http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:23:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Older movies that caught you by surprise  (Read 6360 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2010, 09:25:31 PM »

I could never understand the love folks have for Boondock Saints, to be honest.   icon_confused

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2010, 09:39:19 PM »

Arsenic and Old Lace     hilarious flick that everyone should see

R-2, I love that movie, it's one of my all-time favorites.  If you haven't already, you might want to check out the "Name that Movie" thread.   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »

Quote from: Giles Habibula on January 07, 2010, 08:59:48 PM

"The Night of the Hunter" (1955) was on TCM a couple months ago. I'd never heard of it. And yeah, it took me completely by surprise. I'm still considering whether to rank it as the best film I've ever seen. Seriously. It was that good. I immediately bought the DVD and also a book about it, "Heaven and Hell to Play With: The Filming of The Night of the Hunter", which was 400 pages of excellent reading. I simply can't say enough about how much I loved this film.

Added to my queue.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2010, 09:13:22 PM »

Any love for John Wayne movies here? I've probably watched 25 or 30 over the past few years. Most were mediocre, regardless of whether they were horse operas or WW2 propaganda films or farces. If you're not predisposed to old-timey movies in general and the Duke in particular, you can pass on all but a few standouts such as Stagecoach...She Wore a Yellow Ribbon...True Grit...The Searchers...

...and Rio Bravo, which I saw last night. This 1959 movie from Howard Hawks brings Wayne together with Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson, Angie Dickinson, and Walter Brennan (one of my favorite character actors) in a simple, small-scale story that's a delight to watch. The cast obviously clicked. The story unfolds at the casual pace typical of movies from that time, but doesn't wander or get bogged down. The movie was panned when it came out, but has since come to be regarded as a classic. Very entertaining in the clean-cut, naive tradition that died out in the 1960s. 

It won't appeal to fast-paced action fans, but if you enjoy watching veteran actors play off each other's best sides, it's worth the 2+ hours. Even the duet between Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson didn't make me reach for the remote, and I have low tolerance for sappy musical interludes.

map

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2010, 09:40:44 PM »

Absolutely the "Ford" trilogy; "Fort Apache", "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon", and "Rio Grande". The last of which Ford made so he would be allowed to make "The Quiet Man". If you have not seen the "Quiet Man" you should do so. All of which led up to what many consider the greatest western ever made "The Searchers".

Save America, shoot your television.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »

John Wayne favorites in no particular order

In Harms Way
McLintock
Son's of Katie Elder
The Cowboys
The Shootist
True Grit
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

He made some bad pics but back then all the greats made a LOT of movies and some were pretty bad.
map

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2010, 12:47:37 AM »

"The Shootist" and remember he was losing his battle with cancer when he made it. I think maybe second only to "The Searchers". But then there's "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" pilgrim.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2010, 03:26:39 PM »

Quote from: map on January 26, 2010, 12:47:37 AM

But then there's "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" pilgrim.

Wow, that's a walk down Memory Lane - saw that in the theater when I was a kid.  I loved it, and can still remember the title song, or at least it's melody.  I think I used to walk around the house singing it until my mother threatened to ground me if I didn't knock it off.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2010, 03:39:37 PM »

Cat Ballou has to be my favorite western that I saw in a theater.  Lee Marvin and the drunk horse, Nat King Cole and his banjo.....damn i love that movie
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2010, 06:27:35 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on January 27, 2010, 03:39:37 PM

Cat Ballou has to be my favorite western that I saw in a theater.  Lee Marvin and the drunk horse, Nat King Cole and his banjo.....damn i love that movie

Is that the one where Lee Marvin has the prosthetic metal nose because his got bitten off? If so, he was hilarious in that one!
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2010, 08:47:56 PM »

Yes that is Lee Marvin as Kid Shaleen......the guy with the silver nose thing is his brother (also played by Marvin)
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »

"The Shootist" and remember he was losing his battle with cancer when he made it. I think maybe second only to "The Searchers". But then there's "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" pilgrim.

The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence are awesome, awesome movies.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on January 27, 2010, 09:27:30 PM

Toss High Noon into the mix, and you have my favorite earlier Westerns (I might put Once Upon a Time in the West in over The Searchers, but I know that'd be sacrilidge for many).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:21:43 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2010, 12:51:44 AM »

The Oxbow Incident

Gunfight at OK Corral

The original The Alamo

Cheyenne Autumn

Ride the High Country (not sure how "old" old has to be)

Shane

Hombre
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2010, 01:02:53 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 27, 2010, 11:24:16 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on January 27, 2010, 09:27:30 PM

Toss High Noon into the mix, and you have my favorite early Westerns (I might put Once Upon a Time in the West in over The Searchers, but I know that'd be sacrilidge for many).

Rio Bravo was Wayne's and Hawks' response to High Noon, which both men hated. The stories are very similar but the characters are opposites, from the sheriff on down to the townspeople. (Rio Bravo wisely didn't use the clock device).

We saw Liberty Valence a few months ago. It's a pity one can only see that movie for the first time once. Even though I hadn't seen it in decades I knew the twist that was coming at the end -- one does not forget something like that. My wife wasn't expecting it, and she was floored. It's always nice to see a movie's impact undiminished with time.

map

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2010, 01:30:46 AM »

Gun Fight at the OK Corral? "My Darling Clementine"

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2010, 01:53:38 AM »

nope, the 1957 Gunfight at the OK Corral with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas
map

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »

Yep. Have you seen "My Darling Clementine"?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »

Barbarella.

The Giant.

The Longest Day.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People

Robin and Marian.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
map

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »

Oh yea Darby O'Gill That jolted the memory. Then Robin and Marion; clever treatment of the subject, not to mention Sean Connery and Audry Hepburn

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »

Glory (1989) tells the story of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry, the first Negro unit in the Civil War. Wow, this historical drama (based on real people) hits all the right notes with a great ensemble cast including Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, and Morgan Freeman. The only thing I didn't like was the soundtrack, and that's only because I dislike choral music. I found it over the top in a couple of places.

By a strange synchronicity I found out that our local historical society is putting on a small exhibit of artifacts recovered from the 55th Massachusetts, a unit formed at the same time as the 54th. Some excavation in South Carolina turned up the unit's burial site. Some 19 bodies had to be reburied, but various small effects like buttons, lead bullets, tobacco pipes, etc. were collected for display. The historical society is a scant half mile away, so I'll certainly go see this next month. Here's the full story if you're interested: http://www.wickedlocal.com/braintree/features/x349737270/Civil-War-black-soldiers-featured-in-Braintree-museum-display

Funny thing about being old: I think of 1989 as recent, but 21 years qualifies it as an older movie.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »

If you go with car classifications, it has to be 25 years old before being considered "Classic".

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2010, 12:25:13 AM »

2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Aliens, and The Thing.

Yes I like Sci-Fi a lot and no there is no movie that is better than 2001. Avatar is spectacular but 2001 is still much better.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2010, 03:18:56 AM »

The Thin Man series of movies.

Ye Olde Farte
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2010, 03:54:04 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 30, 2010, 06:34:18 PM

If you go with car classifications, it has to be 25 years old before being considered "Classic".

My OP arbitrarily said 1995. I'm more interested in movies that we probably missed than classics that most of us have seen.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2010, 04:31:47 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on January 31, 2010, 12:25:13 AM

2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Aliens, and The Thing.

Yes I like Sci-Fi a lot and no there is no movie that is better than 2001. Avatar is spectacular but 2001 is still much better.

Well thats certainly a matter of opinion, I know a lot of people who felt that 2001 was a convoluted, pretentious piece of crap  ( I am not one of them )  Its a great movie IMHO but it definately seems to be one of those movies you either love or hate, not a lot of middle ground for that one.

Oh on a separate note, any Western Movie list that doesnt include The Good , the Bad and the Ugly seems a bit lacking to me.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2010, 01:37:03 PM »

a western that might surprise you is "Duck you sucker" or the last western Joel McRae did, Ride the High Country
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »

Quote from: Jaddison on January 31, 2010, 01:37:03 PM

a western that might surprise you is "Duck you sucker" or the last western Joel McRae did, Ride the High Country

With a title like that it will certainly surprise me if it's good. Added to my queue. Ride the High Country was already there.

Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2010, 05:11:47 PM »

Duck You Sucker has Rod Steiger and James Coburn and is really quite good.  Centers on the Mexican Revolution
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2010, 05:16:10 PM »

If you want funny western The Hallelujah Trail is pretty good

Two Bronson western favorites.  Red Sun and Breakheart Pass ...I even enjoyed the White Buffalo
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:12 AM »

I just saw a phenomenal film last night.  Man Hunt, directed by Fritz Lang and starring Walter Pidgeon. 

It was made in the US at the start of 1941 and opens with a hunter (Pidgeon) lining up a shot on Adolph Hitler.  At first, it seems like it's going to go the typical Most Dangerous Game route, but, while it is essentially a long cat and mouse, it dip to that level.  The only weak part for me was Joan Bennett's accent.  She plays what I guess you'd call the love interest, though it's really comes off as more paternal, and she's supposed to be cockney.  Ugh.  It's close to Dick Van Dyke bad, but the way they handle her relationship with Pidgeon is still interesting (and she is well shot by Lang, who obviously loved her).

George Sanders and John Carradine are also great in it, plus you've got an extremely young Roddy McDowall as the gayest ship's steward ever.  They also have him interjecting things like "My word" and "Rah-ther."  It's like the writer had no idea what people in England actually sound like.

The amazing thing, though, apart from the really good extended chase, is that the movie was made before America entered the war.  There were senate hearings that started in the fall about this (it was a time when America was supposed to be neutral, after all, and that extended to Hollywood films, apparently), but they were cut short after Pearl Harbor.

I guess this movie was remade in the 70s as Rogue Male (which is the title of the original novel) with Peter O'Toole.  I never saw that one.  Someone needs to remake this today.  I only say that because I know people have a hard time with old B&W films.  Really, the original still holds up incredibly well, except for maybe some outdated dialogue and some class stuff.  And that damned accent.

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2010, 01:59:42 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 01, 2010, 12:56:12 AM

The only weak part for me was Joan Bennett's accent.  She plays what I guess you'd call the love interest, though it's really comes off as more paternal, and she's supposed to be cockney.  Ugh.  It's close to Dick Van Dyke bad, but the way they handle her relationship with Pidgeon is still interesting (and she is well shot by Lang, who obviously loved her).

Good writeup, I added this to my queue. While doing so I came across this in a customer's review: "...Joan Bennett (who really worked hard on her very authentic Cockney accent!),"   icon_biggrin

Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2010, 06:19:30 AM »

Well gosh, how did I miss Stanley Kubrick's Paths of Glory all these years? 1957, Kirk Douglas. Stylish (stylized?) antiwar movie set in WW1 France. One bad performance detracts only slightly from a masterful 90-minute story. The internet tells me that it's considered one of Kubrick's best...and I didn't even know he dated back that far. Fortunately nobody attempts French accents.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2010, 02:19:54 PM »

flipping thru channels I ran across another great western.  This one stars Clint Eastwood and Shirley McClaine.  If you like a little comedy in your westerns, then watch Two Mules for Sister Sarah.   Great movie!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Giles Habibula
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 13, 2010, 02:19:54 PM

flipping thru channels I ran across another great western.  This one stars Clint Eastwood and Shirley McClaine.  If you like a little comedy in your westerns, then watch Two Mules for Sister Sarah.   Great movie!

Yeah. I've rarely been let down by Eastwood or McClaine in any movie either of them has been in. Having them both in the same movie was a treat.
Jaddison

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »

AMC played 7 Days in May recently, what a great movie.  I have come to appreciate Fredric March more and more
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2010, 05:01:12 AM »

Have you ever actually watched a Charlie Chaplin movie? I rented Modern Times (1936) figuring that I was setting myself up for a cinematic history lesson. I'd seen short clips from it before and thought that I knew the clown routine. I was blown away. For the first half hour the culture gap was almost too wide to bridge. But once I got drawn in, I realized that the guy was a towering genius. I'm definitely going to check out some of his other movies.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2010, 12:24:02 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on April 19, 2010, 05:01:12 AM

Have you ever actually watched a Charlie Chaplin movie? I rented Modern Times (1936) figuring that I was setting myself up for a cinematic history lesson. I'd seen short clips from it before and thought that I knew the clown routine. I was blown away. For the first half hour the culture gap was almost too wide to bridge. But once I got drawn in, I realized that the guy was a towering genius. I'm definitely going to check out some of his other movies.

I was amazed when I watched a Laurel & Hardy movie on AMC a few years ago (the one where they're delivering the piano) because it was just so accessible.  Really, there was next to nothing that wouldn't work with any modern audience (including a couple of bits that were less genteel than I remember them being - Stan Laurel kicks a woman in the ass at one point).

If you really want to see a guy who was ahead of his time, though, check out Buster Keaton.  A master of deadpan and high-stakes stunt-work.  Especially don't miss The General (which recently came out on Blu-Ray).  I also really liked Sherlock Jr.

And there's also Harold Lloyd.  Safety Last is the one where he hangs from the clock.  My daughter really enjoyed that one.

ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2010, 03:52:01 AM »

Saw Judgment at Nuremberg about a week ago on TV. A long movie, but the acting was superb.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2010, 12:20:05 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on April 20, 2010, 03:52:01 AM

Saw Judgment at Nuremberg about a week ago on TV. A long movie, but the acting was superb.

Including, incredulously, Shatner.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: