http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 04:27:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old man winter sucks.  (Read 672 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »

I didn't see a post about this, which seemed odd to me. It's negative 15 or so here right now. Yeah. Thats air temp. Consider wind chill and we are around minus 30...I love ohio. Who else here is in this brutal environment right now? Taking the dogs out is almost impossible. Glad I got gas on Sunday when it was a balmy 35.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:50:16 AM »

The whole nation is dealing with extreme cold weather..  Here in Baltimore we're at 10-12 degrees with wind chills we're dipping down into single digits.  I blame global warming, but that's just me

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »

Here in Denmark we read and see news about the severe winter in the states. I feel for you guys - it sounds horrible! Stories about exposed flesh causing freezing damages almost instantly and the like are rather crazy.

As a counterpoint, here in Denmark we normally have about 23 fahrenheit to 14 fahrenheit, and we currently have 48 degrees, which is crazy. Its causing flowers to start blooming, and the harvest may have issues as well.

Oh - and the above IS fahrenheit even though its a silly system. 0 degrees should be freezing point ;-)

Anyways - I hope you all are okay and eh..stay frosty in the horrible weather!

A new one
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »

Not long before reading this, I was scraping frost off of a curtain where it touches the metal window frame, if that tells you anything slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »

Like Denmark, we're having extremely mild weather in Norway as well, but with storm after storm after storm after fucking storm. I haven't seen snow since early December. In Norway. Norwayicon_eek
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:07:23 PM »

It hit -14 with wind chills in the -40 range here in the Detroit area last night.  Add in the foot of snow we got over the weekend and you would think we were in the Arctic circle or something.  I am not looking forward to getting this months heating bill!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 02:07:13 PM »

I live in Winnipeg, so yeah. We stop complaining about the cold in November.

Sunday's temp was -38 without the wind. With the windchill it's lowest recorded temp was -51. Celcius. That's -60F.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on January 07, 2014, 10:50:16 AM

The whole nation is dealing with extreme cold weather..  Here in Baltimore we're at 10-12 degrees with wind chills we're dipping down into single digits.  I blame global warming, but that's just me

POLAR VORTEX CAUSES HUNDREDS OF INJURIES AS PEOPLE MAKING SNIDE REMARKS ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE ARE PUNCHED IN FACE

MINNEAPOLIS (The Borowitz Report)The so-called polar vortex caused hundreds of injuries across the Midwest today, as people who said so much for global warming and similar comments were punched in the face.

Authorities in several states said that residents who had made ignorant comments erroneously citing the brutally cold temperatures as proof that climate change did not exist were reporting a sharp increase in injuries to the face and head regions.

In an emergency room in St. Paul, Harland Dorrinson, forty-one, was waiting to be treated for bruising to the facial area after he made a crack about how the below-freezing temperatures meant that climate-change activists were full of shit.

Id just finished saying it and boom, out of nowhere someone punched me in the face, he said. This polar vortex is really dangerous.

The meteorology professor Davis Logsdon, of the University of Minnesota, issued a safety warning to residents of the states hammered by the historic low temperatures: If you are living within the range of the polar vortex and you have something idiotic to say about climate change, do not leave your house.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 02:14:15 PM »

Here in southern IN, we've been at 0 or a bit below since yesterday with windchills of -15 to -30...  crybaby Its supposed to warm up into the upper 40's to low 50's by the weekend thank goodness. Atleast we ended up being spared the snow that was originally forecast with this. And OMG taking the dog out, not fun waiting on her to find the exact right spot to drop one....
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:17:58 PM by Mystic95Z » Logged
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 07, 2014, 02:07:13 PM

Sunday's temp was -38 without the wind. With the windchill it's lowest recorded temp was -51. Celcius. That's -60F.
No wonder you have an angry looking avatar.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »

We've been very lucky and haven't really been affected by this extreme cold snap.  It's been business as usual so far this winter in Salt Lake, with temps in the low teens in the morning and mid 30's by the afternoon.  Compared to some of you, that's practically tropical.  smile

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »

Wool underwear, people! Long sleeves and legs, and wool all the way. Regular winter clothes outside of this. Now you can wave the cold goodbye. If it gets below -5 celsius or so, make sure to cover exposed skin before going outside, once again with wool if you can. Try to avoid covering your mouth or nose if you can, as whatever you're covering them with will get wet and freeze within minutes.

Cold weather, even at pretty damn low temperatures, isn't really a big problem if you plan for it, though it means you need to limit the amount of time you spend outside. But yeah, it's not fun. Nostrils and eyelids freezing and getting stuck can be uncomfortable.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on January 07, 2014, 02:23:11 PM

You know how as a kid your mom would say things like "If you do that, your face will freeze like that?" Well, in Winnipeg they say it based on the time of year too.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 03:30:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 07, 2014, 02:43:10 PM

Quote from: Kagath on January 07, 2014, 02:23:11 PM

You know how as a kid your mom would say things like "If you do that, your face will freeze like that?" Well, in Winnipeg they say it based on the time of year too.

You mean, Winterpeg? I was stationed at CFB Shilo down the highway from Winterpeg. Talk about cold. -60 at times. Neal Young sings in a song, "Portage and Main 60 below" The coldest intersection in Canada.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »

and from the "I should have seen that one coming" department, on the coldest day of the year, my furnace dies.  I had to call several repair services and finally on lucky #13, I found one that could fit me into the schedule.  Hopefully I will have heat by sundown.

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »

A friend and I often have a friendly debate about who has the worst winter - Edmonton (me) or Winnipeg (him).  I secretly think that Winnipeg has it worse.  Even though you guys are further south, the humidity and the wind off the lake probably pushes it over the edge.  At least in Edmonton it truly is a 'dry' cold most of the time.  (with the exception of all the bizarre freezing rain we're getting this year...)
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 04:40:08 PM »

this is when living in the Seattle area pays off.  it's 41 and raining.  stay warm you guys. 

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 07, 2014, 04:40:08 PM

this is when living in the Seattle area pays off.  it's 41 and raining.  stay warm you guys. 

Isnt it always 41 and raining in Seattle?

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »

Only from November through March.  The rest of the year, it's 60 and raining.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on January 07, 2014, 03:47:07 PM

A friend and I often have a friendly debate about who has the worst winter - Edmonton (me) or Winnipeg (him).  I secretly think that Winnipeg has it worse.  Even though you guys are further south, the humidity and the wind off the lake probably pushes it over the edge.  At least in Edmonton it truly is a 'dry' cold most of the time.  (with the exception of all the bizarre freezing rain we're getting this year...)

We've got Sam Katz who only looks better as a person when standing beside Mayor Ford, higher taxes, and I think your city has less vagrant population in the downtown (though I could be wrong).

Winnipeg sits at 24.6 deg Celcius mean average using these measurements.
Edmonton is 34.8 by comparison.

Other major cities (capitals):

Ulaan-Baatar (Mongolia) 29.7F/-1.3C
Astana (Kazakhstan) unavailable
Moscow (Russia) 39.4F/4.1C
Helsinki (Finland) 40.1F/4.5C
Reykjavik (Iceland) 40.3F/4.6C
Tallin (Estonia) 40.6F/4.8C
Ottawa (Canada) 41.9F/5.5C

For those not from Canada, both Edmonton and Winnipeg are the provincial capital for Alberta and Manitoba (respectively).

http://www.worldclimate.com/

For reference our summer months look like this:

May    Jun    Jul    Aug   Sep    
11.3    16.8    19.6    18.2    12.4     (Winnipeg)
11.0    14.5    16.9    15.6    10.5     (Edmonton)
13.3    15.8    18.2    18.0    15.6     (Seattle)

We climb higher and dip lower when it comes to temp.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 07, 2014, 03:46:26 PM

and from the "I should have seen that one coming" department, on the coldest day of the year, my furnace dies.  I had to call several repair services and finally on lucky #13, I found one that could fit me into the schedule.  Hopefully I will have heat by sundown.

Goodluck! Seriously!
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 07, 2014, 05:44:02 PM

quoted for truthiness. 

* August temperatures are known to go into the 70's.  feel the heat

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »

Now as for snow, I bet the Snow belt region of Ontario where I live gets the most. The snow banks in my neighborhood are already 7ft high on either side of driveways. Seriously having trouble knowing where to put it all.
But that's norm for us. Living on the lee of Lake Huron(Georgian Bay) we're always getting snow squalls and blizzards.
Walked the dog last night, I couldn't even see the house next door with all the wind and drifting snow.

But its beautiful in Summer... nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »

If it's really as cold as is being reported, where's the snow coming from? Snow below a certain temperature is highly unusual. Is the temperature swinging back and forth wildly each day or something? In my personal experience, it stops snowing around -10 to -15 Celsius.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »

The whole nation is dealing with extreme cold weather..  Here in Baltimore we're at 10-12 degrees with wind chills we're dipping down into single digits.  I blame global warming, but that's just me

Whole Nation?  It was nearly in the 70's in Sacramento over the weekend.  Today its in the low 60s...
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 10:41:59 PM »

Weird winter in the Boston area so far. Snow, then a dramatic melt, then frigid air, then more snow, more frigid air, another melt (57 degrees yesterday) and another freeze (8 degrees right now). Long-term they're predicting a January thaw with temps in the 50s for next week.

Nobody is specifically tying climate change to this cold snap, but there is a possible mechanism. The arctic is warming 3x faster than the equatorial regions. The temperature differential between the pole and the equator drives the Jet Stream. The Jet Stream weakens as the differential lessens. And as the Jet Stream weakens, these masses of polar air can penetrate farther south more frequently. If this hypothesis pans out, the US will see more of these extreme cold snaps as the arctic gets warmer.

Unexpected stuff like this is what makes global warming such an interesting experiment in atmospheric physics.

Most people start to glaze over as soon as you mention the Jet Stream and the deniers won't even go as far as arctic warming, so you get the people in Bullwinkle's link drawing exactly the wrong conclusion.

Quote from: TiLT on January 07, 2014, 09:46:22 PM

If it's really as cold as is being reported, where's the snow coming from? Snow below a certain temperature is highly unusual. Is the temperature swinging back and forth wildly each day or something? In my personal experience, it stops snowing around -10 to -15 Celsius.

Cold air will produce snow wherever it encounters relatively-warm open water (lake effect, ocean effect) or meets warm air masses. Our biggest storms (Nor'easters) typically come barreling up the coast bearing lots of moisture that collides with arctic air coming from the north and west (or from higher elevations; remember that cold air sinks and warm air rises).

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 02:11:11 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on January 07, 2014, 06:15:41 PM

Quote from: rshetts2 on January 07, 2014, 03:46:26 PM

Goodluck! Seriously!

Thanks.  The service guy finally showed up.  I am $400 poorer but Im not going to freeze!  I guess a new console purchase is no longer in my near future.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »

Quote from: Caine on January 07, 2014, 06:34:36 PM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 07, 2014, 05:44:02 PM

quoted for truthiness. 

* August temperatures are known to go into the 70's.  feel the heat

this is usually the driest area of the country in late July, fact.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/seattle-doesnt-get-that-much-rain/
http://www.komonews.com/weather/blogs/scott/Seattle-Home-to-15-minutes-of-August-rain-168023006.html
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 07, 2014, 10:38:09 PM

Whole Nation?  It was nearly in the 70's in Sacramento over the weekend.  Today its in the low 60s...

lol it hit 77 in LA where I live over the weekend, I'm pretty sure a lot of areas were in the 80s.  My friend who moved from here to Michigan kept telling me about his -25 degree temps; I didn't know what to say except remind him he chose to move there. 

We are getting a cooler wave now, in the low 60s today, brrrrr!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: