http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 11:13:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 89   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO off line for a short time  (Read 220680 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 12, 2008, 03:14:39 AM »

Quote from: FishPants on April 12, 2008, 01:52:04 AM

P.S. I'm in Boston with my family right now for an impromptu american vacation. Any suggestions on "must do's" that are family friendly (No whores!).  Today we did Childrens museum, shopping up at Macy's (and around it) downtown.. Tomorrow Aquarium, Sunday whale watching (My daughter thinks that means getting on a boat, really I mean "go to the tex-mex buffet".. Hope she gets the joke).

Boston.  Fine city.  Who goes there in April and calls it a "vacation"?

Maybe the canadians aren't ready to be absorbed yet.  There is much they must still learn.

icon_lol

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 12, 2008, 04:05:28 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on April 12, 2008, 03:09:26 AM

You should look at the stats page...it's a little scary thinking awesome how much time people spend here  icon_twisted

Fixed that for ya.

icon_biggrin
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2008, 04:46:44 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 12, 2008, 03:14:39 AM

Quote from: FishPants on April 12, 2008, 01:52:04 AM

P.S. I'm in Boston with my family right now for an impromptu american vacation. Any suggestions on "must do's" that are family friendly (No whores!).  Today we did Childrens museum, shopping up at Macy's (and around it) downtown.. Tomorrow Aquarium, Sunday whale watching (My daughter thinks that means getting on a boat, really I mean "go to the tex-mex buffet".. Hope she gets the joke).

Maybe the canadians aren't ready to be absorbed yet.  There is much they must still learn.

icon_lol

In April, whales watch YOU.

If it's open, take the Old Ironsides tour. It's the best tourist attraction we've got. The Aquarium is second-rate. The Children's Museum blows, unless you have children, and even then. Weather is supposed to suck all weekend. We have a lot of good museums, but if you are child-infested I can't be of much help.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2008, 05:00:08 AM »

Quote from: Skylark on April 11, 2008, 04:14:24 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm another OO refugee. Any news from the front, Rip?

I normally only lurk/occasionally post in the PC Games forum on OO, so I expect I'm going to do the same here at least until OO goes back online... Good to see some familiar faces (avatars) here, as well as some new ones (Daehawk, what happened to the knights?)

Ive always used different avatars on each forum. This one is Melyssa Ford. Liked the booty smile Heart shaped.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2008, 06:38:36 AM »

OK, things continue to improve. One array has been recovered and I am just looking for the offset for the most important 2nd partition on the second array. The location of the /home folder containing the user content. Things are looking well for a full data recovery. In the meantime my super switch and my SAN have been installed and I am configuring them this weekend. Enjoy your vacation ladies! I will post an addition update Saturday sometime.

Rip out......
Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2008, 08:09:14 AM »

Kyosho, following his lurker instincts has remained in disguise this entire time, having found a shark suit floating in the water, sticking out the side of a suitcase. "Is the owner of the suit in the raft, or perhaps even on the boat? They can't be or they would have realized what it was. Then again, perhaps it's to their advantage to keep quiet." Disregarding that thought, Kyosho shakes his head. Then, munching on a piece of human flesh that fell out of the raft, he swims over to the boat and grabs hold, in the likely event that it starts moving again. "Hitchin' a ride," he thinks, giggling to himself under his breath.
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2008, 11:35:07 AM »

Quote from: Rip on April 12, 2008, 06:38:36 AM

OK, things continue to improve. One array has been recovered and I am just looking for the offset for the most important 2nd partition on the second array. The location of the /home folder containing the user content. Things are looking well for a full data recovery. In the meantime my super switch and my SAN have been installed and I am configuring them this weekend. Enjoy your vacation ladies! I will post an addition update Saturday sometime.

Rip out......

And do you have a backup plan in addition to fault tolerance now? smile

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »

You should look at the stats page...it's a little scary thinking awesome how much time people spend here 

Holy crap. 8 days 15 hrs for me per the corner counter thing I never look at... how's that even....possible... I'd never have thunk it even close to that- I usually just pop on, check a topic or two or thirty & pop off; or so I thought...  Good thing OO doesn't tally up time; scary to think what I've collectively frittered. Guess I'm not a raft eligible refugee after all.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2008, 12:17:12 PM »

OK, things continue to improve. One array has been recovered and I am just looking for the offset for the most important 2nd partition on the second array.
Don't forget to open a socket and implement the backslash protocol.
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on April 12, 2008, 12:17:12 PM

OK, things continue to improve. One array has been recovered and I am just looking for the offset for the most important 2nd partition on the second array.

DAMNIT!  THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »

Rip out......

I have no idea what the hell you just said, but it sounds like OO is getting fixed.  So, thanks for the update (I think)!

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »

Quote from: QP on April 12, 2008, 11:35:07 AM

Rip out......

Seriously.  Not to sound ungrateful for the awesome amount of bandwidth, resources, and time that you donate to OO, but as someone with a couple of paying hosting accounts on NavigatorHosting, I'm kind of floored that an 8-plus day outage is even possible.  If the hosting gig is truly more of a hobby than a business, that probably should be more fully disclosed on the NavigatorHosting site.  This outage has reflected very poorly on my reputation as an IT guy with those whose sites I manage.  crybaby
warning

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 12, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »

Quote from: Trent Steel on April 12, 2008, 12:34:46 PM

Quote from: cheeba on April 12, 2008, 12:17:12 PM

DAMNIT!  THERE'S NO TIME!!!

MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WILL DIE!!!!
Sectoid
Gaming Trend Reader

Is that baby on the hoof?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: April 12, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »

Glad to see everyone is still civilized?  Just checking to see what the word was.  Switching back to lurker mode.

I have a lovely bunch of coconuts, that I've altered in a small way.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2008, 07:08:20 PM »

Quote from: Sectoid on April 12, 2008, 04:00:56 PM

Glad to see everyone is still civilized? 

except for the ones who have turned to cannibalism.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2008, 07:40:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 12, 2008, 07:08:20 PM

Quote from: Sectoid on April 12, 2008, 04:00:56 PM

Glad to see everyone is still civilized? 

except for the ones who have turned to cannibalism.
But to be fair, they ARE using finger bowls.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2008, 08:38:05 PM »

Quote from: Zaxxon on April 12, 2008, 02:25:14 PM

Rip out......

Seriously.  Not to sound ungrateful for the awesome amount of bandwidth, resources, and time that you donate to OO, but as someone with a couple of paying hosting accounts on NavigatorHosting, I'm kind of floored that an 8-plus day outage is even possible.  If the hosting gig is truly more of a hobby than a business, that probably should be more fully disclosed on the NavigatorHosting site.  This outage has reflected very poorly on my reputation as an IT guy with those whose sites I manage.  crybaby

ouch.  you've had an 8 day outage?  i thought rip had the business side up and running a while ago and that the OO site, since it's purely a charity project on his part (for which we are all grateful), was being brought back online at his convenience?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 12, 2008, 08:38:05 PM

Quote from: Zaxxon on April 12, 2008, 02:25:14 PM

Rip out......

ouch.  you've had an 8 day outage?  i thought rip had the business side up and running a while ago and that the OO site, since it's purely a charity project on his part (for which we are all grateful), was being brought back online at his convenience?

No, this has been the entire NavigatorHosting shebang, AFAIK.  It's at least the navigatorhosting domain, and the two that I have there, and it's still going. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »

say, didn't someone else here recently accidentally shut down a data center or something by wearing a fluffy shirt and accidentally catching a sleeve on a switch?  I wonder if Rip is wearing fluffy shirts now...

Because I can,
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 09, 2008, 08:07:52 PM

I didn't watch the original BSG but from the looks of the pictures a Daggett/Muffett is a poor attempt at reaching K-9 awesomeness.  Can Daggett play chess?

I doubt it.

K9 absolutely rocks! All hail, K9!

Some of the best lines ever from K9: "Piece of cake, master? Coefficient of relevancy with the key to time, zero."

Later in the episode "Piece of cake, master. Blow it up!"

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Trent Steel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2008, 11:17:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 12, 2008, 11:14:05 PM

say, didn't someone else here recently accidentally shut down a data center or something by wearing a fluffy shirt and accidentally catching a sleeve on a switch?  I wonder if Rip is wearing fluffy shirts now...

I took out a wing of a building once by catching the leads to a power supply on/off switch on the side of the metal PC case it was in.  Yes, the power supply was plugged in.   retard
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2008, 11:22:28 PM »

I worked at this company years ago that was selling a ton of semiconductor machines to Hyundai for one of their Korea facilities. One of my co-workers was there installing them and right as he plugged in a power drill to an outlet in the clean room, all the power went out. He quickly unplugged the power drill and yelled "I unplugged it!"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 01:12:40 PM by PaulBot » Logged

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »

and i've told you repeatedly that at no point was any of your favorite sites affected, damnit!  "grannyLovers.com" and "somanymensolittletime.com" stayed online the entire time.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
FishPants
Gaming Trend Reader

Ouch

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 13, 2008, 12:51:34 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on April 12, 2008, 03:14:39 AM

icon_lol

We do! My wife and I love Boston, but we both hadn't been here in almost a decade.. I'm actually thinking about making this a traditional annual trip for my family.  Intercontinental hotel downtown is really nice, aquarium is a bit run down now (its the exact same as when I was a kid 20 years ago going there with my family), but my daughter is going to have some fantastic memories of penguins, turtles, starfish etc.

Not to mention we've eaten dinner the last two nights at the barking crab. Expensive? Yes. Delicious? Absolutely! My fam is in a drawn butter induced coma while I write this sipping on a variety of sam adams beers. Good vacation all around!

P.S. I would have done it mid-summer except this was a "between jobs for 2 weeks" situation.

PPS - Ironrod - Don't underestimate my daughter. Her favourite places to go are the AGO and ROM in Toronto (Art Gallery of Ontario and Royal Ontario Museum if you haven't been).  We don't need to do "kid things" all the time, I've clearly won the baby lottery with her. I fear my next child.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 13, 2008, 01:34:24 AM »

Page 10 already?  Well I guess it's time for me to lock this thread...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Remember that from days of yore?  Tongue
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: April 13, 2008, 02:09:12 AM »

Quote from: Trent Steel on April 12, 2008, 11:17:15 PM

I took out a wing of a building once by catching the leads to a power supply on/off switch on the side of the metal PC case it was in.  Yes, the power supply was plugged in.   retard

I did almost exactly the same thing.  Installed an old timey power supply in an AT PC.  Hooked up the power leads backwards (didn't notice until after the fact that there were two different configs and the one I wanted was on the back of the tiny instruction sheet I was using.)

BZZZZZT!   Darkness.

Unfortunately, even though we ended up resetting every cricuit breaker in the panel, we couldn't get power back on in the building.  It took out our store, the neighbor store, and an accounting office. We tried every circuit in the panel again the next day and still nothing. 

Owner of the building called the power department out and they messed with the panel for about 15 minutes before declaring that something wasn't right and there should be another circuit breaker panel somewhere else in the building.   

Turns out there was another panel right next to the one we were resetting.

Some genius had hung a poster over it.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: April 13, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »

Quote from: FishPants on April 13, 2008, 12:51:34 AM

Not to mention we've eaten dinner the last two nights at the barking crab. Expensive? Yes. Delicious? Absolutely! My fam is in a drawn butter induced coma while I write this sipping on a variety of sam adams beers.

Did you know that the Barfing Crab is on the endangered list? The developer wants to move it and turn the property over to the city for its Harborwalk. The day after the B.C.'s owner said that this was news to him, the city shut the Crab down temporarily for health code violations. Here's the original news report:

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/03/26/developer_would_move_eatery_chapel/

As the owner said in the followup story, if they move it, it won't be the Crab anymore.

I've never eaten there myself, but intend to make a point of it one night this summer.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 13, 2008, 03:02:51 PM »

From looking at it on the net it doesn't get good reviews much.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/barking-crab-boston

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: April 13, 2008, 04:27:11 PM »

Here's the latest update...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 13, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »

please....

I'd be a redhead.

Because I can,
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #470 on: April 13, 2008, 05:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 13, 2008, 03:02:51 PM

From looking at it on the net it doesn't get good reviews much.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/barking-crab-boston

Pretty mixed reviews. Probably depends on what you're looking for. Fine dining, it's not. Fresh seafood in a funky waterfront setting, it is. There is surprisingly little competition for that in Boston, and the few waterfront places I've been to are severely overpriced tourist traps. I haven't been to the Crab, so I can't offer an opinion of my own. FishPants liked it. A guy named FishPants must know his seafood, wouldn't you think?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: April 13, 2008, 10:24:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 13, 2008, 04:34:53 PM

please....

I'd be a redhead.

Yeah... but who says the curtains match the carpet?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »

GT was just down for me. Ive been trying for 20 min and it just now came up.

Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 14, 2008, 12:05:31 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 13, 2008, 11:56:49 PM

At first I thought you said GT was just down on me.   icon_eek  20 minutes!  Impressive.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 14, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »

I guess you didn't take the hint.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 14, 2008, 12:29:18 AM »

Walking past the old Octopus Overlords place gives me the creeps! - what with the hastily boarded up windows, neglected front-yard (which truthfully hadn't been tended in years anyway) the shutters banging in the wind and the hint of movement in the darkened second-story rooms.  icon_confused I'm glad I can come here where it's bright and friendly...

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 14, 2008, 12:32:32 AM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on April 14, 2008, 12:29:18 AM

Walking past the old Octopus Overlords place gives me the creeps! - what with the hastily boarded up windows, neglected front-yard (which truthfully hadn't been tended in years anyway) the shutters banging in the wind and the hint of movement in the darkened second-story rooms.  icon_confused I'm glad I can come here where it's bright and friendly...

One, two, Binky's coming for you.
Three, four better lock your door.
Five, Six, get your DNS fixed...

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 14, 2008, 12:38:08 AM »

Did it have a fallen tree on top of it? If so thats just my back building. You want the place next door.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: April 14, 2008, 02:34:00 AM »

I have a pair of 3rd party companies watching the server - the host, and a server management company.  I'm surprised that it took 20 minutes to bounce back.   smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 14, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 14, 2008, 12:38:08 AM

Did it have a fallen tree on top of it? If so thats just my back building. You want the place next door.
I just feel terrible for everyone hoping to find a torrent for the Morrowind Mod DVD.  All their cries in the wilderness will go unanswered ...  crybaby
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 89   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: