http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 05:44:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, I was wrong. C++ is hard.  (Read 1483 times)
Orgull
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2005, 04:48:53 PM »

My face is melting off...

I've switched to Stephen Prata's "C++ Primer Plus" and I'm up to chapter 6, "Branching statements and logical operators". It seems clear enough when I read it, but doing the programming exercises is a whole different ball of wax. I just spent two hours doing two dinky little punk-ass console programs I could have done inside of five minutes with DarkBasic or BlitzBasic.

My head feels like a pumpkin in a microwave.

I so badly want some hard liquor right now. biggrin

VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 04:51:08 PM »

Quote from: "Orgull"

My head feels like a pumpkin in a microwave.

Just reading that makes me want to go take some Advil.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 04:58:26 PM »

That isn't inspiring me.  I have to take C++ for my last two classes...I've been putting it off for a while. Hopefully I can avoid the pumpkin-head syndrome...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »

C is much easier than C++ IMO.  The way that it flows is so much different.  Granted, I started with Pascal as a programming language, which was much simpler.  I think that if you are able to start in C/C++ and focus on OOP, then you'll be able to do better than starting off in a different language and move to C++.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 05:44:20 PM »

I'm surprised. I'm not in the programing industry at all, but C++ has been kicking the rump off of programming students for ten years that I have seen now.  I wonder why it hasn't gone the way of FORTRAN yet

Done posting
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 06:08:48 PM »

Just use mugen and be happy  biggrin

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 07:48:52 PM »

I had most of my college course in C++ and it was a tough one.  But once I got used to all of the clean up, etc. it wasn't so bad.  Then again that took me 4+ years to do it. smile  I still enjoy VB and C# much more though just because they "wipe their own asses" when it comes to alot of the dirty work.  But it's great if you really want to get down to the raw power of the system without going down to the assembly level.
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 09:29:29 PM »

Ok, now I remember why I'm sticking with C++.

I made a test program in Blitz and duplicated it in C++. The program prints "Hello" 1000 times.

I used exactly the same method in both languages, a for loop, to acheive the effect, the I measured how long the loop took.

Blitz3D = 284 milliseconds : C++ = 140 milliseconds.

'nuff said. Back to my book smile

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:58:55 PM »

C++ sucks. D is the future.

=) Seriously, though, C++ isn't that hard, it is just hideously designed. That said, D is easier, mostly because it is so clean; the comparison isn't even funny. I started porting everything to D the day I found out about it, my 2D Engine, my Compiler/VM, even my old utilities that worked perfectly. I did a clean sweep. Hopefully I'll never have to look back.

I really hope D starts to catch on everywhere, C/C++ need replacing.

I'm looking forward to starting a 3D engine in D, it'll be my first "D from the ground up" project, its a beautiful thing.

Anyone who has to study C++, do yourself a favor and atleast do a little D on the side =D
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 01:33:41 AM »

C++ really is not bad.  Like any language you just have to figure out the important rules (the obscure ones will always be in a reference book). If you have any questions feel free to throw them out here.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:35:38 AM »

Like RedJak said, C++ is not very bad.  Once you figure out one good language, like C++, the rest fall in line.  I've never been very impressed with any of the 'basic' languages, like visual basic though.

Right now, most shops around here have switched to Java and C#, both of which are quicker to code then C++.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
MrZubbleWump
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 02:30:47 PM »

I agree C++ is a bitch and when I use it I'm really coding using a C style.  You are also correct that VB is a pig compared to C.  I use VB to code all of my GUI stuff and then call my C++ routines to do all of the work.

I never heard of D and I'm going to check that out now. I think we all love the language that we first became skilled in.  In my case it's COBOL and I still use it do simple file manipulation today.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 03:01:08 AM »

D: http://www.digitalmars.com/

I really love it. If Microsoft made an optimizing compiler for it, it would blow C++ out of the water. Note, however, that D is not slow even with the current tool chain.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 11:00:36 PM »

"In C++ it's harder to shoot yourself in the foot, but when you do, you blow off your whole leg."    — Bjarne Stroustrup.
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 03:11:02 AM »

I love c++... I hate Java and all its horrible horrible aspects...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2005, 03:21:26 AM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
I love c++... I hate Java and all its horrible horrible aspects...

That's funny because I prefer Java about a million times more than C++.
Semaj

View Profile
lol
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2005, 02:16:12 PM »

All i did when I started out was Pascal, and C/Fortran and C++.... it wasnt until like my third year of college I hit Java, so I was brought up different than you.  I have a hard time following java sometimes because you can do damn near anything and Java will cover for you.

C++ is all about discipline.  Do things in the proper order, make sure you do garbage cleaning etc.  To me its a better language to learn on since it promotes more solid coding techniques.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 11:58:41 PM »

I started out with C++ so I didn't think it was that bad.  That said, I seem to catch on to other languages faster than my co-workers who learned Visual Basic and COBOL in college.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2005, 12:59:34 AM »

I've spent time studying both C++ and Java over the last 5 years, and I definitely prefer C++.  My first language was C (using Prata's C Primer Plus), and C++ has a much cleaner feel to it than Java.  I don't necessarily WANT all my programming to be forced into OO mode, and I don't like Java's high resource needs.

So, lately I've been studying C++ and hoping to make a go of it (the book Accelerated C++ is a good one for those who already know how to program, but it's very dense)  But this week I'm going back to school and guess what the official programming language is?  Yep.  I'm back to Java.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2005, 03:01:01 AM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
I've spent time studying both C++ and Java over the last 5 years, and I definitely prefer C++.  My first language was C (using Prata's C Primer Plus), and C++ has a much cleaner feel to it than Java.  I don't necessarily WANT all my programming to be forced into OO mode, and I don't like Java's high resource needs.

So, lately I've been studying C++ and hoping to make a go of it (the book Accelerated C++ is a good one for those who already know how to program, but it's very dense)  But this week I'm going back to school and guess what the official programming language is?  Yep.  I'm back to Java.

Java is an easier language to learn if you're coming off no knowledge of programming languages. It's also more OO-oriented than C++ (or at least more explicitly so), which is why most universities teach it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: