http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 02:28:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 90   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 226093 times)
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 17, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »

I had a nightmare last night. I dreamed that OO came back up and no one believed me.  Therefore I had to create a bunch of alts to amuse and talk to myself.  It was horrible, I never realized how much I disagree with myself before.

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 17, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »

Quote from: Miltonite on April 17, 2008, 02:09:28 PM

I had a nightmare last night. I dreamed that OO came back up and no one believed me.  Therefore I had to create a bunch of alts to amuse and talk to myself.  It was horrible, I never realized how much I disagree with myself before.

I don't believe you.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Remus West
« Reply #682 on: April 17, 2008, 02:13:26 PM »

I agree with me on this one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 17, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »

Quote from: Gedd on April 17, 2008, 11:04:25 AM

(and some admin actions to boot).

just remember we banned Austin.

Because I can,
Remus West
« Reply #684 on: April 17, 2008, 02:14:56 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 17, 2008, 02:13:26 PM

No I don't.  Jerk.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 17, 2008, 02:16:25 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on April 17, 2008, 02:14:56 PM

No I don't.  Jerk.

we don't have time to discuss this in front of committee!

Because I can,
Geezer

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 17, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 17, 2008, 12:12:48 PM

Y'know, when Rip comes back and tells us that his server crashed, his house burned down, he lost his dog, his truck broke down, and his girl left him, we're all going to feel really bad about this. 

Yeah, but the millions he'll make from the country tune will help lots.
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 17, 2008, 02:19:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 17, 2008, 02:16:25 PM

No I don't.  Jerk.

I better stop personally attacking myself or I am gonna have to bannate me!

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
Remus West
« Reply #688 on: April 17, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »

Quote from: Miltonite on April 17, 2008, 02:19:26 PM

No I don't.  Jerk.

Hey.  You were not given the floor.  Wait your turn to speak.  You must be acknowledge by the Chair.  It rabblerousing like this that will make a mess of the new world order.  I hope that when the overlords cough Rip back up and put him back to work on my behalf that this type of thing is not permitted to go on.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 17, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »

I remembered my password of old, so I just wanted to drop by to give thanx to KD and company for some great hospitality and to say this's some mighty fine forum you got goin' here.  You are the best extended virtual family that anyone could hope to have.  We never call.  We never write.  And yet your doors are always open.  You always make space.  And you never make us feel like we are a bother.  I'm feeling all misty.

The show you run is almost enough to make me go out and buy a console and relearn being a console gamer.

Any yet, after two weeks I am beginning to wonder what I'll do without OO.  A general love for PC gaming is part of my soul and the people who lightheartedly yet passionately geek about what is, what was, and what should and should never ever be in PC gaming is really where my comfort zone lies.

My best to Rip.  May your name not be some sort of dark literary foreshadowing.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: April 17, 2008, 02:51:44 PM »

Quote from: Miltonite on April 17, 2008, 02:19:26 PM

No I don't.  Jerk.

can you get banned for a personal attack on someone who really doesn't exist?

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: April 17, 2008, 03:55:04 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 17, 2008, 02:49:38 PM

I remembered my password of old, so I just wanted to drop by to give thanx to KD and company for some great hospitality and to say this's some mighty fine forum you got goin' here.  You are the best extended virtual family that anyone could hope to have.  We never call.  We never write.  And yet your doors are always open.  You always make space.  And you never make us feel like we are a bother.  I'm feeling all misty.

The show you run is almost enough to make me go out and buy a console and relearn being a console gamer.

Any yet, after two weeks I am beginning to wonder what I'll do without OO.  A general love for PC gaming is part of my soul and the people who lightheartedly yet passionately geek about what is, what was, and what should and should never ever be in PC gaming is really where my comfort zone lies.

My best to Rip.  May your name not be some sort of dark literary foreshadowing.

Thanks LM.  That means a lot. smile 

Sorry bout the hiccup on the server.  Apparently some dead squid got caught in the database table gears.  Are we missing anyone?  We might want to do a head count...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 17, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »

I blame the crashes on the influx of OO refugees. If you all had used both forums all the time like me and been cross posting then there would not have been an overload of people coming in. Its your fault! smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 17, 2008, 03:57:12 PM »

I just broke out my picture.  Guess it's time to get comfortable...
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 17, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »

My gut says that Rip is waiting until he has his new infrastructure up AND has received the final results of the data recovery process before re-hosting OO, all of which could all take quite a bit more time.

If someone has control over the OO domain stuff, then IMHO it would make sense to point OO to a temporary site explaining the outage, perhaps along with some temporary forums so folks can gnash and wail in there while they wait for OO to rise instead of trampling too much in other people's yards.  I'm glad I've had more "forum time" available to participate in other forums that I like to visit, but it doesn't seem right to me to ask other homeowners to rearrange their landscaping to look more like another house, so to speak.

If the domain was bought/registered through Rip's business, then maybe it's not possible to get to the required settings to change the nameservers to point OO to a temporary "waiting room" site.  I'm still fuzzy on how all that works -- I always just follow my domain registrar etc. instructions for stuff like that and cross my fingers that everything goes where I want it to go. smile

Oddly, before it all went dark, I was just about to use the hosting I had through Rip for something useful, a blog sort of project.  After a few days, I just reconfiggled my domain and moved on. I feel badly for those whose data is in limbo or potentially *poofed*.

Lastly, please enjoy this recreation of what may have happened in the OO server room.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 17, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »

I'm actually in the process now of trying to put up a temporary page. The domain is at GoDaddy if I recall correctly, so just need to get in touch with ImLawBoy. My contact info for him is a year-old though, so if anyone has something more recent, feel free to PM me.

I'm not sure I want to get into putting up a temporary forum though. There are several currently in use (GT, PH, Qt3), and it just doesn't make a lot of sense to add in a 4th at this point.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 17, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »

I remembered my password of old, so I just wanted to drop by to give thanx to KD and company for some great hospitality and to say this's some mighty fine forum you got goin' here.  You are the best extended virtual family that anyone could hope to have.  We never call.  We never write.  And yet your doors are always open.  You always make space.  And you never make us feel like we are a bother.  I'm feeling all misty.

Any yet, after two weeks I am beginning to wonder what I'll do without OO.  A general love for PC gaming is part of my soul and the people who lightheartedly yet passionately geek about what is, what was, and what should and should never ever be in PC gaming is really where my comfort zone lies.

wait.. a LM post with nary a misspelling and cohesive thought...

who hacked his account?

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 17, 2008, 04:13:37 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on April 17, 2008, 03:57:12 PM

I just broke out my picture.  Guess it's time to get comfortable...

Bring on the Cineplexity thread!
Remus West
« Reply #698 on: April 17, 2008, 04:20:37 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 17, 2008, 04:11:21 PM

who hacked his account?
I wasn one thst dod it.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 17, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »

who hacked his account?

Perhaps he used the Spell Check button.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 17, 2008, 04:28:12 PM »

who hacked his account?

My thoughts are always cohesive.  Y'all just expect a different glue.  

My grammar is improved because of a simple "Spell Check" button that allows me to see most mistakes without having to spend copious amounts of effort looking for them (and it is copious amounts of effort for me).  I'm sure if I spend any time posting here there will still be a plethora of missing words or strangely inappropriate suffixes to piece meal through for any one who cares enough to do so.

It makes me miss hand writing letters, where writing had to be so much more careful and deliberate and every letter had to be formed, where my apparent lack of cohesion and a pot of coffee would compose ten or twenty page letters that I'd never see again and whose contents would fleet and be forgotten within a week.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: April 17, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 17, 2008, 04:28:12 PM

My grammar is improved because of a simple "Spell Check" button that allows me to see most mistakes without having to spend copious amounts of effort looking for them (and it is copious amounts of effort for me).

I was right!

And good grief, when did I accumulate >300 posts here?
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: April 17, 2008, 04:36:41 PM »

You know, people have commented about what is missing here compared to OO in the post department.... well I say get posting.  We have quite a few PC gamers here but not what OO has.  However with many from OO here we can get much more lively discussion going in my opinion in that area.  Same with Off Topic... people say OO had more off topic conversation... well I say get posting some new topics!
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #703 on: April 17, 2008, 04:44:28 PM »

Quit standing by the pool and putting your big toe part way in. Time to dive in, OO'ers! Make GT a better place by posting lots of good threads!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 17, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on April 17, 2008, 04:44:28 PM

Quit standing by the pool and putting your big toe part way in. Time to dive in, OO'ers! Make GT a better place by posting lots of good threads!

As long as those new threads aren't from Zekester talking about how he likes women who "squirt".... boy was that an odd thread.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #705 on: April 17, 2008, 04:47:22 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2008, 04:45:48 PM

As long as those new threads aren't from Zekester talking about how he likes women who "squirt".... boy was that an odd thread.

We'll have KD standing by with his finger on the ban button

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2008, 04:48:03 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2008, 04:36:41 PM

You know, people have commented about what is missing here compared to OO in the post department.... well I say get posting.  We have quite a few PC gamers here but not what OO has.  However with many from OO here we can get much more lively discussion going in my opinion in that area.  Same with Off Topic... people say OO had more off topic conversation... well I say get posting some new topics!

But I mostly just lurk in PC Games.  ninja  icon_redface  I rely on people much more better in the realm of PC Games to discuss for me.  I just read/listen/learn about new stuffs...  And you can trust me when I say you really don't want this stranger spamming up your Off Topic discussions. stirthepot  saywhat
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on April 17, 2008, 04:48:03 PM

But I mostly just lurk in PC Games.  ninja  icon_redface  I rely on people much more better in the realm of PC Games to discuss for me.  I just read/listen/learn about new stuffs...  And you can trust me when I say you really don't want this stranger spamming up your Off Topic discussions. stirthepot  saywhat

Bring it on... I don't think anyone can be much worse than CeeKay.

And we have this shiny awesome forum software being totally under utilized.

Give the mods some work... I am sick of seeing them with signs saying they will work for food on the side of the road.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2008, 04:49:47 PM »

Don't forget to hop by the pc gaming area - i'm not a console person but I tend to hand around in here a lot, specifically in the pc area smile

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: April 17, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »

Quote from: Gedd on April 17, 2008, 11:04:25 AM

For the record, the lack of a recent offsite backup is entirely my fault. I'm as surprised as anyone that I don't have something from at least a few months ago. When we get back from this, I will be doing more frequent backups of the data. I know that doesn't help us now, but it should help us going forward.

The last backup of the database I've done and been able to find is a year old. That's a *lot* of posts (and some admin actions to boot).

Well whenever we can get OO back on it's feet, let's set up a nightly/weekly/whatever cron to ftp out copies of the databases. I've got the room, as do others I'm sure; I can set up a vsftpd chroot'ed account for such purposes relatively easily.  Hell with webmin I can do it with one hand all clicky-pointy like (don't ask what the other hand does.. Just don't.).

EDIT: I tried to post this earlier and I got a silly SMF_sessions table was broken (or something along those lines). Ironic. I HAD TO GO OUTSIDE. You bastards.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #710 on: April 17, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on April 17, 2008, 05:30:10 PM

Hell with webmin I can do it with one hand all clicky-pointy like (don't ask what the other hand does.. Just don't.).

I'm not good with directions. What was the other hand doing?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 17, 2008, 05:44:50 PM »

and don't forget the inordinate amount of shirtless photos he posts whenever a "what do you look like" thread appears...

...i still wake up screaming, "Someone get these pecs off me!"

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 17, 2008, 05:47:37 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 17, 2008, 05:44:50 PM

and don't forget the inordinate amount of shirtless photos he posts whenever a "what do you look like" thread appears...

...i still wake up screaming, "Someone get these pecs off me!"

forget... how could anyone forget...

icon_lol
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 17, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »

GT also has front page content too. There is also an urban myth about the format being updated one day  ninja
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 17, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 17, 2008, 05:49:56 PM

GT also has front page content too. There is also an urban myth about the format being updated one day  ninja

I have seen the redesign in part....it is mighty impressive...sadly the new Duke Nukem game could be out before the redisgn at this rate....

icon_lol
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 17, 2008, 05:53:09 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2008, 05:51:23 PM

Quote from: Jag on April 17, 2008, 05:49:56 PM

I have seen the redesign in part....it is mighty impressive...sadly the new Duke Nukem game could be out before the redisgn at this rate....

icon_lol

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 17, 2008, 06:33:04 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2008, 04:49:23 PM

Quote from: LordMortis on April 17, 2008, 04:48:03 PM

Bring it on... I don't think anyone can be much worse than CeeKay.

I'm saving this post so I can point to it later when you realize how wrong you are.

Because I can,
Fellstrike
Gaming Trend Reader

Pimp Walking Amongst Mere Hoes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #717 on: April 17, 2008, 06:44:41 PM »

john madden is at my house.
*sigh*
*looks at miltonite*

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" -George Carlin
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 17, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »

Any yet, after two weeks I am beginning to wonder what I'll do without OO.  A general love for PC gaming is part of my soul and the people who lightheartedly yet passionately geek about what is, what was, and what should and should never ever be in PC gaming is really where my comfort zone lies.

Considering the bottom of my soul could have reached out & typed that exact sentiment, word for word, but 'twas LM did it... somehow....  paranoid disturbs me.

I'm about 75/20/5 betwixt OO/GT/QT3, but it's darn nice to have a place to sit when the 75 is away. Cheers all.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 17, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »

PBS Narrator: And now we return to 'Masterpiece Theater's The Fall Of Octopus Island'

(The men sit, incarcerated, in the bowel of Cptn Grundbegriff's pirate ship. It is night, and they will be executed in the morning by walking the plank onto an ocean brimming with hungry sharks. They look glum, and are bored, except for Zaxxon; he brought his Nintendo DS)

(Super Mario Sounds are heard as Zaxxon plays his DS)

Yellowking: If I hear another blink, poing, and kaboonk coming from that DS I'm gonna smash it!

Zaxxon: It's not my fault you're poorly prepared to be incarcerated in a pirate ship. No self-respecting gamer is caught without a portable console in a situation of boredom.

Miltonite: What are we going to do?! We're getting executed in the morning. I'm too plump and the sharks will surely eat me first.

(A sound is heard coming from a treasure chest right in front of the cell)

MHS: What was that? It's like the third time I've heard that. And, Chaosraven, get off me. I can feel your chubby. That is disgusting. I'm a married woman!

Chaosraven: What?! Married? You said nothing of the sort. Where is this husband of yours?

MHS: He's incarcerated in a cell right below this one. We need to go and free him.

(Cut to: Shot of The Meal standing right up to the bars. He looks pleadingly to the camera)

Chaosraven: whatever

MHS: There it is! There's the sound again!

(The chest opens wide... and its..... Kelric!! He springs out of the chest)

Kelric: Hello everybody!!

Everybody: Kelric!!!!!!

hepcat: What are you doing in that chest? They better not see you! We're getting tossed to hungry sharks in the morning.

Kelric: Oh, I sneaked in the ship days ago. I've been hiding in this chest since. There's plenty of great ale in this ship too. I've been enjoying myself. Besides, triggercut, proner and tru1cy are pretty dumb. All they do is pretend they're playing dice on the deck.

(Cut to: Triggercut, proner and tru1cy, smiling and flashing their rotten teeth wide, pretending they're rolling dice on the deck.)

(Kelric takes a big, long swag from an ale bottle he's been holding all this time)

Yellowking: Can you help us?

Kelric: What? Get out of here? Sure.. I can go and steal Austin's keys.

hepcat: Please, please do!

Kelric: Ok.. You all wait here.

(Kelric walks away, but he's been drinking considerably, and he's walking tipsy)

Kelric: Man, this is some strong (fcc edit)!

(Kelric takes another swag from the bottle)

Kelric: I'll be back

(Kelric stumbles up the steps and dissappears)

Yellowking: We're saved!

(3 minutes later)

(Kelric returns, holding a big ole keychain with keys)

Kelric: What did I say? (hic) You wanted these (hic) You wanna hear something (radio edit) up! Austin sleeps naked.. and he's spooning Cptn Grund, who's wearing a wig.

Yellowking: Kelric, the keys!

hepcat: Hurry the (not for children) up!

Kelric: Wait a minute,wait a minute (hic) No need to be harsh. I'm here doing you a favor. I'm gonna be there in a second.

Fellstrike: How much have you had to drink?

Kelric: Just a tiny bit (hic) There ain't nothing wrong with me.. there aint nothing wrong. Looke here I can do the Irish Jig.. Play me some Flogging Molly

(Kelric starts dancing drunkenly all over the place.. He can barely keep himself coordinated)

Kelric: Ok.. ok.. I'm gonna openthatcellnow (hic)

(Kelric goes to put the key in the cell lock, but instead stumbles back, and falls squarely flat on the ground. He knocks the chest over revealing it was full of empty ale bottles. Kelric passes out)

tgb: Sonofabitch!

LordMortis: That's good olde Kelric!

(Austin runs in.. he's half naked. Sees Kelric passed out)

Austin: That rascallion took my keys! I'll take care of him. In any case... it's early morning. Get ready! You're all walking that plank

(Austin laughs maniacally)

Remus West: Come on, Austin. Let me out. We're Werewolf game buddies. I don't care about any of these fools.

Austin: No... (camera closes onto Austin) We're going to commit.. Remuscide!!!

Remus West: Ohhhhhhhnoooo!!

(Cut to: About an hour later. The refugee prisoners have been moved to the ship deck. The sun has risen. The plank has been set.)

(Cptn Grundbegriff sits austerely in a gold embroidered chair. Proner is actually polishing the nails in one of Grund's hands)

Cpt Grundbegriff: Ok, let's get this over with, Austin. I'm so bored. I've run out of Renaissance tomes to read. Just run these these ignorant OOers off my ship.

Austin: Very well, sir!

(All the OOers have been shackled and chained together. Triggercut and his co-hort, tru1cy starts pushing the OOers along the plank)

Yellowking: We're not saved!

hepcat: This sucks. Fellstrike, get your filthy pecs off me!

Fellstrike: I don't want to die with any of these fools.

Miltonite: They're gonna eat me first. I'm the other white meat!

(Zaxxon is still playing his Nintendo DS)

MHS: My husband! Please tell The Meal I loved him!

tgb: I guess they're going to kill a jew after all!

(dbt1949 holds up a picture of a large lady seated with a whole bunch of goats. The text 'Tell them I <3 Them" is printed on the picture)

Chaosraven: At least they could've lined me up behind MHS. I need to get one last grope in before I die.

Remus West (crying): Remusscide! Ohh noooo

(PR_GMR says nothing. He's resigning himself to his death. He prays Buddhist prayers)

LordMortis: I like bananas in pajamas!

PeteRock: ....as I was saying, Simba loves to run in full circles around the dog park. And on this particular day, he was very energetic and enthusiastic about being out. My wife and I love wathing him exercise and make sure to bring our camera to save all these wonderful memories.....

JeffV: I hope the water isn't too cold. And I hope the shark bites don't hurt that much.

(Behind everyone, there's Kelric. He's been chained up too.)

Kelric: What the (huck) (hic)! I was saved until you idiots got on this boat!

PBS Narrator: What will become of the OO refugees? Will they be saved from a hideous munching death by sharks? Stay tuned to find out.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:35:25 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 90   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: