http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 05:31:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: O'Really is going to have fun with this one.  (Read 1690 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2006, 12:38:55 AM »

http://www.kiro710.com/Article.asp?id=168764&spid=7564

In his "War on Christmas" section tonight.. I can feel it.

I like the Mayor of the city next to ours. They have a nativity scene up each year.. One year a couple bored soccer moms decided to complain on behalf of non-christmas celebrating people everywhere.  The mayor in no uncertain terms told them to "Fuck off".  He was re-elected in a landslide the very next year.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 12:43:32 AM »

If you look at it, doesn't it discriminate against the people who do celebrate Christmas?

Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 01:30:02 AM »

Too little information to draw a conclusion.

For a honest person, at least.  I'm sure Mr. Looftah will have a coronary over it.

Popehat, a blog.  Now 35% less ugly!
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 02:01:31 AM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on December 10, 2006, 01:30:02 AM

For a honest person, at least.  I'm sure Mr. Looftah will have a coronary over it.

I know, I usually don't say anything against anyone's beliefs...I was brought up in a household that is pretty accepting and tolerant of a lot of things.  I just don't understand how people can cause a ruckus over something silly  :icon_sad:

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:22:26 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on December 10, 2006, 02:01:31 AM

I know, I usually don't say anything against anyone's beliefs...I was brought up in a household that is pretty accepting and tolerant of a lot of things.  I just don't understand how people can cause a ruckus over something silly  :icon_sad:

People just want attention.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 03:22:57 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 10, 2006, 03:22:26 AM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on December 10, 2006, 02:01:31 AM

People just want attention.

Yeah, I noticed that.  Don't they have something constructive to do? Tongue

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 03:35:44 AM »

Hmm, what does measles have to do with Xmas? (Guessing they moved/deleted the original story).
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 05:11:12 AM »

Nice try on them..  Heres another one.

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_120906WABxmastreesEL.11b0d0cc.html#

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 05:35:52 AM »

Makes me sad that I live in Seattle....but then again, we just put up the Christmas tree and I'm putting up lights tomorrow!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 06:45:31 AM »

ummm, all I'm getting is:

Measles Found in Seattle Traveler

Seattle & King County Public Health said Saturday night it had confirmed a case of measles in an adult traveler who acquired the disease abroad. The ill traveler flew to Seattle on Alaska Airlines flight 399 yesterday and promptly sought medical attention. Public Health says the risk to the public from the case is low because the infected traveler visited only a small number of public areas in the county. Most King County residents born before 1957 had the disease in childhood and younger people are routinely vaccinated against measles.

[edit:  perhaps I should pay attention to Lee.......]

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 03:13:52 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on December 10, 2006, 05:11:12 AM

Nice try on them..

saywhat

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 03:37:01 PM »

I Can't comment on the first story either, as I got the measles story too.

However, as for the 2nd story, there was an alternative presented to them (actually, that article reads that it was the original goal): allow a different faith whose Holy observance coincides with the christian holiday to put up an observation of their own faith.  I fail to see how that was an unreasonable request, unless idiot christian fundamentalists* now define religious persecution as 'being unable to pound our message and ONLY our message at the masses, and no other religion gets to speak up for itself'.

*For the duration of this holiday, I will temporarily make a stab at the anti-christian duties of the departed Mr. Ebonstone.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 04:35:39 PM »

I celebrate Christmas with my friends and family.  Every year, as far back as I can remember, I've been free to decorate the inside and outside of my home in whatever fashion I choose, free to listen to as many Christmas carols as I like, and free to purchase as many Christmas presents as I want.

Can someone explain exactly why I'm supposed to feel that "my holiday is under attack!" just because my local pharmacy, town hall, or airport isn't decorated exactly the same way?  Why do a segment of conservative pundits believe that my traditions are so weak and confused that unless I see them reflected in every possible corner of my community, I'll somehow forget to celebrate them?

-Autistic Angel
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 05:35:28 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 10, 2006, 04:35:39 PM

I celebrate Christmas with my friends and family.  Every year, as far back as I can remember, I've been free to decorate the inside and outside of my home in whatever fashion I choose, free to listen to as many Christmas carols as I like, and free to purchase as many Christmas presents as I want.

Can someone explain exactly why I'm supposed to feel that "my holiday is under attack!" just because my local pharmacy, town hall, or airport isn't decorated exactly the same way?  Why do a segment of conservative pundits believe that my traditions are so weak and confused that unless I see them reflected in every possible corner of my community, I'll somehow forget to celebrate them?

-Autistic Angel

I think it more to do with a lot of people think that being PC is going over the top,especially at Christmas time.

PS I hate the Easter bunny!

Ye Olde Farte
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 07:28:08 PM »

Quote from: dbt1949 on December 10, 2006, 05:35:28 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 10, 2006, 04:35:39 PM

-Autistic Angel

I think it more to do with a lot of people think that being PC is going over the top,especially at Christmas time.

With all respect, dbt -- and I have an enormous amount for you -- that does not even remotely address Angel's point.

Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »

By the way, as a riff on the general subject of the treatment of Christmas culture, I heard about and quickly glanced at a book today that is going on my Amazon list:  The Sacred Santa.  The professor talking to our church's parent group today -- on the general subject of preserving the Christian religious/spiritual elements of Christmas -- talked about a lot of it.  It's fascinating.

dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 08:00:20 PM »

Wait until you get to be my age and your comprehension skills disappear,then you'll understand.

or maybe not. I'M SO CONFUSED! :icon_confused:

Ye Olde Farte
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 08:37:55 PM »

Quote from: Mr. Fed on December 10, 2006, 07:32:15 PM

By the way, as a riff on the general subject of the treatment of Christmas culture, I heard about and quickly glanced at a book today that is going on my Amazon list:  The Sacred Santa.  The professor talking to our church's parent group today -- on the general subject of preserving the Christian religious/spiritual elements of Christmas -- talked about a lot of it.  It's fascinating.

Why not check out the heart warming tale of The Last Christmas instead? icon_twisted

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 02:21:09 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on December 10, 2006, 08:37:55 PM

Quote from: Mr. Fed on December 10, 2006, 07:32:15 PM

Why not check out the heart warming tale of The Last Christmas instead? icon_twisted
Is that the Christmas that I gave you my heart, and the very next day you gave it away?   crybaby
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 06:44:30 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on December 10, 2006, 03:37:01 PM

However, as for the 2nd story, there was an alternative presented to them (actually, that article reads that it was the original goal): allow a different faith whose Holy observance coincides with the christian holiday to put up an observation of their own faith.  I fail to see how that was an unreasonable request, unless idiot christian fundamentalists* now define religious persecution as 'being unable to pound our message and ONLY our message at the masses, and no other religion gets to speak up for itself'.
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise, who would object to other religious symbols being displayed in public view, as long as Christian symbols are given the same leeway.

I just find it ridiculous that anyone would be offended by being told "Have a Merry Christmas".  If someone said "Happy Hanukkah" or "Have a sexy Kwanzaa" to me, I'd smile and say thanks... it certainly wouldn't *offend* me.  What kind of thin skinned individual would be offended by that?
Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 08:18:58 PM »

Quote from: Laner on December 11, 2006, 06:44:30 PM

Quote from: Big Jake on December 10, 2006, 03:37:01 PM

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any Christian, fundamentalist or otherwise, who would object to other religious symbols being displayed in public view, as long as Christian symbols are given the same leeway.

I just find it ridiculous that anyone would be offended by being told "Have a Merry Christmas".  If someone said "Happy Hanukkah" or "Have a sexy Kwanzaa" to me, I'd smile and say thanks... it certainly wouldn't *offend* me.  What kind of thin skinned individual would be offended by that?

And yet, when professional moron Dennis Prager said that a new Congressman was destroying America if he took his oath of office on the Koran (for he is a Muslim) rather than the Bible, there was a roar of approval from the hard political and religious (Christian) right.

(Edit:  this does not suggest that this the way MOST Christians would react, but that it is overstated to say one would be "hard pressed" to find someone like that).
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 08:20:43 PM by Mr. Fed » Logged

Mr. Fed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 11:27:16 PM »

Quote from: Laner on December 11, 2006, 06:44:30 PM

I was hard-pressed to find this, in the sense that I had to read the Drudge Report:   icon_wink

Comments made on the record at a Nov. 20 council meeting by Councilman Stephen Vengrow touched a nerve among some of the borough's nearly 12,000 residents.

Vengrow, re-elected in November to another three-year Borough Council term, said during the meeting that New Providence was a "Christian town." The phrase was said during a council discussion of holiday decorations, specifically a Hanukkah banner with a menorah illustration that the year before had hung across the street from Borough Hall, and near a decorated "holiday tree."

Later elaborating on his comments, Vengrow said, "This town is a white Christian town in a Christian nation."

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 11:29:26 PM »

I have come to the conclusion that there are extremists on both sides...it is side how people in the same neighborhood can't get along.  I see why humans in general cannot get along.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 03:15:55 AM »

Well they put the trees back in Sea-Tac.  And to clear things up, the paper today said that the rabbi didn't request that they pull down the Christmas trees, he just wanted the right to put up the menorah also.  He/they will not be suing (which was a threat used after weeks of getting stonewalled), but Sea-Tac officials are apparently still not going to be putting up a menorah and have said "We'll talk next year".  Way to go, guys. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: