June 15, 2008, 02:41:37 PM

Dear God, what have you people done?  First GG goes, then OO, then GT goes unstable... now my favorite hockey blog is off the map with a '403 Forbidden' for the last 48 hours!

Is the whole Internet unstable now?  Did somebody reverse the polarity on the tachyon generator?  WHAT IS GOING ON?

When was GT unstable? Been rock solid for me in recent memory.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1900 on: June 15, 2008, 04:56:12 PM »

I can feel the pressure building. It could happen any moment now.......
Hrnac
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: June 15, 2008, 05:25:21 PM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on June 15, 2008, 01:54:36 PM

Quote from: yossar on June 15, 2008, 11:50:29 AM

Can't put game in the name or it will get blocked.

Please do not cause OO to be blocked.

-Hrnac

Never do today what can be done tomorrow.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1902 on: June 15, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »

I actually have the domain pcgamesforum.com and had it forwarded to the site. A crafty way of getting the traffic from those urls without attracting the attention of the webfilters.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: June 15, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »

Quote from: Rip on June 15, 2008, 04:55:09 PM

When was GT unstable? Been rock solid for me in recent memory.

It went down for an hour or so and was only partially restored for a few more the other night.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: June 15, 2008, 06:30:57 PM »

the web has declared a jihad upon your head.

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: June 15, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

Any minute now....

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: June 15, 2008, 11:03:28 PM »

I take it OO is down for good.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1907 on: June 15, 2008, 11:19:13 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on June 15, 2008, 09:53:02 PM

Any minute now....

"Don't be fatuous, Jeffery."  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: June 16, 2008, 12:01:15 AM »

Quote from: vizionblind on June 15, 2008, 11:03:28 PM

Quite the contrary. Barring a botched upgrade/conversion (which I wouldn't completely rule out), we should be back late Monday or Tuesday. As Rip said, the old forum has been restored, and I'm in the process of running the upgrade script. The script is not very fast (it has 1.2 million posts to move after all), but it fortunately is mostly automated, so I can let it continue to run overnight.

I probably could've just deleted LordMortis' posts and had it running within an hour, but that seemed kind of cruel.
Arowyn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: June 16, 2008, 12:28:24 AM »

Quote from: Gedd on June 16, 2008, 12:01:15 AM

I probably could've just deleted LordMortis' posts and had it running within an hour, but that seemed kind of cruel.

Or humane, depending on who you ask.   nod icon_wink icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: June 16, 2008, 12:52:04 AM »

Quote from: Arowyn on June 16, 2008, 12:28:24 AM

Or humane, depending on who you ask.   nod icon_wink icon_biggrin

deleting Pete Rocks post would have made things faster too  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: June 16, 2008, 12:55:10 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 15, 2008, 11:19:13 PM

Quote from: Arnir on June 15, 2008, 09:53:02 PM

Any minute now....

"Don't be fatuous, Jeffery."  slywink

Don't call me Shirley.   icon_evil   icon_lol

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: June 16, 2008, 01:22:34 AM »

Quite the contrary. Barring a botched upgrade/conversion (which I wouldn't completely rule out), we should be back late Monday or Tuesday. As Rip said, the old forum has been restored, and I'm in the process of running the upgrade script. The script is not very fast (it has 1.2 million posts to move after all), but it fortunately is mostly automated, so I can let it continue to run overnight.

Works for me. I can start from scratch and fade into the background where I rightfully belong.  I'd even take a different moniker if my leet typing didn't give me away.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: June 16, 2008, 02:49:23 AM »

Quite the contrary. Barring a botched upgrade/conversion (which I wouldn't completely rule out), we should be back late Monday or Tuesday.

Monday or Tuesday ... of which year? smile

As Rip said, the old forum has been restored, and I'm in the process of running the upgrade script. The script is not very fast (it has 1.2 million posts to move after all), but it fortunately is mostly automated, so I can let it continue to run overnight.

The length of time this has taken, the fancy schmancy tech talk that Rip gives us, you'd think the freakin' Pentagon was involved, and they were summoning Cray supercomputers to connect to remote satellites which in turn beam data to advanced civilizations in a faraway galaxy so that they can figure out what our next move should be. First, we fix OO, next ... cancer!

I must be very naive to have thought a 'web forum' would be something repairable in a day, at the most. The way this has seemingly turned into some major event ("just three more days, guys!") strikes me as pretty funny.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: June 16, 2008, 02:52:58 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on June 16, 2008, 02:49:23 AM

The length of time this has taken, the fancy schmancy tech talk that Rip gives us, you'd think the freakin' Pentagon was involved, and they were summoning Cray supercomputers to connect to remote satellites which in turn beam data to advanced civilizations in a faraway galaxy so that they can figure out what our next move should be. First, we fix OO, next ... cancer!

I must be very naive to have thought a 'web forum' would be something repairable in a day, at the most. The way this has seemingly turned into some major event ("just three more days, guys!") strikes me as pretty funny.

Websites for the Illuminati  require more work than normal websites.
 ninja

- American Dad
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: June 16, 2008, 04:21:27 AM »

Heck if you removed Remus West, LordMortis, and Chaosraven posts, it would have been up in moments.

Spawn of OO Collective
Tareeq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1916 on: June 16, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »

Whatever the future may hold, the title of this thread has proven to be a classic.

Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: June 16, 2008, 12:01:37 PM »

Quote from: Tareeq on June 16, 2008, 11:47:35 AM

Whatever the future may hold, the title of this thread has proven to be a classic.

Most assuredly so.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: June 16, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

You can't have a key lime pie without key limes.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on June 16, 2008, 01:17:00 PM

You can't have a key lime pie without key limes.

Is that like having girl scout cookies without girl scouts?
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 90   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: