http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 09:01:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OctoCon III - Chicago - October 4th  (Read 2152 times)
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:44:43 PM »

Hey gang...as much as I dislike crossposting betweek here and OO, I did want to extend an invitation to anyone that doesn't read those forums to attend OctoCon III in Chicago.

Basically, it's a ultra-casual get together of OOers and friends and spouses where we sit around for a full day and play board games and card games and minis games and RPGs and whatever the heck else we want to play.  Runs from 9 AM to Midnight, no cost, but if you feel like leaving a donation in the basket for my church to cover the use of the hall, that's cool.

Anyway, details are here.  I'll be watching this thread as well for folks that want to attend, and answer any questions.  The more the merrier!  Break out your games and come on over!
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 08:09:40 PM »

I'll be there in full costume signing autographs from 9 am to 10:30 am.  After that I'll be hanging around in a speedo, heckling players.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:23:51 PM »

Psst!  Hepcat!  We're trying to get people to come to the con, not chase them away!!!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »

If I show up in a cop outfit and place a boombox on one of the tables...run like hell.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:33:41 PM »

Anyway...please ignore Hepcat.  It's what we always do.

If you want to see some pictures from the last OctoCon, click here.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 09:36:54 PM »

Wish you were doing something this weekend, but I should be able to make it that weekend.  I doubt I'll have my copy of BSG by that time though.   crybaby

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »

Quote from: Graham on August 27, 2008, 09:36:54 PM

Wish you were doing something this weekend, but I should be able to make it that weekend.  I doubt I'll have my copy of BSG by that time though.   crybaby

Good deal!  Looking forward to meeting you.  PM me if you need any specific details.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:28 PM »

Quote from: Graham on August 27, 2008, 09:36:54 PM

man, i really wanna try BSG.  it was snapped up so quick at gencon that i actually saw a faint, smoke shaped figure of the box for a few minutes at the FFG booth....

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 01:18:28 PM »

Just a friendly bump as we are getting closer to the event.  Also, we added a few more games that are going to be available.  Hope some of you can make it!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »

Is the location close to a Metra stop?  I might need some alternative transportation now, though I might be alright by then.

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »

Quote from: Graham on September 09, 2008, 06:03:31 PM

Is the location close to a Metra stop?  I might need some alternative transportation now, though I might be alright by then.

It isn't close to a Metra stop, but it isn't too rough to get to via the blue line.  I do live very close to the Milwaukee North rail line and the Jefferson Park blue line stop, so I could always pick you up.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 08:04:19 PM »

as could i on my way there.  although i have to warn you:  i love show tunes.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »

Well, I hyperextended my foot on Friday and got a boot put on it yesterday.  (My entire foot is a nice shade of yellow, red, and blue.)  I think that I will be out of it by then, but I'll let you guys know.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »

bump

Saturday after next.  Don't forget to keep hydrated during the event.  Special ponchos designed to hold in moisture will be dispensed at the door.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 02:31:24 AM »

I may just be in. I just got back from my honeymoon, though, and things are fucking nuts around here at the moment.

PSN ID: EduardoX
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 03:43:11 AM »

Hope you can make it, Eduardo.  Haven't seen you in an age and a half.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »

I'll try to make it in.  My wife might take me in and then stay by a friend's place for the day.

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 06:43:19 PM »

Keeping my fingers crossed you can make it, Graham.  Always a good time to be had!  If you need more specific directions, or what my cell phone number, PM me.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »

My friend wants to move on Saturday, and wants my help. I told her I was busy, but we'll see if that sticks....

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2008, 02:08:32 AM »

Well, my wife said that I can go (she needs to drive me, since I'd have to take the Metra into the city and then take the blue line most likely), so I don't think I'll be there from 9:00 AM to Midnight.  I have a wedding to go to on Sunday and we have errands and other things to get done.

Here are some games that I can bring along if anyone is interested

HeroScape (looks like someone else is bringing it along so we should have land, but I could bring my characters along)
Nexus Ops
StarCraft
Risk 2210 A.D. (and a few other versions of Risk)
Settlers
Shadows over Camelot
Ticket to Ride and the 1910 expansion
Catch Phrase

I could bring my 360 and Rock Band if people wanted too, although someone else needs to handle the drums.  Any requests?

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »

Quote from: Graham on September 30, 2008, 02:08:32 AM

Well, my wife said that I can go (she needs to drive me, since I'd have to take the Metra into the city and then take the blue line most likely), so I don't think I'll be there from 9:00 AM to Midnight.  I have a wedding to go to on Sunday and we have errands and other things to get done.

Here are some games that I can bring along if anyone is interested

HeroScape (looks like someone else is bringing it along so we should have land, but I could bring my characters along)
Nexus Ops
StarCraft
Risk 2210 A.D. (and a few other versions of Risk)
Settlers
Shadows over Camelot
Ticket to Ride and the 1910 expansion
Catch Phrase

I could bring my 360 and Rock Band if people wanted too, although someone else needs to handle the drums.  Any requests?

I think Shadows over Camelot and TtR would both go over well.  For my money, bring those.  That way I don't need to bring them myself.  smile  As far as the 360 and Rock Band, we had some guitar heroing going on last year during the down times, so that would probably go over well too.  I'd say bring your favorites, the things you have the most desire to play.  Thats what I do.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 01:06:41 AM »

I am officially in. I may be late, but I won't be helping move all day, if I help at all.

I can bring:
Robo Rally
Last Night on Earth
Illuminati
Junta (which I've never gotten a chance to play)
Battlelore

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 01:21:20 AM »

Well, I will probably be able to make it for only part of the day.  Are most people there going to be there in the afternoon and evening?  We have some stuff we need to get done around the house, but I really can't help out at all.  She's going to drive me out though and drop me off.

I would love to let you guys play StarCraft, but it almost needs an afternoon for a new group of six players.  Maybe some other time.

I can bring Shadows and Ticket to Ride pretty easily.  Anything else?

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:51 AM »

I just got the Merlin's Company expansion for SoC tonight.  Late birthday present.  I was planning on bringing Last Night on Earth, but if you want to handle it, Eduardo, I'll leave that one in your hands.

And we'll be gaming all day, from 9ish to midnight, so show up whenever you can, Graham. 
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 06:50:26 PM »

Merlin's Company is a great expansion for SoC.  Having two traitors really changes the gameplay and how suspicious you are of others.

I'll see how early I can get there.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 11:26:30 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on October 01, 2008, 04:52:51 AM

I just got the Merlin's Company expansion for SoC tonight.  Late birthday present.  I was planning on bringing Last Night on Earth, but if you want to handle it, Eduardo, I'll leave that one in your hands.

And we'll be gaming all day, from 9ish to midnight, so show up whenever you can, Graham. 
Nah, go ahead. There's a chance I'll be biking up there, and it'll be tough to carry.

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2008, 11:31:01 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on October 01, 2008, 11:26:30 PM

Quote from: hentzau on October 01, 2008, 04:52:51 AM

Nah, go ahead. There's a chance I'll be biking up there, and it'll be tough to carry.

OK, If you're biking, don't worry about bringing anything.  We'll have plenty of games there.  And I'll beging LNoE and Growing Hunger.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 02:24:15 AM »

If I lived closer, I'd be very in for this. I recently added The D6 Generation to my list of podcasts, and I'm hankering for a resurgence of game nights. (And am chomping at the bit to try out the new Battlestar Galactica game.)

Hope you all have a great time.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 02:32:50 AM »

I think I would be happy to spend the entire 15 hours playing Agricola.  I finally was able to play last night, and I love this game!
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »

I was actually hoping to be able to crash this tomorrow, but it doesn't look like I am going to be able to.

I'm very curious about  Agricola.

ALSO, for you Chicago folks.   Where do you all get your boardgames these days?   With the closing of the Gamer's Paradise, I haven't a clue where to shop.   Are we just left with on-line shopping now?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:07:56 PM by Unagi » Logged
hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 04:14:50 PM »

Quote from: Unagi on October 03, 2008, 04:04:52 PM

I was actually hoping to be able to crash this tomorrow, but it doesn't look like I am going to be able to.

I'm very curious about  Agricola.

ALSO, for you Chicago folks.   Where do you all get your boardgames these days?   With the closing of the Gamer's Paradise, I haven't a clue where to shop.   Are we just left with on-line shopping now?

Damn, Unagi!  If you have any chance to make it come on by!  It'll be all day, so drop by if you can.

And the only gaming store I go to anymore is Games Plus out in Mount Prospect.  Really good store.
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 05:56:55 PM »

I really will make an effort to, if nothing else, drop by and get to meet a few of you.

Re:  Board Game Stores, I just stumbled on this place:

I just looked this up and may try and check them out.

(far Northwest Bucktown area (Armitage and Western roughly)

http://www.catandmousegamestore.com/
Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 06:02:03 PM »

Quote from: hentzau on October 03, 2008, 04:14:50 PM

And the only gaming store I go to anymore is Games Plus out in Mount Prospect.  Really good store.
That's actually close to my Grandmother's place... like really close.   Things are looking good for Grandma.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 10:51:44 PM »

Quote from: Unagi on October 03, 2008, 05:56:55 PM

I really will make an effort to, if nothing else, drop by and get to meet a few of you.

Oh, wow! That's less than a mile from me, I think. I'll have to go check it out and try to make friends with the staff.

Unagi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2008, 12:16:41 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on October 03, 2008, 10:51:44 PM

Quote from: Unagi on October 03, 2008, 05:56:55 PM

Oh, wow! That's less than a mile from me, I think. I'll have to go check it out and try to make friends with the staff.
Yeah, I was shocked to discover them there.  They just opened about a month ago (only have a canvas sign strapped above their door).
Don't count it against them that they don't have Agricola.  I just bought their last box.   icon_twisted
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008, 03:31:59 PM »

I was disappointed that I couldn't stay longer, but it was fun! Thanks, hentzau for putting it together.

hentzau
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »

No problem, Eduardo!  Sorry you couldn't stick around, and that I didn't have time to get the Wings of War game in the air!  Glad to see you again though!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: