http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 01:15:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olympic opening ceremony  (Read 1800 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:51:51 AM »

Anyone watching? The Chinese are putting one hell of a show. Gorgeous stuff!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:57:23 AM »

i have it on in the background on a little delay so i can skip commercials...some cool stuff so far.  the 2008 drummers all playing in synch were pretty damn cool...curious to see what's next...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:05:08 AM »

Olympics?  Is it winter already?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 02:27:41 AM »

That was an absolutely amazing performance.  Stunning.  Best Ever. 

Wake up.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 02:51:51 AM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 09, 2008, 02:27:41 AM

That was an absolutely amazing performance.  Stunning.  Best Ever. 

i'm still quite a bit behind watching in real-time, but what i've seen so far is absolutely incredible from both an artistic and technological standpoint.  the scope of each performance is unlike anything i've seen before...so many people all acting in perfect synchronization, combined with that incredible LED display on the floor and massive projection screen around the top of the entire stadium, create a truly amazing effect.  i'm still behind on watching it live by quite a bit, but i'll be surprised if anything tops the incredible moving printing block performance...and the unbelievable reveal of how they pulled it off at the end.

i really didn't have any intention of watching the whole ceremony earlier this evening, but what i've seen so far is so technically and artistically impressive they i'm totally hooked...a truly unbelievable display of technology and creativity.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 03:06:24 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 02:52:57 AM »

Their massive presentation was impressive. They had a long LED setup on the stadium floor that stretched to 500 ft. The calligraphy dancers, painting on the surface as they danced, were very inventive. But I think I was the most blown away by the printing-press blocks which were choreographed to emulate wind and water and at the end it turned out there was people in each one of those things.  eek

Now Im getting a kick out of the Chinese cheerlearder girls. They've been dancing well over an hour as the delegations fill the stadium. Oh, and Puerto Rico just entered the stadium. Yayyyy! (I'm watching on TiVo on a delay.)
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 03:31:02 AM »

Its incredible what they've done...the coordination of it all!  Very very impressive.  Even that stadium - it turned out actually kind of nice!
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 03:34:18 AM »

My favourite part was the lighting of the torch. Very dramatic. And those fireworks... wow.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 04:08:52 AM »

That was absolutely INCREDIBLE.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 04:21:38 AM »

I just finished watching it on TiVo delay. That lighting of the torch is the most ludicrously awesome thing I've seen in my entire life!  icon_surprised
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 04:26:31 AM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 09, 2008, 04:21:38 AM

I just finished watching it on TiVo delay. That lighting of the torch is the most ludicrously awesome thing I've seen in my entire life!  icon_surprised

that was pretty cool, but he outran the unrolling bit for awhile there- bet someone's getting line up againts a wall for that bit  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 08:09:26 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 09, 2008, 04:26:31 AM

Quote from: PR_GMR on August 09, 2008, 04:21:38 AM

that was pretty cool, but he outran the unrolling bit for awhile there- bet someone's getting line up againts a wall for that bit  icon_twisted

I watched this evening's broadcast and that was the running joke with the people I watched.  Any little kind of screw up was going to be rewarded with a bullet backstage.  When Costas made the remark that none of the cast members were used in more than one segment we all burst out laughing.  How can they be used in more than one segment if you can't count on them being alive for their second act? icon_lol

The entire production was absolutely fantastic.  The people they had walking around the moon was a great visual, and the opening drum sequence was incredible.  Was anyone watching in Hi-Def?  I'm curious to know how that sounded with a good sound system behind it.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »

Quote from: Biyobi on August 09, 2008, 08:09:26 AM

The entire production was absolutely fantastic.  The people they had walking around the moon was a great visual, and the opening drum sequence was incredible.  Was anyone watching in Hi-Def?  I'm curious to know how that sounded with a good sound system behind it.

Yes - watched it in Hi-Def, and I also DVR'd it on Hi-Def - It was phenomenal on my surround sound system!  They really out did everything - kind of makes me think of what are they trying to prove something (probably showing the world that China is modern).  I think the message for was even though everything was new and modern, that they have this thing about manual/people labour.  Shows in the drumming with the lights - new technology with people doing the coordination - same with the big blocks moving in rhythm and at the end it was people underneath it!  I also liked the fireworks going through the entire city - that was nice to see.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 05:35:31 PM »

Crap, I can't believe I forgot to set the DVR.  Are they replaying or streaming it anywhere?

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »

Quote from: Biyobi on August 09, 2008, 08:09:26 AM

i watched the whole thing on NBC-HD...great visuals and nice sound.  only bad aspect was the rambling commentary...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
mori
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 07:07:53 PM »

I did not watch it but did I hear this right? They spent $100 million in fireworks? icon_eek
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »

Quote from: mori on August 09, 2008, 07:07:53 PM

I did not watch it but did I hear this right? They spent $100 million in fireworks? icon_eek

there were definitely a lot of fireworks, but i can't imagine  them costing anywhere near that much.  a quick Google search turns up rumors that the entire ceremony may have cost near that much, but not the fireworks alone.  the real answer isn't public knowledge though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 12:03:42 AM »

Just saw the abbreviated version on NBC's website.  Even on a small screen, that was absolutely mind-blowing.  I'd hate to be the next olympic city that has to follow up that performance.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 02:47:25 AM »

Quote from: disarm on August 09, 2008, 08:27:55 PM

Quote from: mori on August 09, 2008, 07:07:53 PM

there were definitely a lot of fireworks, but i can't imagine  them costing anywhere near that much.  a quick Google search turns up rumors that the entire ceremony may have cost near that much, but not the fireworks alone.  the real answer isn't public knowledge though...
Try 300 million. The figure was divulged last night during the broadcast.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2008, 06:01:24 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 10, 2008, 12:03:42 AM

Just saw the abbreviated version on NBC's website.  Even on a small screen, that was absolutely mind-blowing.  I'd hate to be the next olympic city that has to follow up that performance.

Next summer Olympics will be in London. The British are going to be hard pressed to top the incredible spectacle the Chinese put on.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 06:15:35 AM »

I loved the green LED suited people. 2008 people moving in sync with each other is pretty incredible.

I'm sure that anyone in the stands would walk out of that place saying/thinking, "That was the most incredible thing I've seen in my entire life."

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 12:27:08 PM »

Most amazing performance spectacle in the history of man as far as I am concerned.  No other nation's ceremony has ever even been in the same league.  Awestruck.  To have seen that in person would be....no words.

...but still not as good as the first time I played God of War.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »

Word on the street is that NBC COMPLETELY rearranged the opening ceremony on the web version. At one point, you can see the US walking, even though they haven't been 'announced' yet.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 02:08:56 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 10, 2008, 01:55:18 PM

Word on the street is that NBC COMPLETELY rearranged the opening ceremony on the web version. At one point, you can see the US walking, even though they haven't been 'announced' yet.

I didn't see the live version as a point of reference, but I'm pretty sure they switched the order around.  Costas kept mentioning the incredible drummers in the opening act, but they were the last segment you see in the web version. 

On a side note, Sarah Brightman looks damn good for 48. 

Hiccup
Gaming Trend Reader

I have personal text.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »

Well, they did get the fireworks at factory direct pricing.

Just a little hiccup.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »

I thought it was funny when they said they were talking to the director of the ceremony and telling him how astounding it was that the ceremony would feature 15,000 performers. His reply, "Well, we had the people."

icon_biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: