http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 09:59:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How Many Sodas do you consume in a typical week?
7+

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Number of Sodas per week.  (Read 4853 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2006, 12:23:03 PM »

As I embark on a soda free October, I'm curious as to how vice addled my fellow GTers are.

I typically allow myself 2 sodas per week, but there are times that a meal- at least in my mind- requires one.

Mexican food (specifically Taco Bell), Pizza...hamburgers and hotdogs with chips.

As The Dew is my preferred soda, if I stand firm this month, I can effectively eliminate 1530 calories from my diet (4.5 weeks x2 MT Dew (170 cals per) = 1530.

Not too shabby.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »

Zero.  I gave it up completely last year.  Soda tastes horrible to me now. My wallet appreciates that. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »

Probably a little less than a twelve pack plus the occassional soda when we go out to eat (I normally have unsweetened tea at restaurants).  No calories though- I prefer diet sodas. 
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »

I used to go through a 24 pack of pepsi a week. It wasn't too bad on the wallet as walmart sells 24 packs for $4.99.
Put on a few extra pounds becuase of it so I cut back drastically earlier this year.
Now I'm about the same as you, maybe two per week. I switched over to mostly water, iced tea, and lots of gatorade. (I work at a hot jail so I'm constantly drinking it to replenish myself)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 12:32:18 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2006, 12:23:03 PM

I typically allow myself 2 sodas per week, but there are times that a meal- at least in my mind- requires one.

Mexican food (specifically Taco Bell), Pizza...hamburgers and hotdogs with chips.

As The Dew is my preferred soda, if I stand firm this month, I can effectively eliminate 1530 calories from my diet (4.5 weeks x2 MT Dew (170 cals per) = 1530.
Are your two sodas/week always cans of soda? I'm only curious because you mention eating at Taco Bell.  A single cup of soda at the self-serve fountain could easily be 24 ounces (2 cans) or even more if you ever get refills.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 12:37:36 PM »

0 here, don't like the stuff anymore.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 01:21:40 PM »

I tend to drink 1 or 2 a week, but I stick to the caffeine free variety. Sprite and the like. And 9 times out of ten when I do drink sprite I mix it with Orange juice, so it's at least halfway balanced out.

Kickin' the caffeine habit really made a big difference in how well I sleep and just how I feel in general.

But I was on the extremely high end of the spectrum for soft drinks before. I probably went through 30 or so 12 oz. cans a week between home and work.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 01:26:29 PM »

I had pretty much cut soda out of my diet completely... then I came back to college.  Now I drink 3-4 a week.  Sometimes more if I'm working several overnight shifts/trying to finish a paper/presentation.  (oddly enough, that's what I'm doing now.  Which begs the question... why the hell am I sitting on GT??)

Pikachu, I Blame you!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 01:30:25 PM »

I average about 1.5 cans per day.  The only reason it's higher is because I can't brew coffee while working night-shift, so I gotta have a couple of soda's instead of one.  I like to limit myself to one can a day.

Coffee...on the other hand...couple pots a day.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 02, 2006, 01:30:25 PM

Coffee...on the other hand...couple pots a day.

I'm in the same boat.  During the week, 24 oz cup in the morning, 20 oz cup in the afternoon, brew a pot after dinner (though it's rare that I polish off the entire pot.  2/3 is probably pretty typical). 

On weekends, full pot in the morning and usuallly a full pot at night. 
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 01:35:30 PM »

I allow myself as much soda as I want; but I'll go a month with none then have a week where I have three...

And yeah -- coffee is totally a different topic.  I average 16 ounces a day there.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 02:22:20 PM »

This

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 02, 2006, 01:33:40 PM

Probably a little less than a twelve pack plus the occassional soda when we go out to eat (I normally have unsweetened tea at restaurants).  No calories though- I prefer diet sodas. 

+
I'm in the same boat.  During the week, 24 oz cup in the morning, 20 oz cup in the afternoon, brew a pot after dinner (though it's rare that I polish off the entire pot.  2/3 is probably pretty typical). 

How is it that you are not:

1. Suffering absolute kidney/liver failure
2. Dead

?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 02:23:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 02, 2006, 12:32:18 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2006, 12:23:03 PM

Are your two sodas/week always cans of soda? I'm only curious because you mention eating at Taco Bell.  A single cup of soda at the self-serve fountain could easily be 24 ounces (2 cans) or even more if you ever get refills.

Oh I know it!

I have been to TB possibly 4 times this year so it's not a frequent occurence.  But yes, it throws off the curve something fierce on those weeks.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 02:31:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2006, 02:22:20 PM

This

+

2. Dead

?

Don't know what the big deal on sodas is- if having less than 12 a week leads to kidney failure and death then I imagine a large portion of the US population wouldn't be here.

As for the coffee- if it starts having an adverse effect on my health, I'll cut back but, as is, I love it way too damn much. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »

very little soda.  I usually drink Vitamin Water when at work (I can get it for the same price as a 20 oz coke).  Now if you were talking beer, well, we're not so  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »

quit drinking soda's a year go when we started getting bottled water delivered to the house.

Here is something to think about.  Guy I work with plays tennis with a guy that works as a chemist.  At the end of a match the guy I know grabs a diet soda and the chemist takes a regular one.  The guy asks the chemist, who is into fitness, why he isn't drinking diet.  He said I know whats in it and its basically brewed up in a lab so I wont touch a diet soda.
Grievous Angel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »

Zero. I finished off a 12-pack of Coke a few weeks ago, and I haven't bought any since. I'd much rather drink water or iced tea during the day now.

Owner, Port Royal Cutthroats, GGNL
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »

Ummmm...about 40? frown

No, I'm not exaggerating.  I'm good for about six cans a day--I've been addicted since youth.

Yes, it's all diet.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 04:06:20 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2006, 02:22:20 PM

This

+

2. Dead

?

Coffee wouldn't cause either of those??

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 04:48:41 PM »

I'm hooked (hooked!) on Diet Coke with Lime.  I drink probably two of those a night but really that's it for soda.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 05:56:46 PM »

I probably have a soda a day at work, and more when I get home or go out to eat.

Always diet, though, so calories are no problem.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 07:30:13 PM »

I'll drink about one can per day of Diet Coke, but I'll go in phases of drinking quite a bit and then go for awhile with none.

Coffee is an everyday thing with at least a couple mugs per day.  I work at nights so it's become an integrated part of my diet (and it's free at work).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 07:40:14 PM »

I'm fairly certain I average 2 cokes a day.

It will someday kill me.

gellar
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 07:50:18 PM »

I clicked on 2 per, but now that I think about it, it's more like 2 per month or less. My wife and I allow ourselves pop on special or rare occaissions. It makes it more enjoyable. On top of that if we drink it we go in the diet/caffeine free department.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2006, 10:41:01 PM »

I went with 2 per week, though they are always mixed with Jack Daniels.  I can't remember the last time I had straight soda. :icon_confused:
Exodor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2006, 10:42:54 PM »

Zero.  I average about a can of soda a month.

Coffee, on the other hand - well, I drink about a pot a day.

More when the baby keeps me up at night, like she did last night.    mad
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 10:51:42 PM »

Zero.

I drink a cup of coffee in the morning.

Then usually some unsweetened iced tea or just water for the rest of the day.  And now and then wine or beer with dinner.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 11:09:53 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 02, 2006, 12:25:33 PM

Zero.  I gave it up completely last year.  Soda tastes horrible to me now. My wallet appreciates that. smile

Ditto that.  I think I stopped drinking all Sodas last year as well.  Now when I have one, it feels like I am drinking pure sugar, and it makes me sick.  I read somewhere, a can of soda has something like 16 teaspoons of Sugar.  My sister said put 16 tsp into a glass of water, and try to drink it, and that will put it all into perspective.

I think the last time I had a Soda was over a month ago, and it was only 4-5 sips.

Diet Soda is even worse, Aspartame is Poison, and Splenda just tastes terrible. Even worse, Aspartame creates addiction that is a slippery slope. Toxic rubbish.  I find Vitamin Water much more to my liking, and quite healthy.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2006, 01:36:42 AM »

+7 .... a day Diet dp pepper tho smile
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 01:39:29 AM »

I usually go thru a couple of two liter diet sodas a month. My main poison of choice is iced tea.

Ye Olde Farte
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2006, 02:19:29 AM »

Quote from: Goldchamp on October 03, 2006, 01:36:42 AM

+7 .... a day Diet dp pepper tho smile

You say it as if Diet makes the amount better?  That shit is quite toxic.  I think it is only a matter of time before it is pulled from the market, unfortunately a lot of damage will already be done.  Clearly, 7+ a day isn't what the manufacturers intended.  I wouldn't drink 7+ a day of anything much less a toxin.

NM SENATOR: PULL PLUG ON ASPARTAME
Thursday, September 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com

Dear President Bush: We request that you order FDA Commissioner nominee, Andrew Von Eschenbach M.D., to rescind the FDA approval for the artificial sweetener, Aspartame. Its approval was forced through the FDA in 1981, and the USA has had 25 years to observe the incontrovertible medical effects from Aspartame, which derive from its being metabolized as methanol and formaldehyde, and two unessential amino acids, one of which, phenylalanine is neurotoxic lowering the seizure threshold and depleting serotonin and the other aspartic acid, an excitotoxin. - Senator Jerry Ortiz y Pino

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2006, 03:17:18 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 02, 2006, 11:09:53 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 02, 2006, 12:25:33 PM

Ditto that.  I think I stopped drinking all Sodas last year as well.  Now when I have one, it feels like I am drinking pure sugar, and it makes me sick.  I read somewhere, a can of soda has something like 16 teaspoons of Sugar.  My sister said put 16 tsp into a glass of water, and try to drink it, and that will put it all into perspective.

I think the last time I had a Soda was over a month ago, and it was only 4-5 sips.

Diet Soda is even worse, Aspartame is Poison, and Splenda just tastes terrible. Even worse, Aspartame creates addiction that is a slippery slope. Toxic rubbish.  I find Vitamin Water much more to my liking, and quite healthy.

Thanks to those nutritional value labels on the cans, one can of Coke has 42 g of sugar (yum yum yum)

oh yeah, I average about 4-5 cans per week, give or take a can or two.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2006, 04:10:23 AM »

I usually have a Coke with lunch once or twice a week. Otherwise it's cranberry juice.

I don't drink coffee, usually drink milk with dinner, and water otherwise, so I don't think a bit of soda would kill me.

Now chocolate on the other hand...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2006, 04:31:50 AM »

I used to drink a couple diet sodas a day but I wanted to cut down on the caffeine and sweeteners so now I only drink them on the weekends. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2006, 04:35:00 AM »

I'm a teenager and I proud to say I dont drink soda.
I had this large intestine eruption a few years back and ever since then I watch what I eat and drink more closely.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 05:19:01 AM »

Around 3 cans a day of diet soda, preferably diet Coke.

And about a pot or so of coffee a day tooooo

And sometimes an energy drink.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 09:13:32 AM »

Well, Kobra.... there are different kinds of poison lol, for a diabetic -  sugar being one of them.  I hate water, honestly, and the only flavored waters I can drink have Splenda in them.  Now, if you'd only had the choice of Tab or Fresca (with saccharine) since the age of 17, you might discover that Splenda is delicious, lol! Though of late, I've been drinking V8 juice, though I can only have it when blood sugar is not a concern, since it has 10 carbs in 8 oz.  Otherwise I'd drink it all day long!

But more on topic, of late I've been addicted to Monster Drink (the low carb one)... but it is way to strong tasting for me, like melted Sweet Tarts - really made for the younger set! So I add seltzer or Fruit 2-O to it for palatability - and it seems to make me feel a bit better, as well.  I have a muscle disorder, and I suppose the small amounts of Taurine or Carnitine could be helping, but I've recently pretty much changed from Diet Coke and Diet Dr. Pepper to my Monster Drink concoction.

Which reminds me.. there was a post a while back that I believe discussed these "energy drinks" - can anyone point me too it? I know Diet Code Red was discussed, and maybe Rock Star and similar beverages... :icon_confused:

Oh, so I didnt answer how many sodas a week cz I'm not sure if Monster Drink can be considered soda... if so, then i have about seven to nine a week...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2006, 02:03:32 PM »

A whole lot; I generally have 2 a day, one with each meal, of a mix of Coke and either Sprite or Dr. Pepper, and often a late-evening one if the suitemates do a 7-11 run.  But almost 100% of the time when I'm out of the dining hall, I get a Coke Zero instead of a regular one.

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006, 02:09:39 PM »

I tend to drink lemonaid and iced team, soda makes my stomach upset

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006, 03:33:24 PM »

I drink at least one Coke per day on average.  Also around 3 cups of coffee.  Actually, that's low end; usually it's more than that.

See, here's the deal.  I quit drinking and drugs a year ago.  2 weeks ago I gave up cigarettes.  I have decided that I am finished with all self-improvement for once and for all.  I am as improved right now as I ever care to be.

What's an intestine eruption?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: