http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:23:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old-school food  (Read 1187 times)
unbreakable
« on: September 17, 2005, 07:19:56 AM »

Arthur Treacher's
Jack-in-the-Box
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 09:44:51 AM »

I've never heard of Arthur Treacher's or Yankee Doodle Dandy.  There are Jack-in-the-Box aplenty out here in California.

What about In-n-Out Burger?  or Fatburger?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 01:14:20 PM »

My favorite school food of yore would have to be "Square Pizza!"  Yes, it was technically "rectangular."  No, it wasn't good pizza.  But I'll be damned if that stuff wasn't yummy.

That, and "mix your own Chili" Fridays back in elementary school.  Take your bowl of chili, add in your fries, ketchup, chocolate milk, dessert cakes, whatever else was on your tray, mash it up and eat it.  Yum-ass!

The salad bar in middle school was quite popular with me as well.  Was where I first heard the phrase, "Hey, you want some lettuce with your croutons?"

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 01:34:02 PM »

Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips was awesome!
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 02:01:28 PM »

When I first went to MacDonald's their sign said Over 10 Hamburgers sold!. :shock:

Ye Olde Farte
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I've never heard of Arthur Treacher's or Yankee Doodle Dandy.  There are Jack-in-the-Box aplenty out here in California.

I could make a post, but I'd just be repeating all of that.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 04:27:44 PM »

Yankee Doodle Dandy was a burger place, I don't know if they are still around.  Notably, they served hotdogs there.  They have been gone from this area for a long time, but I remember them making a tasty burger.

Jack in the Box seems to have retreated to California.  They used to be all over, but I remember a few salmonella outbreaks in the late 70s or early 80s...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 04:33:57 PM »

I have never heard of any of this except for Jack in the Box.

Around here there are a few I can think about off the top of my head-

Shoneys
Something Caesars pizza.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 04:46:28 PM »

I looked up Arthur Treachers, and the franchise still exists.  I just havent seen one in years, however.

All this talk of Fish and Chips is making me hungry.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 04:48:18 PM »

Shoneys!  I remember many drunken mornings eating their breakfast buffet.  Food never tastes so good as when you are drunk and up late.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 05:36:49 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Jack in the Box seems to have retreated to California.  They used to be all over, but I remember a few salmonella outbreaks in the late 70s or early 80s...

Got plenty of 'em in Texas.  Their horse-meat tacos are, as wbs coined them after I made him try one, "fast-food heroin."  They're also incredibly great when drunk and/or hungover.

They had a death by E. Coli back in the early/mid-90s, and took a huge hit, but they're still alive and kicking.  Doing quite well, too, if their ads are any indication.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 06:15:40 PM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"

Actually I take it back, I think I might have eaten at an Arthur Treacher's a couple of times.  There was some Fish n' Chips place near where I lived for a few months more than a decade ago.  I don't remember the name, but it was obviously a chain and it wasn't a Long John Silver's.  It was very likely an Arthur Treacher's.

I too am now hungry, and my brother flaked on lunch plans, so I've got to come up with something to eat now.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 09:25:19 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

Got plenty of 'em in Texas.

Yep... they're all over Tennessee as well.  I actually remember one in my hometown in the late 70s, but they disappeared from the area until about 5 years ago.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 03:50:45 AM »

There are some Shoney's in Nashville, TN. There used to be a few in Chicago (my first job was as a busboy there), but they came and went in about a year.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 09:02:47 PM »

Perhaps Nostalgia would be distorting my memory but I remember Roundtable Pizza in California to be awesome...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 10:27:35 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Perhaps Nostalgia would be distorting my memory but I remember Roundtable Pizza in California to be awesome...

Major distortions. smile
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 10:29:19 PM »

Yankee Doodle Dandy was a burger place, I don't know if they are still around.  Notably, they served hotdogs there.  They have been gone from this area for a long time, but I remember them making a tasty burger.

Jack in the Box is still in Texas too.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 11:04:32 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

For fast food pizza delivery, Roundtable is still pretty good.  I have one literally around the corner so you can imagine where I tend to order pizza from.  biggrin
unbreakable
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 05:13:27 AM »

I've been kind of pissed lately.  Im in Chicago, and there are literally NO good pizza places around where I live (especially pizza by the slice places).  WTF?  This is the pizza capital of the world!

Even one of the nicest spots in the city, North and Wells, has no good pizza by the slice places nearby.
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 04:02:41 PM »

Shakees - my god their pizza buffet was killer.  Every imaginable pizza, plus a deluxe salad bar, plus a taco bar, plus ice cream bar, oh and fried mush rooms.  All for about $6.

Burger Chef - All I can remember is that my dad took us there often.  It must have been cheaper than McDonalds.

York Steak House - You could get a steak dinner for about $7.  Ahh I remember taking many a cheap date there and then off to the Econo-Lodge  :lol:
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 12:16:39 AM »

Ponderosa Steakhouse!

Good memories.  There was one right around the corner from a videogame arcade and minigolf place when I was a kid (Haunted Trails, in Burbank, IL).  Go destroy $10 in video game tokens, play some minigolf, and eat at Ponderosa.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 12:25:49 AM »

Actually I take it back, I think I might have eaten at an Arthur Treacher's a couple of times.  There was some Fish n' Chips place near where I lived for a few months more than a decade ago.  I don't remember the name, but it was obviously a chain and it wasn't a Long John Silver's.  It was very likely an Arthur Treacher's.

I too am now hungry, and my brother flaked on lunch plans, so I've got to come up with something to eat now.

How about H. Salt Fish & Chips?  They used to be everywhere when I was a kid but they've all but disappeared.  I found one not too far away from my house a couple months ago and was overjoyed.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2005, 02:56:13 AM »

Quote from: "Biyobi"

How about H. Salt Fish & Chips?  They used to be everywhere when I was a kid but they've all but disappeared.  I found one not too far away from my house a couple months ago and was overjoyed.

Oh yeah, good point.  It probably was an H. Salt.  Definitely seen those in California before.  Maybe even recently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: