http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Of Trolls and Tribulations: The Hobbit and LOTR Re-Read Discussion Thread  (Read 1528 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2007, 02:51:37 PM »

I've begun my re-read of The Hobbit, with plans to go through the whole series again- this will be my 2nd time- the first coming just after the release of the first movie.

I know many of you are rock bottom geek losers quite vell versed in Tolkien's world, so I'd like to use this thread as a place to ask questions and have a fine time at discussing it.

The first question I have has to do with Trolls.  In the Hobbit there's the famous exchange with the trolls Bill, Tom and Bert and how they capture all the dwarves. Eventually they get arguing over how to eat them and the sun comes up and bam they turn to stone.  Were they different kinds of trolls as they seemed rather capable of speech and thought and tactics...which is decidedly different from the trolls as presented in the movie AFAIK. Also there's no trolls turning to stone in any of the LOTR books...

Trolls play a prominent role in the warefare waged by Mordor and I know that in ROTK (my most recent visit to Middle Earth) that it says that Sauron blackens the skies so that his minions can fight even during the day.

This is fitting as it's night time when they siege Rohan in TTT (movie version).

However, in playing through BFME2, the trolls attack during the day (I know it's not cannon, but it should be true to the universe right?). 

So are there various types of trolls or are all susceptible to stone changing in the sun.

Also, what happens to orcs if they get in the sun?  The special ones (can't remember their names) made by Saruman can travel in the day and that's rather shocking to the FOTR.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 02:58:17 PM »

Wiki
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:06:04 PM »

I think I've read the series seven or eight times since I was 12, and I am oddly comforted that I didn't have any clue as to the answer of your question...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »

I have a question.  Why do hobbits cry all the time?  That just nearly ruined the movies for me.  Ah yes, and the hobbits are crying.  I just wanted to punch them.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 05:05:52 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 18, 2007, 05:03:56 PM

I have a question.  Why do hobbits cry all the time?  That just nearly ruined the movies for me.  Ah yes, and the hobbits are crying.  I just wanted to punch them.

You're a lawyer and know nothing of tears...other than it's something you make others have often. Fink!
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:36:47 PM »

How quaint you are, with your emotions and feelings!  My kind will crush you.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 05:49:21 PM »

Because hobbits are all closet homosexuals?  Personally, I can't stand hobbits, they nearly ruined LoTR movies for me.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:24:08 PM »

Personally, I can't stand hobbits, they nearly ruined LoTR movies for me.

I agree. They weren't nearly as bad in the books, altho I do get tired of Frodo wining all the time. That said I've read the LotR trilogy every year for the past 30 years and loved it every time.

Ye Olde Farte
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 06:56:06 PM »

i like the hobbits.  see, the hobbits in war are like the average everyday masses in war.  while the other near homicidal maniacs like aragon, the orcs, gimli et al are running around, frothing at the mouth, engorged sword in hand looking for something to kill the hobbits are wishing things just would be okay again. after its over they dont get to be kings or extend their territory.  they dont revel in the bloodlust and carnage of war, they just want to be home enjoying the simple things they already had. 

and in the end, its those hobbits that bear the most pain, suffer the greatest trials and eventually are the only ones who can win and end the war.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 07:04:13 PM »

Kinda like Iraqi civilians?   icon_lol

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 07:13:56 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 18, 2007, 05:49:21 PM

Because hobbits are all closet homosexuals?  Personally, I can't stand hobbits, they nearly ruined LoTR movies for me.

You realize there are no LOTR movies or books without hobbits, right?   saywhat

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 07:21:07 PM »

Merry and Pippin went through a lot more hardship, and became way more serious and strong, in the books than what was shown in the movies.  It was a pretty big contrast to the idiots they were prior to Sam and Frodo taking off.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 10:30:58 PM »

Whatever.  They cried.  All the time.

"Ohh Mr. Frodo.  Buh huh huh huh."

Pissed me off.

Oops, derailed ATB's thread.

Gamertag = IkeV
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 03:08:21 AM »

It's also worth noting that at the time of the writing and first publishing of The Hobbit, Tolkien had not placed that world fully in his mythology of Middle-Earth (from earlier writings that would become The Sillmarillion).  They were only put together after The Hobbit was successful and he was asked for a sequel.  Some aspects of this can be seen in inconsistencies like the orcs always being called goblins in The Hobbit while in the LOTR books it developed to be mostly just the hobbits who occasionally called them goblins or goblin-soldiers. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 03:42:44 AM »

saywhat

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 05:33:04 PM »

Took a few days off to play my DS and other games, but have been reading in earnest lately.

I'm about 130 pages in and am currently reading about Beorn.  What a wonderful character.  What brilliant writing.

Tolkein's stories are revered, of that there is no question, but I wonder if people recognized just what a brilliant writer he was. The prose is perfect.  The narrative is perfect.  It is detailed yet simple and conveys imagry and action and relationship and imagination in a way that no other person I've ever read has or can.

It makes me long to be in a place of such subtle magic and extraordinary characters: benevolent, but cautious; friendly but wary; hopeful but fierce; common but magical.

Wow.  Just so magnificent.

I so wish NL and PJ would work out their differences- I'd love to see his vision of The Hobbit on the screen.

I am so enjoying this re-read I can't stand it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 02:03:51 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 19, 2007, 03:42:44 AM

saywhat

I have to agree.  The Hobbits were the low part of the movies for me.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 27, 2007, 05:33:04 PM

...but I wonder if people recognized just what a brilliant writer he was.

Nah, you were the first.
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 06:24:31 PM »

I agree ATB it's a very good read.  I don't know if I feel that the writing is a perfect as you feel it is, but hey, that's a personal feeling and it's more than likely going to be different for everyone.  smile

You should try out the Shannara series sometime if you haven't before.  I loved them myself but I am an easy read and not real discerning in my reading choices and tend to read a bit of everything.  smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannara
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 09:28:52 PM »

You know who else I hated?  Tom Bombadil.  I also hated the way Tolkein would put in a long poem right in the middle there.  I felt like I would be missing something if I just skipped over it, so I would read it instead, seething with hate and anger.

Aside from the hobbits, Tom Bombadil and the poems, I thought they were a pretty good read.

Oh yeah, and how Gandalf got resurrected.  And how the whole thing was generally obviously derivative of Star Wars.

Hmm.  I think I kind of hated Tolkein.

Gamertag = IkeV
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 11:14:08 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on January 29, 2007, 09:28:52 PM

You know who else I hated?  Tom Bombadil. 

I thought Bombadil was entertaining and one of the keys to the entire story.

Aside from the hobbits, Tom Bombadil and the poems, I thought they were a pretty good read.

icon_biggrin

And how the whole thing was generally obviously derivative of Star Wars.

Uh...

Hmm.  I think I kind of hated Tolkein.

Indeed.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »

Finished Hobbit yesterday.  Don't remember liking it as much as I did this time.  I just love the world of Middle Earth.  Love it so very very much.

On to FOTR!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 10:49:45 PM »

well apparently no one appreciated my pun  crybaby

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 11:18:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 28, 2007, 02:03:51 AM

I have to agree.  The Hobbits were the low part of the movies for me.

well apparently no one appreciated my pun 

I'm sorry, I must have overlooked it  icon_biggrin
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 02, 2007, 08:16:23 PM

Finished Hobbit yesterday.  Don't remember liking it as much as I did this time.  I just love the world of Middle Earth.  Love it so very very much.

On to FOTR!

I tried rereading the Hobbit a few weeks back and was amazed at how 'childish' it seemed.  Not silly childish but on a level written to primarily appeal to children.  Make sense really since he wrote them first for his kids, but I find I can't get into that anymore. 

I originally read the entire series in my mid teens and found it to be the best thing written on earth at the time.  But since then, it just will not grab me anymore.  But I am glad you love it.  There is nothing like going back and reading an old favorite to find it fulfills even more.  I have some like that that I reread from time to time and I am amazed that they still deliver.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: