http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 12:30:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 219977 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 17, 2008, 01:40:36 AM »

Quote from: Austin on April 17, 2008, 01:16:58 AM

The lack of communication has been... well I'll just end the post here but I'm quite disappointed.   icon_confused

"We shall double our efforts!"
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 17, 2008, 01:52:58 AM »

This is crappy but it is not LaPorte II.  A couple of us have spoken with Rip and he has told us each that he is working on it but that the other part of his business is higher priority and that he's a bit stuck on some things.  Still, this isn't good and I would favor moving the forums to new servers and would chip in a sum to help costs if need be.  The lack of communication has been... well I'll just end the post here but I'm quite disappointed.   icon_confused

Yeah, I don't know the full details but as someone said on Popehat, this kind of downtime is really unacceptable for a hosting service. 

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Remus West
« Reply #642 on: April 17, 2008, 01:55:48 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 16, 2008, 10:42:32 PM

Quote from: Remus West on April 16, 2008, 10:39:59 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 16, 2008, 10:36:37 PM

Quote from: Tscott on April 16, 2008, 10:34:27 PM

It's not up yet?  When should we start thinking about starting a "Music New Purchases" thread here?  Do GTers even listen to music?

at some point we should think about breaking from the fleet and following Starbuck.  She SWEARS she knows where Earth is!
Screw finding Earth, I just want my chance at the asian and blonde chicks.  Although Starbuck does look very nice from that angle. icon_twisted

great...all the cylons need to do is leave a trail of playboy magazines from the galactica to one of their bases and off goes Remus to his doom. 

"Wait...MISS NOVEMBER LIED TO ME!?"
Like you would be more than a step or two behind me.  Sheesh.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 17, 2008, 02:07:02 AM »

I've managed to use the downtime to good effect. I've modified one of my dogs into a lethal weapon.

Ye Olde Farte
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 17, 2008, 02:08:29 AM »

This is crappy but it is not LaPorte II.  A couple of us have spoken with Rip and he has told us each that he is working on it but that the other part of his business is higher priority and that he's a bit stuck on some things.  Still, this isn't good and I would favor moving the forums to new servers and would chip in a sum to help costs if need be.  The lack of communication has been... well I'll just end the post here but I'm quite disappointed.   icon_confused

Don't take this the wrong way, but at this point, what are we waiting for? We have new servers volunteered, we have the money, we have people willing to make it happen. If Rip isn't very interested in communicating updates, let's end this and get the software and backups moved to new servers and start over.

That's my rather blunt suggestion, and I'm sure, actually I know, others are thinking it. I'd suggest we move on, because each passing day is a danger to the health of the community.

Frankly I'm stunned that Rip isn't even communicating updates to paying customers.

2 weeks of this is long enough, IMO.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 17, 2008, 02:08:49 AM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on April 17, 2008, 02:07:02 AM

I've managed to use the downtime to good effect. I've modified one of my dogs into a lethal weapon.

While that is impressive I would be much more impressed if you did that with one of your goats...
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 17, 2008, 02:11:11 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 17, 2008, 02:08:49 AM

Quote from: dbt1949 on April 17, 2008, 02:07:02 AM

While that is impressive I would be much more impressed if you did that with one of your goats...

Goats are born lethal weapons!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: April 17, 2008, 02:42:39 AM »

Quote from: FishPants on April 16, 2008, 10:16:56 PM

Ok it's been about two weeks now no?

If someone other than RIP has ownership of the domain, and Gedd can find a backup; my offer stands to get this thing running on my VPS.. I just need to know some stats on total install base size; and average monthly bandwidth -- That way I can ensure I have the right plan to get it up and running.

It's a standing offer, and my email is fishpants AT gmail dotcom. Feel free to drop me a line if you guys want; I'd *really* hate to see OO disappear like GG.. Especially when I have a fancy shmancy vps sitting largely idle that I use for a family photo album (yah, I'm a dork.. suck it.).

A dork who knows his calamari could be just the ticket for OO. But I'll be patient for as long as Rip keeps reassuring me. Baaaaaa!

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 17, 2008, 02:08:29 AM

Don't take this the wrong way, but at this point, what are we waiting for? We have new servers volunteered, we have the money, we have people willing to make it happen. If Rip isn't very interested in communicating updates, let's end this and get the software and backups moved to new servers and start over.

Or I could follow Jeff Jones. Baaaaaaa!!

We could have an interesting discussion about what exactly constitues OO. Is it a domain and software? Is it a message base and history? Or is it a community apart from those? The community fades with each passing day.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 17, 2008, 02:48:43 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on April 17, 2008, 02:42:39 AM

Or I could follow Jeff Jones. Baaaaaaa!!

For the record, I'm not asking for anyone to follow me. I have no intentions of creating a forum or anything. I was just saying that I don't understand the holdup. We have volunteers to host the OO forum, so why not move on.

ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 17, 2008, 03:02:42 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 17, 2008, 02:08:29 AM

That's my rather blunt suggestion, and I'm sure, actually I know, others are thinking it. I'd suggest we move on, because each passing day is a danger to the health of the community.

Frankly I'm stunned that Rip isn't even communicating updates to paying customers.

2 weeks of this is long enough, IMO.

I imagine it would take a consensus among whoever owns the OO domain (I think someone said ImLawBoy), whoever can host the servers, and a few prominent OO community leaders/mods to make this happen.  So if this is what you want to do, try to coordinate a meeting of the minds.  Make it happen!  I'm just a semi-lurker.  icon_cool

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 17, 2008, 03:09:40 AM »

I think it is a bit premature to eulogize OO just yet, but the lack of updates does seem to warrant some concern. 

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 17, 2008, 03:27:45 AM »

Inconceivable!

It would be inconceivable for OO not to return. The finest fighting force ever assembled scattered to the far corners of the Internet?

Inconceivable!

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Miltonite
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 17, 2008, 03:32:32 AM »

When OO gets back up (whenever that may be) do I still get to kill Zaxxon? It is a really far drive and I have school and stuff, it might take me a while to get up there.

BTW can I have directions to your house Zaxxon? I am comming from Lafayette, La so directions from there would be good. Thanks  icon_lol

Believe me, I need more help than you can offer.

One of the many OO immigrants
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 17, 2008, 03:38:11 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on April 17, 2008, 03:09:40 AM

I think it is a bit premature to eulogize OO just yet, but the lack of updates does seem to warrant some concern. 

I would agree.  We may need to discuss other alternatives once it either comes back or is confirmed dead, but it would be a mistake to do so already.  For one thing, Gedd has said that the most recent backup is at least a year old.  It is worth holding off just for the chance to reclaim all of that post history. 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 17, 2008, 03:55:14 AM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on April 17, 2008, 03:38:11 AM

I would agree.  We may need to discuss other alternatives once it either comes back or is confirmed dead, but it would be a mistake to do so already.  For one thing, Gedd has said that the most recent backup is at least a year old.  It is worth holding off just for the chance to reclaim all of that post history. 

By the way --  when i said I was taking a break from the R&P forum over there, this is NOT what I had in mind.
LookLeft
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 17, 2008, 03:58:12 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 17, 2008, 03:55:14 AM

By the way --  when i said I was taking a break from the R&P forum over there, this is NOT what I had in mind.

On Soviet Internet, Forum takes break from you!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 17, 2008, 04:14:23 AM »

Quote from: LookLeft on April 17, 2008, 03:58:12 AM

Quote from: msduncan on April 17, 2008, 03:55:14 AM

On Soviet Internet, Forum takes break from you!

Hi Chris, and welcome  ninja2
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 17, 2008, 04:56:19 AM »

Quote from: FishPants on April 16, 2008, 10:16:56 PM

my offer stands to get this thing running on my VPS.. I just need to know some stats on total install base size; and average monthly bandwidth -- That way I can ensure I have the right plan to get it up and running.

It's a standing offer, and my email is fishpants AT gmail dotcom. Feel free to drop me a line if you guys want; I'd *really* hate to see OO disappear like GG.. Especially when I have a fancy shmancy vps sitting largely idle that I use for a family photo album (yah, I'm a dork.. suck it.).

A very generous offer, one I hope is taken seriously if circumstances do not improve. Even a temporary board that we get rid of when the full backups are restored would be better than the site not resolving at all. And if we do make it back, I'd love to have a discussion about disaster recovery, because there is no good reason why we can't prevent this from happening again.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:58:44 AM by Inverarity » Logged
Rhinohelix
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 17, 2008, 04:57:24 AM »

Wow, it's not that it's taking a long time (which it is, given any circumstance I have ever been involved with), it's that there is no news coming out of Ft. Pastor^H^H^H OO-ville.  As others have said, even an "Under construction/where is your God now?" page with an update every so often here would be fine but with this much radio silence, it is indeed worrisome.

Where there isn't news, fear and doubt fill that void.  Even bad news is better than no news.  At least bad news gives people a chance to respond, to take action to make things better one way or the other.   This lack of news tears down the community, with people holding on hoping, not wanting to let go of what was, while the community drifts away at the fringes as people hit their capacity to wait.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 04:59:18 AM by Rhinohelix » Logged

Dance with the Devil and the Devil doesn't change.  The Devil changes you.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: April 17, 2008, 05:05:53 AM »

Quote from: Tscott on April 16, 2008, 10:34:27 PM

It's not up yet?  When should we start thinking about starting a "Music New Purchases" thread here?  Do GTers even listen to music?

Absolutely!!!

I've got all of Britneys stuff on first release CD and everything Vanilla Ice has put out since "Cold as Ice"

Plus a huge collection of eight-tracks
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: April 17, 2008, 05:08:15 AM »

Quote from: Rhinohelix on April 17, 2008, 04:57:24 AM

Wow, it's not that it's taking a long time (which it is, given any circumstance I have ever been involved with), it's that there is no news coming out of Ft. Pastor^H^H^H OO-ville.  As others have said, even an "Under construction/where is your God now?" page with an update every so often here would be fine but with this much radio silence, it is indeed worrisome.

Where there isn't news, fear and doubt fill that void.  Even bad news is better than no news.  At least bad news gives people a chance to respond, to take action to make things better one way or the other.   This lack of news tears down the community, with people holding on hoping, not wanting to let go of what was, while the community drifts away at the fringes as people hit their capacity to wait.

I think Austin's comments from earlier today about his communications with Rip pretty much said it all.  Getting OO up is not his highest priority, which is disappointing but as apparently OO is hosted by them at little or no cost to anyone, it's hard to get too upset.  However, the hints that some paying customers are also being ignored really suggests a more serious issue.  

I'm not sure what to say at this point.  The longer the OO community doesn't have its own place, the more likely it is that it will fragment and never come back.  On the other hand, creating another board while we wait when there are at least 3 similar boards (that I'm aware of) for us to hang out in strikes me as perhaps a bit of an overkill.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 17, 2008, 05:19:48 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 17, 2008, 05:08:15 AM

I think Austin's comments from earlier today about his communications with Rip pretty much said it all.  Getting OO up is not his highest priority, which is disappointing but as apparently OO is hosted by them at little or no cost to anyone, it's hard to get too upset. 

That's only true up to a point. Free or not, there's still a responsibility involved to the community. GG was free too, and I've got zero respect for LaPorte pulling the plug and fucking over the community the way he did.

I'm not saying that's what Rip has done, but if he did do that, I'd have the same level of respect. Free or not, he still took on the responsibility of hosting the community, and year old backups and 2 (3, 4?) week outages don't sound all that responsible to me.

Why does this kind of crazy stuff keep happening to this community?

At this point, and I'm just being honest here, I'd suggest we change hosts anyway, and get our community back into more stable hands. As others have suggested, waiting runs the risk of damaging the community pretty badly.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: April 17, 2008, 05:33:23 AM »

Quote from: D.A.Lewis on April 17, 2008, 12:38:15 AM

Roughly some length of time later after I join Gone Gold, it goes down
And now
roughly some time later after I join OO and it goes down.

IT IS NOW ROUGHLY SOME TIME LATER AFTER I HAVE JOINED CONSOLE GOLD  . . . i MEAN GAMINGTREND . . . . .

DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ban FOR ALL OF US who want to see GT survive! We must sacrifice the one to save the many!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 17, 2008, 06:09:35 AM »

Quote from: PaulBot on April 17, 2008, 05:33:23 AM

Quote from: D.A.Lewis on April 17, 2008, 12:38:15 AM

Roughly some length of time later after I join Gone Gold, it goes down
And now
roughly some time later after I join OO and it goes down.

IT IS NOW ROUGHLY SOME TIME LATER AFTER I HAVE JOINED CONSOLE GOLD  . . . i MEAN GAMINGTREND . . . . .

DA DA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ban FOR ALL OF US who want to see GT survive! We must sacrifice the one to save the many!

bah, he joined on October 14, 2004, at 11:06:14 PM.  he was wearing fish net stockings, suspenders and a bra as he signed up.  it's been almost 4 years, so we're safe.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 17, 2008, 07:41:21 AM »

Actually, I've just about about gotten over the withdrawals. Bout the same time it took me to get over cigarettes.  icon_confused

Ye Olde Farte
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 17, 2008, 08:29:07 AM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on April 17, 2008, 03:27:45 AM

Inconceivable!

It would be inconceivable for OO not to return. The finest fighting force ever assembled scattered to the far corners of the Internet?

Inconceivable!

I believe the word you want is unpossible
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 17, 2008, 08:45:28 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on April 16, 2008, 12:21:17 AM

Quote from: Remus West on April 14, 2008, 08:16:31 PM

Quote from: Purge on April 14, 2008, 08:04:48 PM

Quote from: Remus West on April 14, 2008, 07:29:39 PM

Quote from: Purge on April 14, 2008, 07:27:14 PM

I passed your sister, Lady Beet, just last week. I freaked out thinking it was blood.
Last week it was blood.  The next 3 weeks you should be safe. icon_eek

I think maybe the use of the word "passed" was missed on you, friend. slywink
In MSDuncan's honor.  "Roll Tide, roll." icon_eek
Thanks Remus.    Actually I was thinking this thread needed a little of this:

92,000 last year for the spring game.     78,200 this year for the spring game after a 7-6 season.       The tide is still high in Tuscaloosa.    #1 recruting class in the nation 2008.     We're getting back where we belong!   ROLL TIDE!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 17, 2008, 08:58:28 AM »

uhm....hello - so this is the new revolutionary thread to overthrow and reinvent OO?

A new one
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 17, 2008, 10:15:50 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 17, 2008, 05:19:48 AM

At this point, and I'm just being honest here, I'd suggest we change hosts anyway, and get our community back into more stable hands.

Eep. Those're some strong words there.

I know you guys are concerned and all, but personally I think it's too early to be replacing OO just yet. Last I heard, in this very thread, Rip had sent a drive or two off to Ontrack to get them recovered properly. I doubt Ontrack are particularly speedy. In that case, it's sort of out of his hands. As far as putting up a temporary page saying OO is down (and maybe redirecting here), I recall him saying he'd appreciate it if some one did that, when people were asking if there was anything they could do. I'm not sure what's kept that from happening, really. Most likely due to OO's domain, servers, etc. all being owned by different people.

I understand the want to put up a temporary replacement forum, but with GT, etc. I don't see the real need for it. We'd just end up losing those new posts when the real thing comes back. Unless it's something that OO is going to transfer to permanently. And, as I said, I don't think it's time for such drastic action yet. We should see what Rip says about Ontrack, etc.

These're just my opinions folks, don't hurt me.  icon_frown
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 17, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »

Agreed - I certainly don't see OO fragmenting at present from this downtime and being a person who uses both its nice to see this site busier. QT3 doesn't appeal in the same way for some reason.

On a side note Gedd - are there any backups, even if it went back a month would it be that bad if we lost a months posts - as opposed to being down a month (or longer) whilst we wait for data recovery....just a thought as downtime as opposed to lost data is always a nice juggling act.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 17, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on April 17, 2008, 05:19:48 AM

Free or not, he still took on the responsibility of hosting the community, and year old backups and 2 (3, 4?) week outages don't sound all that responsible to me.

For the record, the lack of a recent offsite backup is entirely my fault. I'm as surprised as anyone that I don't have something from at least a few months ago. When we get back from this, I will be doing more frequent backups of the data. I know that doesn't help us now, but it should help us going forward.

Quote from: Tals on April 17, 2008, 10:58:46 AM

On a side note Gedd - are there any backups, even if it went back a month would it be that bad if we lost a months posts - as opposed to being down a month (or longer) whilst we wait for data recovery....just a thought as downtime as opposed to lost data is always a nice juggling act.

The last backup of the database I've done and been able to find is a year old. That's a *lot* of posts (and some admin actions to boot).
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 17, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »

BTW, I think getting a temp page up will help keeping the community together.   I certainly understand the fears of others as I remember the confusion when GG when away and I would hate to see that happen again.   Anyway, I hope someone can get a temp page up for OO redirecting them to other in the community

Gedd, thanks for getting the temp page up for the wanderers website

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 17, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »

Agreed and maybe Rip could post the updates/eta there as well.

Tals

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 17, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »

Y'know, when Rip comes back and tells us that his server crashed, his house burned down, he lost his dog, his truck broke down, and his girl left him, we're all going to feel really bad about this. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 17, 2008, 12:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 17, 2008, 12:12:48 PM

Y'know, when Rip comes back and tells us that his server crashed, his house burned down, he lost his dog, his truck broke down, and his girl left him, we're all going to feel really bad about this. 

I'm not sure why? I'd feel bad for him anyway if this is the case but it wouldn't be for anything discussed in this thread

Tals

QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: April 17, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »

doesn't the fact that he's actually send his drives to a recovery service tell us he is doing something...that stuff ain't cheap! 

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 17, 2008, 12:40:25 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 17, 2008, 12:38:14 PM

doesn't the fact that he's actually send his drives to a recovery service tell us he is doing something...that stuff ain't cheap! 

Everyone wants (or maybe not everyone  icon_twisted) OO back and idle speculation can only assist in this process  icon_biggrin

Tals

Austin

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 17, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »

To clarify, as I think I hear some confusion out there, I don't think anyone is really suggesting a dismantling of OO.  Well I'm sure some are but they are misguided. What is really being discussed is the future of OO and where it's hosted.  I have full confidence that Rip intends to bring OO back up.  I also think that this has spiraled a bit out of his ability to do so and much of that is due to some past oversights.  That said, the lack of communication says something also.  Lack of communication and an apparent lack of acceptance of help.  It's like some of the chemists I work with who don't want to use somebody else's formulation and reinvent the wheel to produce the same thing we already had; but developed in another lab.  Techy pride maybe? 

The reason there is no, "Can I has serverz" page up at OO explaining what happened is that Gedd, nor any of the admins/mods around here have that sort of access/control of the site.  We all have each other's contact info but it's on OO.  Some of us are collaborating to get info and a plan for restoration together but for the last couple weeks the urgency hasn't been there as I think we all keep expecting, 'okay it'll be up today for sure'.  (Watch when I finish this post it'll pop up)  Looking ahead, we will have to decide if Rip's servers are the right place for OO.  He let us use them for free and I don't think he or any of us expected this.  He was a couple weeks away from an upgrade when this happened, so just really crappy timing.  Again though, the disappointment stems from the lack of updates and the lack of help extended to his other hosting accounts. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #678 on: April 17, 2008, 01:30:51 PM »

If you are interested, and the community can foot the expense of course, I can hook you up with the hosting company I use.  Managed servers and 1.4TB of bandwidth a month goes a long way...

As much as I might want to add to my own community, it wouldn't be right to do it at the expense of yours.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 17, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »

Quote from: Kyosho on April 17, 2008, 10:15:50 AM

Eep. Those're some strong words there.

Yes, I know, and I realize how that came across. If Rip is hard at work getting OO back on the ground, then all is well, and I'm fine with that.

I guess I'm gunshy from the GG disaster. My main problem stemmed from Zaxxon's comments that even paying customers weren't receiving much, if any, communication during this outage. And for a professional hosting company, a 2 week outage is unheard of, at least I've never heard of anything like this.

One of the main problems here is people (generally) don't know what's going on, and what if anything is being done. A little communication here would go a long way, such as an occasional update, and a temp page. As it is, it bears a resemblance to a lack of concern and or low priority. I have absolutely nothing against Rip for even taking that approach if he has, I was just suggesting we get the software, and start using the new resources we have been offered, so that the community doesn't vanish because people don't know what's going on.

For the hundreds of folks who don't know we're here, they've been seeing an opendns page for 2 weeks, and if that were me, I'd just assume the plug had been pulled ... again.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: