http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2016, 11:06:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Star Trek TV series coming 2017  (Read 1351 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7215


View Profile
« on: November 04, 2015, 02:32:27 AM »

CBS has announced that a new Star Trek TV series is coming in January 2017.  The show will be produced by Alex Kurtzman, who co-wrote and produced the two most recent Trek movies, although this show won't have anything to do with the movies.  Unfortunately, the show (after the pilot) will only be available on CBS All Access for $5.99/month.  Even after the success of the recent movies, I wasn't sure this would ever happen, so I won't mind paying when the time comes.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4565


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 05:32:18 PM »

Wow that's kind of irritating.  I've been dying for a new Star Trek series and this is the format they go with?  I already have Directv, Hulu, Netflix and Amazon.  Now I have to pay for CBS too for a single show I want to see?  Are ABC and NBC going to follow suit too?

As a side topic, I really wonder if crap like this is what will ultimately screw the cord-cutting effort.  How many of these exclusive one/two-off shows to sell a service can be sustained?  I guess you could argue it's my own fault for wanting to see these specific shows, but I doubt I'm the only person who's in that boat. 
Logged
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4524



View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 05:43:19 PM »

I kind of get the annoyance, but is really that bad? 

If the show is weekly that is 4 episodes a month, shows have always been an hour so 4 hours for 5.99 - so roughly $1.50 an hour.   That feels quite cheap.
Logged

Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1608



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 06:12:38 PM »

I think they're kind of overestimating Trek's popularity at this point. Trek as a series hasn't been on the air since Enterprise, and I think at this point, they'd need all the viewers they can get, rather than constraining it behind a paywall and limiting its viewers. If they're expecting it to drive their subscription service, they might want to rethink that. The fanbase is already divided enough as it is. Is it really healthy for the franchise to divide itself between those who will/can pay for a service and those that can't? It's the kind of thing that would limit watercooler talk, which is a healthy sign for a series as it shows trending and gets people to check it out. I mean, look at the Walking Dead. I hear so much talk about that, and I don't even watch it myself, but there are times that I think to myself that maybe I should at least check it out. With a show behind a paywall, it's much less likely to happen.

No, my opinion at this point is that a series would need all the viewership it can. It needs a shot in the arm. Otherwise it might just linger.
Logged
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4565


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 04, 2015, 06:12:38 PM

I think they're kind of overestimating Trek's popularity at this point. Trek as a series hasn't been on the air since Enterprise, and I think at this point, they'd need all the viewers they can get, rather than constraining it behind a paywall and limiting its viewers. If they're expecting it to drive their subscription service, they might want to rethink that. The fanbase is already divided enough as it is. Is it really healthy for the franchise to divide itself between those who will/can pay for a service and those that can't? It's the kind of thing that would limit watercooler talk, which is a healthy sign for a series as it shows trending and gets people to check it out. I mean, look at the Walking Dead. I hear so much talk about that, and I don't even watch it myself, but there are times that I think to myself that maybe I should at least check it out. With a show behind a paywall, it's much less likely to happen.

No, my opinion at this point is that a series would need all the viewership it can. It needs a shot in the arm. Otherwise it might just linger.

Totally agree with all of this!!!

To farley, of course you are right that it's not that bad in and of itself.  I'm just afraid ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, AMC, etc will all follow suit.  Even if the cost is not that much per network, just needing to swap to a different app for each one just seems annoying.  Not to mention that many people are already paying for the "regular" CBS by virtue of their general service, so it creates this weird paywall/tier effect that Rumpy talked about. 
Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16571


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:36:25 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on November 04, 2015, 06:12:38 PM

I think they're kind of overestimating Trek's popularity at this point. Trek as a series hasn't been on the air since Enterprise, and I think at this point, they'd need all the viewers they can get, rather than constraining it behind a paywall and limiting its viewers. If they're expecting it to drive their subscription service, they might want to rethink that. The fanbase is already divided enough as it is. Is it really healthy for the franchise to divide itself between those who will/can pay for a service and those that can't? It's the kind of thing that would limit watercooler talk, which is a healthy sign for a series as it shows trending and gets people to check it out. I mean, look at the Walking Dead. I hear so much talk about that, and I don't even watch it myself, but there are times that I think to myself that maybe I should at least check it out. With a show behind a paywall, it's much less likely to happen.

No, my opinion at this point is that a series would need all the viewership it can. It needs a shot in the arm. Otherwise it might just linger.

I don't think they're overestimating the Trek popularity in the sense that they can definitely make money off of the fans out there, but I still agree that it's stupid to do so for all the reasons you said. 

And Trek needs to grow beyond the people rabid enough to shell out.
Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1608



View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 09:52:39 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 04, 2015, 07:36:25 PM



I don't think they're overestimating the Trek popularity in the sense that they can definitely make money off of the fans out there, but I still agree that it's stupid to do so for all the reasons you said.

And Trek needs to grow beyond the people rabid enough to shell out.

Oh, I don't doubt they'd make money off its fans, but that's where it will likely stop due to the barrier they're creating.  And definitely agreed that it needs to grow beyond those fans. Even with the popularity of the new movies and the new fans coming into the franchise,  I'd consider the franchise unstable at best, recovering from a long slumber. And then there are those casual fans that might be interested in some new Trek, but not interested enough that they'd shell out for a new service to see it. It's just so stupid to block away a certain segment of your viewers when a simpler solution could be welcoming to all. Someone didn't fully think this through.


Logged
Ironrod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3594



View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 02:40:51 AM »

The paywall model is going to flop. This series will either die or move to broadcast after one season. People who grew up with ST -- presumably a good portion of the loyal fanbase -- are my age, and we aren't all down with this newfangled "streaming" thing.

Even if I have a streaming TV by 2017 I'm too cheap to subscribe to something for one show. I'll wait for the dvd release or syndication run, thanks.
Logged

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16074


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 06, 2015, 02:40:51 AM

The paywall model is going to flop. This series will either die or move to broadcast after one season. People who grew up with ST -- presumably a good portion of the loyal fanbase -- are my age, and we aren't all down with this newfangled "streaming" thing.

Even if I have a streaming TV by 2017 I'm too cheap to subscribe to something for one show. I'll wait for the dvd release or syndication run, thanks.

Or just pirate it when it comes out.

I completely agree with everything you said though. I'm damn 'old-style' in my age it seems. I have no Twitter, I have no Facebook, I have no Hulu, I have no Netflix, I have no nothing. My TV doesn't even get turned on unless it's to play my gaming consoles.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ironrod
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3594



View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 11:13:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 06, 2015, 02:59:08 PM

Quote from: Ironrod on November 06, 2015, 02:40:51 AM

The paywall model is going to flop. This series will either die or move to broadcast after one season. People who grew up with ST -- presumably a good portion of the loyal fanbase -- are my age, and we aren't all down with this newfangled "streaming" thing.

Even if I have a streaming TV by 2017 I'm too cheap to subscribe to something for one show. I'll wait for the dvd release or syndication run, thanks.

Or just pirate it when it comes out.

I completely agree with everything you said though. I'm damn 'old-style' in my age it seems. I have no Twitter, I have no Facebook, I have no Hulu, I have no Netflix, I have no nothing. My TV doesn't even get turned on unless it's to play my gaming consoles.

We bought our TV before streaming was a thing, when they were still crazy expensive. I think we paid $1,200 for a 42" set with no tuner and one HDMI port. We also bought a new home-theater sound system and DVD player at the same time. I am loathe to mess with that setup by trying to add streaming capability -- getting it to work in the first place was complicated enough. You practically have to be an electronics engineer to watch TV anymore.

That said, our TV is approaching 10 years old so realistically we might need to replace it by 2017. If I do get a whiz-bang internet TV I will have to reevaluate our entire setup. We use it mostly for watching movies on DVD and recording half a dozen series off the cable. I don't expect that a tech upgrade would change our viewing habits very much, although I might dump the cable in favor of streaming services if I can save money on the programming that we already watch. Still can't see myself shelling out $6 for ST, though, especially if the new series is going to follow the action-adventure mentality of the rebooted movies.
Logged

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Suitably Ironic Moniker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1231


WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »

Another divisive factor might be the choice of timeline that the show takes place in. With Orci producing, I would be surprised if it didn't take place in this new timeline, which a lot of folks do not like. Personally, I don't mind, as long as they use the opportunity to make new stories, not just riff off of the iconic characters and plots of the original timeline.
Logged

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1608



View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 08:04:32 PM »

Yeah, that was another thought while writing my original post on this. I felt that the announcement already implied the timeline by choice of producer. I think a series in that timeline could still work, but I'd prefer a distinct separate voice from the movies, with a producer unaffiliated with them.
Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16571


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 07:08:37 PM »

Well, here's some great news:

Bryan Fuller will be the showrunner.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hannibals-bryan-fuller-is-producing-the-new-star-trek-t-1758068994

Quote
This is the best possible choice. Bryan Fuller—who worked on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager back in the day, before going on to create Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls and Hannibal—will be the showrunner of the new Star Trek TV show.

In a statement, Fuller was quoted as saying:

My very first experience of Star Trek is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the Star Trek universe lit my imagination on fire. It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand-new iteration of Star Trek with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no Star Trek series has gone before.
Fuller has been trying to get a Star Trek series off the ground for nearly a decade. Back in 2008, he told IF Magazine:

I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams team I want to create another STAR TREK series and have an idea that I’m kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colors and attitude. I loved VOYAGER and DEEP SPACE NINE, but they seem to have lost the ‘60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin.
The new Trek series (which is being executive produced by Alex Kurtzman) will premiere on CBS in 2017, before moving to CBS’ digital “CBS All Access” platform.

Entertainment Weekly points out that Fuller has teased a few different ideas for Star Trek TV shows in the past. At one point, he said it would be interesting to see how the Next Generation era looks, in the altered timeline of the recent J.J. Abrams films. In another interview, he said it would be cool to have a show that follows another starship, the U.S.S. Reliant, and that he’d love to cast Angela Bassett as the captain and Rosario Dawson as the first officer.

Fuller is already showrunner of the American Gods series on Starz, and is also spearheading the new version of Amazing Stories.
Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
USMC Kato
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3061


I have a bad feeling about this....


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 10:05:18 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 09, 2016, 07:08:37 PM

Well, here's some great news:

Bryan Fuller will be the showrunner.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/hannibals-bryan-fuller-is-producing-the-new-star-trek-t-1758068994

Quote
This is the best possible choice. Bryan Fuller—who worked on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager back in the day, before going on to create Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls and Hannibal—will be the showrunner of the new Star Trek TV show.

In a statement, Fuller was quoted as saying:

My very first experience of Star Trek is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the Star Trek universe lit my imagination on fire. It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand-new iteration of Star Trek with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no Star Trek series has gone before.
Fuller has been trying to get a Star Trek series off the ground for nearly a decade. Back in 2008, he told IF Magazine:

I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams team I want to create another STAR TREK series and have an idea that I’m kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colors and attitude. I loved VOYAGER and DEEP SPACE NINE, but they seem to have lost the ‘60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin.
The new Trek series (which is being executive produced by Alex Kurtzman) will premiere on CBS in 2017, before moving to CBS’ digital “CBS All Access” platform.

Entertainment Weekly points out that Fuller has teased a few different ideas for Star Trek TV shows in the past. At one point, he said it would be interesting to see how the Next Generation era looks, in the altered timeline of the recent J.J. Abrams films. In another interview, he said it would be cool to have a show that follows another starship, the U.S.S. Reliant, and that he’d love to cast Angela Bassett as the captain and Rosario Dawson as the first officer.

Fuller is already showrunner of the American Gods series on Starz, and is also spearheading the new version of Amazing Stories.


Wow! Loved Pushing Daises and Hannibal. This is fantastic news. When Fuller is allowed to do his thing (creative freedom) great things happen....whether people watch the show or not
Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16571


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 11:51:06 PM »

And more good news (great news, IMO) Nicholas Meyer has joined the writing staff!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74531

Quote
Nicholas Meyer, who wrote “Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan,” “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home” and “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country,” has joined the writing staff of CBS’s new Star Trek streaming series!!

“Nicholas Meyer chased Kirk and Khan ’round the Mutara Nebula and ’round Genesis’ flames, he saved the whales with the Enterprise and its crew, and waged war and peace between Klingons and the Federation,” showrunner Bryan Fuller said in a press release. “We are thrilled to announce that one of Star Trek’s greatest storytellers will be boldly returning as Nicholas Meyer beams aboard the new Trek writing staff.”

Fuller, who started his TV career writing for “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and “Star Trek Voyager,” is one showrunner of the series, due to arrive next year. The other showrunner is Alex Kurtzman, who co-wrote J.J. Abrams’ two blockbuster “Star Trek” movies. Fuller and Kurtzman are the show’s creators.

Almost nothing is known about the new series beyond the fact that it will follow a new-to-us starship crew. It will be available exclusively via the CBS All Access streaming service, which charges customers $5.99 per month.

Meyer also directed “Star Trek II” and “Star Trek VI.” His scripting work on “II”, which built on earlier Trek scripts by other writers, was uncredited.

Meyer’s debut as screenwriter-director was “Time After Time,” which depicted author H.G. Welles chasing Jack The Ripper to 1979 in a time machine.
Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1608



View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »

Yeah, I have to admit, it's starting to sound more promising. I'm still not sold on it being on CBS All Access, and I don't even know if I'll even have access to it, but it looks to me like they're trying to appease the crowd who are not so fond of the new movies. So, perhaps we'll get something that's more familiar ground.
Logged
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7215


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2016, 02:44:47 AM »

Here's a teaser trailer that reveals that (spoiler alert) the show is set in space slywink  It might not mean anything, but it's odd that the trailer says "new crews" instead of "new crew".
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16571


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2016, 03:37:14 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on May 19, 2016, 02:44:47 AM

Here's a teaser trailer that reveals that (spoiler alert) the show is set in space slywink  It might not mean anything, but it's odd that the trailer says "new crews" instead of "new crew".

The most recent thing I read about this show (and I thought I'd posted it here, but I guess I neglected to do it) is that it's going to hop around eras.  Sometimes, it'll be next gen.  Other times TOS.  I even heard the Cochrane era might be involved.

This sounds monumentally stupid to me.


EDIT: Here's the first thing I saw:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/74935

I mean, self-contained seasons like American Horror Story isn't as bad as, say, hopping around from timeline to timeline with no story throughline, but it still seems dumb to me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 03:41:52 AM by Bullwinkle » Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1608



View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 05:56:22 AM »

Well, it could work if each season has its own standalone storylines. But at the same time, it will be hard for anyone to become attached to any of the characters, which at this point, due to it being behind a paywall, might have another thing working against it. It could be like True Detective where the first season was very well received, but where the second totally flopped, and then if that happens, there goes your subscribers. There won't be much of a reason for those to stick around if they didn't like what they've seen.
Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16571


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 01:55:43 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about the paywall.  I imagine the first season will be fine.  Some may be hesitant, but the "lets see what this is all about" crowd, especially from the die-hards, will pay away.  Especially if that free preview is good enough.

But we live in a world of binge watching, and people wait until everything is available and reviewed.  I can't imagine that if you don't have continuing characters and an ongoing storyline that people aren't generally going to shift into a wait and see attitude before paying any money.

Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16571


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »

More from the What the Hell are They Thinking Dept.:

They've added another show to CBS All Access.  The Good Wife Spin Off.  That's fine.  I'm sure some people are excited about that.  There will be two other series as well.

It's going to cost $6/month.  And you have to watch commercials.  You can't skip them. 

WTF?!  I dropped Hulu like a hot turd over the commercial thing.  Why am I paying you to get paid?  No.


SOURCE
Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1608



View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 06:21:50 PM »

Yeah, it's like they don't understand why people would want to pay for the service in the first place. I can understand from a free service like Crackle, but a monthly service? I understand that bills need to be paid, but if CBS has to resort to ads, it means CBS itself doesn't have great confidence that this can work out. If the network itself doesn't doesn't have great confidence in it, then it bodes ill. They won't be able to get enough subs to keep it afloat, especially with news of the ads.

Fortunately other markets are receiving it and will air it without having to sub to a stupid service nobody wants. So at the very least, they'll get some income from international sales.
Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16571


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 04:03:09 PM »

Fuller had some clarifications which tell us that what we've heard is wrong, at least according to AICN.  Personally, I'm not sure this changes much for certain.  This is along the lines of what I was picturing. 

It's still not entirely clear that these 13 episode story arcs won't be self-contained and that the next season won't be different.  "Anthology show" usually means different stories from episode to episode.  The American Horror Story format is its own thing.

That said, in thinking about it realistically, it doesn't make any sense at all for this series to hop around to different ships and eras and casts.  That concept is the antithesis of hollywood television production.  See, that would require different sets and props and costumes, especially if they're bopping around time.  In television production, they like to keep the locations to a minimum (even on shows where they don't have to build those locations).  It helps cut down on creation costs, but also filming time (which is a big source of cost for production because of the crew required).  For each location that exists in an episode, they have to lock it down and light it, which takes a lot of time and slows down the filming.  For an ongoing series, the more time that can be spent in a single location, the better, as they can either leave the equipment in place or get familiar enough with lighting set ups that it becomes second nature and much faster.

Well, I'm rambling, but the bottom line is that it makes much more sense for the show to focus on the same people and places ep to ep and season to season.  Plus, I'm glad to hear it, because that other idea was stupid.

Quote
At this week’s Saturn Awards, CBS All Access’ Star Trek showrunner Bryan Fuller debunked two rumors about the Starfleet hourlong launching in January:

1) The first season will NOT take place between “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country” and the first season of “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”

2) The new series will not be an anthology show.

Fuller also described some things we CAN expect:

* The series will tell a “13-chapter” story, suggesting there will be considerable episode-to-episode continuity. (This is of course not a huge innovation; the third season of “Star Trek: Enterprise” was famous for telling one long story across 24 episodes.)

* This “13-chapter” business suggests also that CBS All Access has so far ordered 13 hours of the new series for 2017. (Does this mean we’re only getting 13 hours in 2017? The first season of “Star Trek: Enterprise” comprised 26 hours. Most seasons of “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” and “Star Trek: Voyager” were 26 hours long as well.)

* The “New Crews” text in the promo was not a typo. “I think we will be seeing lots of crews in the story,” said Fuller.

* “Eventually. Eventually,” Fuller answered when asked if characters we’ve already met could return.
Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1608



View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »

Yeah, good point about the sets. That's an angle I hadn't thought about. Sci-fi sets are already among the most expensive, and making new ones all the time would be cost-prohibitive. Hell, even in Trek you had a lot of set re-use between the show and movies with set pieces rejigged for new ships, and most of the time anything wasn't entirely new, just variations. Sometimes they'd even be used for other shows outside Trek.

When I think of Anthology show, I immediately think of The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. But there's no reason that the anthology couldn't be per season, if done right, with a lot of set re-use.  But yeah, all Fuller really says is that the show will have a story-arc, which frankly isn't much of a surprise since so many shows do this now. I think a good middle ground would be setting the series in the same era. Have a 13-episode arc amongst a larger story. Each season could still follow a new crew in the same era dealing with their own story aligning itself with the larger story.

But it sounds like Fuller is saying it will only follow a new crew, with others being met along the way, which is a bit more traditional. I think where people were getting confused is with what he'd originally said he'd love to do with a Trek series.
Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16571


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 06:45:20 PM »

Quote from: Rumpy on June 26, 2016, 06:13:07 PM

Yeah, good point about the sets. That's an angle I hadn't thought about. Sci-fi sets are already among the most expensive, and making new ones all the time would be cost-prohibitive. Hell, even in Trek you had a lot of set re-use between the show and movies with set pieces rejigged for new ships, and most of the time anything wasn't entirely new, just variations. Sometimes they'd even be used for other shows outside Trek.

When I think of Anthology show, I immediately think of The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. But there's no reason that the anthology couldn't be per season, if done right, with a lot of set re-use.  But yeah, all Fuller really says is that the show will have a story-arc, which frankly isn't much of a surprise since so many shows do this now. I think a good middle ground would be setting the series in the same era. Have a 13-episode arc amongst a larger story. Each season could still follow a new crew in the same era dealing with their own story aligning itself with the larger story.

But it sounds like Fuller is saying it will only follow a new crew, with others being met along the way, which is a bit more traditional. I think where people were getting confused is with what he'd originally said he'd love to do with a Trek series.

Well, he did also say the "crews" line is not a typo.

But maybe we're going to see what some have mentioned: an armada or convoy traveling to some destination.  Seems a little too BSG, but who knows.

Logged

"The cause of death was asphyxiation, or smothering, in layman's terms."

"What does 'layman's terms' mean?"
Rumpy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1608



View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »

Yeah, some sort of mass-colonization effort, I could see. And then as for different crews, they could have different type of ships such medical ships, science ships, etc, escorting the colony along some unexplored edge of space. That'd satisfy all aspects.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.314 seconds with 76 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.142s, 2q)