http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 09:03:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 90   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 225942 times)
Mr. Fed
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1600 on: May 30, 2008, 08:54:38 PM »

Dude, that old guy just called you a pussy!

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: May 30, 2008, 09:04:30 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on May 30, 2008, 08:45:49 PM

Providing daily content to a front page can be a huge grind -- even on subjects you love, even with help.

Not if you just continually make shit up.  Give ME the job and I promise such daily news items as:

1) My left hand - A Review

2) Stuff I just saw when I looked up

3) Anyone else dig coke icees?  man, i dig coke icees.

4) There you go again!  What?  No, I didn't say anything.

5) 5 things I'd do to Rose McGowan if i were invisible...

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1602 on: May 30, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 30, 2008, 09:04:30 PM

Quote from: Mr. Fed on May 30, 2008, 08:45:49 PM

Providing daily content to a front page can be a huge grind -- even on subjects you love, even with help.

Not if you just continually make shit up.  Give ME the job and I promise such daily news items as:

1) My left hand - A Review

2) Stuff I just saw when I looked up

3) Anyone else dig coke icees?  man, i dig coke icees.

4) There you go again!  What?  No, I didn't say anything.

5) 5 things I'd do to Rose McGowan if i were invisible...

"Heh.  Indeed."

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1603 on: May 30, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »

Maybe you guys should do the 'Anti Front Page', where the only thing posted is a long treatise on why you have no front page content and are just fine with it- oh by the way here's our forums- and a large ascii image of a cat's butt.

It could work Truthiness!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 30, 2008, 09:35:42 PM »

I'd be more than happy to provide at least one front page article a week, and I don't see it being a problem as long as our topics aren't fixed (that's where I'd think the grind/bore comes into play a little more).  I love to write, so that would be an enjoyable outlet for me.

Of course, the anti-front page might be funny to post up there every once in a long while - maybe even as a default "I'm on holiday" page for a poster who's unavailable?
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: May 30, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »

Well, would a frontpage that mostly served as a Google search result work? Say a frontpage that served to introduce the forum, including links to current "hot threads" in the forum which may be auto-updated (say like the Wargamer.com does? Or appears to do...

Something that wouldn't necessarily need to be updated but would still reflect that there's an active, dynamic, opinionated, ticking-time bomb of insanity group of gamers behind the billboard. If we include no dates on the frontpage, we wouldn't look like a ghost town that dried up long time ago except for Zekester and his mule still looking for "gold! Gold, I tells ya! Gone gold!"  That's the feeling I get when I see a frontpage where the last update was months old. And if it ever comes to a new OO going days/weeks between any posts...well, we should just give up the ghost, disband the regiment, and look for regular jobs.

Frankly, I go for activity, diverse topics, and relatively low barriers to entry (i.e., you're only mocked or ignored for the first few hundred posts). If I visited a forum and found these in abundance, I'd stay. Like I'm staying here!

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1606 on: May 30, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »

People who know such things tell me that search engine opitmization is illusory.  But I can tell you from several traffic monitors that I use that the search engine optimization plugins I use on Popehat's front page (done in WordPress, which is easy to use) result in a huge number of our hits (at least huge by our standards -- perhaps 100 visits a day from search engine traffic).

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: May 30, 2008, 10:47:51 PM »

I once wrote a review of masturbation.  It ended favourably.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Tareeq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1608 on: May 30, 2008, 11:11:33 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 30, 2008, 08:34:42 PM

You have NO idea what sort of time commitment it takes to run a front page, and it is like herding wet cats trying to keep a staff of volunteers.  If you go this route, good luck.

And yet you manage to do it Ron, and you do it well.  You run a great site in the bargain, worth it for the front page alone.  Your vibrant forum is a bonus.

But as hard as it is, it has to be done if a renewed Octopus Overlords is to survive in any way, shape, or form.  I don't need to tell you that any web forum has attrition, from members getting tired, moving on, getting banned, or even dying.  Something has to bring in traffic, and as the last year of Gone Gold, and most of the history of Octopus Overlords show, that needs to be a front page that's updated with interesting content on a regular basis.  Recommendations from friends that this is a nice forum for discussion of whatever just don't cut the mustard, not because most people don't have friends, but because most people don't discuss interesting websites with their friends.

So someone will have to do it if an OO renewal is to last.  I don't write this to criticize or disagree with you at all.  I write to emphasize to the powers that be at OO (which, by the way, should always have a link to your site, and your forum, as a "friend" or "allied" site if it comes back, as this is the second time you've provided a temporary or permanent home to a bunch of snotfingered relative but not quite strangers), who are reading this as I know they are, that they need to think about content, and think about it now.

I believe that godhugh is on the right track about assembling a group, and for that matter the OO mods themselves were and are a pretty impressive group, but they need a plan of action and they need it now. When OO assembled it was done quickly (and with all due respect, it assembled as quickly as it did in part because of your stance at the time on political discussion), but this is two months, which is a damned eternity in internet time.

Please forgive me for discussing another site (to which I won't return for various and sundry reasons) on your forum, as I'm a fan of GT and its forum, even though I only decloak here every other year or so.

I'm always lurkin'.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:13:55 PM by Tareeq » Logged

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: May 30, 2008, 11:21:10 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 30, 2008, 10:47:51 PM

I'd give it a 9.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: May 31, 2008, 12:24:54 AM »

you just have to make sure to stick around for the climax.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1611 on: May 31, 2008, 12:28:45 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on May 30, 2008, 11:21:10 PM

I'd give it a 9.

I gave it a 4 1/2, but he claimed it was a 7.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1612 on: May 31, 2008, 12:44:58 AM »

OK guys just when you thought I had passed, here I am back for a driveby.

The database should be extracted in the next few hours and a link sent to a handful of staff members who can redistribute at there leisure. I intend to offer hosting/server/bandwidth resources to all that have had it. The price will remain the same...free. I have even renewed domains for those that can't renew because of registration panel access issues. Any domains registered through me are in fact enom registrations and can be accessed directly through enom if one understands how or asks for help, or transfer to another service. I am going to be limited on interaction and handholding going forward and will focus any hosting offerings to VM servers of your favorite linux distro with a weekly or monthly snapshot.

To be clear I don't run a hosting business I simply offered some hosting as a courtesy at insanely low to no charge. There will be little to no additional freebies going forward because I have exploding amounts of what I do offer which is offsite backup, network consulting, forensic examination, data recovery, and most recently virtualization consultation. We have exploded to seven employees from three and still can barely keep up with demand for services at 60-120 dollars per hour. I simply can't afford to dedicate manhours to work not generating substantial revenue. I will continue to provide access to the community through responsible parties with the requisite skills and who use the resources responsibly. All those with such are encouraged to contact me and I will provide them with contact info for the appropriate members of my staff. I don't have the time to read all my e-mails many days of late let alone make rounds of the boards or game. I will not however go underground no matter how much I am dragged through the mud for not doing or communicating enough. I very much would like to hear from people who do have time and would use the resources I offer providing to the community that which I can no longer find time.

For those just wanting to look and see if I am moving around switches, servers, or just pacing the back forty of the datacenter have a look here. http://webcam.byteguru.net I hope to add some more cameras soon as well. We should finish removing all resources from the old fiber link this weekend (saving me $1300/mnth) and will begin to focus on finishing off all recovery and domain moving next week with any luck.

KD feel free to let people vent a little I have no expectation of protection and would rather hear what people feel than to have everyone feel censored into cutting me some kind of slack. If when the staff get OO rolling again I would rather see everyone stop by there to trash me than to not bother going back at all, so save some venom for the party.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: May 31, 2008, 12:53:27 AM »

First, thanks Rip for all you've done. 

I'll be honest and say that I don't really understand all the delays or think they were justified, nor do I think the lack of communication can be justified.  Also, I find it odd that suddenly things are moving forward just when the community has decided to pursue other options.  If you'd been upfront with us two months ago with the reality of how long this was going to take, I'd have a lot more sympathy.  But maybe I'm being unrealistic about the realities of the situation.  I'm not claiming to have a technical understanding of what happened, but I do respect some of the people who have posted that they do and have also questioned this process.

To the mods or whomever is running the show, lets take what Rip has apparently recovered and move on with the new hosting plan.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:55:38 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: May 31, 2008, 12:54:32 AM »

Rip's ALIVE!  icon_biggrin

Very happy. No worries Rip, keep up the good work.

I understand, paying work before free pleasure. (Though some won't)

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1615 on: May 31, 2008, 01:22:36 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on May 31, 2008, 12:53:27 AM

First, thanks Rip for all you've done. 

I'll be honest and say that I don't really understand all the delays or think they were justified, nor do I think the lack of communication can be justified.  Also, I find it odd that suddenly things are moving forward just when the community has decided to pursue other options.  If you'd been upfront with us two months ago with the reality of how long this was going to take, I'd have a lot more sympathy.  But maybe I'm being unrealistic about the realities of the situation.  I'm not claiming to have a technical understanding of what happened, but I do respect some of the people who have posted that they do and have also questioned this process.

To the mods or whomever is running the show, lets take what Rip has apparently recovered and move on with the new hosting plan.

and why exactly would it matter to me if OO was to no longer consume space and bandwidth from my resources? What exactly is it that I stand to lose? If anything my life would be much easier without any need to concern myself with OO. I don't have a single customer who I receive more than a couple hundred dollars a year that comes from website/domain hosting. The revenues combined from such don't even pay the fees to be able to accept VISA/MC/AMEX. The only reason I even bother is because I care. I have nothing to be gained financially from the life or death of OO. Mr. Fed singlehandedly doubled last years revenue with a single donation.
Tareeq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1616 on: May 31, 2008, 01:39:55 AM »

Quote from: Rip on May 31, 2008, 01:22:36 AM

and why exactly would it matter to me if OO was to no longer consume space and bandwidth from my resources? What exactly is it that I stand to lose? If anything my life would be much easier without any need to concern myself with OO. I don't have a single customer who I receive more than a couple hundred dollars a year that comes from website/domain hosting. The revenues combined from such don't even pay the fees to be able to accept VISA/MC/AMEX. The only reason I even bother is because I care. I have nothing to be gained financially from the life or death of OO. Mr. Fed singlehandedly doubled last years revenue with a single donation.

You should have charged what the site was worth Rip.  I never hosted with you because I didn't need the service, but if you'd put up a paypal link or an amazon donation link I'd have sent money.

That said, sixty days with no information is an eternity in internet time.  I appreciate your efforts for the site as much as anyone, and will send money once it's back up, but to expect people to just shrug and say "oh well" about a site in which you, as a fellow poster not a service provider, put as much love as any of us, I don't quite get.

You have a business to run, and everyone appreciates that.  Your paying customers and your family come first.  Perhaps it's time OO became a paying customer.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: May 31, 2008, 01:43:08 AM »

Quote from: Rip on May 31, 2008, 01:22:36 AM

How disappointing that you'd play the "but i'm hosting it for free!" card. I don't think anyone is questioning that you were nice to host OO for free. I think people are questioning why it would take 2 months to get their favorite forum back online. Do you feel that, because you were hosting it for free, that you should be 100% exempt from any criticism in the way you have handled things?

Busy or not, you could've communicated more. You could've been forthright in how long it would take. And if you care, which I'm sure you do at some level, you might've refrained from comments like "It's just a forum, lighten up".

I think there's a lot of us who'd just as soon see the data turned over and let OO get on with a new host, and let you go back to your business, which would in turn make your life easier, and the staff could get on with rebuilding.

The forum obviously isn't a high priority for you right now, and that's cool. You don't owe anyone anything.
Tareeq
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1618 on: May 31, 2008, 01:53:09 AM »

Jeff I'm not sure your post, except for the last sentence, is fair to Rip, as we don't know what communication there has or hasn't been.  We know that Rip took a serious hit to his hardware (I still can't pull up the byteguru site), and we know that he's been working to restore it.  We also know that there have been communications to others, OO staff, to which we weren't privy.  If I had a fire at my office my activity at OO or Popehat would diminish.

I'm fully agreed that Rip doesn't owe us anything, except as a friend.  Perhaps we all should have put Rip in a position where he did owe us something, as customers.  If Rip doesn't want that, perhaps other solutions should be found, but they should be found through civil discussion, as the friends we all are.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: May 31, 2008, 02:27:28 AM »

Tareeq,

This is what people are responding to when they talk about the lack of communication.  Godhugh was "in the loop" so when he says what he says, it's hard to give Rip anymore benefits of the doubt.  And at least one other person "in the loop" has confirmed this.

Quote from: godhugh on May 29, 2008, 03:20:03 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 29, 2008, 02:40:24 PM

Sadly I think Rip has vacated the premises, and I don't think we'll ever see OO again, at least not with all it's history. I want to say some things that I know I shouldn't, so I won't. I'll just let people read my mind.

I don't disagree. Rip's disappearance, not even communicating with myself or other staff, is probably the most disappointing thing about this for me. I'd really just like to get the data back at this point.

Anyway, as Gedd mentioned, we are discussing if and how we could bring OO back up without the history. We're still discussing hosting options right now, so it's still very preliminary.

Again, it's very odd to me that Rip was silent for such a long period and suddenly makes a breakthrough just as Godhugh and others start working on a successor site.

- American Dad
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: May 31, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »

You have NO idea what sort of time commitment it takes to run a front page, and it is like herding wet cats trying to keep a staff of volunteers.  If you go this route, good luck.

Some of us absolutely understand the time commitment it takes to run a vibrant front page.  It's no coincidence that I haven't gotten more involved in OO's front page resurgence.  This is in no way meant as any disrespect to those that did work on OO's front page--they all put a lot of work into it, and with the lackluster support it received from the community after the initial content was up, I'm not sure that it could have been any more successful. 

I do agree that some form of front page is a requirement for OO to live much longer.  Even if nearly everyone comes back--something virtually guaranteed not to happen, unfortunately--we're at this point a small community, and getting smaller by the week.  Blackhawk's comments are right on the money.  The site's focus needs to be determined, a solid plan for frequent, quality content agreed upon, and either a large cadre of contributors or a small but extremely dedicated group (a la PopeHat's) need to get producing content.  Whether this will happen or not, I don't know.  But it's a certainty that OO is a dwindling community without some form of new poster attraction.

To those who have just offered to contribute, no disrespect intended, but I'm not certain you've all thought that through.  We had a lot of people offer to contribute when we first put a front page up.  Once it was up and the reality of the commitment became clear, nearly everyone disappeared.  Those that are offering, ask yourselves--

1) Do you have a clear idea of what you could contribute?  What format this contribution would take?
2) Are you capable of contributing quality material?   
2) How frequently are you prepared to put forth a quality contribution?   How much time would you need to invest into each contribution? 
3) Once the initial rush of publishing your contribution passes and the 'fun' waxes and wanes periodically, what will keep you coming back to contribute quality work?

It's been my experience after years of managing a similar site that very nearly everyone interested in contributing will fail at answering these questions adequately.  Again--no disrespect intended to anyone here; I'm just putting my experiences out there and hopefully getting some people to think things through before making a commitment they may not fully understand.

And of course a lot of work would need to go into determining the focus, format, and organization of any possible front page prior to anything happening at all...

Quote from: Rip

This is quite a revealing post.  I can appreciate that OO isn't the top priority in your life.  Certainly, you have all the right to prioritize the work that puts food on your table.  I don't think anyone here (or on OO) expected you to drop everything and get OO back up.  But your words after this event hit do not at all jive with your words prior to the crash.  If OO truly was such a big burden, then perhaps you should have taken people up on the many offers of donations that were given during OO's years of existence, and/or brought the issue up with the staff.  Again, I'm very grateful for the time and resources you've donated to OO--and to my own sites.  But frankly you've pulled a 180-degree turn in your (public) attitude toward the community, and I wish we'd known where you stood before the crash happened so that we could have planned more prudently.  Not that I'm absolving the staff of blame here; certainly we should have been better prepared than we were. 
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: May 31, 2008, 02:46:03 AM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 31, 2008, 02:34:00 AM

It's been my experience after years of managing a similar site that very nearly everyone interested in contributing will fail at answering these questions adequately.

Which puts an insane amount of stress on the 10% that do make the effort.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 31, 2008, 03:12:10 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 30, 2008, 08:49:12 PM

Quote from: godhugh on May 30, 2008, 08:30:48 PM

I have a suggestion for those who eventually bring the site back up, whether is Godhugh, Gedd or even Rip himself--this time, let's have a front page. Let's making a blog-style front page.. perhaps running with software like Wordpress, and we can all take turns blogging there about what we love best: Video and PC games! Or we can blog about movies, good sci-fi/fantasy books, good music. We have enough opinionated foks here to make that happen and work. I'll gladly blog about movies. Look at Popehat--a nice site with a very interesting concept, videogaming non-assholeish lawyers blogging about the law, life and everything in general. We can do something similar in the new OO.. and if it means we have to build a new community, so be it!

I would absolutely love to do this. However, I'm not nearly creative enough to design and blog on a site. So far, and I mean absolutely no disrespect with this, the community has been full of folks who have front page ideas and requests but no one has really been able/willing to create semi-regular content for a front page. We had some great contributers to the front page when we tried it, but a large part of the community never visited the front page nor volunteered to help with it. However, if we had a decent sized group of people who were willing to run and create content for a front page I would be willing to do whatever I could to make it happen.

Quote from: Mr Fed

Point taken. Yes, it's hard to keep a front page updated. Let me ask a question of the audience here: How many of you would be willing to blog on a OO front page about a favorite subject at least once a week? Just an informal poll.

As I have difficulty understanding the different audience between GT and OO i'd struggle to add OO's one when GT's is far more mature and is working well so a no here .

That said not been to GT's front page for some time  ninja I tend to hit it if I see a link in a topic - perhaps that is a hint to KD and his bunch of volunteers.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 31, 2008, 04:36:48 AM »

Quote from: Tareeq
Perhaps it's time OO became a paying customer.

Agreed. As I mention earlier, I don't think asking for a $10/year annual subscription fee (call it a donation if you will) isn't that big of a deal. Surely, many members would have contributed to such a plan. It's the cost of a measly bargain bin game. And it could avoid situations such as the one that occurred.

Quote from: Zaxxon
To those who have just offered to contribute, no disrespect intended, but I'm not certain you've all thought that through.  We had a lot of people offer to contribute when we first put a front page up.  Once it was up and the reality of the commitment became clear, nearly everyone disappeared.  Those that are offering, ask yourselves--

1) Do you have a clear idea of what you could contribute?  What format this contribution would take?
2) How frequently are you prepared to put forth a quality contribution?   How much time would you need to invest into each contribution?
3) Once the initial rush of publishing your contribution passes and the 'fun' waxes and wanes periodically, what will keep you coming back to contribute quality work?

It's been my experience after years of managing a similar site that very nearly everyone interested in contributing will fail at answering these questions adequately.  Again--no disrespect intended to anyone here; I'm just putting my experiences out there and hopefully getting some people to think things through before making a commitment they may not fully understand.

I agree that perhaps we may not have thought it all thru (I was one of the ones who offered), and I should know how hard is to have folks write for a front page as I've had similar problems at Horror-101. Yet I can't help but think that if we put a dozen guys on the front page, and each contributes one short post a week, that'll be regular content right there.

Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall a clear process back at the time to provide content for the OO front page. I always got the impression that certain posters were just handpicked and just published on the front page by select OO staff. I was never sure what went on. I believe it was some sort of submission process also. I'm more inclined to believe that if you just gave individual posters a writer account, they could post their stuff directly and cut the middleman.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1624 on: May 31, 2008, 05:17:50 AM »

You guys realize that Evil Avatar is just a forum, right?  Their front page is simply a news sub forum whose threads undergo an editorial process...

And they have such a damn spiffy logo, too....  icon_twisted

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 31, 2008, 01:40:17 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 31, 2008, 05:17:50 AM

You guys realize that Evil Avatar is just a forum, right?  Their front page is simply a news sub forum whose threads undergo an editorial process...

And they have such a damn spiffy logo, too....  icon_twisted

This is what I'm talking about. This would be the perfect format for a re-born OO.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 31, 2008, 02:58:19 PM »

If a site accepts subscriptions/donations, are there any problems if the mods try to ban a paid member?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 31, 2008, 03:23:13 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 31, 2008, 02:58:19 PM

If a site accepts subscriptions/donations, are there any problems if the mods try to ban a paid member?

it's probably in the CoC or user agreement that they can boot you for being disruptive, kinda like movie theaters with disruptive customers.

Because I can,
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 31, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 31, 2008, 03:23:13 PM

it's probably in the CoC or user agreement that they can boot you for being disruptive, kinda like movie theaters with disruptive customers.
As I soon found out when I discovered that Sex and the City was not rated NC-17 and made a few forum-like comments about that from my front-row seat.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 31, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »

Glad to hear you're doing well, Rip ... by the way, can I "trust" the source of that site?  icon_lol  (just kidding, my little IE warning pop-up asked me that question).  Anyhow, I hope you have a chance to game a little in the future whenever your personal workload slows down again, and thanks for bringing back the forum.  Whatever criticism that may or may not be deserved I'm pretty sure has already been leveled, so I'm hopeful that everyone can now leave it behind.

Regarding the difference between GT and OO, I would suggest that while they're not incompatible they do serve different niches of the gaming community.  I would love to see both of them continue on and grow in strength.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 31, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 31, 2008, 03:39:15 PM

As I soon found out when I discovered that Sex and the City was not rated NC-17 and made a few forum-like comments about that from my front-row seat.

wait, you got booted from SatC?  HARDCORE!

Because I can,
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 31, 2008, 05:53:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 31, 2008, 03:59:58 PM

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 31, 2008, 03:39:15 PM

wait, you got booted from SatC?  HARDCORE!
Actually I'd been looking for Ironman but when I saw all these ladies walking into this one theater I thought Ironman can wait! I got to get in on this action...five minutes later I was screaming WTF! My eyes! My eyes!

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 31, 2008, 07:47:20 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 31, 2008, 05:53:27 PM

Actually I'd been looking for Ironman but when I saw all these ladies walking into this one theater I thought Ironman can wait! I got to get in on this action...five minutes later I was screaming WTF! My eyes! My eyes!

You have chosen...poorly...
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 31, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on May 31, 2008, 07:47:20 PM

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 31, 2008, 05:53:27 PM

You have chosen...poorly...

Not really.  Now he can say he was part of the biggest opening by a romantic comedy ever and the third highest opening R rated movie of all time.

That's history!  icon_biggrin

- American Dad
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1634 on: May 31, 2008, 08:06:20 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on May 31, 2008, 02:27:28 AM

Tareeq,

This is what people are responding to when they talk about the lack of communication.  Godhugh was "in the loop" so when he says what he says, it's hard to give Rip anymore benefits of the doubt.  And at least one other person "in the loop" has confirmed this.

Quote from: godhugh on May 29, 2008, 03:20:03 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 29, 2008, 02:40:24 PM

Sadly I think Rip has vacated the premises, and I don't think we'll ever see OO again, at least not with all it's history. I want to say some things that I know I shouldn't, so I won't. I'll just let people read my mind.

I don't disagree. Rip's disappearance, not even communicating with myself or other staff, is probably the most disappointing thing about this for me. I'd really just like to get the data back at this point.

Anyway, as Gedd mentioned, we are discussing if and how we could bring OO back up without the history. We're still discussing hosting options right now, so it's still very preliminary.

Again, it's very odd to me that Rip was silent for such a long period and suddenly makes a breakthrough just as Godhugh and others start working on a successor site.

No breakthrough just the end of the month. Either I had to get everything moved or pay for both circuits for another month. No conspiracy just the nature of monthly billing practices.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1635 on: May 31, 2008, 08:12:21 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 31, 2008, 02:34:00 AM

Some of us absolutely understand the time commitment it takes to run a vibrant front page.  It's no coincidence that I haven't gotten more involved in OO's front page resurgence.  This is in no way meant as any disrespect to those that did work on OO's front page--they all put a lot of work into it, and with the lackluster support it received from the community after the initial content was up, I'm not sure that it could have been any more successful. 

I do agree that some form of front page is a requirement for OO to live much longer.  Even if nearly everyone comes back--something virtually guaranteed not to happen, unfortunately--we're at this point a small community, and getting smaller by the week.  Blackhawk's comments are right on the money.  The site's focus needs to be determined, a solid plan for frequent, quality content agreed upon, and either a large cadre of contributors or a small but extremely dedicated group (a la PopeHat's) need to get producing content.  Whether this will happen or not, I don't know.  But it's a certainty that OO is a dwindling community without some form of new poster attraction.

And of course a lot of work would need to go into determining the focus, format, and organization of any possible front page prior to anything happening at all...

Quote from: Rip

This is quite a revealing post.  I can appreciate that OO isn't the top priority in your life.  Certainly, you have all the right to prioritize the work that puts food on your table.  I don't think anyone here (or on OO) expected you to drop everything and get OO back up.  But your words after this event hit do not at all jive with your words prior to the crash.  If OO truly was such a big burden, then perhaps you should have taken people up on the many offers of donations that were given during OO's years of existence, and/or brought the issue up with the staff.  Again, I'm very grateful for the time and resources you've donated to OO--and to my own sites.  But frankly you've pulled a 180-degree turn in your (public) attitude toward the community, and I wish we'd known where you stood before the crash happened so that we could have planned more prudently.  Not that I'm absolving the staff of blame here; certainly we should have been better prepared than we were. 

Valid point. Obviously miscommunication on my part. Of course remember communication takes time as well. Ask my grandmother who hasn't gotten a phone call in 6 months. I'm not trying to make excuses just give out as much info as possible as I get time. Often my intentions become impossible due to unforeseen events and just as often poor planning and execution on my part. As I said I have no problem taking a ton of blame, just want to be as open and as possible and try to find the best path going forward that limits dependence on my time as it is spotty and unpredictable.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1636 on: May 31, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »

OK sent Zaxxon FTP info for the almost 2GB OO tarball and will work on providing a linux VM for OO this afternoon. I am sure staff will need all the linux admin assistance that we can muster as I will have limited time for several days yet. ANyway time to jusp on the new ZX-10r and spped over to Tampicos for a burrito and margarita and will be back at the office in a few.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 31, 2008, 10:41:25 PM »

Quote from: Rip on May 31, 2008, 08:20:07 PM

ANyway time to jusp on the new ZX-10r and spped over to Tampicos for a burrito and margarita and will be back at the office in a few.

Don't forget to change the Polaroid on the web cam. I've seen the same picture of the office since you posted the link.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1638 on: June 01, 2008, 03:40:19 AM »

Quote from: Moliere on May 31, 2008, 10:41:25 PM

Quote from: Rip on May 31, 2008, 08:20:07 PM

ANyway time to jusp on the new ZX-10r and spped over to Tampicos for a burrito and margarita and will be back at the office in a few.

Don't forget to change the Polaroid on the web cam. I've seen the same picture of the office since you posted the link.

Saturday dude. The only one that went in there today was me. You can't tell the stuff I moved around? I guess we will need to have a contest to see who can spot stuff as it moves.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1639 on: June 01, 2008, 03:58:19 AM »

Here's a radical idea.  Instead of running off and trying to create a new front page from scratch, why don't you stay here.  I'm talking about creating a true sister site relationship like Gone Gold and Console Gold back in the day.

KD could lock the PC forum and link to OO for PC discussion.  You could lock you Console forum and link to GT.  You could even work out a unified User list/log on if you wanted.  Both sites would keep their other forums and mods.  (Though unified trade and deal areas might be considered as well)

The GT front page could highlight hot topics on both boards with direct links.  I'm sure something like that is in the redesign anyway. icon_razz  OOer's could chip in with PC news, interviews and maybe even reviews. I believe KD has mentioned time when he's had more games than reviewers. 

There are a lot of details that would have to be worked out, but if you're considering building something from scratch, perhaps it's an idea to consider.

I think things have been more interesting here lately.  I'd hate to see that end.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 90   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: