http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:36:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 215870 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: April 29, 2008, 05:57:23 PM »

Quote from: Gedd on April 29, 2008, 12:27:58 PM

If you're expecting magic fairies to come and serve you coffee and donuts while a friendly gnome types up your post as you dictate, you're going to be a might bit disappointed.

well frack... I guess I won't be going back then  crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 29, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 29, 2008, 05:59:31 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 29, 2008, 05:57:23 PM

Quote from: Gedd on April 29, 2008, 12:27:58 PM

If you're expecting magic fairies to come and serve you coffee and donuts while a friendly gnome types up your post as you dictate, you're going to be a might bit disappointed.

well frack... I guess I won't be going back then  crybaby

Magic fairies are in the GT redesign.

woohoo!

Because I can,
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 29, 2008, 06:30:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 29, 2008, 06:26:44 PM

woohoo!

but they're male fairies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 29, 2008, 06:34:17 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 29, 2008, 06:30:45 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 29, 2008, 06:26:44 PM

woohoo!

but they're male fairies.

That's bad.

Because I can,
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 29, 2008, 06:41:05 PM »

But they come with your choice of topping.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 29, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on April 29, 2008, 06:41:05 PM

Well, as long as you can handle a salty version of said toppings.  If you want them to come with peanuts or popcorn or chips or something you should be good.  I'm not so sure I want them coming with a stream of chocolate syrup or butterscotch or anything.
Remus West
« Reply #966 on: April 29, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 29, 2008, 06:49:57 PM

Well, as long as you can handle a salty version of said toppings.  If you want them to come with peanuts or popcorn or chips or something you should be good.  I'm not so sure I want them coming with a stream of chocolate syrup or butterscotch or anything.
puke

You are a sick sick man.  I begin to understand how CR lost the "disgusting comment" battle the two of you had. eek
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 29, 2008, 07:13:25 PM »

Yeah, now I don't mind that they're hairy, dude-fairies.   Roll Eyes
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 29, 2008, 07:48:37 PM »

And amazingly, it only took me three weeks to find them.

One site to rule them all
One site to find them them
One site to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

(though I do appreciate that my lecherous behavior toward another mans wife has preceded me)

Spawn of OO Collective
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 29, 2008, 08:27:20 PM »

Quote from: chaosraven on April 29, 2008, 07:48:37 PM

(though I do appreciate that my lecherous behavior toward another mans wife has preceded me)

icon_lol

I should find a couple of minutes and finish the story.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 29, 2008, 08:58:09 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 29, 2008, 06:54:08 PM

You are a sick sick man.  I begin to understand how CR lost the "disgusting comment" battle the two of you had. eek

Hey now.  That was all TKOMG.
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 29, 2008, 09:45:23 PM »

There you are

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: April 29, 2008, 11:55:18 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 29, 2008, 03:10:05 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on April 29, 2008, 12:45:46 PM

You realize the downtime isn't because of an upgrade, but rather because of the hardware failure and needing to rebuild the server and site, right?

I know this is a hobby, not a business, and I appreciate Rip's hard work. But the fact remains if one of my servers went down, I had no disaster recovery plan, and it took me a month to rebuild it, I'd be fired without a moment's hesitation. I hate to even say that because it sounds ungrateful for Rip's volunteering of hosting the site, but as a network admin I can't help but think it.

I feel the same way. IMO, this has gotten beyond the point of ridiculous. I have nothing personal against Rip at all, but others have already offered to host the site. It's quite obviously a low point in his priorities, which is fine, but I'd suggest letting someone else handle OO from now on. His comments along the lines of "it's just a forum, lighten up" I think are indicative of his thought processes on this issue.

A lot of people have expressed their concern about losing their favorite community, and well, I just don't understand what could take a month. I really don't. The community may have been effectively killed - if not, it's probably getting close to that. That said, GT is a great community in it's own right, and I'd be happy hanging out here.

I appreciate that he's hosting it for free, but personally, I'd rather pay than to see something like this happen again.

It has taken a month because it is a matter of restriping many gigabytes of data by hand on the side while working 12 hours a day on other fires that must be complete or my customers who actually do pay me would fire me. I have just made a .zip file of thee OO content and am currently placing it online for staff to access, and we can proceed upgrading forum software or whatever at anyones convenience. But if you are volunteering to become the patron saint of OO and carry the financial and technical responsibilities of keeping the data flowing just let me know where to send the keys. It is amazing how many people are now suggesting how much they are/have been willing to do, but when I posted a message in meta just looking for anyone who wanted to lend a admin hand at working server maint for OO I didn't get a single response.

It is however possible that OO could be up and running where it left off by morning. That is/was/will be a staff decision.Personally I long for the days of being able to enjoy OO without dragging the burden of making decisions about how much money/time I can afford to scrape from my demanding life/career without having to wonder if the enjoyment/love however large is enough to justify the questionable sacrifices I continue to make for it. I guess I should just be glad it hasn't caused me to expend legal resources defending some IP issues or anything from the site.

As I have already admitted I got caught with my pants down just backing up the server every month or so. Not that this is unusual for hosting companies. They just reimage the server back to square one and tell you to restore a backup, or load a backup for you "if you were paying for backup" Of course they usually keep all the account info in other places that are backed more frequently. The control panel I used actually provided every single account with a means of performing their own automated backups.Simply few did it. I was simply only hosting 40 domains or so using that system. All my larger hosting stuff have dedicated machines and the customer provides for their own backups etc. It would have been an easy and simple answer to reload backups. I am/was just determined to not lose any user content. I haven't and won't.

I am also taking my time to do the rebuild the right way. I will move to a more functional system and will acocunt for failover, backup, and even bit level snapshotting if desired. None of it will be free anymore other than pure static web pages without SQL or advanced functions. It will be done right, but only at a profit.

Anyone who has anything that was/is hosted with me that needs info from their site or would like to work with me on getting their content moved or back online contact me by e-mail rip at byteguru dot net.

I will try to remain available here as well for as long as I can keep the wheels turning tonight. Probably 3AM or so.

Rip
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 30, 2008, 12:06:44 AM »

Thanks for the update, Rip.
You are loved.
UsulofDoom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 30, 2008, 12:32:43 AM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on April 30, 2008, 12:06:44 AM

You are loved.

+1

Will you be doing a mass mailing that the server is up?  icon_biggrin
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: April 30, 2008, 01:00:36 AM »

Quote from: UsulofDoom on April 30, 2008, 12:32:43 AM

Quote from: Giles Habibula on April 30, 2008, 12:06:44 AM

You are loved.

+1

Will you be doing a mass mailing that the server is up?  icon_biggrin

I'd be willing to pay for access to the Hivemind of OO. If 100 of us pledged, let's say 3 bucks a month, that's like, a non-trivial amount per year.

And I  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you. Rip.

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Remus West
« Reply #976 on: April 30, 2008, 01:37:29 AM »

They have a stickied donations thread here, why can't we do the same at OO.  If you do not want it to be pervasive just stick it in Meta but announce that it is there or I will never give through pure ignorance, lazy-never-check-the-meta-forum ignorance.  I have no idea what sort of cost we are talking but I am sure we can reduce it if not eliminate it.  More of us than just Rip enjoy and value OO.  Give us a chance to put our money where our mouths are.  I have no technical skills or I would volunteer those. I do not know what sort of time/tech expertise it requires to be on staff but if you just need folks that are willing to be a trained monkey then I am your man.  Let it be said one (last? icon_biggrin) time......I miss OO. crybaby
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 30, 2008, 01:44:11 AM »

Out of curiosity, just how much would it cost to host a site like OO?  If one had to pay a 3rd party, I mean.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 30, 2008, 02:38:23 AM »

We really do appreciate everything you do, Rip.  I only wish you felt that from us all the time, but best of luck and I hope to see you soon ... on OO  slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 30, 2008, 02:42:08 AM »

One site to rule them all
One site to find them them
One site to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

aww crap, lock up your daughters and sons  icon_lol

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 30, 2008, 02:46:22 AM »

chaos?

great...property values just fell through the floor.  there goes my plan for a summer home at GT.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #981 on: April 30, 2008, 02:56:28 AM »

It's been off the tubes long enough now that a few more days, or even another week, won't make very much difference. Those who are coming back will come back, and those who will drift away are already gone. I vote for taking the time to put a fresh coat of paint on it, lay some new carpeting -- whatever's a fun and easy way of tarting the old girl up for one more trip into town.  Fabulous

I know you were just waiting for my advice. You may now proceed.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #982 on: April 30, 2008, 08:39:53 AM »

Before I took on OO we looked at a server at ev1 and it was going to be $100/mnth. That didn't include any disaster planning, backup, or anything else. Just a basic celeron linux system with like 80gb of space and something like 250-300GB of traffic a month.

Anyway got several static sites up. Got staff members access to a copy of the html directory when we went down (1.19GB). Anyone wanting in fromnt of the line putting up sites be sure to PM/e-mail me. Everyone please pass along. I still don't have a press secretary:(

I'm done for tonight. Time for a 3-4 hour nap.

Rip

BTW as an example of my days lately. Yesterday afternoon while riding my Ninja 500 you will rember I got a while back (15k on it so far) had just changed the oil 300 miles ago last week. Sudden loss of torque...out of gas? A little easrly... pull the clutch..noise...look down to find oil all over the back tire. Get off look underneath. Oil plug gone. Thank god dealer has done all maint. They check it out. Got some damage. SO I am working on trading it for a KZ-10R. After looking at new bike this afternoon on way home with wife and son....rear ended..and so on. Just a snippet of typical days for me the last couple months.

If what doesn't kill me makes me stronger I am one strong mofo!

ninja2
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 30, 2008, 12:40:57 PM »

Well, Rip, I'd love to say I appreciate what you do, but I have no idea what you do.  I do thank you very muchly for it, though.  I appreciate OO.  And I appreciate what you noticably don't do (seriously).

Get Well soon.

Quote from: Ironrod on April 30, 2008, 02:56:28 AM

It's been off the tubes long enough now that a few more days, or even another week, won't make very much difference. Those who are coming back will come back, and those who will drift away are already gone. I vote for taking the time to put a fresh coat of paint on it, lay some new carpeting -- whatever's a fun and easy way of tarting the old girl up for one more trip into town.  Fabulous

I know you were just waiting for my advice. You may now proceed.

Concurred
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 30, 2008, 04:13:08 PM »

I had a thought for an OO-thon..

1) Get pledges from OO guys to have me stay at GT.
2) Get pledges from GT guys to have me stay at OO
3) ?????
4) Profit! (as CR remains on Popehat)

Spawn of OO Collective
Remus West
« Reply #985 on: April 30, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »

Quote from: chaosraven on April 30, 2008, 04:13:08 PM

I had a thought for an OO-thon..

1) Get pledges from OO guys to have me stay at GT.
2) Get pledges from GT guys to have me stay at OO
3) ?????
4) Profit! (as CR remains on Popehat)

I'd pay but I would still see you in RL so I would really see no benefit. icon_neutral
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 30, 2008, 04:31:26 PM »

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

That only works when you actually call me when you say you will.

Jerk.

Spawn of OO Collective
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 30, 2008, 04:32:14 PM »

I am working on trading it for a KZ-10R.

ZX 10R?

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 30, 2008, 04:40:32 PM »

Thanks for the update, Rip, makes a little more sense to me now.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 30, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »

Quote from: Rip on April 29, 2008, 11:55:18 PM

It is amazing how many people are now suggesting how much they are/have been willing to do, but when I posted a message in meta just looking for anyone who wanted to lend a admin hand at working server maint for OO I didn't get a single response.

To be fair, Rip, I doubt any of us really thought we could be of any help to you - you're obviously an expert in your field and you run everything out of that big ole datacentre.  What has happened to your servers lately was probably beyond anyone's imagination.  I could've put in my offer of hosting backups earlier, sure, but I honestly didn't think there was a need for it.  Simple as that.

I remember that post in meta, and as I recall you were looking for someone fairly skilled.  I dunno how many OOers could have fit the bill, but I sure as hell couldn't even though Linux is my OS of choice.  I wanted to step up but I knew I'd be wasting your time.  I suspect there were quite a few others in the same boat, who also kept quiet for the same reasons.

Erm...believe it or not, this post was made with the intention of making you somehow feel better. slywink

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Remus West
« Reply #990 on: April 30, 2008, 04:47:02 PM »

Quote from: chaosraven on April 30, 2008, 04:31:26 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

That only works when you actually call me when you say you will.

Jerk.

Speaking of which, I am taking Friday off work to go to the dentist.  The late start of the Wings game Thurday night had nothing to do with it.  Really.  Anyway, I am planning on coming out your way to watch the game.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 30, 2008, 05:47:26 PM »

Hi, Rip.  Good luck with the rest of the reconstruction.  Here's hoping that you've used up all your bad luck and that you and your family will have a smooth summer ahead.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 30, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »

Thanks for the update, Rip. We appreciate what you're doing. And hope that everything works out with the bike.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 30, 2008, 09:02:10 PM »

Rip,
You might want to consider excorcism.  I think that your problems might be supernaturally based at this point!  icon_eek

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 30, 2008, 09:02:10 PM

Rip,
You might want to consider excorcism.  I think that your problems might be supernaturally based at this point!  icon_eek

We need a young IT admin, and an old IT admin.  ninja

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 01, 2008, 12:31:58 AM »

Quote from: SpaceLord on April 30, 2008, 10:00:10 PM

Quote from: Arnir on April 30, 2008, 09:02:10 PM

Rip,

We need a young IT admin, and an old IT admin.  ninja

I noticed you didn't say virgin.  Is that because it's a foregone conclusion?  icon_twisted

Because I can,
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 01, 2008, 12:37:52 AM »

You get what you deserve you son of a bitch! (Translation: Your fault for riding a kawi.. Go buy an R1 smile ).

As I have said already:

1. I am willing to help out admin where possible; I never saw the meta post (Can't say I read that forum much, it's usually a clique bitching about someone who isn't playing by their rules; or a douchebag who's posting goatse stuff.

2. You need donations to help pay for a simple backup solution, or let me cron a monthly pull.  I appreciate you have paying customers to take care of, but let's not let this happen again.. I miss OO; and it's going to take a LOT for the community to recover where it was pre-crash (if ever). I miss lurking and being shunned by the clique-ees; now I just talk to regular people and go outside.. It's bullshit.
Remus West
« Reply #997 on: May 01, 2008, 01:24:34 AM »

Quote from: FishPants on May 01, 2008, 12:37:52 AM

You get what you deserve you son of a bitch! (Translation: Your fault for riding a kawi.. Go buy an R1 smile ).

As I have said already:

1. I am willing to help out admin where possible; I never saw the meta post (Can't say I read that forum much, it's usually a clique bitching about someone who isn't playing by their rules; or a douchebag who's posting goatse stuff.

2. You need donations to help pay for a simple backup solution, or let me cron a monthly pull.  I appreciate you have paying customers to take care of, but let's not let this happen again.. I miss OO; and it's going to take a LOT for the community to recover where it was pre-crash (if ever). I miss lurking and being shunned by the clique-ees; now I just talk to regular people and go outside.. It's bullshit.
I'll ignore you when we get home.  I promise.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #998 on: May 01, 2008, 01:41:14 AM »

I just wanted to be post 1000 in this thread.

Carry on.

Edit: HEY!  mad
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 02:45:51 AM by Laner » Logged
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 01, 2008, 02:41:07 AM »

Quote from: Laner on May 01, 2008, 01:41:14 AM

I just wanted to be post 1000 in this thread.

Carry on.

This is da best post Truthiness!

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: