http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 05:16:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 222789 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: May 23, 2008, 12:23:48 AM »

I also miss OO.  I miss having many of the awesome people here and at Popehat all in the same place.  I miss some of the epic threads and many of the relationships that were created through them.  However, I'm quickly getting to the point that even if OO does come back, I'm not sure I want to bother getting involved again.  When you know that the community can simply disappear at any time, with no notice and no prospect or time frame to return, it certainly diminishes the desire to put forth the effort to get it back up and running.  It was much more than "just a message board" to many of us, and I'll be interested to see if it can ever become so again.  Sadly, every day that passes I simply feel more and more removed.  I hope that I'm wrong and it will come back stronger, but I have my doubts.

On the flip side, I always loved the console aspects of GT but thought the off-topic forum was a bit lacking in comparison.  That has certainly changed, and GT is really starting to feel like a more permanent home.  Thanks to Ron and crew for all you guys do.   thumbsup 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 23, 2008, 12:43:05 AM »

does anyone know whatever happened to Jef V?  is he too good to hang out with us here?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 23, 2008, 01:54:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2008, 12:43:05 AM

does anyone know whatever happened to Jef V?  is he too good to hang out with us here?

Good question.  I don't think I've seen him at Popehat either.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 23, 2008, 02:08:47 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 23, 2008, 12:23:48 AM

I also miss OO.  I miss having many of the awesome people here and at Popehat all in the same place.  I miss some of the epic threads and many of the relationships that were created through them.  However, I'm quickly getting to the point that even if OO does come back, I'm not sure I want to bother getting involved again.  When you know that the community can simply disappear at any time, with no notice and no prospect or time frame to return, it certainly diminishes the desire to put forth the effort to get it back up and running.  It was much more than "just a message board" to many of us, and I'll be interested to see if it can ever become so again.  Sadly, every day that passes I simply feel more and more removed.  I hope that I'm wrong and it will come back stronger, but I have my doubts.

Agreed on all counts, and that makes me quite sad. 

Re: Jeff V - he's around.  I ran a 60m relay with him a couple weeks ago and I know he survived.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 23, 2008, 02:22:01 AM »

On the flip side, I always loved the console aspects of GT but thought the off-topic forum was a bit lacking in comparison.  That has certainly changed, and GT is really starting to feel like a more permanent home.  Thanks to Ron and crew for all you guys do.   thumbsup 

+1

I feel bad to criticize, but I am getting the feeling that the OO people don't really care.  I know that volunteers are volunteers, but if you don't get the job done then you aren't really a volunteer.  I've managed some minor not-for-profit groups and one of the biggest problems we had was the unreliablilty of volunteers.  Their attitude was if you don't appreciate our work, we'll quit.  The problem was, they wern't doing anything but we had trusted them.

I am not singling out anyone because I really don't know the details, but the lack of communication about the update just screams "who cares."  It makes me sad.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 23, 2008, 02:54:58 AM »

I'm almost of the opinion now that I don't really care if OO comes back - i've got GT, QT3, and Popehat - which basically has all of the same people and the longer this goes on the better the PC scene on GT will get. I mean shucks, I started another AAR on here its almost OO already.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 23, 2008, 04:06:24 AM »

I miss OO dearly. I like GT and Popehat, but there are some differences which reinforce my love for OO. That said, I'm pretty disappointed in Rip here. Rip, if you're reading this, I love ya for your crazy right wing side and for your service to OO, but holy shit man, it's been almost 2 months.

Still, I don't think it matters much when any of us say where we're going to make our homes when OO comes back. I guess I'll handle the forums like I handle threads - if something interests me I'll look at it; if I feel I should contribute, I'll post. If OO comes back and is a Bovine Conspiracy-esque ghost town, obviously I won't post there much. If it comes back and there's some interesting threads, it will consume my time. I guess in short, it's the content that matters.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 23, 2008, 04:57:17 AM »

I'm just wondering why one of the little guys hasn't just said fuck it and recreated the forum at another site.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 23, 2008, 09:35:50 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 23, 2008, 02:22:01 AM

I feel bad to criticize, but I am getting the feeling that the OO people don't really care.  I know that volunteers are volunteers, but if you don't get the job done then you aren't really a volunteer.  I've managed some minor not-for-profit groups and one of the biggest problems we had was the unreliablilty of volunteers.  Their attitude was if you don't appreciate our work, we'll quit.  The problem was, they wern't doing anything but we had trusted them.

I am not singling out anyone because I really don't know the details, but the lack of communication about the update just screams "who cares."  It makes me sad.

FWIW, some of us 'volunteers' are as frustrated as any of you guys. 
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 23, 2008, 10:29:15 AM »

Quote from: CSL on May 23, 2008, 02:54:58 AM

I'm almost of the opinion now that I don't really care if OO comes back - i've got GT, QT3, and Popehat - which basically has all of the same people and the longer this goes on the better the PC scene on GT will get. I mean shucks, I started another AAR on here its almost OO already.

Yeah, I think I'll just be staying here.  The only thing I will probably drop back to OO for is the OONFL2K8.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 23, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »

This increasingly has the feeling of something that will have a long, interesting story with villains told about it either when the site is restored or when the volunteers have given up.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 23, 2008, 11:57:28 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on May 23, 2008, 04:06:24 AM

If OO comes back and is a Bovine Conspiracy-esque ghost town, obviously I won't post there much.

Well, to be fair to BC, most of the action was in IRC.  I know GG/OO flirted with IRC, but IRC is basically king for the BC regulars.  It's saucy in there.

Also, I think R00b and Tiktok are dating.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 23, 2008, 12:30:48 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 23, 2008, 09:35:50 AM

Quote from: Arnir on May 23, 2008, 02:22:01 AM

FWIW, some of us 'volunteers' are as frustrated as any of you guys. 
I'm sure that is true, and I know I am painting with too broad of a brush, but I really don't know who does what at OO. 

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 23, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »

Quote from: CSL on May 23, 2008, 04:57:17 AM

I'm just wondering why one of the little guys hasn't just said fuck it and recreated the forum at another site.

Just for fun...

Poll - Octopus Overlords is:

a) The people (posters).
b) The history (posts).
c) Both a and b.
d) [Insert snarky comment...e.g. "Dead"]
Archangel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 23, 2008, 12:40:31 PM »

I don`t really get why so many people all of a sudden get this almost indifferent attitude towards wether OO comes back or not.

You can all wait for years when games are in the making, but don`t have the patience to wait even for a few months on a forum to get back online.

PointerOO
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: May 23, 2008, 01:00:05 PM »

Quote from: Gedd on May 23, 2008, 12:32:41 PM

Just for fun...

Poll - Octopus Overlords is:

a) The people (posters).
b) The history (posts).
c) Both a and b.
d) [Insert snarky comment...e.g. "Dead"]

Answer C for me.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 23, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »

Quote from: Archangel on May 23, 2008, 12:40:31 PM

I don`t really get why so many people all of a sudden get this almost indifferent attitude towards wether OO comes back or not.

You can all wait for years when games are in the making, but don`t have the patience to wait even for a few months on a forum to get back online.

It's because after 50 days you start to give up hope.

The game analogy falls apart quickly because OO isn't offline for improvements and an exciting relaunch.  It's just dead, with no ETA on a return.  The community is splintering off to new homes, so that if and when it does revive, it will undoubtedly be missing a chunk of the core posters that made it what it was.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 23, 2008, 01:17:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 23, 2008, 01:08:08 PM

The game analogy falls apart quickly because OO isn't offline for improvements and an exciting relaunch.  It's just dead, with no ETA on a return.  The community is splintering off to new homes, so that if and when it does revive, it will undoubtedly be missing a chunk of the core posters that made it what it was.

Hope is the ironic damnation of Pandora.  A painful ancient Greek lie that has been passed down 2500 years to keep us complacent or to rally us into doing something that will probably turn out poorly.  Let it go and bid it never come back and you'll feel much better.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 23, 2008, 01:48:16 PM »

Quote from: CSL on May 23, 2008, 02:54:58 AM

+1

I'm here to stay. I'm getting to know all of the posters and am starting to post more frequently myself. I like it here. If OO comes back I will still visit and post occasionally, but I've gotten so used to NOT having OO that I'm indifferent as to whether or not it comes back at this point.
Archangel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 23, 2008, 02:03:52 PM »

Guess I`m just a very patient man then compared to others.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 23, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

SonsoftheOverlords.com?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 23, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on May 23, 2008, 02:08:47 AM

Agreed on all counts, and that makes me quite sad. 

Re: Jeff V - he's around.  I ran a 60m relay with him a couple weeks ago and I know he survived.

I was excited when we had a Jeff register there but turns out it wasn't him.

Because I can,
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: May 23, 2008, 02:17:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2008, 02:14:38 PM

SonsoftheOverlords.com?

I like it.  How about

returnoftherevengeofthesonofthebrideoftheoverlordspartii.com

I'll bet Matrix hasn't squated on that URL yet.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: May 23, 2008, 02:28:38 PM »

Quote from: Archangel on May 23, 2008, 02:03:52 PM

Guess I`m just a very patient man then compared to others.

I saw pale kings and princes too,
       Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci
       Hath thee in thrall!’

I saw their starved lips in the gloam
       With horrid warning gaped wide,
And I awoke and found me here
       On the cold hill’s side.

And this is why I sojourn here,
       Alone and palely loitering,
Though the sedge is withered from the lake,
       And no birds sing.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: May 23, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 23, 2008, 02:17:29 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2008, 02:14:38 PM

SonsoftheOverlords.com?

I like it.  How about

returnoftherevengeofthesonofthebrideoftheoverlordspartii.com

I'll bet Matrix hasn't squated on that URL yet.

octopustentacledating.com is already taken  slywink

Because I can,
Cota
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: May 23, 2008, 03:09:28 PM »

Ok ok ok, I give up. I'm making Gaming Trend my home page. I once roosted here, after the demise of Gone Gold. But the WoW gold selling/powerleveling ads drove me away to Octopus Overlords. I know those ads didn't last long, but I had made my move. Now I'm back here. I'll miss the PC games forum at OO. That's how it goes. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off the PC section.

-Cota
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: May 23, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »

To extend the game analogy, could you remain excited for a game release if you knew that once released, said game could uninstall itself and delete your saves at any time and not be playable for days, weeks, or even months?  Even if it's fun, I doubt I'd bother put much effort into a game like that.

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: May 23, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »

When Octopi Fly

Flung onto the ice for the amusement of the crowd.

This may explain the absence of the legendary "core Octopus Overlords members" - those elite who posted dozens of posts daily on subjects ranging from Commodore 64 games to best ways to fake your own death.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Archangel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: May 23, 2008, 03:52:40 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 23, 2008, 03:23:57 PM

To extend the game analogy, could you remain excited for a game release if you knew that once released, said game could uninstall itself and delete your saves at any time and not be playable for days, weeks, or even months?  Even if it's fun, I doubt I'd bother put much effort into a game like that.

Well for me its more like if I see a game I might like I wait as long as it takes couse I have an interest in the product then I don`t really care how LONG it takes to make couse I`ll still get it.

With the forum, sure I like(d) OO and once it was down, I was like "Ok I hope it comes up again", I mean I have been hanging around OO for some years and just to leave the forum couse it has a 2 month down period in those years is...well not my style if one could call it that.

I`m not refering to the loss of files, unstable server whatever, I am more refering to the TIME aspect hence my game analogy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: May 23, 2008, 04:05:12 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 23, 2008, 03:46:05 PM

When Octopi Fly

This may explain the absence of the legendary "core Octopus Overlords members" - those elite who posted dozens of posts daily on subjects ranging from Commodore 64 games to best ways to fake your own death.

most of them are over at Popehat.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: May 23, 2008, 04:11:35 PM »

Quote from: Archangel on May 23, 2008, 03:52:40 PM

Quote from: Gratch on May 23, 2008, 03:23:57 PM

Well for me its more like if I see a game I might like I wait as long as it takes couse I have an interest in the product then I don`t really care how LONG it takes to make couse I`ll still get it.

With the forum, sure I like(d) OO and once it was down, I was like "Ok I hope it comes up again", I mean I have been hanging around OO for some years and just to leave the forum couse it has a 2 month down period in those years is...well not my style if one could call it that.

I`m not refering to the loss of files, unstable server whatever, I am more refering to the TIME aspect hence my game analogy.

If you want a game analogy, how about using an MMO?  Don't picture WoW, since that is a rare mythical beast, but instead a mere mortal MMO like City of Heroes or LoTR online.

You're a pretty regular player.  You've got a small cohesive guild of friends, good ties to several other guilds you get along with, along with a collection of individual friends you've met in the world. 

Then the servers go down for a month.

You find some of your acquaintances on your guild's message board, but not everyone visits it and you lose communication with some of your buddies.  A lot of people are waiting for the game to come back online but they don't just want to sit and twiddle their thumbs so they try Age of Conan, or the Warhammer beta, or fire up their neglected console system.

Another month passes and the game is still down.  More people have shifted to other games, and a lot of the people you know are reconvening in your sister guild in Age of Conan.

Some indefinite time after that, the game's servers come back up, open for business again, come on back.

Would you expect everyone to be chomping at the bit to get right back to the old game?  Or can see how as more and more time passes, it becomes less and less important when the servers will come back.  People have new games, new communities, new routines.  And the old game might not feel the way it used to with so many of your friends now invested in other games.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 23, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »

Quote from: Archangel on May 23, 2008, 03:52:40 PM

It's no longer a matter of time, it's a matter of it being in undependable hands.

This is kind of a tough situation for the bystanders. Complaints are prone to be taken as invalid since the host is doing the work for free, and well, the downtime is crazy excessive, and people have volunteered to take over the hosting, so on that hand complaints might be more valid.

All I want at this point is for the files to be handed over to someone who can make it a higher priority. Like Gratch, I'm not sure I can invest the time & effort again when I no longer trust the operator, free or not.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 23, 2008, 04:46:44 PM »

gah, I just realized that I've picked up 2 additional forums since OO when done, and if it comes back it will be the 4th.

Because I can,
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 23, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »

I think those who are getting annoyed with OO being down are more likely annoyed with the lack of updates regarding progress.  From the outside it looks as though TPTB from OO have been sitting on their asses since the 9th.  That is the part that is bothering me.  It has been expressed time and again that folks would like to know how things are going and if they can help but we still get nothing.  OO, to me, was a place of friendship.  This lack of communication is not an act of friendship.  I fully intend to return but how long I remain after that is anyone's guess.  This silence is creating more of a rift than the downtime could ever make.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
Mr Bubbles
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 23, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »

See now I had to come out of lurker mode.  All of this is making baby Octopi cry.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 23, 2008, 05:01:50 PM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on May 23, 2008, 04:52:31 PM

I think those who are getting annoyed with OO being down are more likely annoyed with the lack of updates regarding progress.  From the outside it looks as though TPTB from OO have been sitting on their asses since the 9th.  That is the part that is bothering me.  It has been expressed time and again that folks would like to know how things are going and if they can help but we still get nothing.  OO, to me, was a place of friendship.  This lack of communication is not an act of friendship.  I fully intend to return but how long I remain after that is anyone's guess.  This silence is creating more of a rift than the downtime could ever make.

Well said.  How much effort would it take to put up a two sentence progress update once a week so we at least know something is happening?

Archangel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 23, 2008, 05:09:45 PM »

I too would like more updates as everyone but the lack of it doesn`t make me think twize about wether I`m going back or not if the site goes online again.
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1357 on: May 23, 2008, 05:14:17 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 23, 2008, 04:05:12 PM

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 23, 2008, 03:46:05 PM

When Octopi Fly

most of them are over at Popehat.

Or would be, except that Popehat is down for a short time.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
Muad Dib
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 23, 2008, 05:21:48 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on May 23, 2008, 05:01:50 PM

Quote from: Remus West2 on May 23, 2008, 04:52:31 PM

Well said.  How much effort would it take to put up a two sentence progress update once a week so we at least know something is happening?
Unfortunately, there is very little to say.  We're awaiting the database so that we can upgrade it to a new forum software.  Gedd asked the question he did earlier because there is a fundamental belief amongst TPTB that OO is not a particularly attractive alternative to PH/GT/GWJ/QT3/etc without its history.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 23, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

I noticed the Wanderers' site is back up, seemingly with its forum history intact.  Did they get it recovered from Rip or did they have some other form of backup they used?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: