http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 07:05:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Official 2009 American Idol Thread  (Read 18445 times)
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 07, 2009, 05:15:36 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 06, 2009, 08:11:28 PM

Quote from: Kemper Boyd on May 06, 2009, 04:41:01 AM

I'd love to see arrogant Gokey go home, but my gut tells me Kris is gone. He is a really cool street musician type guy, so he should be able to pull off some type off career out of this regardless. Plus I will miss rittchard's swooning...

lol, yeah typically my swoon picks get knocked off early.  As I said, Kris actually lasted a lot longer than I thought he might so that's cool. 

swwwwwooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!  Yeehaw the swoon continues one last week!

I was really surprised when Kris was announced first, though if you think about it, it's not too shocking.  Allison had been in the bottom 2 and 3 so many times, she likely never had the devoted voting blocks necessary.  That said, I would not be surprised at all if she ended up being more commercially successful than any of the others.  She has a great, raw voice, and great confidence for her age.  Give her Pink and Kelly Clarkson's songs/producers and she could have some major hits.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 07, 2009, 06:22:50 AM »

Well I'm sorry to see Allison go, she seemed to be getting a bit more comfortable with the show and that could only have helped her in the long run.  Producers again messing with the results by announcing Kris first even though he probably wasn't the top vote getter leaving us to ponder which of the 3 left was out.  So does Adam go emo with Madworld or rock out with Whole lot of love for his song choice or does he perform another new one?  I figure Danny will sing Hero to get the wife pimping going full speed and I have no idea what Kris will do.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 07, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »

Too bad she couldn't generate a rabid fanbase like the 3 guys. She's in that nether land with popularity for Idol. I think she's cute but she is no knock-out. So guys wont be hell bent for leather voting for her. And the girls are just too ga-gaa over the boys.

Talent wise in my opinion(age factored in)she's the best. Potential for a long lasting career is there. I hope she gets managed well.

I'm hoping she'll be one of those idols you hear more about than the actually winner.

Well done Allison.........YOU ROCK!!!!

Grace: Unmerited favor.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: May 08, 2009, 04:53:58 AM »

Sad to see her go, but I'll bet this is only the beginning for her.

YOU ROCK, GIRL!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 08, 2009, 06:38:02 PM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Is what I said when Alison got voted off - complete with me busting through some straps holding my arms and legs down. Or maybe those were my cats. Come to think of it I haven't see them around lately.

Anyways it sucks that she's gone from the competition but I read she's going to be performing on the finale. So yay. I do have to say her second run through of Cry Baby was a lot better than her original. She really seemed to loosen up and just let go with her exit performance. Guess it helps to have the pressure off.

The Cris Daughtry new song didn't do much for me. Just generic rock but he has a pretty decent voice.

Gwen is too old to be doing the No Doubt thing now. She looked silly stalking on and off stage at her age. It didn't help she seemed out of breath after coming down the steps at the start. But in the end it didn't matter as the drummer in the tutu showed it could have been far worse.

And WTF Paul? Kindly. WTF! That was a lip syncing disaster. Scott MacIntyre has nothing on you. Is it really that hard to flap your jaw when you hear your voice? Not enough practice doing it in the judges chair eh? Plus, you're a singer (sorta) and couldn't even manage to really sing in front of the contestants that you are judging? For shame! And didn't you realize there was something wrong with your recording? It had all this electronical/robotic twang to it. Poor Jamie Fox had that same issue. Someone at Idol needs to be fired ASAP as we couldn't hear either of you actually sing.

And yes I know that paragraph is directed squarely at Paula reading this. Who says she's not a Gaming Trend reader?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 08, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »

As soon as he said Kris was safe I knew Allison was gone.  It sucks, but you shouldn't pick a song where 90% of the performance is the same few words over and over again.  See Carly Smithson, "Crazy on You."  Ugh.

Paula's performance was horrible.  Needs more MC Skat Cat!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 13, 2009, 04:08:24 AM »

Final 3 - here we go!

Judges' Choice

Gokey - prances around, decent vocal but the dancing became a bit distracting.  Not great but good enough to keep him in.

Kris - gee I wonder who the producers don't want to continue?  Stuck in the crappy middle slot, what's he gonna do?  They give him Apologize, I'm excited!  But... he seems tentative and does a rather distant version only at the piano, David Archuleta style.  Judges agree, it's too similar to the original, not very Kris-like.  I still loved it much more than the Gokefest.

Glamby - So he gets the pimp third slot along with Simon's choice?  Gee I wonder who the producers DO want in the competition?  Simon gives him an awesome song, One - also one of my all time favorites.  Adam does a mixed slow/scream version and integrates all his mad skillz into one great performance.  Personally I love his voice when he does the soft pretty Mad World side, I almost wish he had just stuck with that.  But he knows his audience, so he shows off the screams as well.  Should be a sure thing.

Singers' Choice

Gokey - singing You are So Beautiful.  Decent vocal, but nowhere near as great as the judges seem to think.  I found it nice sounding but actually kind of boring.  The judges pimp him so hard his own big ego almost explodes.

Kris - goes with Kanye's Heartless.  Nice semi-risky choice - I just heard The Fray version of this song, I presume he did too and that's what he's gonna do.  He goes totally alone, acoustic - wow.  Now this is the Kris that we want to see.  He did his own version, I love it, as Randy said, better than The Fray and the original.  He proves himself an artist again and redeems himself for the competition.  Not enough to stay in it, but an awesome swan song for him.  Love love love is all I have for him.

Dambert - you know he has to have something big up his sleeve doesn't he?  Commercial break, lots of antici --- pation.  He goes with Cryin' from Aerosmith, hmmmm.  Whew, nice ending there!  I actually thought the range was a bit off and the beginning was kind of weird with some chick's voice messing the sound up.  But the second half was cool and some nice controlled screaming.  I actually think he could have done something more interesting, but this seems to be the zone they like him in, so in that sense I'd call it a pretty safe performance.

All in all, in spite of a brilliant artistic performance, possibly one of the best in Idol history, I don't see Kris taking Danny's slot, so it should be the predictable Gokey/Adam finale everyone expected from about week 2.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:11 AM »

Aside, this from VFTW:

Adam Lambert closes out the show for the third straight week (ya think the show wants him to win?) with some “early Aerosmith” as Kara would say (she’s so stupid). Adam’s performace of “Cryin” is even more off key than “One” because the backup singer is horrendous. Seriously. The woman is screaming things that aren’t real notes. So when Adam attempts to harmonize, he sounds terrible. This is beyond painful to listen to. I guess it’s a slight compliment to Adam though that he isn’t blending with the terrible backup singer. I would suggest firing her, but I’d like to keep her around for next year so all of the performances are even more cacophonous and hilarious. Paula says that Adam set the bar so high, he should be getting frequent flyer miles and flying for free now. Paula is clearly flying high right now, so she knows all about that. Simon then literally begs the viewers at home to vote for Adam. This is the most pathetic show of favoritism the show has ever presented. If people at home don’t vote for Adam, who cares? Simon says, “It’s very easy to assume you’ll sail through to the final next week. The show is about finding a star and I want everyone to not assume that you’ll be there and to vote for you based on talent.” Adam must now lose at any cost. When Simon sells his soul and puts aside his shtick to beg America to vote for someone for the first time ever, you know there’s something wrong here.

I have to agree the pimpage in this season is/was horrible.  Of course I'm still bitter the producers turned on Archie last year but at least it wasn't as blatantly obvious.  And speaking of which, how is it Adam was given the cover/cover story of Entertainment Weekly?  Aren't there any rules against that sort of thing?  Talk about unfair pimpage, ugh.
Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 13, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »

I thought that Kris had the best performance of the night with "Heartless". When I heard the song choice I figured it was going to be a train wreck - probably because I hate this song. Just brilliant and I loved this version. It is too bad he played "Apologize" so safe, but I bet he was worried about doing two guitar songs. I still think he could have pulled it off if he had played "Apologize" softly and then played "Heartless" the way he did it.

I'm not sure what Paula was thinking by dragging out a Terrance Trent D'Arby song that virtually no one has heard for Gokey. "Sign Your Name" would have been much better and he still could have rocked it out. I felt like Gokey was just yelling on the first song and he needs to ditch the crazy, Taylor Hicks dance moves. The second song was better but I just don't really like the guy, so meh for me.

I loved the first part of "One" and really wish Adam could control his urge to pull out the wail every fucking song. I think that the issue with the background singers is that his voice is so different from anything thing out there that they have a hard time harmonizing with him. "Cryin'" was pretty cool and a much more appropriate song for the wailing. The guy really does have incredible vocal control - he's kinda like a male Maria Carey with his unique vocal 'hook' that gets thrown in a few times too many.

The pimpage from Simon was pretty irritating and most of the judges were acting like 4 year olds last night. When Randy Jackson is the voice of reason, you know that your judging pool is getting shallow.

I want to see Kris and Adam in the final and I would love to see Kris take it all. He seems like the guy who could go the farthest as a solo artist. Adam needs a band and Gokey is just so pedestrian. Everybody is going to get an album out of this, so it hardly matters anyway.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 13, 2009, 03:48:18 PM »

I really did not enjoy any performances last night to be honest. I thought both of Adam's were really pitchy and same-ol-same-ol and thus really boring. He is a two-trick pony. His "mellow" range seems extermly limited and his "scream" sections are all almost exactly the same. I thought both of Danny's were a bit boring and not sung all the great as well. Chris was just Chris and so just boring as usual. While I think Adam should go home tonight, I am betting he picks up a healthy amount of Allison's votes from the rock/emo crowd, which should be enough to send Chris home.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: May 13, 2009, 04:35:28 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on March 12, 2009, 05:59:58 AM

Danny & Adam to the end!!

Bye Kris.

iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 13, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »

Quote from: Kemper Boyd on May 13, 2009, 02:58:35 PM

I thought that Kris had the best performance of the night with "Heartless". When I heard the song choice I figured it was going to be a train wreck - probably because I hate this song. Just brilliant and I loved this version. It is too bad he played "Apologize" so safe, but I bet he was worried about doing two guitar songs. I still think he could have pulled it off if he had played "Apologize" softly and then played "Heartless" the way he did it.

I'm not sure what Paula was thinking by dragging out a Terrance Trent D'Arby song that virtually no one has heard for Gokey. "Sign Your Name" would have been much better and he still could have rocked it out. I felt like Gokey was just yelling on the first song and he needs to ditch the crazy, Taylor Hicks dance moves. The second song was better but I just don't really like the guy, so meh for me.

I loved the first part of "One" and really wish Adam could control his urge to pull out the wail every fucking song. I think that the issue with the background singers is that his voice is so different from anything thing out there that they have a hard time harmonizing with him. "Cryin'" was pretty cool and a much more appropriate song for the wailing. The guy really does have incredible vocal control - he's kinda like a male Maria Carey with his unique vocal 'hook' that gets thrown in a few times too many.

The pimpage from Simon was pretty irritating and most of the judges were acting like 4 year olds last night. When Randy Jackson is the voice of reason, you know that your judging pool is getting shallow.

I want to see Kris and Adam in the final and I would love to see Kris take it all. He seems like the guy who could go the farthest as a solo artist. Adam needs a band and Gokey is just so pedestrian. Everybody is going to get an album out of this, so it hardly matters anyway.

I agree with a lot of this -- for a long time I thought Danny and Adam were much better than Chris -- now, I'm not so sure.  I think Chris has the most contemporary style of the three and could possible put out an album that I'd like.  Adam really did nothing for me last night.  I've been an Adam fan from the beginning, but I thought he was the worst of the three.  I hated his version of One, hated it.  I'll have to listen to it again, though, maybe I was just cranky.  Danny was boring Danny.  I love his voice, but he has not had one great performance all year.  Did not like his arrangement of You are So Beautiful - took all the power out of the song.  I enjoyed both of Chris' songs, they were the top two songs out of the six for me. 

Overall, I still think Adam deserves to win for his body of work, but he's wearing thin for me.  Chris just keeps getting stronger, while Danny has stayed right down the middle.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 13, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »

I don't get what people see in Lambert at all.  When they show the song clips at the end for the summary and they show Lambert doing "One" and "Crying" ... they sound exactly the same.  He could have been singing the same song - it's just the same, Bette Midler On Crack wail, on and on.

I'm a certified Bono-hater, but even Bono makes One sound like a melodic rock ballad.  Lambert makes it sound like something off of Cher's U2 tribute album.  Crazy.

I thought Kris was the best of the night and hope he goes on to win it.  I wonder what the tension is like behind the scenes, since Goeke and Kris have to live with the heavy pimpage going to Lambert.   
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 13, 2009, 08:41:51 PM »

I was just disappointed that when they announced One, it wasn't the Metallica version.

Formerly Sith Lord
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: May 13, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »

Quote from: Sith Lord on May 13, 2009, 08:41:51 PM

I was just disappointed that when they announced One, it wasn't the Metallica version.

Word!

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 13, 2009, 09:22:16 PM »

Quote from: jament on May 13, 2009, 07:45:17 PM

I don't get what people see in Lambert at all.  When they show the song clips at the end for the summary and they show Lambert doing "One" and "Crying" ... they sound exactly the same.  He could have been singing the same song - it's just the same, Bette Midler On Crack wail, on and on.

I'm a certified Bono-hater, but even Bono makes One sound like a melodic rock ballad.  Lambert makes it sound like something off of Cher's U2 tribute album.  Crazy.

I thought Kris was the best of the night and hope he goes on to win it.  I wonder what the tension is like behind the scenes, since Goeke and Kris have to live with the heavy pimpage going to Lambert.   

He actually reminds me of a higher pitched version of the singer for the old band, Journey. (not nearly as good I might add)

But they love him. And I think its his to lose.

Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 13, 2009, 10:46:12 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on May 13, 2009, 09:22:16 PM

He actually reminds me of a higher pitched version of the singer for the old band, Journey. (not nearly as good I might add)

Steve Perry wasn't half as flamboyant as Adam Lambert.

Formerly Sith Lord
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 14, 2009, 05:16:43 AM »

Yeah baby the swoonfest continues!!!!!!  Looks like another 2nd place finale for me lol, and I was hoping I didn't have to vote this year.

While I never thought it could happen, I actually wasn't surprised when it did.  I think the Gokester's scream, bad dancing and all around middle of the road performances finally finally did him in.  It's also never good news when you become the VFTW candidate and a joke/caricature as he did a couple weeks ago.  The big question is where do his votes go next week?

Dark horse Kris has his work cut out for him.   As much as I think it's already been decided (wtf was up with Katy Perry wearing an Adam Lambert cape?!?!  Bias anyone?), Kris has been underestimated week after week but has continued to impress when given the opportunity.  Keep in mind Adam was the one in the bottom 2 a couple weeks ago, and if you really think about it there's been a kind of same-y wearing thin of his scream/quiet trade back and forth.  Kris has been consistent throughout and mixed it up with different instruments and artistry, and a good portion of America likes a humble clean-cut contestant.  If he lets nerves get the best of him and plays it conservative like he did with Apologize, he's done.  But if he can pull one more trick out of his hat like he did with Heartless, then who knows?  Should be a fun finale.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: May 14, 2009, 05:26:35 AM »

eek eek eek eek Way to go Kris! Poor Danny.

Adam's getting his steamroller warmed up for next week.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04:13 AM »

Quote from: Sith Lord on May 13, 2009, 10:46:12 PM

Quote from: Arclight on May 13, 2009, 09:22:16 PM

Steve Perry wasn't half as flamboyant as Adam Lambert.

Which goes in favor of Steve.

Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 14, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on May 14, 2009, 05:16:43 AM

It's also never good news when you become the VFTW candidate and a joke/caricature as he did a couple weeks ago. 

Veteran of Foreign Total Wars? I'm lost on that one.

Formerly Sith Lord
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:50 PM »

1 million votes between the top 2. So if you look at where Gokey's votes might go you would tend to think Kris...
This could be interesting. nod

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 14, 2009, 02:46:44 PM »

VFTW = Vote For The Worst

Yeah, what they didn't mention is that 1.2 million of the vote spread were votes called in by Idol producers and interns.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: May 14, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »

Quote from: jament on May 14, 2009, 02:46:44 PM

VFTW = Vote For The Worst

Yeah, what they didn't mention is that 1.2 million of the vote spread were votes called in by Idol producers and interns.

Don't forget all those 6 to 16 year old girls that have cell phones with unlimited texting. They were punching buttons for Kris.

Adam deserves to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kris does.

Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:07 PM »

I'm OK either way. There are things I like and don't like about both of them. I do think that Adam's more consistently a better performer. I've never bought an AI contestant's album (though I think I borrowed Daughtry from my wife) and don't expect to buy either of these guys', so I'll be fine either way.

Formerly Sith Lord
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 14, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »

Quote from: PaulBot on May 14, 2009, 04:39:34 PM

Adam deserves to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kris does.

I'm not sure if I'd use the term "deserves", but Adam is a better performer.  However, I've appreciated Kris's artistic creativity, so I'd say that Adam is the best performer and Kris is the better artist.  Keep in mind, this is all subjective.  Adam has certainly surprised me a number of times on nights when he's really nailed it, but Kris has also continued to impress as well.  Danny was solid, and he did a nice job last night during his farewell song, but I've considered Kris and Adam to be the more skilled of the three.  Still, I'd be surprised to see Kris win, although up to this point I've been saying that Kris would continue to surprise people and he has all the way to the finals. 

I'm not ready to just hand over the trophy to Adam just yet.  Stranger things have happened.   

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 17, 2009, 09:34:45 PM »

Hey, it was worth watching Wed night if only for the Katy Perry performance.  Take THAT Paula!

Awesome and NOT lipsynched.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2009, 05:20:01 AM »

So whatchathink? Who's gonna win it? Adam deserves to, but I fear Danny voters will swing to Kris, and he may pull it off.

You better listen to Ryan's warnings and set them DVR's to record LONG! I've got mine set for 30 minutes extra.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 20, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »

I think the judges want Adam to win. I want Kris to take the gold.

I felt like the "Idol" song they both had to sing catered to Adam's vocal range rather than Kris's. But Kris did an admirable job of such a sappy, formulaic song.

I dunno Adam just started to feel like a one trick pony to me the last few weeks.

I wonder about Danny's votes as well. I'm hoping they do follow logic and most vote for Kris.

Adam has a huge career ahead of him anyway.............Broadway...Recording..touring...films\TV..........

I love when dark horses win.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 20, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »

The "Idol" song was big steaming pile of epic suck. God it was awful. Hurricanes and climbing mountains? My brain is melting. Plus, the suckitude was further enhanced with both guys singing it off key.

This season more than any other has driven my cynicism of the Idol machine completely over the edge. I can't watch this show anymore. It's just too maddening with the manipulation by the judges, the increasing insanity of the judges comments, the further distance from being about singing and more about high school level popularity. I'll record and watch tonight's finale but probably only watch the last 5 minutes since I expect the first hour and 55 minutes to be unbearable.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 20, 2009, 10:55:58 PM »

First Round: Though both players chose arguably their best songs, I thought like Simon that Kris won hands down.  Just a much more intimate performance from Kris on Ain't No Sunshine.  Adam was smart to bring out one of his best subtle performances of the year (my personal favorite from him), but I stil think Kris did an incredible job.  If he had saved this for the final performance, I think it might have won the whole thing for him.

Second Round: While I enjoyed Kris more, I though Adam won with more flair and energy and an interesting (though too screamy for me) version of Change Gonna Come.  Kris seemed a bit flat on What's Going On without enough changes to make it his own.

Third Round:  Horrible Kara song sung horribly by both contestants.  Terrible way to end the competition.  Adam was pitchy and all over the place.  Kris forgot a line or two but arguably did a bit better with it.  I think Kris should have switched it up strategically from Round 2 - do a vocal only there and then tried his more comfortable guitar version of this bad song to make it seem extremely different from Adam.  In fact I think he could have really Kris-ified this song and made it halfway decent but oh well.

All in all a decent competition.  I don't think Adam blew it out of the water the way people had hoped or expected.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say Kris gets just enough of Danny's conservative Christian votes and wins in the biggest dark horse/surprise voctory in Idol history.  Go Kris!!!
Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »

Holy crap, that was a shocker. Way to go Kris!

Formerly Sith Lord
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2009, 02:22:46 AM »

horrid tragedy. thumbsdown

Even Chris says during his 'acceptance' that Adam deserves this.

Well atleast Adam will shine while Chris will take the Taylor / Ruben exit stage left road. finger

Total joke - ignorant homophobes. finger

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Kemper Boyd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2009, 05:27:06 AM »

Wow...Gokey-vote FTW!

Kris was really solid and should be successful as a solo artist, but he doesn't have 1/10th the charisma of Adam. The cool thing about this year's idol is that there will probably be about 4 pretty decent albums and probably 2 stars that will hang on past that.

Great season this year...and Jorge really reminded me just how much he sucked.

On to Glee! and SYTYCD...woo!
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2009, 05:35:34 AM »

Quote from: Kemper Boyd on May 21, 2009, 05:27:06 AM

Kris was really solid and should be successful as a solo artist, but he doesn't have 1/10th the charisma of Adam.

+1! Kris is very lucky there were half a bazillion people who like him dialing their little fingers off until 1am PST last night.

How about that comment Ryan made to Bikini Girl? Priceless.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2009, 05:42:50 AM »

Quote from: Sith Lord on May 21, 2009, 02:11:40 AM

Holy crap, that was a shocker. Way to go Kris!

Didn't you read my post above yours?  Not a shocker at all.   icon_razz  Swooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!  For the first time in Idol history, the person I voted for in the final won!  Yes, that's right - I've backed every second placer since season 3 lol.

Analysis? Presuming they don't lie when they give numbers, last week's voting was within a million votes.  Even assuming Adam was ahead (which we don't know), it's not hard to imagine Danny's conservative and cougar voting blocks going straight (no pun intended) to Kris.  Moral of this story: never underestimate conservative Christian voting blocks, in ANY election.  And don't forget those Cougars too!

And the moral of American Idol?  Like Survivor, never get complacent or buy too much into your own hype machine.  This killed Gokey, who I contend would also have won over Adam in the final 2 had he not faltered so much in the final weeks. And once you really think about it, Adam himself also became complacent towards the end, maybe even a bit tentative or conservative in his choices.  His early unpredictability started showing as alternating weekly between soft and scream modes, then in the end blending soft/scream into the same performance (One and Change Gonna Come).  His promise to surprise the audience each week was actually left unfulfilled.  I still remember earlier in the thread where love or hate him, you couldn't wait to see what he would do next - something that waned in the later portion of the contest.  As I mentioned a few weeks ago, he never defined himself as an artist, it was like he was an amalgam of theater geek, diva queen, emo god, 80s rock star, fab glam guy - but honestly I was left wondering what kind of music he would sing in the "real" world...

And then in the final night, his Mad World redux was almost an exact duplicate of his earlier performance (see last year's Archuleta Imagine reprise which was equally equal) where Kris actually enhanced and improved his Ain't No Sunshine.  His second performance was great but predictable, following the same pattern he used the previous week on One.  And his inability to transform the winner's song (perhaps an impossible task) left him even more vulnerable last night.  He needed something (perhaps like tonight's dazzling and energetic performance with Kiss) to remind the audience of just how exciting and electrifying he might potentially be.

In the end, you might say Adam lost the competition as much as Kris won it.  Not to take anything away from my cutie pie Kris, but it was clearly Adam's to win or lose early on.  Kudos to Kris for staying in it, and just being a consummate professional, upping his game each week to win it all.
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2009, 06:49:03 AM »

I think Rittchard nailed the analysis. 

Personally, I was hoping that Adam would win just because I thought he brought the most originality to the table and he really did have an amazing voice.  On the other hand, I actually enjoy Kris's voice a little more -- not nearly the range or power, but his voice is just very pleasant to listen to -- I also admire his ability to actually play different instruments.

I wouldn't underestimate Kris's ability to put out a popular record either -- his voice and style is extremely contemporary and marketable.  Like Ritthcard, I'm more confused as to what type of music Adam will produce in the real world.

Anyway, I can see why people are let down by Adam's defeat, but Kris is no slouch.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2009, 08:59:08 AM »

The biggest surprise for me is that I enjoyed the final show as much as I did, when Adam started singing Beth and I realized K.I.S.S. was about to come on and sing with him I had to laugh and then watch it twice over, loved it.  Lionel Ritchie was good but a pretty uncomfortable song to sing in duet with Gokey, Allison and Cindi Lauper had a pretty good song performance as well.  Rod Stewart was a mess and I don't think he needed to be out there alone on stage singing Maggie May and lyrics about leaving school, dude school is long over for you dawg.  I liked the Carlos Santana number as well, it was funny seeing Allison glom onto Adam every time they were anywhere near each other on stage.

Good for Kris winning it all and beating out Adam, I didn't think he could do it and never really caught onto his abilities until late in the competition.  Neither one is a loser in this result as Adam will be in high demand, I think the losers will be the next season audience as I don't see another Adam coming along anytime soon.  Oh and Kara singing with Bikini girl (enhanced version) was pretty funny as well.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 21, 2009, 10:02:42 AM »

In the end its not "really" about talent..but persona. Lets face it there are more people voting that can relate and "agree" with Kris's persona over that of Fabulous Flamboyant Adam.

In the end I think it was Adam's out-there-ness that worked against him. Over the top don't win Idol.

Kris has talent and my wife and I were both pulling for him..We're your typical underdog lovers due to being one all our lives(like many of us) nod

It will all come down to management, if Kris is to be a big name in the recording industry.

I saw Jamie Foxx on Ellen last week and he said again he'd love to do a record with Kris.  We'll see.

Was it just our TV or did they bleep out part of the Black Eyed Peas performance?

Anyway I thought the finale itself was good. You can see how many performers want to be seen on AI these days.

Odin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 21, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »

I don't remember the previous years' Idol finales too well, which I think is an indicator that last night's kicked their asses. I was surprised at what a cavalcade of great artists they had on - that show had to cost a fortune. Sure was fun to watch though, especially on TiVo when I could skip past the ones I wasn't too interested in. Speaking of Black-Eyed Peas, aren't they supposed to have a well-endowed blond hanging around? She was the only thing about that group that I ever found interesting.

Formerly Sith Lord
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: