http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 06:56:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok. I need help. How do I make friends?  (Read 2685 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »

Happy Birthday guys!!!!

Personally I just go around offering random HJs and BJs but that doesn't seem to get me a lot of good friends  icon_wink

But seriously OT, I wonder about it too, especially as I get older.  I guess one thing to think about is, as Dante mentioned, what kind of "friends" you are actually looking for.  Is it more just fun people to hang around with occasionally to share a common activity, or are you craving deeper/real friendships, people you can really relate and talk to?  Are you looking for friends to hang around with as a couple, or do you need a "best" friend type you can share anything with and/or talk to primarily on your own?  I don't have a big pool of friends, but the ones I do have I consider close to very close.  But each one takes a lot of time and effort to cultivate, and even some of the newer friends I've made who I really enjoy, I'm not necessarily that close with.  The newest friends I've made were either from work or were friends of my partner. 

Still, between family, real life issues, gaming and the old friends to keep up with, I don't really feel like I have the time or energy to develop new friendships, and yet sometimes I do crave some different kinds of interactions.  Other times you might find re-kindling an old friendship might make more sense, because the person already has the history with you, it can save a lot of time.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »

Unfortunately, our definition of friend has detoriated quite a bit, with the advent of electronic communication. Its extremely easy to keep loosely in touch these days, which does not make it easier to get / keep real friends anymore, since many people's contact surface (danish expression, means the people whom you are in some sort of contact with) has expanded rapidly. This means less time to develop true friendships and more time devoted to various online / electronic friends.

oh, and a very late happy Birthday Ron :-)

A new one
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 05, 2011, 03:32:20 PM

Nothing was said. I just found out (no details) just before the site relaunch.

Ron is a private person. If he shares info with you and unless it is public knowledge, keep it to yourself as it is a sign of his trust and respect.

I would hope that goes without saying smile I was asking in case it was common knowledge. If not, and Ron wants to keep it private then needless to say I completely respect that. Personally I have a lot of respect for Ron, and if anyone screwed him over I'd love to know so I can avoid said people moving forward. But again that's his story to tell, or not tell as he chooses.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »

I'm 37. My observation is to make friends as an adult you do thru your lifestyle, career pursuits and hobbies. I'm an indie filmmaker, so I've many filmmaking and actor friends since I'm always working on something. I've worked at Social Security for over 11 years, but oddly I don't keep many friends there (it's not my passion, just a dayjob). I recently came out as gay, so I've been making many gay friends just in the past couple of years. Lastly, I'm a big dorky gamer, so I've all my online gaming friends (a few which I've only met in real life.. but I consider all real friends anyways). I say.. start getting a life outside your married household thru hobbies and interests and you'll start making friends.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 05, 2011, 07:39:18 PM

I recently came out as gay

WTF?  Why wasn't I informed of this?!?!?  I am going to need proof.  Plus you've taken away the only thing that made me unique on these forums!!!! 

lol just kiddin!  Move along people, back to the OT!!!
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 05, 2011, 09:07:17 PM

WTF?  Why wasn't I informed of this?!?!?  I am going to need proof.  Plus you've taken away the only thing that made me unique on these forums!!!! 

Fireball1444 is also gay, I believe. We ain't unique, Ritt. But you can still claim the title of being extra.. fabulous!  Fabulous
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 09:21:39 PM »

I figured you guys had some sort of radar.  slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 05, 2011, 09:21:39 PM

i thought there was a newsletter for that stuff...... Roll Eyes
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2011, 09:25:55 PM »

Personally I just go around offering random HJs and BJs but that doesn't seem to get me a lot of good friends  icon_wink
I dunno, it seems pretty friendly.  slywink

But seriously OT, I wonder about it too, especially as I get older.  I guess one thing to think about is, as Dante mentioned, what kind of "friends" you are actually looking for.  Is it more just fun people to hang around with occasionally to share a common activity, or are you craving deeper/real friendships, people you can really relate and talk to?  Are you looking for friends to hang around with as a couple, or do you need a "best" friend type you can share anything with and/or talk to primarily on your own?  I don't have a big pool of friends, but the ones I do have I consider close to very close.  But each one takes a lot of time and effort to cultivate, and even some of the newer friends I've made who I really enjoy, I'm not necessarily that close with.  The newest friends I've made were either from work or were friends of my partner.  
 I'd really like friends that we could do things with - hit the movies, play some board games, have em over for Rock Band, burn some meat on the grill, go camping, etc. etc.   Yea, these people should 'get' me and we should be able to talk.    Best friends come from that same pool, after trust is built I think.  

On the 'being fucked over' thing, I'm not prepared to say what happened, but suffice it to say that I trusted the person completely and considered him a great friend.  That turned into me making a very serious and sincere threat that I would put a bullet in his skull if our paths ever crossed again.  Yea, it's that bad.

Still, between family, real life issues, gaming and the old friends to keep up with, I don't really feel like I have the time or energy to develop new friendships, and yet sometimes I do crave some different kinds of interactions.  Other times you might find re-kindling an old friendship might make more sense, because the person already has the history with you, it can save a lot of time.
 I really wish we had moved somewhere else on some days.  Somewhere where those old friends are around.  :/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on July 05, 2011, 09:25:20 PM

i thought there was a newsletter for that stuff......

Wasn't there a phone tree?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2011, 01:05:45 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 05, 2011, 09:28:37 PM

Quote from: Scuzz on July 05, 2011, 09:25:20 PM

i thought there was a newsletter for that stuff......

Wasn't there a phone tree?

slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2011, 07:56:14 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 05, 2011, 09:25:55 PM

I'd really like friends that we could do things with - hit the movies, play some board games, have em over for Rock Band, burn some meat on the grill, go camping, etc. etc.   Yea, these people should 'get' me and we should be able to talk.    Best friends come from that same pool, after trust is built I think.

I find that when my close friends get married and have families of their own, the hang out time diminish significantly, especially after kids come into the picture. Not saying it's not possible anymore but it is tougher to arrange.
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on July 06, 2011, 07:56:14 AM

I find that when my close friends get married and have families of their own, the hang out time diminish significantly, especially after kids come into the picture. Not saying it's not possible anymore but it is tougher to arrange.

Yeah, I saw that happening with my circle of friends too but it is offset a little by birthdays. One person would request a LAN party for his birthday, I'd ask for a board game fest, etc. Then there are the kids birthdays which is always an excuse to get together, hang out and drink a beer or two

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »

Seriously, man. I'm standing right here.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on July 06, 2011, 02:00:19 PM

Seriously, man. I'm standing right here.

I thought you were just Republican.

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2011, 02:57:41 PM »

Suddenly it's raining men on GT.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 06, 2011, 02:57:41 PM

Suddenly it's raining men on GT.

Hallelujah!  icon_lol
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2011, 03:16:20 PM »

Somehow I think this thread needs to go back to discussing how Knightshade can make some friends. Otherwise, people are gonna mistakenly read it as how Knightshade came out and wants to make some 'friends... with benefits'.  icon_lol
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2011, 03:22:28 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on July 06, 2011, 03:16:20 PM

Somehow I think this thread needs to go back to discussing how Knightshade can make some friends. Otherwise, people are gonna mistakenly read it as how Knightshade came out and wants to make some 'friends... with benefits'.  icon_lol

wouldn't that make him Raibowshade Dragon?

* CeeKay flees

Because I can,
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2011, 04:10:04 PM »

My wife and I have found most of our friends through work. We both loathe crowds which limits our outside social interaction, but have struck a nice balance by hosting game nights and BBQ's at our place. Being almost 40 and having no children complicates things some as well, as neither of us is particularly fond of small children (we aren't child-haters or anything, we just don't really "get" kids). As a result, most of our friends tend to be in the 20-30 range, with a few adults who are similar to us. We tend to look for strays like us and forge something with them.

Also, and this may be just me, but the older I get the more refined my bullshit meter gets. We have a standard of requiring someone be a polite, responsible person in order to be included in the "friend zone". I have no time or energy for drama or inconsiderate behavior. Thus, when we meet someone new I generally like to see which way the wind blows before inviting them into my life.

Our situation is further compounded by the fact that Florida is the armpit of America. I love the weather, but folks are real floaty and transitional here. Is it similar in Arizona? I think it may be the heat - comfort breeds complacency and all that.
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »

I had a bit of the same problem when we moved here to St. Louis, with the exception that my wife and I shortly had kids and that cut down on my free time anyway.  However, I met some pretty good friends after I got into board gaming.  I joined a local gaming group through Meetup.com and started attending meetups and getting to know some people there.  After awhile I realized there were a few guys who I sort of "clicked" with, and we started naturally gravitating toward each other during game nights.  Eventually we decided to just skip the official meetups and get together on our own, since we could more easily plan for schedules, meet at someone's house, and be more comfortable.  So now 5-6 years later, I have a small group of 3-4 guys that I hang out with nearly every week, and we've become good enough friends to have families over for dinner, that sort of thing. 

Obviously this sort of approach depends rather heavily on who you meet.  I have a small martial arts training group that I meet with regularly, 1-2 days a week, and I've known them all for years and consider them all good friends.  We have a blast whenever we travel around the country together for seminars or training weekends.  However, we hardly ever do anything outside of practice.  Just sort of works out that way. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 06, 2011, 03:22:28 PM

* CeeKay flees
Is "Raibow" like Tae Bo?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2011, 05:38:49 PM »

Quote from: Boudreaux on July 06, 2011, 06:40:33 PM

I had a bit of the same problem when we moved here to St. Louis, with the exception that my wife and I shortly had kids and that cut down on my free time anyway.  However, I met some pretty good friends after I got into board gaming.  I joined a local gaming group through Meetup.com and started attending meetups and getting to know some people there.  After awhile I realized there were a few guys who I sort of "clicked" with, and we started naturally gravitating toward each other during game nights.  Eventually we decided to just skip the official meetups and get together on our own, since we could more easily plan for schedules, meet at someone's house, and be more comfortable.  So now 5-6 years later, I have a small group of 3-4 guys that I hang out with nearly every week, and we've become good enough friends to have families over for dinner, that sort of thing. 

Obviously this sort of approach depends rather heavily on who you meet.  I have a small martial arts training group that I meet with regularly, 1-2 days a week, and I've known them all for years and consider them all good friends.  We have a blast whenever we travel around the country together for seminars or training weekends.  However, we hardly ever do anything outside of practice.  Just sort of works out that way. 

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh.

Given the history in this thread (GR, Fireball, Ritt) I'm thinking Ron isn't looking to go to meat-up-dot-com.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 07, 2011, 05:36:53 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 06, 2011, 03:22:28 PM

* CeeKay flees
Is "Raibow" like Tae Bo?
Go suck on a ginger moose  Tongue

Because I can,
hispanicgamer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2011, 07:57:04 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 05, 2011, 09:25:55 PM

On the 'being fucked over' thing, I'm not prepared to say what happened, but suffice it to say that I trusted the person completely and considered him a great friend.  That turned into me making a very serious and sincere threat that I would put a bullet in his skull if our paths ever crossed again.  Yea, it's that bad.

I knew that U2KTheGreatest guy was trouble!  icon_biggrin

I'm about to become 50 next year and sometimes I go back and forth on the need for friends thing. Some really solid people that I have met have moved or we lost contact but would welcome them back into the fold if they ever got in touch with me. Most times, I enjoy being by myself and doing what I want . But then there is that ocassional time when I wish I had some one to talk to. My curse is that I am a good listener and people know that but when it's my turn to vent or talk, folks will try to steer it back to them. I think it's my age too that gets me feeling like I don't want to waste my effort trying to get a new buddy. That being said, making acquaintances with the running group I am in is great since we chat before and after we go out for our group run. Don't really feel compelled to invite them over though. Hard to explain why I don't feel the pull.

Happy belated birthday. It gets worse as you get older, I kid Ikid! icon_lol

" I enjoy Jizz in my pants as well. " - Harkonis
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 07, 2011, 05:57:19 PM

Go suck on a moose, gingerly  Tongue

FTFY

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »

Just so we're clear:  I do not have red hair.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2011, 09:21:12 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 07, 2011, 05:38:49 PM

Quote from: Boudreaux on July 06, 2011, 06:40:33 PM

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh.

Given the history in this thread (GR, Fireball, Ritt) I'm thinking Ron isn't looking to go to meat-up-dot-com.

bah, if Ron lived near me, we'd be *really* good friends.  I mean REALLY good.   icon_lol
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »

You did look sexy (albeit cold) with the inFamous bag. Tongue

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »

A lot of friends can come from the workplace, but in my experience this doesn't last too long. My wife and I don't really have many friends now days (2 kids makes it quite hard for a while), but our closest friends are some we met playing softball. None of us play anymore, but truly feel they are great friends.

Also wanted to say that this AZ heat must do something to people as this place seems to be filled with completely unfriendly people, at least when it comes to strangers.

LiveTAG: happydog
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »

Also wanted to say that this AZ heat must do something to people as this place seems to be filled with completely unfriendly people, at least when it comes to strangers.
I find this to be completely true. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »

Then there's something odd about that, as the heat in Texas hasn't been substantially worse, and people are generally friendly.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 11, 2011, 08:57:13 PM

Then there's something odd about that, as the heat in Texas hasn't been substantially worse, and people are generally friendly.

It's obviously not heat related.  Depending on where you are and what you look/act like, certain areas of the world are going to be far more friendly to you than others.  Personally I've found SF to be quite friendly, but actually find I've made had more random friendly encounters in NYC than anywhere else I've visited.  This is clearly against the NYC stereotype.

Of course Los Angeles is just terrible all around.  Everyone who lives there sucks.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2011, 11:00:24 PM »

Quote from: gellar on July 11, 2011, 09:00:28 PM

Of course Los Angeles is just terrible all around.  Everyone who lives there sucks.

The question really is do we swallow.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on July 11, 2011, 11:00:24 PM

I thought that cost extra.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2011, 03:12:28 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on July 11, 2011, 11:30:09 PM

Quote from: rittchard on July 11, 2011, 11:00:24 PM

I thought that cost extra.

No, I believe that is for competitive advantage.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2011, 03:59:07 AM »

Work friends... blech... I guess that's good when you are 21 and haven't yet come to the realization that like it or not you have to spend most of your waking time with those people.  When I leave work, I wanna leave work.

Activities related to shared interests seem to be the best friend making opportunities in my experience - I have two real groups of friends, those I met through music, and those I met through mountain biking/skiiing/doing stuff outdoors.  I'd echo the sentiments of people saying to seek out opportunities for casual interactions relating to your non-work interests.  If you are friendly, outgoing, and clearly open to hanging out, and not some weird creeper, the friends will come to you.  Once you get to know people, then the opportunities to do stuff with those people other than the stuff you met them doing will present themselves - hit a bar, go to a BBQ, whatever... now it seems like we never have a free weekend where different groups of people are scheduling different things at the exact same times.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: