http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 12:50:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 218478 times)
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: April 18, 2008, 10:50:06 AM »

All right I am going to post this before I read what I haven't caught of the thread. I'm fearful that the bitching might bring my mood down. Anyway here is a piece of what I wrote in a PM to SirReal after responding to gracious offers of assistance/resources etc in helping me deal with my current server failure crisis.

Thankfully I just cleared the final hurdle and am about to sprint for the finish. I just hope I still have enough gas. I had almost given up hope in trying to figure out the array striping but just when I was about to slink off to bed for my nightly three hour nap I hit the lottery. My nephew snarl and I just looked on dumbfounded for a few seconds when we saw the directory listing flash onto the screen. I think we were afraid to get our hopes up. But I have browsed the directory structure a little and I think we see light at the end of the tunnel.

I can say almost without a doubt that I have managed to reconstruct the two raid5 arrays that had failed. I won't post much else as I am rather tired, and I want to read the thread before I take a bath and head of to a busy Friday of working on other peoples crisis. If I have the energy I hope to restore the data to a VM and bring it online. All hosting accounts other than OO will resume operation. I will talk to staff about whether OO should come back fully right away or leave it read-only and proceed with the planned migration to a private VM of it's own. That could involve an upgrade to the forum software as well. My new fiber connection is supposed to be installed Monday, so I am looking forward to having a good week for a change.

edit: and then I forgot to press the post button before I went and read the thread. Well at least I had the right idea. Anyway here it is out of order..... icon_rolleyes
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 18, 2008, 11:19:39 AM »

Good luck and thanks, Rip.  I think for a lot of people it was surprising just how fragile the internet can be - at least it was for me.  Don't think that many of us don't appreciate your efforts, but keep in mind that it is hard to do so if there is little communication about what is happening.  Get some rest.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: April 18, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 18, 2008, 11:19:39 AM

Good luck and thanks, Rip.  I think for a lot of people it was surprising just how fragile the internet can be - at least it was for me.  Don't think that many of us don't appreciate your efforts, but keep in mind that it is hard to do so if there is little communication about what is happening.  Get some rest.

True and I appreciate that. I am just tired and relieved. Probably a little grumpy. Haven't had anything good to pass along in a few days and too tired to formulate any effectual communication. No time for rest yet, have a day full of hectic work ahead. Maybe tonight.
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 18, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 18, 2008, 01:37:07 AM

But more importantly are you going to Rothsbury?  I'm really thinking about it.  I'd give me 95+% chance of not going but that 5%, oh that magnificent 5% could be totally gnarly poo pooh.

http://www.rothburyfestival.com/festival/artists.php

I thought about going...it's a really good lineup.  But then I thought about all those people that will be there.  I'm not really a festival guy.  Plus I'm on-call for 3 out of the 4 weeks in July since two of my co-workers take vacations over The July Fourth Weekend.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 18, 2008, 11:57:08 AM »

Quote from: Rip on April 18, 2008, 10:50:06 AM

All right I am going to post this before I read what I haven't caught of the thread. I'm fearful that the bitching might bring my mood down. Anyway here is a piece of what I wrote in a PM to SirReal after responding to gracious offers of assistance/resources etc in helping me deal with my current server failure crisis.

Thankfully I just cleared the final hurdle and am about to sprint for the finish. I just hope I still have enough gas. I had almost given up hope in trying to figure out the array striping but just when I was about to slink off to bed for my nightly three hour nap I hit the lottery. My nephew snarl and I just looked on dumbfounded for a few seconds when we saw the directory listing flash onto the screen. I think we were afraid to get our hopes up. But I have browsed the directory structure a little and I think we see light at the end of the tunnel.

I can say almost without a doubt that I have managed to reconstruct the two raid5 arrays that had failed. I won't post much else as I am rather tired, and I want to read the thread before I take a bath and head of to a busy Friday of working on other peoples crisis. If I have the energy I hope to restore the data to a VM and bring it online. All hosting accounts other than OO will resume operation. I will talk to staff about whether OO should come back fully right away or leave it read-only and proceed with the planned migration to a private VM of it's own. That could involve an upgrade to the forum software as well. My new fiber connection is supposed to be installed Monday, so I am looking forward to having a good week for a change.

edit: and then I forgot to press the post button before I went and read the thread. Well at least I had the right idea. Anyway here it is out of order..... icon_rolleyes

Thank you for what you are doing Rip.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 18, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »

Thanks for the update Rip.  Any chance you can get a simple page up on OO letting folks know what happened?  Gedd has a page ready I think.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 18, 2008, 12:32:03 PM »

Thank you, Easter Bunny!...  Um Rip!  Bawk Bawk!!!

Have you tried moving Californee?  I hear they gots all the Internet you can use out Californee.

Quote from: Z-Corn on April 18, 2008, 11:50:40 AM

I thought about going...it's a really good lineup.  But then I thought about all those people that will be there.  I'm not really a festival guy.  Plus I'm on-call for 3 out of the 4 weeks in July since two of my co-workers take vacations over The July Fourth Weekend.

Yeah.  Me neither either.  And yet I still want to go and am still thinking about going.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 18, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »

Quote from: Rip on April 18, 2008, 11:43:24 AM

True and I appreciate that. I am just tired and relieved. Probably a little grumpy. Haven't had anything good to pass along in a few days and too tired to formulate any effectual communication. No time for rest yet, have a day full of hectic work ahead. Maybe tonight.

Rip i have piles of space if you want a place to FTP your OO backup to...how much space do you need?

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 18, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »

Rip, a lot of folks are very grateful to you for voluntarily hosting OO over the years.  You should never feel unappreciated.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 18, 2008, 01:41:27 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on April 18, 2008, 12:50:17 PM

Rip, a lot of folks are very grateful to you for voluntarily hosting OO over the years.  You should never feel unappreciated.

+1 billion
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 18, 2008, 02:03:40 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 18, 2008, 01:41:27 PM

+1 billion

We love ya, ya big f*cktard!

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 18, 2008, 02:15:28 PM »

Thanks for the update, Rip, as well as the PM.  Whether we show it around here or not, we're all very appreciative of all you do and have done for OO.  And as another IT person who has been through the joys of all-nighters more than once, I know how frustrating it can be to have to bang your head against the wall working to resolve issues once your brain has passed the point of no return. 

Quote from: Rip on April 18, 2008, 10:35:03 AM

I think this is where the misunderstanding comes from. All the hosting I have revenues combined with absolutely nothing removed for costs could not buy my family one dinner at Ruth''s Chris. I have this stuff in a multi-million dollar data center because of the work I do for my clients that pay me that many times over a day. If it were about customers and business I would have thrown all my servers out the door years ago. I do the hosting for fun, and I want to do it better and not have an event like this recur. It will never be something I will be able to consider a very profitable endeavor.

This is something that should have been plainly communicated all over NavigatorHosting.com long before this outage.  Had I known just how low a priority it was, I wouldn't be hosting anything important there.  That's not a knock against you, Rip, just plain truth. 

So I had to take care of the big stuff first. I have been working on recovering the data for the server though with every waking moment I can spare. I doubt I will recall very much of my daughters birthday last weekend because I was beat from trying to recover the data from my server. Because I was unwilling to accept going back to a backup a few months old. I knew there was no damage to the drives and I knew reconstructing them was possible. Sometimes it is like people forget it is just a damn forum, go out and get some fresh air already. I used to work for a telcom carrier and we had peoples phones down for three weeks. Thousands of them. Think anyone went without sleep to get them back on? Fat chance.

Not meant for you but just venting at the massive appreciation for my labors. Geez.

Again, we do appreciate your labors.  But the problem here, at least for me, wasn't even necessarily with the outage itself.  Shit happens.  Obviously an outage of this duration is a Big Deal no matter how unimportant the sites being hosted, but the Dude abides.  The near total lack of communication is the kicker from my perspective.  Whether Navigator is your bread-and-butter or in the red every day of the year, it's a business that reflects on you, and on those of us who have placed in your hands the Internet presence of others who trust us.  Frankly, the absolute lack of any communication on this outage to paying customers is totally unacceptable.  It boggles my mind that you're even attempting to explain it away.  smile 

But enough venting--IT-person-with-sites-hosted-on-Navigator mode off, OO participant mode back on.  Your efforts at restoring the data so a year's worth of OO history wasn't lost are most certainly appreciated, as is the continued server space and bandwitdh availability. 
Remus West
« Reply #772 on: April 18, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »

I still miss OO.  Keep working on it Rip.  We will rise again. icon_biggrin
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 18, 2008, 02:19:00 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on April 18, 2008, 02:03:40 PM

Quote from: Jag on April 18, 2008, 01:41:27 PM

+1 billion

We love ya, ya big f*cktard!

Most of us anyway slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 18, 2008, 02:20:02 PM »

we <3 Rip!

(but not in a gay way.)

(OK, maybe PR want's the man secks but not the rest of us.)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 18, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »

Quote from: Rip on April 18, 2008, 10:04:00 AM

Quote from: FishPants on April 15, 2008, 01:04:35 PM

Rip if you need a BIND server or something let me know and I can throw one up on my vps.  At least get a page online with the latest status? Or if you aren't going to host OO anymore, I'm willing to donate server/bandwidth space to do so.. but would need to get a hold of the phpbb files.

Or I could go outside and do a clown dance?

I still plan on hosting. As well as snapshoting to a SAN this time....every hour. I would really like to have somewhere to do a weekly or monthly offsite to though?

Say the word man, I can either cron an SFTP pull or set up VSFTPd w/ an account for you on my VPS.  That way you can shove on there whenever you need.
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 18, 2008, 02:49:28 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 18, 2008, 12:32:03 PM

Thank you, Easter Bunny!...  Um Rip!  Bawk Bawk!!!

Have you tried moving Californee?  I hear they gots all the Internet you can use out Californee.

icon_eek
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 18, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on April 18, 2008, 02:26:47 PM

Quote from: Rip on April 18, 2008, 10:04:00 AM

Quote from: FishPants on April 15, 2008, 01:04:35 PM

Rip if you need a BIND server or something let me know and I can throw one up on my vps.  At least get a page online with the latest status? Or if you aren't going to host OO anymore, I'm willing to donate server/bandwidth space to do so.. but would need to get a hold of the phpbb files.

Or I could go outside and do a clown dance?

I still plan on hosting. As well as snapshoting to a SAN this time....every hour. I would really like to have somewhere to do a weekly or monthly offsite to though?

Say the word man, I can either cron an SFTP pull or set up VSFTPd w/ an account for you on my VPS.  That way you can shove on there whenever you need.

OTOH can you get down with OCP or does OCD prevent that from happening ASAP?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 18, 2008, 04:13:57 PM »

icon_smile

To Rip: I can only speak for myself (but I'd be surprised if hundreds of other people didn't share the sentiment), but I have always appreciated the service provided and the opportunity to post my banal ideas/opinions on Octopus Overlords. My thanks to you and everyone who's made that possible.

Best wishes,

JonathanStrange  ninja

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 18, 2008, 05:33:10 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 18, 2008, 12:08:44 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 18, 2008, 12:00:55 AM

the fact that you weren't giving Grund and Austin grooming tips when they so obviously need them screams 'This was written by a HACK!'.

Poignant observation.  Moliere will be the first to admit that during our many Friday night pool marathons there rarely goes by a moment I'm not critiquing someone's attire or appearance.  Black sport coat with brown shoes?  A wrinkled shirt you obviously picked up off of your bedroom floor?  Sandals with socks?  

To think that being around such fashion miscreants wouldn't earn even a scoff from me is ludicrous.    

Which gives me an interesting choice: distract PeteRock from his pool game by dressing with some faux pas or stress about the wardrobe and making sure the scoffs are not directed towards me. This being Friday I debated my options and decided to remove the "open after Memorial Day" warning sticker and go with the linen pants.  icon_twisted

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 18, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »

Quote from: Moliere on April 18, 2008, 05:33:10 PM

the fact that you weren't giving Grund and Austin grooming tips when they so obviously need them screams 'This was written by a HACK!'.

Poignant observation.  Moliere will be the first to admit that during our many Friday night pool marathons there rarely goes by a moment I'm not critiquing someone's attire or appearance.  Black sport coat with brown shoes?  A wrinkled shirt you obviously picked up off of your bedroom floor?  Sandals with socks

To think that being around such fashion miscreants wouldn't earn even a scoff from me is ludicrous.   

Which gives me an interesting choice: distract PeteRock from his pool game by dressing with some faux pas or stress about the wardrobe and making sure the scoffs are not directed towards me. This being Friday I debated my options and decided to remove the "open after Memorial Day" warning sticker and go with the linen pants.  icon_twisted

I think Pete would have a heart attack if he ever saw me in person.  My style, or lack there of is pretty bad.  My boss ridicules me quite a bit about my wardrobe.  I tell him that as long as I am not breaking the dress code he can't complain about my white crew socks, brown dress tennis shoes, black pants, brown belt and blue plaid shirt that has wrinkles.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on April 18, 2008, 04:13:57 PM

icon_smile

To Rip: I can only speak for myself (but I'd be surprised if hundreds of other people didn't share the sentiment), but I have always appreciated the service provided and the opportunity to post my banal ideas/opinions on Octopus Overlords. My thanks to you and everyone who's made that possible.

Best wishes,

JonathanStrange  ninja

Pretty much speaks for me too.  I've been critical of some of the communication during this period but I hope it doesn't shadow my appreciation for what you do Rip.
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 18, 2008, 06:05:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 18, 2008, 02:58:31 PM

OTOH can you get down with OCP or does OCD prevent that from happening ASAP?

Notwithstanding the SMB share on the NFS mount; the OCD may result in a NTB solution. Down with the OPP, ya you know me.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 18, 2008, 06:19:53 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 18, 2008, 05:36:25 PM

Poignant observation.  Moliere will be the first to admit that during our many Friday night pool marathons there rarely goes by a moment I'm not critiquing someone's attire or appearance.  Black sport coat with brown shoes?  A wrinkled shirt you obviously picked up off of your bedroom floor?  Sandals with socks

I think Pete would have a heart attack if he ever saw me in person.  My style, or lack there of is pretty bad.  My boss ridicules me quite a bit about my wardrobe.  I tell him that as long as I am not breaking the dress code he can't complain about my white crew socks, brown dress tennis shoes, black pants, brown belt and blue plaid shirt that has wrinkles.

pete WANTS you to see him as the male version of Yves Saint Laurent, but i've heard reports to the contrary.  you can trust me on this because I just made it up:  pete likes to wear knee high argyle socks with women's Kulats with the words "Man Version" stitched into each rear pocket in bright pink.  he also favors a jaunty little beret that he found in a dumpster back in 1998. 

his 2006 attempt at single handedly pioneering a new hair style that most stylists referred to as a "reverse mullet' failed when the slogan he was using ("business in the back, party in the front!") was co opted as the slogan for the national Gay Pride 2006 Parades.

these days pete spends most of his days trying to get his neighbors to stop bringing their kids to his front door, pointing at him when he answers the bell, and then yelling out "You see what can happen!?"....

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
newcastle

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 18, 2008, 06:25:38 PM »

RIP - thanks for all you have done over the years for OO. I am not a tech guru or knowledgeable, all that techno babble goes right over my head...however it sounds like things are looking up.Also thanks to GT for having us refugees here. Sniff, brings a tear to my eye.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 18, 2008, 06:39:05 PM »

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 18, 2008, 07:11:46 PM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 18, 2008, 05:00:16 AM

It doesn't have to be an either/or choice, but some folks only use one community or the other for whatever reasons.  If members didn't feel a difference then one board would fit all and we wouldn't have different communities.  I can't honestly say why I ended up at OO, but I imagine it was because I'm a PC gamer.  But for some folks, the differences are important.  Of course, no one is forced to go anywhere they don't want to go.

Exactly. After GG, the community splintered off onto different sites. I know I registered here first, under a different nickname of course). I never felt like the community was really for me as I felt something was lacking, and that's not due to the people in charge, I assure you. It's just that the focus of the forums were more towards console, considering it was Console Gold before it changed to GamingTrend, and not having a console, well, you can see how it would be awkward. When I first discovered OO, I realized what was missing. It was the crowd that I posted with the most and it's where most of my favourite posters ended up at, so in the end, that's where I ended up.

That said, I appreciate what's been done to help make us comfortable here, and I'm sure it won't be forgotten. Even when OO goes back up, I'll keep checking this place out even if I don't post much.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 18, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 18, 2008, 05:36:25 PM

<<faints>>

At least not having to dodge errant darts will certainly help.

I think the odds are in your favor that a fair number of fashion disasters will inevitably find their way to Skip and Jan's.  And the odds are even better that they'll be at the tables immediately adjacent to us.  But if Turkey Neck shows up I'm killing everyone.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Fellstrike
Gaming Trend Reader

Pimp Walking Amongst Mere Hoes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #788 on: April 18, 2008, 07:20:18 PM »

Rip, invite me to one of those damn lan parties you hold!
Even though Lisa probably hates me lol =D

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 18, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »

Longest short time... ever...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #790 on: April 18, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »

Quote from: Austin on April 18, 2008, 12:23:34 PM

Thanks for the update Rip.  Any chance you can get a simple page up on OO letting folks know what happened?  Gedd has a page ready I think.

I can point the domain if someone can catch it and display the page. Or someone can e-mail it to me and I'll put it up where the navigatorhosting.com is pointing now and point OO there as well. Right now just the default apache page is there. Just got home from another long day and still have a suprising amount of juice left so will be working on getting this data exported to a non-raid drive image and see how the VM conversion goes.
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #791 on: April 19, 2008, 12:00:14 AM »

Quote from: QP on April 18, 2008, 12:47:37 PM

Rip i have piles of space if you want a place to FTP your OO backup to...how much space do you need?

Last time we tar balled it I think it was about 500MB.

Drat it, just got an e-mail from Cox postponing my fiber install until 5/12/08....sasafrasn...^%$#@(*!@^%#(!
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #792 on: April 19, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on April 18, 2008, 02:15:28 PM

Thanks for the update, Rip, as well as the PM.  Whether we show it around here or not, we're all very appreciative of all you do and have done for OO.  And as another IT person who has been through the joys of all-nighters more than once, I know how frustrating it can be to have to bang your head against the wall working to resolve issues once your brain has passed the point of no return. 

Quote from: Rip on April 18, 2008, 10:35:03 AM

I think this is where the misunderstanding comes from. All the hosting I have revenues combined with absolutely nothing removed for costs could not buy my family one dinner at Ruth''s Chris. I have this stuff in a multi-million dollar data center because of the work I do for my clients that pay me that many times over a day. If it were about customers and business I would have thrown all my servers out the door years ago. I do the hosting for fun, and I want to do it better and not have an event like this recur. It will never be something I will be able to consider a very profitable endeavor.

This is something that should have been plainly communicated all over NavigatorHosting.com long before this outage.  Had I known just how low a priority it was, I wouldn't be hosting anything important there.  That's not a knock against you, Rip, just plain truth. 

So I had to take care of the big stuff first. I have been working on recovering the data for the server though with every waking moment I can spare. I doubt I will recall very much of my daughters birthday last weekend because I was beat from trying to recover the data from my server. Because I was unwilling to accept going back to a backup a few months old. I knew there was no damage to the drives and I knew reconstructing them was possible. Sometimes it is like people forget it is just a damn forum, go out and get some fresh air already. I used to work for a telcom carrier and we had peoples phones down for three weeks. Thousands of them. Think anyone went without sleep to get them back on? Fat chance.

Not meant for you but just venting at the massive appreciation for my labors. Geez.

Again, we do appreciate your labors.  But the problem here, at least for me, wasn't even necessarily with the outage itself.  Shit happens.  Obviously an outage of this duration is a Big Deal no matter how unimportant the sites being hosted, but the Dude abides.  The near total lack of communication is the kicker from my perspective.  Whether Navigator is your bread-and-butter or in the red every day of the year, it's a business that reflects on you, and on those of us who have placed in your hands the Internet presence of others who trust us.  Frankly, the absolute lack of any communication on this outage to paying customers is totally unacceptable.  It boggles my mind that you're even attempting to explain it away.  smile 

But enough venting--IT-person-with-sites-hosted-on-Navigator mode off, OO participant mode back on.  Your efforts at restoring the data so a year's worth of OO history wasn't lost are most certainly appreciated, as is the continued server space and bandwitdh availability. 

Admittedly I didn't have a good list of contacts or anyone to lead up PR on such an event. Hard to dedicate resources to a very unprofitable business segment. I should have just closed the hosting down long ago, the margins are the suck no matter how good you are at it. Shame because from a technical perspective I find it fascinating.
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 19, 2008, 12:05:37 AM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 18, 2008, 12:32:03 PM

Quote from: Z-Corn on April 18, 2008, 11:50:40 AM

Yeah.  Me neither either.  And yet I still want to go and am still thinking about going.

I'm about exactly (per Google Maps) 66.4 miles away from the site but I've got a floor or a hide-a-bed you can crash on if you do decide to attend...
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 19, 2008, 12:07:19 AM »

Quote from: Rip on April 19, 2008, 12:00:14 AM

Is that all?  Well, if for whatever reason QP's hosting falls through, I will gladly host it for a while.  I currently have just over 2GB of storage with no transfer limits that I'm not using.  As long as I don't need the space, it's yours.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #795 on: April 19, 2008, 12:09:36 AM »

Quote from: Fellstrike on April 18, 2008, 07:20:18 PM

Rip, invite me to one of those damn lan parties you hold!
Even though Lisa probably hates me lol =D

Lisa hates everyone. It is one of her charms!

I need to have one at the datacenter this summer so everyone can watch us on the security cameras nod
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: April 19, 2008, 12:11:52 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 19, 2008, 12:07:19 AM

Quote from: Rip on April 19, 2008, 12:00:14 AM

Is that all?  Well, if for whatever reason QP's hosting falls through, I will gladly host it for a while.  I currently have just over 2GB of storage with no transfer limits that I'm not using.  As long as I don't need the space, it's yours.

Sounds like next time we go down we will have a big fight over who's backup gets used. dude
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 19, 2008, 12:15:48 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 18, 2008, 06:39:05 PM

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
+1 to the end of the zeroes above.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 19, 2008, 12:17:06 AM »

Quote from: Rip on April 19, 2008, 12:11:52 AM

Sounds like next time we go down we will have a big fight over who's backup gets used. dude

Heh.  Well, it wouldn't hurt to use more than one.  Geo-redundancy and all that.  My storage is courtesy of arse ink dot net so I can configure a proper sub account with full file permission controls etc.  I only use it to store a photo album and some docs, and the smallest plan is more than I need for that.  I can't say I won't need the space any time in the future, but until I do it may as well be put to good use.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
Fellstrike
Gaming Trend Reader

Pimp Walking Amongst Mere Hoes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #799 on: April 19, 2008, 01:07:26 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on April 18, 2008, 06:39:05 PM

I'm assuming this number is binary.

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: