http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 04:03:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olympics 2012 - London  (Read 5371 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »

So am I the only person on this forum that get excited for the Olympics games?  I typically will watch a lot of the coverage of the games and the stories that come from them (most manufactured by NBC)

Things I'm looking forward too:

Looking to see if Michael Phelps will dominate again and go out as the greatest swimmer ever

Women's Gymnastic and Soccer (btw, I think it bullshit that FIFA makes the men's team -U23 for the Olympic games cause they want to save the best of the men players for the World Cup competitions, but don't have the same restriction for the Women's team)

Track & Field

With the media coverage being offered across the multiple formats I will be a happy campers

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »

I'm only really interested in the opening and closing ceremonies, and even then just for the musical acts and the James Bond stuff.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »

The American team arrived the other day and got lost for 4 hrs...totally not their fault because London is a bit of a shithole when it comes to trying to find your way around,and they have some roads paved out for Olympic athletes but its still apparently pretty confusing

24 HD(and another 24 SD)BBC channels go on air on the 23rd July especially for the Olympics showing every event

We have had the worst weather this year for a very long time,with floods etc,we even had a landslide the other day killing two people...however,apparently its going to brighten up next week(so they say),just in time for the Olympics..i was getting worried that the long jump sand would turn to cement Tongue

Danny Boyle(Trainspotting and 28 days later director) is doing the Opening ceremony,from the plans i saw last month it seems he is recreating countryside for it,with live animals as well saywhat

The news is currently all about:
G4S(Security firm)were hired to secure the games with some 10,000 guards,and constantly said that they would overshoot their target,however just about a week or two ago they admitted that they have no way of reaching their target,700 million has been wiped form their stocks,and they still demand to be paid 57 million,the Government has had to deploy Soldiers(more will be deployed here than are currently deployed in Afghanistan)and extra Police Officers...as long as its a safe Olympics i think that's all that matters,and to be quite frank,i would feel better with Soldiers and Cops than last minute trained Security Guards

Oh and they have placed Surface to Air missiles on tops of Blocks of Flats around London,much to the annoyance of the people who live there icon_lol

I went to London in the 80s,it was not a good experience(okay so i was only 12),everything was expensive,twice as much as things were in Manchester infact,and people were rude and the roads were annoying(even sat at the back of a minibus),it's not a place i would rush to go back to in all honesty...perhaps that can be said for all Capitals around the world,I dunno,that's the only Capital i have visited  icon_biggrin

Oh and Sportswise(oh yeah its about Sports),looking forward to the Footy,that's unfortunate with the U.S. team having to be under 23,we have a few over 36(Ryan Giggs for one),Beckham was not chosen,which meant all the papers went batshit crazy,especially after his two goals for L.A. Galaxy last week..but it will be interesting to see how a Great Britain Team do,rather than the usual England,Wales,Northern Ireland and Scotland,this is the first time we have had a GB football team

Certainly going to be tuning in more this year,mainly because of it being London,but also because this year thanks to the BBC and Sky(sky are putting up the channels for free so the TV Licence payers don't have to pay) the Television coverage should be the best its been

so many things i hate though
the 2012 logo

the Olympics 2012 mascot(Spoilered for size),i mean seriously WTF is that?
Spoiler for Hiden:
the Olympics GB outfit(designed by Stella McCartney),Where's the Red in the Flag????
Spoiler for Hiden:

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »

I'm super excited.  I get into it once the games get started.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 18, 2012, 12:26:46 PM

the 2012 logo

ah yes, Maggie Simpson giving a blowjob, even better than the Resident Evil 6 logo  icon_twisted

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 18, 2012, 01:36:55 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 18, 2012, 12:26:46 PM

the 2012 logo

ah yes, Maggie Simpson giving a blowjob, even better than the Resident Evil 6 logo  icon_twisted

I was gonna say what is it with you guys making me see people giving other people or Giraffes blow jobs...as with the Resi Evil logo,i can't NOT see Maggie Simpson finding a new Pacifier now!! icon_evil

McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:45:31 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on July 18, 2012, 11:43:03 AM

Looking to see if Michael Phelps will dominate again and go out as the greatest swimmer ever.

Does he need to do anything more to be considered the greatest swimmer ever?
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »

Quote from: McNutt on July 18, 2012, 02:45:31 PM

Looking to see if Michael Phelps will dominate again and go out as the greatest swimmer ever.

Does he need to do anything more to be considered the greatest swimmer ever?

Probably not, but if he can beat his 8 medal haul from the last game then I would think this would cement him as the greatest ever

NiM$
McNutt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

It's not possible to beat that mark.  I think he's only competing in 7 events this time.  Certainly not 9. 
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »

Oh heck yeah. Summer has some GREAT events. Obviously soccer is a huge one, but I'm one of those dorks that nerdgasms over team handball, water polo and field hockey (probably my favorite).

The wrestling events and Judo are also high on my list. Dang, even fencing is friggin bad arse. There are a lot of neat events.

I just wish the US Men's U-23 team didn't stink so bad... Too bad they didn't qualify.
Really looking forward to seeing Neymar and Pato play for Brazil.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:23:59 PM by McBa1n » Logged
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »

Quote from: McNutt on July 19, 2012, 01:53:49 PM

It's not possible to beat that mark.  I think he's only competing in 7 events this time.  Certainly not 9.

You are correct. I was mistaken

NiM$
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »

So am I the only person on this forum that get excited for the Olympics games?  I typically will watch a lot of the coverage of the games and the stories that come from them (most manufactured by NBC)

I think part of my problem is that the festivities seem to be starting late.  It could be entirely based on ego-centric perception as summer in Arizona started back in April, but the end of July just feels like I've been waiting forever for the Olympics to start.

There isn't anything specific I'm necessarily looking forward to, but I am at least thankful that they run from the 27th of July to the 12th of August, that way pharmacy school won't interrupt any of my viewing (begins August 13).  For the most recent Winter Olympics I had coverage on all day every day (for some reason curling was what I saw the most of), so I expect the same with the Summer Olympics. 

I'm definitely excited and looking forward to the 27th. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »

Apparently I haven't  been watching Olympic scheduling close enough.  While I've been waiting for festivities to begin the 27th, apparently women's soccer has already started.  I woke up to find the US women's team tied with France 2-2, so I of course had to sit down to watch.

So far the US has been attacking non-stop, and...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!

Up 3-2 bitches.   thumbsup

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 05:17:01 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on July 25, 2012, 05:14:51 PM

Apparently I haven't  been watching Olympic scheduling close enough.  While I've been waiting for festivities to begin the 27th, apparently women's soccer has already started.  I woke up to find the US women's team tied with France 2-2, so I of course had to sit down to watch.

So far the US has been attacking non-stop, and...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!

Up 3-2 bitches.   thumbsup

NICE...after that 0-2 start I thought we were doomed.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 25, 2012, 05:17:01 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on July 25, 2012, 05:14:51 PM

Apparently I haven't  been watching Olympic scheduling close enough.  While I've been waiting for festivities to begin the 27th, apparently women's soccer has already started.  I woke up to find the US women's team tied with France 2-2, so I of course had to sit down to watch.

Up 3-2 bitches.   thumbsup

NICE...after that 0-2 start I thought we were doomed.

And now 4-2.  The US looks solid, aggressive, and fluid.  After the World Cup disappointment it's hard not to have my hopes up for the US to do well in the Olympics. 

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 05:50:54 PM »

Is she competing?  If so, I'll watch.  slywink

While I love the winter olympics, I can't muster up much interest for the summer games.  I'll watch things here and there, but don't really go out of my way to catch anything.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »

No, she didn't make the cut.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 07:26:53 PM »

looks like the North Korean Ladies Football team are refusing to play because of a dispute over their National Flag,i have not heard any details yet,but i am going to go out on a limb and say that its probably the organisers who have used the South Korean Flag instead

EDIT: They are on the pitch now warming up

EDIT:EDIT: Yup,they showed the South Korean Flag instead of the North Korean

It's not like they lookalike anymore,the North Korean flag looks more like the Texaco logo,LOL
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:48:48 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »

US Women had to come from 2-nil to finally beat France 4-2.  They looked really flat in the beginning.   Currently, watching a very physical Japan vs Canada match.  Several yellows should have been shown on both sides with Japan being denied a PK.  I guess since these are the opening matches the Refs are holding the yellow cards

good game so far

NiM$
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »

I watched the NK/Colombia game - I think there were about 5 people in the stadium.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on July 25, 2012, 11:10:13 PM

I watched the NK/Colombia game - I think there were about 5 people in the stadium.

I switched to this game after Japan took control of their game. Was pretty exciting. Was shocked at how good NK played. They are pretty dang tough.
Watched Brazil look pretty weak, by their standards, and still blow out Cameroon.
Lotta teams have legit chances at winning gold in the Women's competition. In some regards, for the Olympics, the Women are more fun to watch. Then again, when is the US mens team competitive, except the Donovan team, in soccer in the Olympics?

All fired up for the men to get going tomorrow.
*updated* WOO! Just found out Luis Suarez is playing for Uruguay. Sawheet. Another player I'm looking forward to watching.

After talking with family about the games - I'm really pumped up for field hockey, too. Dang it's a great sport to watch. Woo! Olympic competition GO!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:27:53 PM by McBa1n » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 01:05:32 AM »

I love Team Spain's look.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm not sure what look they were going for - McDonald's exmployee or deranged marching band member.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 03:20:38 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 25, 2012, 07:26:53 PM

looks like the North Korean Ladies Football team are refusing to play because of a dispute over their National Flag,
Is that a bad thing though? Cause I've heard there's a lot of concern they might be smuggling weapons of mass destruction in their footballs...I'm just sayin what I've hear.  ninja
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 03:26:00 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 26, 2012, 03:20:38 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 25, 2012, 07:26:53 PM

looks like the North Korean Ladies Football team are refusing to play because of a dispute over their National Flag,
Is that a bad thing though? Cause I've heard there's a lot of concern they might be smuggling weapons of mass destruction in their footballs...I'm just sayin what I've hear.  ninja

are we sure they're ladies?

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 03:47:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 26, 2012, 03:26:00 AM

are we sure they're ladies?

Hmm....now that you mention it.   icon_cool  That flag stuff could just be BS to throw IOC officials off so they don't discover their true secret.

The ghost of Kim Jong Il dissaproves of this thread.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »

His son actually got married yesterday,i think the flag mix up is a nice wedding gift  icon_lol

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »

Team GB Vs Senegal is about to kick off,sell out crowd at Old Trafford(Man Utd's Ground)

EDIT: 1:1

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:05:41 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 10:29:32 PM »

Maybe this shouldn't be deemed an upset but Japan Men's soccer team looking to upset Spain... wth

NiM$
McBa1n
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 01:50:24 AM »

Fun and exciting day in soccer. Egypt making a run on Brazil was pretty exciting. UAE was pretty strong, but Uruguay has such good scorers. Mexico got lucky tying. Didn't see much of the Brits, hoping they replay the game tonight. You know, scary thing is, I only caught the end of the Japan/Spain game - it was shocking. Japan missed some A+ chances to put it away. Surprised by the result, obviously.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 02:13:52 AM »

I'm more excited about these games than in past years. One reason is I was born in London, we came to Canada when I was ten. The same year the Beatles hit North America.

Also there is some buzz that this is the best U.K. Olympic team in years. Early predictions give them over 90 medals. Traditionally the home team usually fairs well. Also Canada has seen a resurgence in Olympic interest with funding being better than other years.

I've got my Olympic iPad app that keeps everything updated. Scores, medals, news...etc.
Also really looking forward to the opening ceremonies..could be off the charts.

Rule Britania
Oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

I'm a dual citizen for the duration.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 05:40:15 AM »

it's funny,but we as a nation are a lot of moaners,people moan about this and that,but then Mitt Romney(who is in Britain for 3 days) says Britain is not ready for the Olympics and then the whole country comes together,LOL

He then meets David Cameron and comes out and backtracks his comments....What Mitt Romney said(and his backtracking) was pretty much all over the news yesterday

Today however,everything is about the Olympics

The Opening Ceremony is at 9pm i believe(UK time)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:45:50 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

Macca is supposedly closing the opening ceremony tonight,so that's something cool to look forward to if the opening ceremony falls flat

big pic
Spoiler for Hiden:
I am not sure you can get much more British in this Pic  Tongue

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »

Opening Ceremony has started,i think we are in The Shire!

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

As an Englisman I am really enjoying it, it seem so far so very English   thumbsup

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »

Ha,really liking the Bad guy 'puppets' from English Lit,Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland,Captain Hook from Peter Pan,Cruella DeVille from 101 Dalmatians and Voldermort from Harry Potter...oh and the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...which was creepy as hell!!

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 08:50:34 PM »

Mr Bond and Mr Bean  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »

That Musical Montage was pretty good,but pretty much tells me that music has been shit since 1990  icon_lol

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 27, 2012, 09:10:17 PM

That Musical Montage was pretty good,but pretty much tells me that music has been shit since 1990  icon_lol

That's just our age  icon_biggrin

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 09:16:14 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on July 27, 2012, 09:13:09 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 27, 2012, 09:10:17 PM

That's just our age  icon_biggrin

Unfortunately...

You're probably right  icon_frown

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »

Good God,we are only on C's  icon_lol

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: