http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 04:48:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 220472 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1480 on: May 28, 2008, 06:40:24 PM »

FTR, they cover MY MANHOLE. No one elses. Weirdo.

(and yes, it takes two. My fists are big, but I worked for Convergys/AT&T ... BOHICA was norm there and thusly with 2 I get about 79% coverage).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: May 28, 2008, 06:42:29 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 28, 2008, 06:40:24 PM

FTR, they cover MY MANHOLE. No one elses. Weirdo.

(and yes, it takes two. My fists are big, but I worked for Convergys/AT&T ... BOHICA was norm there and thusly with 2 I get about 79% coverage).
All of which means you should still avoid showering with Chaosraven.  Or CeeKay.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 28, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »

This thread's taken a really ugly turn.  Let's bring things back to some clean discussion with an ordinary screenshot from a new PC release, Age of Conan:

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1483 on: May 28, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »

Thanks 'pug. I want you to deliver my eulogy.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 28, 2008, 06:47:52 PM »

Ignorign the name.  Your Conan character looks like Rocky Balboa.  Which makes me think of Vergis Meridith.  "You're a bum!"   Which will in turn make Purge giggle and remind him of two fisting the manhole.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: May 28, 2008, 06:50:51 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 28, 2008, 06:47:52 PM

Ignorign the name.  Your Conan character looks like Rocky Balboa.

Oh that's not my character; it's an NPC built into the game.  Apparently there's more than one.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 28, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »

If Rip announced the rebirth of the eight legged wonder, would anyone even notice?  ninja

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 28, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 28, 2008, 06:54:57 PM

If Rip announced the rebirth of the eight legged wonder, would anyone even notice?  ninja
Spider Overlords is coming back?!

Just a little hiccup.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1488 on: May 28, 2008, 07:38:23 PM »

Generally I hate hiccups. I make an exception in this case.

Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 28, 2008, 08:07:03 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 28, 2008, 06:54:57 PM

I went and checked.  You bastard.  That brings my total up to 5 times today.

I miss OO. crybaby

It's how I say Hello - Richard
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 28, 2008, 08:19:23 PM »

Agreed - I'll admit to checking on a daily basis.  GT is wonderful, as are my other venues, but OO is ... well, special in its own right.   slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 28, 2008, 08:45:30 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 28, 2008, 06:50:51 PM

Quote from: LordMortis on May 28, 2008, 06:47:52 PM

Ignorign the name.  Your Conan character looks like Rocky Balboa.

Oh that's not my character; it's an NPC built into the game.  Apparently there's more than one.

there's multiple cocks running around.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1492 on: May 28, 2008, 11:39:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 28, 2008, 06:42:45 PM

This thread's taken a really ugly turn.  Let's bring things back to some clean discussion with an ordinary screenshot from a new PC release, Age of Conan:

That is one high level cock handler.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 28, 2008, 11:41:41 PM »

Practice makes perfe^H^H^H^H^Hmessy

Spawn of OO Collective
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 29, 2008, 03:53:36 AM »

So, um, yeah, Rip? Do you still exist? Are you alive? Can we get any kind of an update?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 29, 2008, 03:55:53 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 28, 2008, 11:39:47 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 28, 2008, 06:42:45 PM

That is one high level cock handler.

I hear it involves alot of grinding.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: May 29, 2008, 04:36:17 AM »

To steer this thread back towards its actual purpose for a moment . . .

Looks like a lot of the refugees on Popehat have decided to give up.  The lack of updates has worn them out and some are suggesting they have info that implies things aren't looking very good. 

crybaby

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: May 29, 2008, 04:51:13 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on May 29, 2008, 04:36:17 AM

The lack of updates has worn them out and some are suggesting they have info that implies things aren't looking very good. 
Everyone has info that implies things aren't looking very good. No matter how you cut it, no matter how much we appreciate Rip's service to OO, it can't be denied that this whole thing has been a failure of epic proportions. It's just ridiculous that it's taking this long and it's ridiculous that we're not being given updates.

At this point the OO community should be talking about a new host and getting a forum up, even if it does not have the old posts. Even if OO comes back on Rip's server, we need to find a new host and ensure that this doesn't happen again. It may be too late for the community as is.
Moat_Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: May 29, 2008, 04:59:56 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 29, 2008, 04:51:13 AM

At this point the OO community should be talking about a new host and getting a forum up, even if it does not have the old posts. Even if OO comes back on Rip's server, we need to find a new host and ensure that this doesn't happen again. It may be too late for the community as is.

I've removed OO from my Daily Sites bookmark list and made GT my "home forum". I made the psychological leap shortly after my last post in this thread.

End of line.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: May 29, 2008, 05:47:34 AM »

Quote from: Moat_Man on May 29, 2008, 04:59:56 AM

I can't see any reason to create a new 'OO', if the old one can't come back GT suits pretty much all of my forum needs.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: May 29, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »

Indeed - what would be the point of creating a new OO? And even to bring back the old one? Except for reminiscing?

A new one
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 29, 2008, 10:14:05 AM »

GT is not OO. That's not a bad thing for GT.

Besides, we've had several people express interest in returning to OO. Isn't that enough reason to see it back?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 29, 2008, 11:42:30 AM »

Quote from: Tals on May 29, 2008, 05:47:34 AM

Quote from: Moat_Man on May 29, 2008, 04:59:56 AM

I can't see any reason to create a new 'OO', if the old one can't come back GT suits pretty much all of my forum needs.

I agree.  Quite frankly, I don't see a reason to bring it back in any form at this point, since the entire community has splintered and moved on.  I do wish the powers that be would give some closure to the whole thing, but I'm not holding my breath for that. 

This place is now my official home, with a bit of lurking at PH for good measure.  It's with a bit of sadness that I have deleted my OO bookmark this morning.   icon_frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 29, 2008, 12:18:17 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 29, 2008, 11:42:30 AM

I agree.  Quite frankly, I don't see a reason to bring it back in any form at this point, since the entire community has splintered and moved on.  I do wish the powers that be would give some closure to the whole thing, but I'm not holding my breath for that. 

This place is now my official home, with a bit of lurking at PH for good measure.  It's with a bit of sadness that I have deleted my OO bookmark this morning.   icon_frown

I deleted my OO bookmarks about 3 weeks ago. It's sad, especially with all the history, legendary threads, all the trading feedback - gone.

I still don't understand why the data, after it had been retrieved, could not have been transferred to those who were volunteering to take over hosting. I guess it's a moot point now.

Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 29, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »

Meh - It's not like getting over an ex-girlfriend or anything where you have to "move on" for the sake of your sanity.  A forum is quite literally a place to visit, and I enjoyed visiting with the people there.  If/when it comes back, I'm sure I'll enjoy it again.  *sniff* I love you, man <passes beer>
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: May 29, 2008, 12:29:11 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 29, 2008, 12:18:17 PM

I deleted my OO bookmarks about 3 weeks ago. It's sad, especially with all the history, legendary threads, all the trading feedback - gone.

I just want our Rock Band thread back!   crybaby

LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: May 29, 2008, 01:52:07 PM »

If OO doesn't come back, I'll live.  It will have taught me about the myth of permanence.  A lesson I didn't learn and a warning I didn't heed when we lost GG.  In the mean time, I bought a bunch of small note pads and have them lying around here and there.  I scratch notes in them all of the time and a friend and I are going to actually start a writing workshop, so I have an outlet and will perhaps even organize and write coherently.  It'll be the first time I've tried a dozen years or more.

The problem still remains with this whole reading about PC gaming thing.  I'm completely not sure where I'm going to fill that void with.  We're talking a combined ten years or more of comfort zone (that's now been twice purged).  I'm not sure what to adapt to.  I know Mr Dunn suggests that I should simply post my gaming talk here.  But the thing is that I was reader of PC Gaming and specifically was an avid reader of what was coming down the pipe.  I don't have the resources to find that stuff on my own.  Rich, Andy, Joel, and company were that resource.  When Rich collapsed, GG stepped up and was the became the resource itself.  When GG collapsed, OO picked right up and did excellent job of continuing to present me with "Hey, lookie what I found" moments.  I have as much to contribute there as I do in reading of the morning newspaper, so I just spammed EBG while others contributed the real value to the site.

GT might become the next place.  I don't know.  I also don't know that GT even wants to be that place.  But somewhere the void will be filled.  This is the Internet after all.  This is where people go to collect and present information and then congregate around that information.  When that place surfaces, I'll cower in a corner there somewhere and read up on what is going on the world of PC Gaming pretty much every day.  And when I don't contribute for long enough to the coming gaming chatter, I eventually start talking to myself and the other people talking to themselves in the corner.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: May 29, 2008, 02:02:17 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 29, 2008, 01:52:07 PM

But the thing is that I was reader of PC Gaming and specifically was an avid reader of what was coming down the pipe.  I don't have the resources to find that stuff on my own.

Every Monday Destructor posts his What are you buying this week? post that lists all the week's releases--console and PC.

Not exactly what you're looking for but his posts are a great resource.  Besides helping keep an eye on releases you didn't realize were coming, you can read the buzz in the responses to see what everyone else is excited about (and then the forum effect will drain your wallet).

I wonder if there's any chance the GT site redesign will allow for kooky things like having a single post appear in two subforums.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: May 29, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »

I do wish the powers that be would give some closure to the whole thing, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

If the OO Staff decides to throw in the towel, you can be sure it will be announced.

I don't have any update at this point. The database is still not available. I haven't heard anything new on when it will become available. Staff has started some "what if the db never comes back" discussions, but it's all very preliminary at the moment.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1509 on: May 29, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »

I think OO will be back up in some form sooner or later. It may not have the old OO's post history (which I'm not convinced is even recovered), but it will be better than nothing. And I think folks will go back to it in whatever capacity they feel like.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: May 29, 2008, 02:26:19 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 29, 2008, 02:02:17 PM

Not exactly what you're looking for but his posts are a great resource. 

I think he's looking for a hug.  You go first.

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: May 29, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 29, 2008, 01:52:07 PM

The problem still remains with this whole reading about PC gaming thing.  I'm completely not sure where I'm going to fill that void with.  We're talking a combined ten years or more of comfort zone (that's now been twice purged).  I'm not sure what to adapt to.  I know Mr Dunn suggests that I should simply post my gaming talk here.  But the thing is that I was reader of PC Gaming and specifically was an avid reader of what was coming down the pipe.  I don't have the resources to find that stuff on my own.  Rich, Andy, Joel, and company were that resource.  When Rich collapsed, GG stepped up and was the became the resource itself.  When GG collapsed, OO picked right up and did excellent job of continuing to present me with "Hey, lookie what I found" moments.  .... GT might become the next place. 

I don't mean any disrepect, but GT is far closer to the spiritual successor to GG than OO ever was.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: May 29, 2008, 02:40:24 PM »

Quote from: Gedd on May 29, 2008, 02:10:09 PM

I do wish the powers that be would give some closure to the whole thing, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

If the OO Staff decides to throw in the towel, you can be sure it will be announced.

I don't have any update at this point. The database is still not available. I haven't heard anything new on when it will become available. Staff has started some "what if the db never comes back" discussions, but it's all very preliminary at the moment.

I hope you'll forgive us if we're a few steps ahead of you guys. slywink

For the record Gedd, I really appreciate the time & effort you staffers put into making OO a great forum. It was all volunteer, and that's not something I could do. So .. thanks.

Sadly I think Rip has vacated the premises, and I don't think we'll ever see OO again, at least not with all it's history. I want to say some things that I know I shouldn't, so I won't. I'll just let people read my mind.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: May 29, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 29, 2008, 02:40:24 PM

I'll just let people read my mind.

You want to to duel ATB to the death in a huge vat of chocolate pudding?  That's messed up man, but whatever floats your boat...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: May 29, 2008, 02:55:54 PM »

You're too late-  Austin's innocence has been lost for a long time.

Because I can,
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: May 29, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 29, 2008, 02:36:22 PM

I don't mean any disrepect, but GT is far closer to the spiritual successor to GG than OO ever was.

You might be right.  A spiritual successor I suppose then might not be the home I was meant to find.  I'm happy here for the moment.  I am happy with the warmth here.  But the real reason behind the surfing isn't here (currrently).  It's no more here than would be my reading Dilbert when I was trying to read Calvin and Hobbes.  I am not Scott Adams and I am not Bill Waterson.  I simply read their work.  I find Scott Adams is a fine cartoonist.  An Excellent cartoonist.  But he isn't telling the best story about the fantasy world of a troubled little boy.  That's just life.  It's not good.  It's not bad.  It just the way it is.

Different horses march to separate feathered strokes.  One person's kink might be IRC, another blogging, still another gaming in general.  Me, I'm stuck on the congregation around playing games on a computer.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 29, 2008, 03:00:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 29, 2008, 02:53:13 PM

You want to to duel ATB to the death in a huge vat of chocolate pudding?  That's messed up man, but whatever floats your boat...

The time for honoring yourself is almost at an end, Gratch.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 29, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »

ATB wins the intraweb.

for now....

Because I can,
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 29, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »

Sadly I think Rip has vacated the premises, and I don't think we'll ever see OO again, at least not with all it's history. I want to say some things that I know I shouldn't, so I won't. I'll just let people read my mind.

I don't disagree. Rip's disappearance, not even communicating with myself or other staff, is probably the most disappointing thing about this for me. I'd really just like to get the data back at this point.

Anyway, as Gedd mentioned, we are discussing if and how we could bring OO back up without the history. We're still discussing hosting options right now, so it's still very preliminary.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 29, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on May 29, 2008, 03:20:03 PM

I don't disagree. Rip's disappearance, not even communicating with myself or other staff, is probably the most disappointing thing about this for me. I'd really just like to get the data back at this point.

Anyway, as Gedd mentioned, we are discussing if and how we could bring OO back up without the history. We're still discussing hosting options right now, so it's still very preliminary.

Didn't you step down GH?  (and thank you all)  How much traffic do we move and store?  I was just wondering what we should look for in a web hosting service?  The first thing I found was six bucks a month.  I was thinking it would be way more expensive.  But I don't know what qualities to look for.

http://www.siteground.com/forum-hosting.htm

By the by, has anyone even heard from ILB since this whole shebang went down or had he become a ghost before OO went down, anyway?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:33:59 PM by LordMortis » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: