http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 08:35:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd Movie recommendations  (Read 809 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2005, 03:58:44 AM »

Stupid Stormtrooper post got me thinking movies.... Cool

I've got a couple of awesome recommendations for a few movies I've loved for a long time.

First : Running Time. Bruce Campbell the whole way through. It's not a continuous shot, however that's how it's presented (you can find the seams if you look hard enough).

Second : Dog Soldiers : One of the BEST horror / survival monster movies EVER. It has camp, some foreshadow, and some covert ops mixed in with the well-done special effects and memories of Night of the Living Dead. If you see it for $15US or less, let my powers of pursuation get you to buy it. yeah.

Third : Boondock Saints (special ed. DVD from Fox). You haven't seen this yet? K. Finish reading and posting, then get the damned keys and get out to the movie store. This one was blackballed from hitting the silver screen as it portays a couple of young men in violent acts (was made around the same time as Columbine). I'd spill the beans on the plot, but frankly, that would be me taking something away from you. Just accept the fact that they AREN'T schoolkids killing students. It's got Ron Jeremy, a food critic, and Willem Dafoe in a role where he's allowed to act. Go watch and enjoy.

You have at least 5.5hrs of watching already, and I've got one more for ya.

Fourth : Way of the Gun. I really liked this flick. Stuff happens that never happens in other movies... like jumping over walls to take cover and landing on beer bottles, or truly unique car chase scenes.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 05:31:28 AM »

havent seen the running time one but...

boondock saints is awesome, awesome movie - i second purges rec.  ditto way of the gun you gotta see this one too and for some reason most people havent heard of it - its great too.  dog soldiers is def worth watchin as well - you got some good pics up there im sure at least bds and wotg will find their way onto your top 10-15 if you watch em
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »

Watched Boondock Saints years ago, right after it hit video and wasn't very impressed.  Remember liking the rope bit, but I recall the rest being yet another failed attempt at being hip in the Quentin Tarantino or Guy Ritchie fashion.  You guys (the 'net geek collective) won't shut up about it, so I guess I'm gonna have to give it another try.  See if I was just in a bad mood that day or somethin'.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 05:56:51 PM »

I thought and think Boondock Saints was an awful awful movie, but I like enough crap myself not to rain on your parade biggrin I just don't know what you guys see in that mess of a movie.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 06:56:10 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I thought and think Boondock Saints was an awful awful movie, but I like enough crap myself not to rain on your parade biggrin I just don't know what you guys see in that mess of a movie.

If I only had a buck for everytime I hated a movie a lot of people loved, I'd have at least enough for lunch at Jack in the Box. smile Haven't seen Boondock myself, but my brother raves about it. The latest flick I hated but a lot of people enjoyed was War of the Worlds. Absolutely awful flick.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 10:29:09 PM »

I've shown that movie to at least two dozen people, and let me tell you, everyone enjoyed it.

That's not to say the movie is perfect, but I enjoyed the banter between the brothers and Rocko, and, I dunno, I've seen it so much and still like it.

now, lets focus on the other three.

Dog Soldiers - Go see it... even for non-horror fans, it's a terrific action / combat movie.
Running Time - wicked B&W telling of an ex-con, and his 90minutes after leaving prison.
Way Of the Gun - some truly unique scenes. It's in the same vein as some of the more popular Guy Richie flix (lock stock & 2 smoking barrels)

Since we've closed off Boondock, here's another one :

Zatoichi (zat-o-each-ee) [the blind samurai]- The fights are terrific; the music is great (with only one lame dance scene at the end) and the characters are pretty well developed.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 12:14:30 AM »

I actually dug Way of the Gun for the most part, but somewhere along the way it just lost me. I'll borrow my brother's copy of Boondock at some point. As for Dog Soldiers, I've actually had it sitting on my DVD shelf for the last year and change, but have yet to watch it. Been meaning to, just haven't yet. Cool. I'll probably get to that one some night when the wife is occupied with school work. biggrin

I'm trying to think of off-beat films, and the one I come back to is a romance called "For Rosanna" with Jean Reno and Mercedes Rhuel. Great, great romantic comedy that's actually touching and funny, something few romantic comedies can actually say. ;-)

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 06:07:47 AM »

Seen a couple of 'em.

I enjoyed Dog Soldiers for what it was - low budget foriegn horror flick - but it didn't leave a lasting impression as I don't really remember much of it.

The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi (assuming you're referring to the 2003 Takeshi Kitano film) I've seen far more recently, and enjoyed the hell out of it.  Particularly liked Kitano's portrayal of Zatoichi.  Great mix of humor and pathos in that.

Turns out Way of the Gun is in my Netflix queue at position 193.  I'll move it up a bit.  biggrin  Alas, Running Time is nowhere to be found via the service.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 08:00:41 AM »

Coincidentally I own three of your initial picks on DVD.

I saw Boondock Saints and never really caught on to what was so magical about it.  I didn't hate it, but it didn't really leave a lasting impression beyond "this is what people were clamoring for on DVD?"  If I recall, this came out in Canada long before the US and people were all about importing it.  Not very memorable in my mind beyond having Willem Dafoe in it.  I think he had a badass tattoo or something...

Way of the Gun -- I really enjoyed this movie.  It was a fun film  and really brought my whole "gringo desperado's last stand in ol' Mexico" idea to the screen.  A lot of interesting actors I recall from other shows/movies in there.  I recall this one got pretty bad reviews for some reason when it came out.

Running Time.  Haven't seen it but it has been on my shelf for years.

I've never even heard of Dog Soldiers.  Might have to check that out since I have a friend that's really into that kind of movie.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 02:40:23 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi (assuming you're referring to the 2003 Takeshi Kitano film) I've seen far more recently, and enjoyed the hell out of it.  Particularly liked Kitano's portrayal of Zatoichi.  Great mix of humor and pathos in that.

The movie had a very natural flow to it, and they gave you enough main characters to get that "pulp fiction" story flipping (although thankfully it is all chronological) and still bring all the story together without feeling forced, or dragging on too long. I loved the two scenes where they're travelling down the road and the guys are working in the fields. That felt unique (or I've been underexposed to this kind of thing).

I find horror movies to be either too slow, too many stupid mistakes, too goofy to take seriously or too disturbed to enjoy. Dog Soldiers avoided most of those traps (and any "Stupid mistakes" were well expressed as stress-induced from people who no longer had all of their mental facilities).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: