http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 07:13:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 222886 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: May 01, 2008, 04:37:02 AM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 01, 2008, 02:41:07 AM

Quote from: Laner on May 01, 2008, 01:41:14 AM

I just wanted to be post 1000 in this thread.

Carry on.

This is da best post Truthiness!

Nice job on being post 1000 in this thread, SkyLander.  It's really quite an honor.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 01, 2008, 05:27:44 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 01, 2008, 04:37:02 AM

Carry on.

Nice job on being post 1000 in this thread, SkyLander.  It's really quite an honor.

wat

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 01, 2008, 06:29:05 AM »

Carry on.

now it's mine!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 01, 2008, 06:30:48 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2008, 06:29:05 AM

Carry on.

now it's mine!!!
Nope, you're the 1000th reply.  Try again at 2000.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 01, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »

So, what's the definition of 'Short'?

1.   having little length; not long.
2.   having little height; not tall: a short man.
3.   extending or reaching only a little way: a short path.
4.   brief in duration; not extensive in time: a short wait.
5.   brief or concise, as writing.
6.   rudely brief; abrupt; hurting: short behavior.
7.   low in amount; scanty: short rations.
8.   not reaching a point, mark, target, or the like; not long enough or far enough.
9.   below the standard in extent, quantity, duration, etc.: short measure.
10.   having a scanty or insufficient amount of (often fol. by in or on): He was short in experience.
11.   being below a necessary or desired level; lacking: The office is short due to winter colds and flu.
12.   Cookery.
a.   (of pastry and the like) crisp and flaky; breaking or crumbling readily from being made with a large proportion of butter or other shortening.
b.   (of dough) containing a relatively large amount of shortening.
13.   (of metals) deficient in tenacity; friable; brittle.
14.   (of the head or skull) of less than ordinary length from front to back.
15.   Stock Exchange.
a.   not possessing at the time of sale commodities or stocks that one sells.
b.   noting or pertaining to a sale of commodities or stocks that the seller does not possess, depending for profit on a decline in prices.
16.   Phonetics.
a.   lasting a relatively short time: “Bit” has a shorter vowel-sound than “bid” or “bead.”
b.   belonging to a class of sounds considered as usually shorter in duration than another class, as the vowel of but as compared to that of bought, and in many languages serving as a distinctive feature of phonemes, as the a in German Bann in contrast with the ah in Bahn, or the t in Italian fato in contrast with the tt in fatto (opposed to long).
c.   having the sound of the English vowels in bat, bet, bit, hot, but, and put, historically descended from vowels that were short in duration.
17.   Prosody.
a.   (of a syllable in quantitative verse) lasting a relatively shorter time than a long syllable.
b.   unstressed.
18.   (of an alcoholic drink) small: a short drink.
19.   Chiefly British. (of whiskey) undiluted; straight.
20.   Ceramics. (of clay) not plastic enough to be modeled.
21.   Ropemaking. hard (def. 39).
–adverb
22.   abruptly or suddenly: to stop short.
23.   briefly; curtly.
24.   on the near side of an intended or particular point: The arrow landed short.
25.   Baseball.
a.   with the hands higher on the handle of the bat than usual: He held the bat short and flied out.
b.   in a fielding position closer to home plate than usual.
–noun
26.   something that is short.
27.   that which is deficient or lacking.
28.   the sum and substance of a matter; gist (usually prec. by the).
29.   shorts,
a.   trousers, knee-length or shorter.
b.   short pants worn by men as an undergarment.
c.   knee breeches, formerly worn by men.
d.   Finance. short-term bonds.
e.   Mining. crushed ore failing to pass through a given screen, thus being of a larger given size than a specific grade. Compare fine (def. 29a).
f.   remnants, discards, or refuse of various cutting and manufacturing processes.
30.   a size of garment for men who are shorter than average: He wears a 42 short.
31.   a garment, as a suit or overcoat, in such a size.
32.   Military. a shot that strikes or bursts short of the target.
33.   Electricity. short circuit.
34.   Prosody. a short sound or syllable.
35.   Baseball. shortstop (def. 1).
36.   Movies. short subject.
37.   Finance. short seller.
38.   a deficiency or the amount of a deficiency.
39.   Chiefly British. a small drink of straight whiskey; shot.
–verb (used with object)
40.   to cause a short circuit in.
41.   to cheat by giving less than is expected or deserved; shortchange.
–verb (used without object)
42.   to short-circuit.
—Idioms
43.   come or fall short,
a.   to fail to reach a particular standard.
b.   to prove insufficient; be lacking: Her funds fell short, and she had to wire home for help.
44.   cut short, to end abruptly; terminate: Her nap was cut short by a loud noise from outside.
45.   for short, by way of abbreviation: Her name is Patricia, and she's called Pat for short.
46.   in short,
a.   in summary.
b.   in few words; in brief: In short, this has been rather a disappointing day.
47.   make short work of. work (def. 52).
48.   run short, to be in insufficient supply: My patience is running short.
49.   sell short,
a.   Stock Exchange. to sell stocks or the like without having them in one's actual possession at the time of the sale.
b.   to disparage or underestimate: Don't sell Tom short; he's really an excellent engineer.
50.   short and sweet,
a.   pleasantly brief.
b.   pertinent: We're in a hurry, so make it short and sweet.
51.   short for, being a shorter form of; abbreviated to: “Phone” is short for “telephone.”
52.   short of,
a.   less than; inferior to.
b.   inadequately supplied with (money, food, etc.).
c.   without going to the length of; failing of; excluding: Short of murder, there is nothing he wouldn't have tried to get what he wanted.
[Origin: bef. 900; ME schort (adj.), OE sceort; c. OHG scurz short, ON skortr shortness, scarcity]

—Related forms
shortness, noun

—Synonyms 4. Short, brief are opposed to long, and indicate slight extent or duration. Short may imply duration but is also applied to physical distance and certain purely spatial relations: a short journey. Brief refers esp. to duration of time: brief intervals. 5. terse, succinct, laconic, condensed. 6. curt, sharp, testy. 7. poor, deficient, inadequate, wanting, lacking. 12. crumbly. 14. brachycephalic.
—Antonyms 3, 4. long.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

This post is NOT short  icon_twisted
Davidbld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: May 01, 2008, 07:32:03 PM »

Wait...Wai...Whaaa? Elaborate please...

and OO has been down for only a short time...in geologic years...if OO is back before the next Ice age... I will be happy!!!

I keed...I keed...(please dont hurt me, I'll go back to lurking, nothing to see here just a poor pathetic man sobing in the corner)

Dave

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 02, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »

In terms of the GT re-design, OO has been down a short time.  Tongue

Because I can,
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 02, 2008, 03:46:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 12:17:46 AM

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 02, 2008, 06:41:26 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 02, 2008, 12:17:46 AM

No wonder you're not getting the marquee texting back  icon_lol
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 02, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »

So, while OO is down, I get this a message from my boss.

My office is turning an ironic shade of green.  Our latest effort to this endeavor is that we doing away completely with Styrofoam and plastic in the kitchen and that's OK because I prefer to drink from my own mug anyway and now I will just go out and buy a bowl with handle.  (I wonder if we go to spoons or wooden stirrers as well).  But that's not anything special just a lead up to the end of the email mandate, which gives a long series of either common sense or useless tips on how to be more green and theoretically save money while doing so.  One such tip states:

Many families spend over $260 each year on paper towels and napkins. Switch to cloth napkins, sponges, and cloth towels or wipes.

I'm probably a lot more environmentally responsible than most and on top of my sensitivity I don't live to consume and on top of  my not living to be a consumer I'm a cheap bastard.  Heck, if they made recycling easier around here, then the one small back of garbag I go through a week would be almost completely eliminated.  The only two reasons I have a noticeable geo foot print thingie at all have been because I am a single home owner (even if my house is small by contemporary standards) and because I commute twenty miles to work.  (Sadly, living closer to my place of employment is not an option in my circumstance)   Now, as it turns out, I guess I have  have three big things make me a wasteful resource hog waiting for environmental slaughter.  The day you take paper towels and napkins from me there are gonna be problems.  Tieing my tidying to a cleaning product that needs to be cleaned is out of the question.  Figuring out laundry based on what I was wiping my face and the counter and the table with and keeping a huge rotation of the cloth napkins for just such a purpose ain't never ever ever gonna happen.  (And if I ever have children, I totally can't see me washing diapers either.  [shiver])

I consider myself a pacifist but it I have to start washing napkins and give up my rolls of paper towels then me and the environment are going to war.  You won't have known eco terror until you try to take my paper towels.  You might as well be asking me to wipe my ass with your face cloths...  Go ahead and wash that and put it back on your towel rack.

And oh how they all laugh at me for saying that bowls should be huge and have handles.  Oh they laugh.  They laugh now.  But sure enough, when I found a perfect quart sized bowl with a handle for my cereal and soup bowl, the ex used it all the time.  And then Remus used it all of the time.  When my coworkers see me walking from desk to desk in winter with the cereal bowl from hell complete with a handle and they see that I am carrying a piping how bowl of soup big enough to be the Meal unto himself and I am dancing around with my soup trough all care free and can hold my piping hot soup bowl inches from my mouth so I can siphon it down in matter of seconds they will know envy.  When they see me fit an entire crock pot's worth of chili into a single serving of fuel for future explosive gas complete with several cups of cheese, a large package for crackers, and a half cup of sour cream they will know fear.  They will kneel before the mighty cereal trough with handle.  It is more than a symbol of power.  It is power.

I just need to find the perfect soup bowl for work.  One that screams I am the father of Trent Steel's daughter and I'll totally kick your ass if you say anything bad about her bowl.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 02, 2008, 02:15:37 PM »

I don't buy napkins-  everytime I'm at a fast food place I just grab a bunch more than what I really need for my order and store what I don't use for future use.  I haven't actually bought napkins in years, I still have a massive package of good ones I keep in case I have company over.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 02, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »

I really need to become more environmentally conscious.  I am going to be replacing my furnace this spring with a new high efficiency furnace and a heat pump, I wish I could go geothermal but not sure I can afford the upfront cost, and am going to get a programmable thermostat so I can drop the temperature in the house while the wife and I are at work.  There is absolutely 0 recycling where I live, but I may just start keeping my recycling separate and trying to find somewhere I can take it to.  I would also like to start a compost pile.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 02, 2008, 02:33:16 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 02, 2008, 02:17:46 PM

I really need to become more environmentally conscious.  I am going to be replacing my furnace this spring with a new high efficiency furnace and a heat pump, I wish I could go geothermal but not sure I can afford the upfront cost, and am going to get a programmable thermostat so I can drop the temperature in the house while the wife and I are at work.  There is absolutely 0 recycling where I live, but I may just start keeping my recycling separate and trying to find somewhere I can take it to.  I would also like to start a compost pile.

That's the funny thing about programmable thermostats.  I bought a cheap one.  It cost thirty bucks, I installed it myself with a screwdriver, six pieces of tape and a pencil.  (And I am an electrical moron)  The thing saved me well over thirty bucks the first December it was in.  This is to say nothing of the crap that is my central air that would otherwise never turn off in summer if it weren't adjusted.  I don't have that sucker in to be eco friendly.  I have it because it saves me several hundred dollars a year.  When people talk about winter heating bills of $400, I get all eek .  My worst heating bill ever was $200 and that made me  crybaby .

Recycling for us simply inconvenient.  You have to know where to go and when to go, which means I have to study community papers to know when I am supposed to take time off work to move something I have to containerize and store myself at the city's convenience.

And now an interlude with Brittany Spears.

Gimme gimme
Gimme
Gimme
Gimme
Gimme gimme
Gimme
Gimme
Gimme

I think she's been cowriting with her old boy Justin.  How does it go?

Go heavy go
Go heavy go
Go heavy go
Go heavy go

They could do a cannon sort of duet type thing together.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:43:31 PM by LordMortis » Logged
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 02, 2008, 02:37:02 PM »

am going to get a programmable thermostat so I can drop the temperature in the house while the wife and I are at work
Got a programmable thermostat before the winter. It sucks. It takes forever to program the damn thing and it constantly loses its program. If I weren't so lazy I'd take it off and put the old one back on and just manually turn down the heat.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 02, 2008, 02:38:27 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 02, 2008, 02:33:16 PM

That's the funny thing about programmable thermostats.  I bought a cheap one.  It cost thirty bucks, I installed it myself with a screwdriver, six pieces of tape and a pencil.  (And I am an electrical moron)  The thing saved me well over thirty bucks the first December it was in.  This is to say nothing of the crap that is my central air that would otherwise never turn off in summer if it weren't adjusted.  I don't have that sucker in to be eco friendly.  I have it because it saves me several hundred dollars a year.  When people talk about winter heating bills of $400, I get all eek .  My worst heating bill ever was $200 and that made me  crybaby .

Recycling for us simply inconvenient.  You have to know where to go and when to go, which means I have to study community papers to know when I am supposed to take time off work to move something I have to containerize and store myself at the city's convenience.

Well trust me, the monetary savings are equally important, but seeing as I have to use heating oil, burning less of it means less money as well as better for the environment.

I went through almost $2100 in home heating oil for this past winter.  So I am looking at taking out a loan of some sort to front th $10k it is gonna cost to get a high efficiency oil furnace, heat pump and all new ductwork installed.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1015 on: May 02, 2008, 03:11:53 PM »

They laugh now.  But sure enough, when I found a perfect quart sized bowl with a handle for my cereal and soup bowl, the ex used it all the time.

I have a few of those.  I had a friend who fired them for me when I was in high school and I've kept it since.  It is the perfect bowl for everything you could want.  biggrin 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 02, 2008, 04:47:30 PM »

They just announced the same thing for my company...no more plastics or styrofoam...and the paper cups and bowls will be gone in a few months.  We're all "encouraged" to bring our own silverwear and glass bowls that we can wash out.

So while they are doing that,  efficient.I'm going to make my car 82% percent more efficient.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 02, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »

Quote from: Zero on May 02, 2008, 04:47:30 PM

They just announced the same thing for my company...no more plastics or styrofoam...and the paper cups and bowls will be gone in a few months.  We're all "encouraged" to bring our own silverwear and glass bowls that we can wash out.

there's always those Ziploc/Glad disposable tupperware containers that cost 4 bucks or so for 4 or 5 containers.  they're great-  if I don't feel like doing the dishes after using them I just toss them and buy more.

Because I can,
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 02, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »

You're all nuts.
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 02, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »

Quote from: Kyosho on May 02, 2008, 05:55:00 PM

You're all nuts.

Hence the reason we need OO back. To get all of our crazy away from your's.

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 02, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »

Quote from: Miltonite on May 02, 2008, 11:31:31 PM

You're all nuts.

I like all the crazies...I have this theory that we are all a little bit crazy anyways.  What is normal?  No one is really normal - everyone has something.  So....you can't have your crazy back  Tongue  They're all medicated happy here.
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 02, 2008, 11:44:03 PM »

Quote from: Zero on May 02, 2008, 11:36:00 PM

You're all nuts.

I like all the crazies...I have this theory that we are all a little bit crazy anyways.  What is normal?  No one is really normal - everyone has something.  So....you can't have your crazy back  Tongue  They're all medicated happy here.

Oh I know we are all crazy, that is a fact of life, But too many crazy people in one area is just a good time no matter how you slice it.  icon_wink

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 03, 2008, 12:32:39 AM »

Quote from: Miltonite on May 02, 2008, 11:44:03 PM

Quote from: Zero on May 02, 2008, 11:36:00 PM

You're all nuts.

Oh I know we are all crazy, that is a fact of life, But too many crazy people in one area is just a good time no matter how you slice it.  icon_wink

I find if you slice crazies lengthwise the fun red water comes out more evenly.

Because I can,
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 03, 2008, 04:02:11 AM »

I think we've all become better persons for the change. Me: I've become involved in literacy programs, recycling efforts and no longer miss that other place; whatever it was called.

October Overloads?

Ottobus Oforlorn?

Ominous Over'nout

Obvious Overlook

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 03, 2008, 04:24:33 AM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on May 03, 2008, 04:02:11 AM

I think we've all become better persons for the change. Me: I've become involved in literacy programs, recycling efforts and no longer miss that other place; whatever it was called.

October Overloads?

Ottobus Oforlorn?

Ominous Over'nout

Obvious Overlook

wait.. you've become socially conscious?

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 03, 2008, 06:17:31 PM »

I think we should have a party for tomorrow's one month anniversary.  I'll bring the cake.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 03, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »

the cake is a lie.

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 03, 2008, 11:28:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2008, 07:15:02 PM

the cake is a lie.
Actually, it is coconut and pineapple.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 04, 2008, 12:31:23 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on May 03, 2008, 11:28:24 PM

the cake is a lie.

LIES!

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 04, 2008, 02:15:56 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 04, 2008, 12:31:23 AM

Quote from: Arnir on May 03, 2008, 11:28:24 PM

the cake is a lie.

LIES!
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Lie does not mean damn tasty.

UsulofDoom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 04, 2008, 04:49:26 AM »

So while they are doing that,  efficient.I'm going to make my car 82% percent more efficient.

You can wash plastic spoons forks and knives in your dishwasher.been doing  it for years
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 04, 2008, 05:11:07 AM »

Quote from: UsulofDoom on May 04, 2008, 04:49:26 AM

You can wash plastic spoons forks and knives in your dishwasher.been doing  it for years

I'm going to ask if they can put an energy (and water) saving dishwasher...think of all the water being wasted!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 04, 2008, 05:11:46 AM »

Quote from: UsulofDoom on May 04, 2008, 04:49:26 AM

But why would you?
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 04, 2008, 05:18:16 PM »

Happy One Month Vacation to OO!

JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 04, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »

One month anniversary's are always the easiest to remember. But as time goes on, we won't give a...

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: May 04, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »

here's some cake with the one month candle!!!!

Spoiler for "NSFW":

Because I can,
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 04, 2008, 08:24:30 PM »

You son of a bitch! I knew I shouldn't have clicked it!  icon_cry

THE CAKE IS A LIE
Do not click!
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 04, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »

Rip,
I hope your life has calmed down a lot from your last post.
Any OO staff have a status update?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 05, 2008, 12:59:21 AM »

Quote from: Kyosho on May 04, 2008, 08:24:30 PM

You son of a bitch! I knew I shouldn't have clicked it!  icon_cry

yet you did.  makes you think, doesn't it?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 05, 2008, 12:44:34 PM »

Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Time to break out the Tequila and dice and play Go Mexico!  (Except I don't like Tequila.  Maybe they'll let me drink vanilla Stoli's instead.  Have you had a Mind Eraser with vanilla Stoli's?  It rocks.  But I digress...)

And in other news, speaker phones have been banned in the cube farm.  Use of speaker phones is now being limited exclusively to offices and conference rooms when the doors are closed.  To enforce this policy, I am being charged with reprogramming the phones to turn off speaker phone functionality.  I wonder if this is part of our plan to become more green.

Oh, and I'll pass on the cake.  I prefer pie or brownies.  I've never met brownie I didn't like.  About the only cake I do nowadays is pineapple upside down cake made with vanilla Stoli's.  Look at that I rolled snake eyes.  Go Mexico!  Yaaa dada da dada da dada Ya dada da dada da dada Yaa dada da dada da dada Ya dada da dada da dadun.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: