http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 09:23:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 215974 times)
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 29, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on May 29, 2008, 03:20:03 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 29, 2008, 02:40:24 PM

Sadly I think Rip has vacated the premises, and I don't think we'll ever see OO again, at least not with all it's history. I want to say some things that I know I shouldn't, so I won't. I'll just let people read my mind.

I don't disagree. Rip's disappearance, not even communicating with myself or other staff, is probably the most disappointing thing about this for me. I'd really just like to get the data back at this point.

Anyway, as Gedd mentioned, we are discussing if and how we could bring OO back up without the history. We're still discussing hosting options right now, so it's still very preliminary.

Didn't you step down GH?  (and thank you all)  How much traffic do we move and store?  I was just wondering what we should look for in a web hosting service?  The first thing I found was six bucks a month.  I was thinking it would be way more expensive.  But I don't know what qualities to look for.

http://www.siteground.com/forum-hosting.htm

By the by, has anyone even heard from ILB since this whole shebang went down or had he become a ghost before OO went down, anyway?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:33:59 PM by LordMortis » Logged
Zaxxon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 29, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »

Probably, godhugh?   ninja
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 29, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 29, 2008, 03:00:43 PM

Quote from: Gratch on May 29, 2008, 02:53:13 PM

I'll just let people read my mind.

You want to to duel ATB to the death in a huge vat of chocolate pudding?  That's messed up man, but whatever floats your boat...

The time for honoring yourself is almost at an end, Gratch.

LOL, you win.  And you owe me a new monitor.   bowdown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 29, 2008, 03:49:59 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 29, 2008, 03:24:13 PM

By the by, has anyone even heard from ILB since this whole shebang went down or had he become a ghost before OO went down, anyway?

Is he Frank on popehat?  Or Steve?  Jim?  Chris?  Smitty?

I can't tell who anyone is over there.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1524 on: May 29, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 29, 2008, 03:49:59 PM

It's actually all me.  I just use different names to talk to myself.

I just need attention.   crybaby

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 29, 2008, 04:03:24 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on May 29, 2008, 03:58:53 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 29, 2008, 03:49:59 PM

It's actually all me.  I just use different names to talk to myself.

I just need attention.   crybaby

I don't think you can sub one Ken for another, can you?

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1526 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 29, 2008, 04:51:13 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on May 29, 2008, 04:36:17 AM

The lack of updates has worn them out and some are suggesting they have info that implies things aren't looking very good. 
Everyone has info that implies things aren't looking very good. No matter how you cut it, no matter how much we appreciate Rip's service to OO, it can't be denied that this whole thing has been a failure of epic proportions. It's just ridiculous that it's taking this long and it's ridiculous that we're not being given updates.

The saddest thing is that there's no intentional reason for it. At least, none that I can grok. "It just happened." Hunh?  crybaby

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 29, 2008, 04:19:14 PM »

Sadly I think Rip has vacated the premises, and I don't think we'll ever see OO again, at least not with all it's history. I want to say some things that I know I shouldn't, so I won't. I'll just let people read my mind.

I don't disagree. Rip's disappearance, not even communicating with myself or other staff, is probably the most disappointing thing about this for me. I'd really just like to get the data back at this point.

Anyway, as Gedd mentioned, we are discussing if and how we could bring OO back up without the history. We're still discussing hosting options right now, so it's still very preliminary.

I'm inclined to go with this idea. Although I hold a sliver of hope for the return of OO (and I check on the site every other day), things are definetely looking grim. And I too I'm beginning to not understand what the hold up is with bringing the site back up. I get it that the database should be saved, but just to have brought the site back up, even as a restart from scratch, would have been enough for some of us.
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 29, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 29, 2008, 04:19:14 PM

I'm inclined to go with this idea. Although I hold a sliver of hope for the return of OO (and I check on the site every other day), things are definetely looking grim. And I too I'm beginning to not understand what the hold up is with bringing the site back up. I get it that the database should be saved, but just to have brought the site back up, even as a restart from scratch, would have been enough for some of us.

It saddens me, but it is looking like OO is not going to come back with the database if it's going to come back at all.  It was a really genuinely nice thing for Rip to host it over the past years, but now his lack of communication worries me that things are not right in his world.  I hope he's ok, but I also think that if folks really want OO back that exploring alternatives is a good call.

Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 29, 2008, 05:55:07 PM »

Without any deeper knowledge or insight into what's been going on and what the prognosis may be, I'd agree that having a backup plan in place is probably a decent idea just in case.  I'm still thinking that Rip will have it up and running at some time in the relatively near future, but that's why it would be a plan B and not a plan A.

Of course, I'm also assuming Ken/ILB would have to be in on such discussions (and that we can't swap one Ken for another), considering the site is in his name.  Does someone in his area want to knock on his door, proverbial or otherwise, and ask for his thoughts?

PS - and for those who are really interested, you can always view stuff via archives like this (see, and here you thought you'd never see that page again, didn't you?   Tongue )
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:00:45 PM by Dan_Theman » Logged
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: May 29, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

Perhaps it's time for ye ole 8D.

http://www.national.com/quality/8d.html

And the ole 5Y.

http://www.isixsigma.com/dictionary/5_Whys-377.htm

Continuous improvement and all that.

Really, this whole thing has become a serious and observable breach in quality.  And while I love the quality that Rip brings to OO, it might just be time and opportunity to be thankful for what we had, cut bait, and try a new lure.

I would be ecstatic to help in any way my limited capacities could.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 29, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »

Quote from: Dan_Theman on May 29, 2008, 05:55:07 PM

PS - and for those who are really interested, you can always view stuff via archives like this (see, and here you thought you'd never see that page again, didn't you?   Tongue )

Nice to see I was logged on at the time.  icon_smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 29, 2008, 06:15:07 PM »

Quote from: Dan_Theman on May 29, 2008, 05:55:07 PM

PS - and for those who are really interested, you can always view stuff via archives like this

Is the "I'm with stupid" binky archived somewhere?  His loss would be one of the most tragic in this SNAFU.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 29, 2008, 06:44:31 PM »

From now on, I'll be registered at more than one forum so one single enemy strike can't take out all my online history in one stroke. So if you all hear rumors of a JStrange on other forums, chatrooms, MySpace, etc., it just very well may be yours truly.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 29, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 29, 2008, 06:44:31 PM

From now on, I'll be registered at more than one forum so one single enemy strike can't take out all my online history in one stroke. So if you all hear rumors of a JStrange on other forums, chatrooms, MySpace, etc., it just very well may be yours truly.

You bring up a valid point.  With OO and GG completely dead I can run for president again as long as the video tape with dwarf in the superman costume never surfaces.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 29, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 29, 2008, 06:47:52 PM

You bring up a valid point.  With OO and GG completely dead I can run for president again as long as the video tape with dwarf in the superman costume never surfaces.

Lord Mortis vs. the Dwarves of Krypton is #3 in my Netflix queue!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 29, 2008, 07:03:34 PM »

As long as my position as head of NSA is secure, the tape is as well.

(yes, I realize *I* am on the same tape, but *I*m not runnin' for prez)

Spawn of OO Collective
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 29, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »

Quote from: chaosraven on May 29, 2008, 07:03:34 PM

You do realize that I blame you for that entire incident.
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 29, 2008, 07:05:43 PM

Quote from: chaosraven on May 29, 2008, 07:03:34 PM

With OO and GG completely dead I can run for president again as long as the video tape with dwarf in the superman costume never surfaces.

I'm comfortable with shouldering the blame, Mister President.

Spawn of OO Collective
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 29, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on May 29, 2008, 07:01:27 PM

Lord Mortis vs. the Dwarves of Krypton is #3 in my Netflix queue!

Actually we kept the poor bastard from getting hurt.  That's how we ended up on tape.  Nothing quite like catching a dwarf moving faster than speeding bullet.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1540 on: May 29, 2008, 07:15:09 PM »

Quote from: chaosraven on May 29, 2008, 07:07:17 PM

Quote from: LordMortis on May 29, 2008, 07:05:43 PM

I'm comfortable with shouldering the blame, Mister President.

your dialogue reminds me of an old xbox game where the US president was powering a mecha suit and stomping out terrorists in old tokyo.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 29, 2008, 07:19:26 PM »

IIRC that's close.

Except replace powering a mecha suit with drinking heavily and stomping out terrorists in old tokyo with stuffing dollars in strippers g-strings in dearborn

Spawn of OO Collective
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 29, 2008, 07:19:52 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 29, 2008, 07:15:09 PM

your dialogue reminds me of an old xbox game where the US president was powering a mecha suit and stomping out terrorists in old tokyo.

I want that.

Quote from: chaosraven on May 29, 2008, 07:19:26 PM

IIRC that's close.

Except replace powering a mecha suit with drinking heavily and stomping out terrorists in old tokyo with stuffing dollars in strippers g-strings in dearborn

Yeah, the tape's real safe.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 29, 2008, 08:00:05 PM »

Didn't you step down GH?  (and thank you all)  How much traffic do we move and store?  I was just wondering what we should look for in a web hosting service?  The first thing I found was six bucks a month.  I was thinking it would be way more expensive.  But I don't know what qualities to look for.

http://www.siteground.com/forum-hosting.htm

Um...no, I didn't step down. And yes, we've been in contact with ILB throughout this and he's ready to repoint the domain to a new hosting service. The only communication problems have been with Rip and also, unfortunately, between us and the community. I'm going to try and make sure we keep yall updated on what we're doing as there is more activity on our end now.

Anyway, that said...I believe I've found a hosting solution that will accomidate us. We're trying to work out some particulars now (eg: forum software), but I'll make sure to post another update tomorrow morning at the absolute latest.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 29, 2008, 08:01:17 PM »

Somebody hold me.

Ye Olde Farte
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 29, 2008, 08:07:20 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on May 29, 2008, 08:00:05 PM

Um...no, I didn't step down. And yes, we've been in contact with ILB throughout this and he's ready to repoint the domain to a new hosting service. The only communication problems have been with Rip and also, unfortunately, between us and the community. I'm going to try and make sure we keep yall updated on what we're doing as there is more activity on our end now.

Anyway, that said...I believe I've found a hosting solution that will accomidate us. We're trying to work out some particulars now (eg: forum software), but I'll make sure to post another update tomorrow morning at the absolute latest.

You rock...  But I still'da swore you stepped down.  *shrug*  As usual, I get a failure in observation marks.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1546 on: May 29, 2008, 08:08:30 PM »

Um...no, I didn't step down.

I thought you stepped down after you sent those obscene pictures by PM.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 29, 2008, 08:13:22 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on May 29, 2008, 08:08:30 PM

I'd forgotten about that. icon_lol
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 29, 2008, 08:18:29 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on May 29, 2008, 08:13:22 PM

A common mistake. That was his evil twin Godhogh.  Thankfully I was cursed with dialup and was able to anticipate the image before it fully loaded.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 29, 2008, 09:37:57 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 29, 2008, 08:18:29 PM

Quote from: godhugh on May 29, 2008, 08:13:22 PM

A common mistake. That was his evil twin Godhogh.  Thankfully I was cursed with dialup and was able to anticipate the image before it fully loaded.

By obscene do you mean damn that is hot or just damn?

From what I read at Popehat, I want to clarify what I have been saying here.  If the choice is to bring back OO with history or w/o, I vote for with very strongly.  But that is only if the two options are relatively equal and I thought it was just a preference request on how to handle the restart.  But, if the real question is wait forever to get the database or restart now, then restart now by all means.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: May 29, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »

ATB, unfortunately, it's become apparent that it's the latter.  I was also very strongly in favor of getting the DB back online, updating the software, and then coming back.  But given the delay we've seen (100% of which has been waiting for the DB), we're really looking at a choice of moving forward with a fresh DB or waiting for <indeterminate time period> for the DB.  Hopefully it comes to us at some point and can be incorporated in some form.  If only for the OONFL threads.   icon_cool
tjg_marantz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: May 29, 2008, 11:09:06 PM »

I feel like I'm playing for the Leafs. I'm still in the NHL and making big bucks... but it's different.  ninja2
Mr Bubbles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: May 29, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »

I think it should be brought back up.  Will everyone return.  Most definitely no, but I think there still will be a group of people who would love to make OO their home again.  Its nice that some people have found a home here, but what of those that want it.  I think we owe OO one more shot at life.  I'm not ready to let it flatline just yet. 
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: May 29, 2008, 11:50:30 PM »

As I said earlier, I will go back even if it is alone.  OO was my first forum, and first loves are never forgotten.

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1554 on: May 30, 2008, 12:11:08 AM »

Quote from: Miltonite on May 29, 2008, 11:50:30 PM

As I said earlier, I will go back even if it is alone.  OO was my first forum, and first loves are never forgotten.

Yeah, but they get married and move on, leaving you lonely and holding a dirty sock.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: May 30, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »

How'd you come across OO?  I can't think how I would've stumbled across it if I hadn't migrated from GG.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: May 30, 2008, 12:56:08 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on May 29, 2008, 08:01:17 PM

Somebody hold me.

no.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: May 30, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on May 30, 2008, 12:11:08 AM

Yeah, but they get married and move on, leaving you lonely and holding a dirty sock.

but you can still call them in the middle of the night when you're drunk.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: May 30, 2008, 01:20:48 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 30, 2008, 12:38:37 AM

How'd you come across OO?  I can't think how I would've stumbled across it if I hadn't migrated from GG.

I lived with a guy who went by the name Arcanis that just so happened to work for Rip.  At that time I was an avid gamer, we played instead of studying.  One day he just happened to mention that a gaming forum is hosted on the servers there.  I saw him reading a thread and I had to post a reply.  So I registered, posted my response to someone's comment and just kept returning like an unwanted dog.

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »

Quote from: Miltonite on May 30, 2008, 01:20:48 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 30, 2008, 12:38:37 AM

I lived with a guy who went by the name Arcanis that just so happened to work for Rip.  At that time I was an avid gamer, we played instead of studying.  One day he just happened to mention that a gaming forum is hosted on the servers there.  I saw him reading a thread and I had to post a reply.  So I registered, posted my response to someone's comment and just kept returning like an unwanted dog.

Also, you found GW, and that makes you cool.  O how I weep for the first years of GW...
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: