http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 12:02:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 222952 times)
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: May 30, 2008, 02:36:45 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on May 30, 2008, 02:35:06 AM

Update (x-posted on PH):

We've signed up with a new hosting service now. They come recommended and they appear to have everything we need for OO. I've sent Gedd the info and we should be able to start getting everything (software, domain repointed, etc...) over this weekend. I won't commit to an exact schedule, but we're definitely making some forward progress now.

/dies

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Clanwolfer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 30, 2008, 02:49:14 AM »

This thread may have my highest percentage ever of typed, then deleted posts.

I simply can think of nothing to say that expresses criticism that doesn't immediately become a very harsh, very personal attack on those responsible for this fiasco.

I don't want to wear out my welcome here, which I'm sure I would if I posted what I thought about this whole thing.

Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: May 30, 2008, 03:17:58 AM »

Update (x-posted on PH):

We've signed up with a new hosting service now. They come recommended and they appear to have everything we need for OO. I've sent Gedd the info and we should be able to start getting everything (software, domain repointed, etc...) over this weekend. I won't commit to an exact schedule, but we're definitely making some forward progress now.
Thank you for the news.  Nice to hear anything that is happening.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 30, 2008, 03:19:21 AM »

Quote from: SpaceLord on May 30, 2008, 02:36:45 AM

Update (x-posted on PH):

/dies

Please don't!
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: May 30, 2008, 05:12:26 AM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 30, 2008, 01:28:21 AM

Quote from: Miltonite on May 30, 2008, 01:20:48 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 30, 2008, 12:38:37 AM

Quote from: Miltonite on May 29, 2008, 11:50:30 PM

As I said earlier, I will go back even if it is alone.  OO was my first forum, and first loves are never forgotten.

How'd you come across OO?  I can't think how I would've stumbled across it if I hadn't migrated from GG.

I lived with a guy who went by the name Arcanis that just so happened to work for Rip.  At that time I was an avid gamer, we played instead of studying.  One day he just happened to mention that a gaming forum is hosted on the servers there.  I saw him reading a thread and I had to post a reply.  So I registered, posted my response to someone's comment and just kept returning like an unwanted dog.

Also, you found GW, and that makes you cool.  O how I weep for the first years of GW...

One more thing I owe to Brian/Arcanis. He was the one in the open beta, he is the one that let me make a char on his account, and he is the reason I stole my friend's account and really started playing.  He is still the driving force that makes me continue playing.

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: May 30, 2008, 05:34:44 AM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on May 30, 2008, 02:49:14 AM

I simply can think of nothing to say that expresses criticism that doesn't immediately become a very harsh, very personal attack on those responsible for this fiasco.

I don't want to wear out my welcome here, which I'm sure I would if I posted what I thought about this whole thing.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it wear out your welcome with the old OO folks and not GT?  Or am I missing some connection?  I do that a lot.

Personally, I have wanted to say a few things that might have made me feel better about this whole thing, but I bit my tongue figuring that it wouldn't help and might just hurt, so I know how you feel.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: May 30, 2008, 05:35:16 AM »

Update (x-posted on PH):

Godspeed and thanks for the update.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Mr Bubbles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 30, 2008, 05:54:53 AM »

I'm giddy as a school girl.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1568 on: May 30, 2008, 06:08:29 AM »

how about, with the new forum, a totally new name and theme to go along with the reboot?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 30, 2008, 06:16:35 AM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on May 30, 2008, 06:08:29 AM

how about, with the new forum, a totally new name and theme to go along with the reboot?

/dies

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 30, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »

Quote from: Mr Bubbles on May 30, 2008, 05:54:53 AM

I'm giddy as a school girl.

yeah, but take off that dress.  it's just creepy.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 30, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 30, 2008, 05:34:44 AM

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it wear out your welcome with the old OO folks and not GT?  Or am I missing some connection?  I do that a lot.

Personally, I have wanted to say a few things that might have made me feel better about this whole thing, but I bit my tongue figuring that it wouldn't help and might just hurt, so I know how you feel.

Shit, I'll say it then.  ******* he has no honor.  And I'd love to be proven wrong and would gladly make a public apology in that case.

MOD Edit- Personal attacks against other GT members are a violation of the CoC.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:24:24 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: May 30, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »

Quote from: Z-Corn on May 30, 2008, 12:14:26 PM

Quote from: Arnir on May 30, 2008, 05:34:44 AM

Shit, I'll say it then.  ******,  he has no honor.  And I'd love to be proven wrong and would gladly make a public apology in that case.

I'm talking more in the realm of CoC violations.  After all, Rip is still a member here at GT, and he's still logging in every so often.  I don't want this period to leave a bad impression at GT, and I think tearing into another GT member in this thread would be bad form.  As much as I like it here, and occasionally post in threads that aren't this one, I still consider myself a guest here, and so I'm making every effort to be polite.

MOD Edit- Edited the quote for consistency. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:26:57 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 30, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »

Thank you,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: May 30, 2008, 01:01:12 PM »

Quote from: Z-Corn on May 30, 2008, 12:14:26 PM

[verbal crutch], I'll say it then.  [vocabularily impaired verbal crutch] , he has no honor.  And I'd love to be proven wrong and would gladly make a public apology in that case.

Way to call him out!  No honor, eh?

Perhaps he'll accidentally delete your profile and ban you from the site when and if it ever comes on.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: May 30, 2008, 01:04:08 PM »

A staffer just heard from Rip again.  Sounds like he has upped his staff and is still working on his big clients and such.  Gedd is working on getting things going as far as the forum sans old stuff while wait though.  I'll let those who are actually doing the work comment on what they are doing though.   slywink
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 30, 2008, 01:13:54 PM »

Quote from: Austin on May 30, 2008, 01:04:08 PM

A staffer just heard from Rip again.  Sounds like he has upped his staff and is still working on his big clients and such.  Gedd is working on getting things going as far as the forum sans old stuff while wait though.  I'll let those who are actually doing the work comment on what they are doing though.   slywink

I'm pretty sure he's almost finished inverting the polarity of the tachyon pulse emitter.  After that we just have to perform a level one diagnostic on the cromulation engine, and we should be good to go.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 30, 2008, 01:18:05 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 30, 2008, 01:13:54 PM

I'm pretty sure he's almost finished inverting the polarity of the tachyon pulse emitter.  After that we just have to perform a level one diagnostic on the cromulation engine, and we should be good to go.

If one of our SF Bay Area residents could just stop buy Alameda to pick up a nucular wessel we'll be all set.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 30, 2008, 01:19:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 30, 2008, 01:18:05 PM

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 30, 2008, 01:13:54 PM

If one of our SF Bay Area residents could just stop buy Alameda to pick up a nucular weasel we'll be all set.

fixed that for ya...

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 30, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »

I want a nuclear weasel.  I'd call him Dubayah.

Because I can,
Jolor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 30, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »

If OO comes back, whether with a fully backed up database or as just a message board requiring me to register and "start at 0" all over again, I'll be back gladly. 
If OO doesn't come back for whatever reason, I certainly won't hold a grudge or complain about a 'fiasco' as I lose a free service that was great while it lasted.

Either way, I will continue to lurk & occasionally post here and at QT3 just as I've done for years now; and I will continue to gravitate towards whatever sites have discussions that interest me.  When I look at things pragmatically, OO doesn't owe me anything tangible, and I give them my appreciation for providing an entertaining source of information and leisure.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 30, 2008, 03:18:55 PM »

Quote from: Mr Bubbles on May 29, 2008, 11:35:19 PM

I think it should be brought back up.  Will everyone return.  Most definitely no, but I think there still will be a group of people who would love to make OO their home again.  Its nice that some people have found a home here, but what of those that want it.  I think we owe OO one more shot at life.  I'm not ready to let it flatline just yet. 

Amen. My thoughts exactly. I don't think we should give up on OO so easily.

Sounds like a plan. I like it. I don't mean any disrespect or ungratefulness to Rip. His hosting service kept the website up, running, and building a community for several years. For this, he should be respected and commended. But, how much longer will it take for him and his upstart hosting service to bring the site back up again? Another month.. two? the rest of summer? Maybe sometime in the fall?

The community has already splintered. Popehat is a solid community and will continue to go on strong (I will post there.. as long as Ken doesn't boot me  Tongue). I will also continue to post here, as I've come to see I very much like this site. But we shouldn't let OO die... I thought it was a special place where friendly, mature, intelligent men and women gathered to discuss the hobby of gaming in both seriousness and jest... and in that process lasting friendships were formed. We shouldn't just let that scurry down the plughole just because a site has been down for 60 days. I'm down for fighting for it.

I have a suggestion for those who eventually bring the site back up, whether is Godhugh, Gedd or even Rip himself--this time, let's have a front page. Let's making a blog-style front page.. perhaps running with software like Wordpress, and we can all take turns blogging there about what we love best: Video and PC games! Or we can blog about movies, good sci-fi/fantasy books, good music. We have enough opinionated foks here to make that happen and work. I'll gladly blog about movies. Look at Popehat--a nice site with a very interesting concept, videogaming non-assholeish lawyers blogging about the law, life and everything in general. We can do something similar in the new OO.. and if it means we have to build a new community, so be it!

Back in 2006, I was an associate editor at a horror movie site that fell on his ass due to similar circumstances. The runners of that site did nothing to save the site for over 6 months... so I just sauntered away and founded Horror-101.com.. all by my lonesome self and a couple of refugee writers from the other site. The result of that decision and a bit of hard work, learning some PHP coding myself, and paying a couple of hundred a years of a solid hosting service to host the site, is a website that it's on its way to getting a quarter of a million hits from horror movie fans this year!

The same can happen to OO! So, I say... don't let it die. I'll also go on record and say: I'll gladly play some sort of yearly fee to keep a rebooted OO back online.. so that those running can cover the yearly hosting fee. 10 bucks a person per year to keep the site online? No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Well, those are my thoughts. Hope they've been of help.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1582 on: May 30, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »

If you guys are looking for a hosting solution, I work with a NOC here in Phoenix that does some amazing work and takes their job quite seriously.  They are a 24/7/365 shop and offer dedicated hosting that could handle OO, backups, and future growth.  Let me know....

Clarification: It isn't the NOC where I work. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 30, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 30, 2008, 03:44:51 PM

If you guys are looking for a hosting solution, I work with a NOC here in Phoenix that does some amazing work and takes their job quite seriously.  They are a 24/7/365 shop and offer dedicated hosting that could handle OO, backups, and future growth.  Let me know....

so you work for the other half of the NOC list?

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1584 on: May 30, 2008, 05:15:39 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 30, 2008, 04:52:24 PM

What sort of Xenu-worshiping nutjob psycho do you take me for??

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 30, 2008, 05:59:47 PM »

Bring your own!

Ye Olde Farte
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 30, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »

Quote from: tjg_marantz on May 29, 2008, 11:09:06 PM

I feel like I'm playing for the Leafs. I'm still in the NHL and making big bucks... but it's different.  ninja2

icon_evil
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: May 30, 2008, 06:59:30 PM »

/cheers madly and loudly
/goes to hit the OO shortcut he has plastered everywhere
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 30, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on May 30, 2008, 06:50:17 PM

Quote from: tjg_marantz on May 29, 2008, 11:09:06 PM

I feel like I'm playing for the Leafs. I'm still in the NHL and making big bucks... but it's different.  ninja2

icon_evil
icon_lol

It's how I say Hello - Richard
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 30, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 30, 2008, 05:15:39 PM

I'm debating whether you got the reference or not, and if so if you are just being more clever.

Because I can,
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: May 30, 2008, 08:30:48 PM »

I have a suggestion for those who eventually bring the site back up, whether is Godhugh, Gedd or even Rip himself--this time, let's have a front page. Let's making a blog-style front page.. perhaps running with software like Wordpress, and we can all take turns blogging there about what we love best: Video and PC games! Or we can blog about movies, good sci-fi/fantasy books, good music. We have enough opinionated foks here to make that happen and work. I'll gladly blog about movies. Look at Popehat--a nice site with a very interesting concept, videogaming non-assholeish lawyers blogging about the law, life and everything in general. We can do something similar in the new OO.. and if it means we have to build a new community, so be it!

I would absolutely love to do this. However, I'm not nearly creative enough to design and blog on a site. So far, and I mean absolutely no disrespect with this, the community has been full of folks who have front page ideas and requests but no one has really been able/willing to create semi-regular content for a front page. We had some great contributers to the front page when we tried it, but a large part of the community never visited the front page nor volunteered to help with it. However, if we had a decent sized group of people who were willing to run and create content for a front page I would be willing to do whatever I could to make it happen.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1591 on: May 30, 2008, 08:33:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 30, 2008, 08:09:32 PM

I'm debating whether you got the reference or not, and if so if you are just being more clever.

I'm being more clever, Mr. Phelps.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1592 on: May 30, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on May 30, 2008, 08:30:48 PM

I would absolutely love to do this. However, I'm not nearly creative enough to design and blog on a site. So far, and I mean absolutely no disrespect with this, the community has been full of folks who have front page ideas and requests but no one has really been able/willing to create semi-regular content for a front page. We had some great contributers to the front page when we tried it, but a large part of the community never visited the front page nor volunteered to help with it. However, if we had a decent sized group of people who were willing to run and create content for a front page I would be willing to do whatever I could to make it happen.

You have NO idea what sort of time commitment it takes to run a front page, and it is like herding wet cats trying to keep a staff of volunteers.  If you go this route, good luck.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1593 on: May 30, 2008, 08:45:49 PM »

Providing daily content to a front page can be a huge grind -- even on subjects you love, even with help.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: May 30, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »

Where are we going to meet when GamingTrend goes offline?  I'd like to set that all up now.  I hate having to look around for you guys each time.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: May 30, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 30, 2008, 08:34:42 PM

Quote from: godhugh on May 30, 2008, 08:30:48 PM

You have NO idea what sort of time commitment it takes to run a front page, and it is like herding wet cats trying to keep a staff of volunteers.  If you go this route, good luck.

Quote from: Mr Fed
Providing daily content to a front page can be a huge grind -- even on subjects you love, even with help.

Point taken. Yes, it's hard to keep a front page updated. Let me ask a question of the audience here: How many of you would be willing to blog on a OO front page about a favorite subject at least once a week? Just an informal poll.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1596 on: May 30, 2008, 08:49:59 PM »

Quote from: Butterknife on May 30, 2008, 08:46:45 PM

Where are we going to meet when GamingTrend goes offline?  I'd like to set that all up now.  I hate having to look around for you guys each time.
GT will never die.  If it did, I'm sure CeeKay would make everyone welcome at IncoherentCanukFurries.com.  You .... might want to turn avatars off.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 30, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on May 30, 2008, 08:49:59 PM

Quote from: Butterknife on May 30, 2008, 08:46:45 PM

GT will never die.  If it did, I'm sure CeeKay would make everyone welcome at IncoherentCanukFurries.com.  You .... might want to turn avatars off.

I can't use that URL as Matrix already took it.  I'm thinking FurriesWithHosers.com.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 30, 2008, 08:53:06 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 30, 2008, 08:33:24 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 30, 2008, 08:09:32 PM

I'm being more clever, Mr. Phelps.

dammit, now I get it!  well played sir!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: May 30, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 30, 2008, 08:34:42 PM

so Purge is a wet cat?

<snicker>

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: