http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 06:30:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 90   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 225851 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 24, 2008, 06:02:18 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 24, 2008, 12:04:33 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on May 24, 2008, 07:42:43 AM

The question is why the PC section here hasn't taken off.  Nor has the gaming section taken off over at Popehat.  It makes me wonder if OO was really that much of a PC gaming site after all.

a) because there currently aren't many (any?) hot new pc games being released. and ..

b) people are talking more about OO's missing PC games section, instead of using this one slywink

ETA: one other note, the PC gaming section here is split, and that's another reason the main section is appearing less active. Merge the MMO subforum with the PCG section and it would appear to be hopping right now  (thanks to Age of Conan) nod

The PC section here sucks because the people who made OOs PC great don't post here. OO isn't GT, QT3, or PH.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 24, 2008, 08:54:59 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 24, 2008, 06:02:18 PM

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 24, 2008, 12:04:33 PM

The question is why the PC section here hasn't taken off.  Nor has the gaming section taken off over at Popehat.  It makes me wonder if OO was really that much of a PC gaming site after all.

a) because there currently aren't many (any?) hot new pc games being released. and ..

b) people are talking more about OO's missing PC games section, instead of using this one slywink

ETA: one other note, the PC gaming section here is split, and that's another reason the main section is appearing less active. Merge the MMO subforum with the PCG section and it would appear to be hopping right now  (thanks to Age of Conan) nod

The PC section here sucks because the people who made OOs PC great don't post here. OO isn't GT, QT3, or PH.

There is absolutely no reason why GT's PC section can't be the same as OO's - in fact it should be better because OO had that inane 3 way split to stop comparison of titles and discussion of titles prerelease. From a personal point of view if I posted in OO I always did a duplicate post here - in most cases OO would have more people chipping in but thats easily remedied.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1402 on: May 24, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »

This thread reminds me of a puppy dog chasing it's own tail.  It goes round and round and round and round.....

Seriously, folks.  Either post in our PC forums or don't.  It is what you make of it.  Instead of whining about how it isn't like OO, GG, or any of a thousand other forums, get in there and make it closer to what you want it to be.  You have only yourselves to blame if you don't like it.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 24, 2008, 09:48:21 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 24, 2008, 09:27:14 PM

You have only yourselves to blame if you don't like it.

I blame CeeKay.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 24, 2008, 10:11:02 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 24, 2008, 09:48:21 PM

I blame CeeKay.

We all do.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 24, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »

This thread reminds me of a puppy dog chasing it's own tail.  It goes round and round and round and round.....

Seriously, folks.  Either post in our PC forums or don't.  It is what you make of it.  Instead of whining about how it isn't like OO, GG, or any of a thousand other forums, get in there and make it closer to what you want it to be.  You have only yourselves to blame if you don't like it.

We've been saying a whole lot more than simple whining about things here.  Most of us have said that the future of GT's PC forum is in the air, but there are a lot of reasons why the dynamic isn't quite there yet, and for a lot of us those reasons are making us wonder if we should migrate or wait for OO if it comes back.  I don't think we are trying to say anything bad about GT.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:43:18 PM by Arnir » Logged

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 24, 2008, 11:34:41 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 24, 2008, 10:11:02 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 24, 2008, 09:48:21 PM

I blame CeeKay.

We all do.

+1

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 25, 2008, 12:30:47 AM »

It makes me wonder if OO was really that much of a PC gaming site after all.

That's interesting that you mention that. My daily routine used to be to check the Console Gaming forum here and the PC Gaming forum at OO. I remember thinking quite a few times over the past six months that the OO PC Games forum was much quieter than it ever had been before. Maybe I was just imagining things, but it seemed on the whole that the gaming forums at OO had slowly been losing activity over the past year or so. Then I'd click on the Anything Goes forum, or whatever it was called, and there'd be billions of posts. I'd think, "Ah, here is where everyone is!"

I think there's more activity in the PC Games forum here now than there was in OO's PC Gaming forum over the past few months.

And regarding the search function at OO, it worked fine for me sometimes, then it wouldn't work at all for a few weeks. Seemed like it was 50-50 for me.

SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 25, 2008, 01:54:14 AM »

I never thought the PC Gaming forum here was bad at all.

Gaming Trend is a gaming site. For whatever reason since it was Console Gold in the beginning it was assumed to only be consoles. Which isn't true. PC is a console after all.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1409 on: May 25, 2008, 02:17:59 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 24, 2008, 10:40:37 PM

We've been saying a whole lot more than simple whining about things here.  Most of us have said that the future of GT's PC forum is in the air, but there are a lot of reasons why the dynamic isn't quite there yet, and for a lot of us those reasons are making us wonder if we should migrate or wait for OO if it comes back.  I don't think we are trying to say anything bad about GT.

No.  No, our PC forum is NOT in the air, some people's opinions of it is.  A forum is only as good as the people who post on it, and if 'the dynamic' isn't there yet, wondering if it ever will be 'there' is a pointless endeavor.  Yes, OO had a ton of PC gaming posts, just like Gone Gold before it.  Yes, around 4 years ago we stopped being a console only site and started covering PC games as well, adding the PC forum at that time.  Yes, the traffic to that forum hasn't been on par with the traffic in our console forum, naturally.  Funny thing is, though, there are a ton of PC gamers that frequent these boards, many of them who pretty much reserved those posts for OO.  OO is AWOL, Gone Gold is just Gone, GT is here, just as it's always been.  I can totally understand reticence to open up and post if your site of preference is gone for a few days, or even a couple of weeks.  Many of us felt that way when GG went belly up, and I'm not denigrating anyone's bereavement of a beloved online hangout.  It just seems silly to me that there are people posting here, two months after OO went down, still wondering aloud if they should post in a PC forum on another site simply because it isn't the same.  Just post. Nobody here is gonna bite you.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: May 25, 2008, 02:20:13 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 25, 2008, 01:54:14 AM

Which isn't true. PC is a console after all.

I guess technically, but most people consider PCs and consoles to be separate.  That's just kind of understood, right?

I agree with the Fool though.  If people want to make the PC section stronger, then get in there and make it happen!
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 25, 2008, 04:48:50 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on May 25, 2008, 02:17:59 AM

Nobody here is gonna bite you.
Liar.  It is for this specific reason that I avoid CeeKay. paranoid

It's how I say Hello - Richard
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 25, 2008, 04:52:55 AM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on May 25, 2008, 04:48:50 AM

I swear there was a mosquito on your arm!

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: May 25, 2008, 04:56:20 AM »

The only thing the PC forum here lacks is population.  I'm looking at the cross-platform gaming sections of Qt3 and Gamers with Jobs and most of the PC topics are ongoing multiplayer threads.  The few recent news bits and releases there are to talk about in the PC world have equivalent threads in GT.  So what little there is to talk about right now is ready and waiting to be talked about.

I frequented both OO and GT's PC forum and while there was a higher quantity of discussion at OO there are great threads here as well.  The Sins of a Solar Empire thread comes to mind immediately, as the GT one had much more information than the OO one--and more participation from the devs.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 25, 2008, 04:59:44 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 24, 2008, 10:40:37 PM

No.  No, our PC forum is NOT in the air, some people's opinions of it is.  A forum is only as good as the people who post on it, and if 'the dynamic' isn't there yet, wondering if it ever will be 'there' is a pointless endeavor.  Yes, OO had a ton of PC gaming posts, just like Gone Gold before it.  Yes, around 4 years ago we stopped being a console only site and started covering PC games as well, adding the PC forum at that time.  Yes, the traffic to that forum hasn't been on par with the traffic in our console forum, naturally.  Funny thing is, though, there are a ton of PC gamers that frequent these boards, many of them who pretty much reserved those posts for OO.  OO is AWOL, Gone Gold is just Gone, GT is here, just as it's always been.  I can totally understand reticence to open up and post if your site of preference is gone for a few days, or even a couple of weeks.  Many of us felt that way when GG went belly up, and I'm not denigrating anyone's bereavement of a beloved online hangout.  It just seems silly to me that there are people posting here, two months after OO went down, still wondering aloud if they should post in a PC forum on another site simply because it isn't the same.  Just post. Nobody here is gonna bite you.

Quite true - I phrased my statement poorly. The GT PC forum is NOT up in the air.  Whether or not some folks are going to make the forum home is what is up in the air.  And yes, posting is the way to get the forum more active.  I think that some folks who post mainly in the gaming forums are more reticent, for whatever reason, than the folks that post a lot in the OT forums and for whatever reason they need to feel more comfortable.  How to do that is not soemthing I know how to accomplish.  Of course my comments are primarily motivated by the question about the history of OO.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 25, 2008, 05:02:21 AM »

OO's PC posting, IMO, was pretty slow the few months before the crash.  But I think some of it was because of the lack of hot new releases.  I'm not into MMOs so I didn't participate in many of those so I don't remember how much activity they had.

Lots of things are sweeter in memory.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1416 on: May 25, 2008, 05:12:06 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 25, 2008, 05:02:21 AM

Like sweet Janine Sawyer...ah, those were the days.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 25, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »

Or even Diane Sawyer......................

Ye Olde Farte
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 25, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 25, 2008, 05:02:21 AM

OO's PC posting, IMO, was pretty slow the few months before the crash.  But I think some of it was because of the lack of hot new releases.  I'm not into MMOs so I didn't participate in many of those so I don't remember how much activity they had.

We've already got one AAR going in there-I'm about to start a second one.  I'd love a Silent Hunter 4 AAR if anyone is up for it smile
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 25, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »

Quote from: Godzilla Blitz on May 25, 2008, 12:30:47 AM

It makes me wonder if OO was really that much of a PC gaming site after all.

That's interesting that you mention that. My daily routine used to be to check the Console Gaming forum here and the PC Gaming forum at OO. I remember thinking quite a few times over the past six months that the OO PC Games forum was much quieter than it ever had been before. Maybe I was just imagining things, but it seemed on the whole that the gaming forums at OO had slowly been losing activity over the past year or so. Then I'd click on the Anything Goes forum, or whatever it was called, and there'd be billions of posts. I'd think, "Ah, here is where everyone is!"

I think there's more activity in the PC Games forum here now than there was in OO's PC Gaming forum over the past few months.

How very odd that I thought the same exact thing. About a month Before OO slipped into the sea I had started posting here more often than in the past.  I always visited and lurked here but started participating more.  Granted we were in a overall pc gaming slump as far as releases but OO was becoming less and less 'meaty' IMO.  GT's MMORPG section has been rocking for a long time now and the regular PC gaming section is catching up with the influx of new posters.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 25, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on May 25, 2008, 10:46:30 AM

remember when Angela Lansbury was hot?

Because I can,
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 25, 2008, 05:18:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2008, 04:34:20 PM

No, I don't.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: May 25, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 25, 2008, 05:18:06 PM

No, I don't.

You should have seen her in 1949 in Sampson and Delilah.

Ye Olde Farte
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 25, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on May 25, 2008, 05:47:36 PM

No, I don't.

Or in Beauty and the Beast. Mrs. Potts is steamin' hot!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 25, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »

Quote from: ATB on May 25, 2008, 06:47:49 PM

Quote from: dbt1949 on May 25, 2008, 05:47:36 PM

No, I don't.

Or in Beauty and the Beast. Mrs. Potts is steamin' hot!

Court Jester FTW.

Because I can,
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: May 27, 2008, 06:06:33 PM »

No kidding.  If my job suddenly stopped paying me for a month or two (I'm thinking his income is dried up due to this), I'd be in absolute panic mode.  If I also had to pay employees out what I wasn't receiving, I'd give serious consideration to running for the hills.

Hang in there, Rip.  We miss the forum, but we're all pulling for you.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 27, 2008, 06:27:21 PM »

Quote from: Dan_Theman on May 27, 2008, 06:06:33 PM

No kidding.  If my job suddenly stopped paying me for a month or two (I'm thinking his income is dried up due to this), I'd be in absolute panic mode.  If I also had to pay employees out what I wasn't receiving, I'd give serious consideration to running for the hills.

Hang in there, Rip.  We miss the forum, but we're all pulling for you.
I think earlier in the thread Rip said something along the lines of all the money he made from hosting wouldn't even buy his family one nice dinner out.  So, I don't think money is in this.  I could be wrong, but I think he said that the stuff he does for a living either wasn't part of the problem or was sorted out rapidly.

I'm pulling for OO as well.

Fellstrike
Gaming Trend Reader

Pimp Walking Amongst Mere Hoes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1427 on: May 27, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »

I may return one day, but it won't be for a while.
Not only to [OO] but also everywhere else.

http://www.pwned.com/showblog/2710/stryke_hearts/Why_I_m_leaving

Later all.

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: May 27, 2008, 06:49:13 PM »

Quote from: Fellstrike on May 27, 2008, 06:44:00 PM

I may return one day, but it won't be for a while.
Not only to [OO] but also everywhere else.

http://www.pwned.com/showblog/2710/stryke_hearts/Why_I_m_leaving

Later all.
Can I have your stuff?
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 27, 2008, 06:54:37 PM »

In that case I'm leaving too.

Goodbye cruel world I'm off to join the circus.

Ye Olde Farte
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: May 27, 2008, 07:13:53 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on May 27, 2008, 06:54:37 PM

In that case I'm leaving too.

Goodbye cruel world I'm off to join the circus.

dibs on the goats!

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1431 on: May 27, 2008, 07:15:37 PM »

off to join the circus.

It seems that you've already arrived.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 27, 2008, 07:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 27, 2008, 07:15:37 PM

off to join the circus.

It seems that you've already arrived.

Actually, I think it came looking for me. icon_confused

Ye Olde Farte
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1433 on: May 27, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2008, 04:52:55 AM

You BITE mosquitos off people?

Freak.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 27, 2008, 08:59:41 PM »

Quote from: Purge on May 27, 2008, 08:04:10 PM

Freak.

well I got yelled at for trying to slice them off with a machete, so I chose the logical alternative.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 27, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 27, 2008, 08:59:41 PM

Freak.

well I got yelled at for trying to slice them off with a machete, so I chose the only marginally less psychopathic alternative.

Fixed that for you.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 27, 2008, 11:32:43 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 27, 2008, 09:43:53 PM

Freak.

well I got yelled at for trying to slice them off with a machete, so I chose the only marginally less psychopathic alternative.

Fixed that for you.

Huw is my purple pill.

Because I can,
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 28, 2008, 12:34:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 27, 2008, 11:32:43 PM

You BITE mosquito's off people?

Freak.

Fixed that for you.

Huw is my purple pill.
I never yelled at you for the machete in the first place.  It was only a flesh wound.  Sheesh.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1438 on: May 28, 2008, 03:50:09 AM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on May 28, 2008, 12:34:28 AM

Freak.

Fixed that for you.

Huw is my purple pill.
I never yelled at you for the machete in the first place.  It was only a flesh wound.  Sheesh.

I think the 2 makes you look distinguished.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 28, 2008, 05:46:08 AM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on May 28, 2008, 12:34:28 AM

Freak.

Fixed that for you.

Huw is my purple pill.

you didn't, but Chaos got a bit testy about it.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 90   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: