http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:28:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olympic Torch Relay (w/ Pictures!!!)  (Read 773 times)
JayDee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »

The Olympic torch is currently on a 106 day trip through Canada. My town of Georgetown, Ontario (population 40,000) was lucky enough to be one of the destinations this morning, on Day 51 of the relay. The torch was scheduled to go through downtown at about 7:30am. While I was hesitant at first because I didn't like the idea of getting up early on a a Saturday, a couple of my friends really wanted to go and I decided I didn't want to miss this opportunity. Who knows if I'll ever get this chance again.

So we got downtown at 7:15am and picked a nice spot on a hill where we could overlook Main St. There was already a good crowd forming when we got there. It was pretty cold at -15C (5F) with a nice brisk wind.

We got word that one of the torch bearers had to back out at the last minute at the other end of town so there was a 20 minute delay while they brought in a back up. By 7:30 the crowd had grown.

At about 7:40, the beginning of the procession reached us. The sign on the car told us it was only 5 minutes away!

Excitement is building as the procession passes through.

All of a sudden this white van with official Vancouver 2010 markings stops and lets out some guy carrying an unlit torch, about 15 feet from where I"m standing. It looks like we lucked out and will be right beside a handoff point!

Finally, after 45 minutes of waiting in the bitter cold, the torch has arrived!

The handoff:

Unfortunately my picture of the guy running with the torch didn't turn out so that's the last picture I have of the event. It only lasted about 30 seconds, but it was definitely a memorable experience. If anyone here is on the path of the torch back to Vancouver I encourage you to go down and see it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:46:06 PM by JayDee » Logged
Z-Corn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »

Very cool pics, thanks for posting them!
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »

Really nice pics. Glad to see there aren't any guards running around the torch bearer.  icon_smile

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »

Awesome.

I got to see the torch relay pass through Atlanta in 1996, but I'm more than a little jealous of your experience today, since I've always been more drawn to the Winter games than the Summer games.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 05:31:04 PM »

Thanks for posting the pics Jaydee. I'd forgotten how nice Georgetown is - unfortunately the few times I was through there were quick side stops while on route to Guelph. I'm at the torch's final destination in Vancouver, so maybe I can post some picks later when it finally makes it here.

Things are already heating up here; yesterday I walked by the Media center to see the cool little cedar chalet -wish I had my camera to take a snapshot- they recently built out front. The parking lot behind it was full of vehicles from a number of the major networks, all crewed by pro wilderness jocks who work in outdoor rec and sports coverage. The one guy I talked to from CBS Outdoor said a big part of his job was to scout remote wilderness locations for potential shoots. Damn, now that's a job I'd like to have for even just a week! slywink
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »

great pics JayDee.

I can't believe you also live in my town?!?!? I am up in Moore Park about 2mins from Main St. How funny is that?

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »

That's very cool.  I like the reflective olympic rings in the 2nd to last picture.  Awesome design idea.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »

Quote from: hispanicgamer on December 19, 2009, 04:21:57 PM

Really nice pics. Glad to see there aren't any guards running around the torch bearer.  icon_smile

oh they were there, but you can't normally catch a ninja on camera  icon_wink  I have totally forgotten there was another olympics coming up, I guess that's going to fuck with my favorite shows TV schedules in February,

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 05:51:42 PM »

Quote from: Roman on December 19, 2009, 05:45:28 PM

great pics JayDee.

I can't believe you also live in my town?!?!? I am up in Moore Park about 2mins from Main St. How funny is that?

Roman

Haha, I had no idea anyone on the boards was from anywhere near me. I live in G-town South, behind the Metro.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 05:54:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 19, 2009, 05:51:37 PM

Quote from: hispanicgamer on December 19, 2009, 04:21:57 PM

oh they were there, but you can't normally catch a ninja on camera  icon_wink  I have totally forgotten there was another olympics coming up, I guess that's going to fuck with my favorite shows TV schedules in February,

They are definitely there. In the first picture of the lady with the torch you can see four people walking beside her in grey jumpsuits. That's part of the security.

The second half of security was the van full of armed SWAT team members that was following about 10 seconds behind.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »

Someone with more skills than I have needs to do a GG/OO map mashup so we can tell where everyone is.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: