http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:27:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off we go, into the wild blue yonder! (Shipping AF May 02)  (Read 1092 times)
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2006, 12:50:14 AM »

I am going to be leaving behind everything that I know for the second time in my life. In retrospect I should have never come home, with my mom losing her mind and all. They 5150ed her and took her to the hospital which kept her for two weeks. The hospital released her before she was well due to the fact that the county only pays them when she is phychotic... So the hospital released her on the grounds that although she was still very delusional, she no longer wanted to kill me, and was thus suitable for release.

I talked to my AF recruiter in Utah and it looks like everything is a go for me to ship out on tuesday morning to MEPS. So, as far as I am aware, I am shipping off to the Air Force May 02, so in less then four days I will be a Trainee in the USAF.

So, I've been dealing with her shit for the last three weeks. Today I am going to have a friend pick me up and I wont be back until sunday night. I leave monday at 2 pm to go down to the San Diego MEPS.

I am scared shitless. I can barely do 20 pushups and my tailbone still hurts me when I try to do sit ups, but I can do them to one side or to another.

I have been jogging, walking and weight lifting to try to get ready for boot, I hope I will do well because my mom is going to be evicted from her house very soon. I've done everything I can for her but she is extremely resistant to help. This means that all my beloved cats will be put to sleep. I feel sick to my stomach that these cats that have been more family to me then my mom ever has will be put to sleep for my moms stupidity, but theres nothing I can do. All the no kill shelters in this area are full up...

All in all I am glad to be leaving though, I want to leave this town and the poisonous relationship with my mom and never look back.

I hope I can stick boot camp out and I hope that I can make a go of this, as this is basically all I have left.

Pull for me folks, Im all in.
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 01:10:03 AM »

Put the cats outside and run them off.

Take a pic of your mom with ya so you can look at it and try even harder knowing whats waiting back home if you dont.

And good luck. I hear the AF rocks.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 01:18:36 AM »

Drop the cats in a good neighborhood.    Someone will take them in.
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 03:25:39 AM »

If they are well behaved, a few well-placed "Free cats to good homes" fliers might help.
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 03:45:29 AM »

BTW, good luck in Boot Camp.

Always remember two things while you are in there, no matter how crappy it seems:

#1 - hundreds of thousands of people have passed boot camp.
#2 -  the hardest part is passing bootcamp.  Once you make it past that, it gets way better.
Arowyn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 04:08:44 AM »

Good Luck Drazz.  Remember the TIs are just playing mind games.  They are in your face, but don't let it get to you.

Sorry about your mom and the cats, but sometimes the only thing you can do is save your own life.  Take care.  You can get through this.  I think it was magic that advised about the glove thing (put your glove under your tailbone when you do sit ups) and it was good advise.  

You got through Job Corps and you can get through BMT, then things will get better for you.  Seriously.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 04:27:00 AM »

Speaking as a staff sergeant in the Air Force, I can tell you that Arowyn is absolutely correct; the TIs are there to mold you into an airman. Everything in Basic (at least while I was there) was designed to break you down and rebuild you so that you were able to function in a military environment. It's not brainwashing or anything, it's just them trying to teach you how to work in a chain of command and execute orders without question. My suggestion for you is to keep your mouth shut and your eyes open. The squeaky wheel gets all the shitty extra duties and a lot more attention from the TIs. Just learn what you need to do and do it without question. It's the ones that think they're smarter than their leaders that get into trouble. If you follow instructions, it's really not bad at all. I got a lot more sleep in basic than I did at tech school.

BTW, what's your job? If you went in as "open general", I hope you enjoy being a cop. Either way, best of luck, and we'll see you on the other side.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Blonco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 05:05:40 AM »

Another Staff throwing his opinion in the ring for you.  Get ready for some freaking heat and humidity in SA my friend.  Its been balls hot.  We have already had 3 days of 100+ temps with humidity.  I heard that they have changed basic to make it longer.  Gone are the days of folding t-shirts and attention to detail.  Its all about carrying a m-16(which you will hardly ever do unless you are a cop or a cop auggy).  Anyway...basic is a breeze.  Dont be the first on in or out of the call hall.  Do as much KP duty as you can and stay away from the Latrine Queen position.  Speaking from experience, its hard as hell to keep the shitters clean with 50 dudes living with you.

You're going to hell with gasoline pants on!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 05:06:43 AM »

Nothing wrong with being a cop. My dad was a Army MP in the late 1940's stationed in Germany. I think he had some of his best times there smile Beer, women, motorcycles smile I might have some little half folk over there smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 05:09:57 AM »

There's a difference between being in Germany and being in Iraq for 6-7 months out of the year. Besides, I know most of the cops here on Davis-Monthan AFB, and none of them are happy with what they do. Having followed the life of Drazzil for the past 4-5 years, I feel reasonably sure that he could do better.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 12:03:38 PM »

Drazz - I'm ex USAF.  If you have any questions whatsoever, no matter how small, I'll gladly answer them for you.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 01:41:43 PM »

This is good news!

Congrats, Drazzil.  You can barely do 20 pushups now, but when you come out you will be a physical specimen...ohh...you said Air Force...well in that case you'll know how to sit down really well. slywink

Just kidding.  This fabulous news and I hope it will turn out to be a major turning point in your life.

Stay out of harm's way!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »

Remember the TIs are just playing mind games. They are in your face, but don't let it get to you.

Absolutely! I can't go by boot camp, only the police academy, but it helped to have a mantra - if one of them is in your face, or your doing your 8 millionth pushup for the day, keep saying anything that will help you through. Mine was "this too shall pass, this too shall pass" sometimes with an "it's only temporary, it's only temporary" added in for good measure.  

I'm truly sorry that I didn't keep up with you Drazz, but I've had some misfortune at this end as well.  I didn't post it here, but besides me being sick all winter, my Dad was in and out of hosipitals and rehab all fall, winter, and spring, and passed away early March.  BTW, he was Air Force too, and had a stunning military ceremony - they really pull together for members and ex-members.  There were regular AF and retired volunteers, who did the flag ceremony, taps, 21-gun salute... and it was just perfect.  So you are going to a good group of folks, though it may not seem so immediately...

Remember us all while you're doing some of the mindless work, we're all pulling for you and will be thinking about you.  Get back in touch when you can and keep us up to date!

Good Luck, bud - I know you can do it!   Cool

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »

I am going in for command post.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »

Ooooh, interesting.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 05:54:23 PM »

When you get out of Air Force summer camp (I was in the Marines for 12 years so we make fun of you guys) and get to you're first assignment; go to school and get an education.  Take advantage of every thing you can offered by the base, I so kick myself in the ASS for not doing it when I was in the Marines.  The military will pick up the majority of the tab and put money into the GI Bill to use after you get out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: