http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:26:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nope, not any better (HP/Windows 8)  (Read 542 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »

My 10 month old HP laptop crashed and burned and it thankfully still had 81 days left on the warranty.  I know this because the very helpful/ nice Indian I spent 1 hour and 27 minutes talking with on the phone told me numerous times, while trying to sell me an extended warranty.

Anyway, I paid $16 for the expedited repair option and filled out a form to backup everything in the My Documents folder (namely pictures that cannot be replaced).

We received the laptop yesterday, 13 days after I sent it to HP... Why did I pay for expedited service again???  Also, absolutely nothing was backed up.  Thank God I installed Crashplan a week before the computer crashed and i have everything backed up in the cloud.

I guess I had some shred of hope that everything would be backed up and that either (1)Windows 7 would have been accidentally installed or (2) Windows 8 wouldn't suck quiet as bad.

Sorry venting, not the biggest fan of either Microsoft nor HP right now, and I will feel some vindication in mid-November when Purchase the PS4...
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:47:58 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 28, 2013, 06:46:16 PM

Why did I pay for expedited service again???  Also, absolutely nothing was backed up. 
1) If you hadn't paid for expedited service, you would be looking at possibly 4-8 weeks instead of 13 days. I dealt with HP warranty in my last job and they can be VERY slow. (longest was about 3 months due to backordered parts)
2) They may not have been able to back it up if the hard drive was shot....

also, going forward:
1) Keep an online backup account
2) Go buy TWO external drives for backup and keep rotating them... (I have FOUR backup drives just for my pics and an online backup service(Carbonite).. Had a big scare years ago...)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:53:03 AM »

Carbonite rules. Installed it on my wife's laptop just 2 weeks before she baptized it in wine. All of her data was easily recovered.

I use Amazon Web Services through a utility called Jungledisk to backup my business machine. On the plus side, it only costs me 80 cents a month. On the minus side, it's a lot harder to use than Carbonite. I hope that I never have to actually rely on it. My data's out there, but getting it back could be a bitch.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on August 28, 2013, 11:47:58 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 28, 2013, 06:46:16 PM

Why did I pay for expedited service again???  Also, absolutely nothing was backed up.
1) If you hadn't paid for expedited service, you would be looking at possibly 4-8 weeks instead of 13 days. I dealt with HP warranty in my last job and they can be VERY slow. (longest was about 3 months due to backordered parts)
2) They may not have been able to back it up if the hard drive was shot....

also, going forward:
1) Keep an online backup account
2) Go buy TWO external drives for backup and keep rotating them... (I have FOUR backup drives just for my pics and an online backup service(Carbonite).. Had a big scare years ago...)

Well good to know about the expedited service then, maybe it was worth it after all.

Like I said, thank God I had backed up with Crashplan before it actually crashed.  I started the restore process and it says it will take 1.5 days to complete.

Serious question, are laptops just made with shitty parts that breakdown within a year?  This laptop is in pristine condition, and left the house twice.

Oh and I used to use Jungle Disc but my wife got to frustrated with it so we changed to something a bit more user friendly.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:46:56 PM »

The PC industry long ago abandoned quality in the search for low prices. You can blame anyone who ever went "Ooh, $400 for a laptop! That's awesome!" for your problems.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »

You pay for what you get.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
arcanis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:56:53 PM »

Pretty much what Fireball said and Isg showed. For the most part if it is cheap it is using lower quality parts to make it that cheap. Apple has a reputation for high quality components, but charge what I consider an excessive amount for that. It also means you have to use OSX and all that goes with that.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 29, 2013, 05:31:00 PM

Serious question, are laptops just made with shitty parts that breakdown within a year?  This laptop is in pristine condition, and left the house twice.

FWIW, every Dell I've ever owned has lasted at least 3 years, most have gone 5+, and one was still in use after 10 years. My laptops run 16-18 hours a day, but I'm otherwise very gentle with them. I usually pay $700-900 for a mid- to higher-end machine. 

My wife's Dells are invariably either drowned or dropped within 2 years. They'd have to be built to military specs to survive her handling.  

HP used to be notorious for poor quality, but I thought they had shaken that reputation a few years ago.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:01:13 PM »

I've got a dell from '05 which still runs decently enough.  not using it much though as I really have no need when I have a tablet, plus it weighs about 10 lbs. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »

Quote from: arcanis on August 29, 2013, 05:56:53 PM

Pretty much what Fireball said and Isg showed. For the most part if it is cheap it is using lower quality parts to make it that cheap. Apple has a reputation for high quality components, but charge what I consider an excessive amount for that. It also means you have to use OSX and all that goes with that.

1) Agree on the high quality components
2) There's not much of an Apple premium these days for a lot of configurations. Of course there are less configuration options for Apple so you can't really spec a low end machine.  If you factor in resale value an Apple is actually considerably cheaper than it's PC counterpart.
3) You can run just about any flavor of Windows you want instead of OSX.  A list of OSes I am running on my two Apple computers: OSX 10.8.x Native, Windows 7 Native (for games), Windows 8 Virtual (for Office apps), Windows 7 Virtual (for testing), OSX 10.8.x Virtual (for testing).

To go back to the OPs point though - Fuck My Life I hate Windows 8.  As mentioned I'm running it for Office 2013 and it causes me to rage daily.  And Office 2013 sucks too.  WTF happened to my beloved Office?
arcanis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »

Yeah your millage will vary a lot. I had an HP laptop that lasted me about 4 years before it gave me issues, at that point it wasn't worth fixing. We have 12 panasonic toughbooks for a client at work and have shipped them off repeatedly, almost exclusively for hard drive failures. We have well over 100 dells that we support and they seem to hold up pretty well, most of the damaged ones are due to user abuse.

As to Win8 I have it on my work computer and it doesn't really bother me. I've gotten around any inconvenience it has.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:32:12 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 29, 2013, 06:08:08 PM

To go back to the OPs point though - Fuck My Life I hate Windows 8.  As mentioned I'm running it for Office 2013 and it causes me to rage daily.  And Office 2013 sucks too.  WTF happened to my beloved Office?

Are you running it on Win8 just because of Narrator? That can't be worth the hassle of running it on 8.

I'm ambivalent on Office 2013, other than I detest the fact they changed the Outlook icon to blue and made me expend effort to change it.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 01:27:46 AM »

Were PCs really more reliable when they were more expensive? Seems to me that I've been hearing about dead or dying laptops/desktops since forever - long before cheaper PCs became common.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 01:55:30 AM »

Quote from: Biyobi on August 29, 2013, 11:32:12 PM

I'm ambivalent on Office 2013, other than I detest the fact they changed the Outlook icon to blue and made me expend effort to change it.

Not to sidetrack, but that baffled me. For more than a decade, they've had a clear color scheme for Office: Word is blue, Excel is green, PowerPoint is red, Outlook is yellow, Access is purple, Publisher is teal, etc. Why is Outlook all of a sudden a lighter blue color?

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 01:56:22 AM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on August 30, 2013, 01:27:46 AM

Were PCs really more reliable when they were more expensive? Seems to me that I've been hearing about dead or dying laptops/desktops since forever - long before cheaper PCs became common.

I dunno. I've always bought Apple laptops. Early on in the $1,500 to $2,500 range, lately in the $1,200 to $1,700 range. They've always been very reliable.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 02:29:08 AM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on August 30, 2013, 01:27:46 AM

Bought an Alienware a couple of years ago. Frequently crashed out of the box. Took me a year to figure it out, but the memory modules don't fit tight. Anytime the computer is moved I have to reset the memory or I get crashes. The expensive keyboard that lights up now flickers. It's fast and will still run anything, but I hate that computer. Big heavy thing that is loud, has a funky annoying vibration, and I have to reset the memory if I move it.

Dell monitor with my Alienware. Has some sort of flaw where about 33% of the time it can't adjust to the resolution. Have to reset it to get it to work. It was a common problem when I bought, lots of unhappy owners on Dell's forums.

Always had Dell laptops, high end ones, since I believe you get what you pay for. Screen problems on every one I have owned (3).

Say what you will about Apple, but never had any problems on the 6 I have owned. Nothing. Heck my 3 year old iMac got recalled for the hard drive this year, it still worked fine. Now I have a 3 year old computer with a brand new hard drive, so I feel even less need to replace it (it won't play new games, but it handles everything else fine). For back-ups I have a NAS with Time Machine. Outside of a fire/theft (which does concern me), no need to pay a subscription for back up.

Apple may not be cheap, but I feel that they make high quality computers. My experience might be unique in that I have never had problems, but I have been happy with them.

Edit: I did have a major Apple problem. MacbookPro from about 5-6 years ago had a problem with it's backlighting, where occasionally waking it up from sleep only about half the lights would work. Very annoying but easy fix, just put the screen to sleep with a keyboard shortcut and wake it up. Apple acknowledged the problem but couldn't seem to fix it. That is one very annoying thing about Apple, they are very slow to acknowledge problems. They usually come through and fix it, but getting them to admit it can be painful.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:37:02 AM by Lee » Logged
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 02:38:52 AM »

Ill just throw out a counter point here.  I have a very fast alienware computer, purchased it 2 yrs ago.  It has run pretty much flawlessly since I bought it.  Its pretty quiet as well.  I am totally jappy with it.  I figure I got lucky as Ive heard many horror stories about Dell.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 02:41:56 AM »

Ha, not sure there is such a thing as a quiet Alienware! it's relative of course. Mine is louder than usual because something in the door vibrates.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 04:19:25 PM »

I appreciate all the opinions.  My wife and I have agreed that of we have more issues with the HP, we will go with Apple next (we both have iPhones).

What on earth was MS thinking with Windows 8? 

I mean really...  I've always been somewhat of an MS fanboy, mainly due to the Xbox, but that led to me being loyal to windows and ms in general.  As an investor, I tend to think a short-sale on MSFT would not be a bad trade to make at all.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 30, 2013, 04:19:25 PM

I appreciate all the opinions.  My wife and I have agreed that of we have more issues with the HP, we will go with Apple next (we both have iPhones).

I mean really...  I've always been somewhat of an MS fanboy, mainly due to the Xbox, but that led to me being loyal to windows and ms in general.  As an investor, I tend to think a short-sale on MSFT would not be a bad trade to make at all.

If you make the switch to Apple, just be aware things like Office suck on it. I love OS X, but it does take some getting used to, and you have to get used to finding alternate software. Office is useable, just not as good. Quicken is all but useless if you do any investing (but sounds like Windows Quicken is worthless nowadays as well). Stuff like that.

MSFT had a good run earlier this year, but I don't think I would short it. Windows 8.1 is getting good press, and as much as the XBox One sounds like it sucks, I bet they still rake it in this Christmas.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 30, 2013, 04:46:19 PM

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 30, 2013, 04:19:25 PM

If you make the switch to Apple, just be aware things like Office suck on it. I love OS X, but it does take some getting used to, and you have to get used to finding alternate software. Office is useable, just not as good. Quicken is all but useless if you do any investing (but sounds like Windows Quicken is worthless nowadays as well). Stuff like that.

MSFT had a good run earlier this year, but I don't think I would short it. Windows 8.1 is getting good press, and as much as the XBox One sounds like it sucks, I bet they still rake it in this Christmas.

based on my time with 8.1, those who really hated the changes from 7>8 will not be much fonder of 8.1.  the start button is more useful, but is not what everyone wanted.  the changes to the start screen (2nd panel for installed apps, change bg image) are an improvement though. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 05:33:52 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 30, 2013, 04:46:19 PM

If you make the switch to Apple, just be aware things like Office suck on it. I love OS X, but it does take some getting used to, and you have to get used to finding alternate software. Office is useable, just not as good.

I've always preferred Office for Mac. I like that in Office 2011, we have the ribbon, but also the full set of standard menus available. Other folks' mileage will vary.

Quicken is all but useless if you do any investing (but sounds like Windows Quicken is worthless nowadays as well). Stuff like that.

I don't get why Apple lets the CEO of Intuit sit on its board while Quicken is such a festering pile of crap on the Mac. The "Essentials" version is fine, and very modern, if you have very simple finances. The "more powerful" still-available 2007 version is way behind on features compared to the Windows edition, and in places still has interface elements that are in System 7 style -- a look that has been obsolete since 1998.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 06:07:42 PM »

The ribbon on Word and Excel is nowhere near as featured packed as on Windows. And little stuff like the toolbar that pops up when you highlight something on Windows Word that is missing on Mac (I overstated my dislike of the Mac version, but it really does feel like a step back after using the Windows version at work all day). It wish they would update it a bit, but MS seems to be done with Mac Office for now. Heck Word is still far better than Pages though.

I used Essentials for about 6 months, and decided it was pointless since it doesn't really support investments. I don't understand what Intuit is thinking, guess it's not worth their money to do better. I tried iBank, but something just doesn't feel right about it. Couldn't get comfortable enough with it to spend the money. Settled for forgetting about tracking investments and just went with You Need a Budget (a bit rough around the edges, but excellent software if you want to go beyond a spreadsheet).
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »

Quote from: Lee on August 30, 2013, 06:07:42 PM

The ribbon on Word and Excel is nowhere near as featured packed as on Windows. And little stuff like the toolbar that pops up when you highlight something on Windows Word that is missing on Mac (I overstated my dislike of the Mac version, but it really does feel like a step back after using the Windows version at work all day). It wish they would update it a bit, but MS seems to be done with Mac Office for now.

Mac Office always gets updated 9 to 12 months after Windows office. A Mac Office 2014 is expected at the end of this year, or late next year.

Heck Word is still far better than Pages though.

Agree to disagree. If anything is going to end up on paper, the far-better typesetting of Pages makes it a better option, in my opinion. Plus, until Microsoft gets off its butt and releases an iPad version of Office, iCloud and iWork let me keep all of my documents available to me everywhere I go.

I used Essentials for about 6 months, and decided it was pointless since it doesn't really support investments. I don't understand what Intuit is thinking, guess it's not worth their money to do better.

They've been promising a "feature complete" successor to Essentials for years now. I understand that their old Quicken for Mac codebase was so dated and unworkable that they had to start over from scratch, and I like the user interface, but some of the missing functionality is unforgivable, especially after so long. I chalk it up to lack of a major competitor on either platform.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 06:40:05 PM »

Quote from: Biyobi on August 29, 2013, 11:32:12 PM

Quote from: gellar on August 29, 2013, 06:08:08 PM

Are you running it on Win8 just because of Narrator? That can't be worth the hassle of running it on 8.

Because I'm an idiot.  I'm running 7 and 8 so I can see my products UX on all platforms, but for whatever reason chose to install Office on the 8 VM rather than the 7 VM.  I've been too lazy to change.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 01:30:18 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on August 30, 2013, 05:33:52 PM

I don't get why Apple lets the CEO of Intuit sit on its board while Quicken is such a festering pile of crap on the Mac.

To be fair, unless the universe has changed drastically, consumer versions of Quicken are pretty much piles of crap everywhere.  Clunky, outdated interfaces that are at least a half a decade behind the times are par for the course.  (I cannot speak for the biz-oriented versions; maybe they're awesome.)

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: