http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 12:32:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nook question  (Read 588 times)
Fireball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:49:01 PM »

I've always been a Kindle guy, and have a Kindle 3 (which I use alongside the Kindle app on my iPad). However, when I was at my favorite independent bookstore this weekend (BookPeople in Austin), I noticed that they now sell Google eBooks. You can buy them through their website, and Google delivers an ePub file with standard ADEPT DRM, and BookPeople gets a cut of the sale.

I'd like to support good stores like BookPeople while also avoiding purchasing any more multi-pound chunks of paper, but unfortunately my Kindle doesn't read ePubs, and the conversion service won't work with ADEPT "protected" files.

However, my understanding is that Google eBooks can be transferred to a Nook using Adobe's Digital Editions software.

I'm thinking about picking up a Nook Simple Touch -- either the next time there's a sale, if they drop their price due to the new line of cheaper Kindles or if I get some B&N gift cards at Christmas -- if it would actually be possible for me to buy ebooks from BookPeople and still read them on an e-ink device.

Has anyone ever transferred a Google eBook to a Nook using ADE? Any problems or gotchas I should be looking out for?

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:53:09 PM »

My wife recently received a Nook.  She is able to get free eBooks from our local library through their online database (includes all local libraries).  The transfer process uses Adobe Digital Editions and it is as easy as clicking on the link, waiting for the file to download into ADE, connecting the Nook, then clicking and dragging the eBook from ADE to the Nook.  That's it.  She loves it because we're big library fans and now she can get tons of eBooks for free.  Also, the service was apparently incompatible with the Kindle so in order to take advantage she had to get a Nook.  We have yet to run into any problems and ADE is as easy as Windows in terms of clicking, dragging, done. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »

Ive transferred several e-books to my Nook using Abobe and had no issues at all.  I havent transferred a Goggle book but they ones Ive transferred have all been e-pub.  I doubt it would be any different.  Ill check with a friend who also has a Nook and see if he's used that service and hopefully get back to you with a more specific answer.

By the way if you have a link to the site Ill check it out myself.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »

Thanks for the info. Were any of the books you transferred through ADE DRM-laden?

www.bookpeople.com

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 12:24:49 AM »

Yes they were.  I checked the google e-book website and they state that the Nook line is fully compatible with their ebooks.  I was glad I did because they are the only ones Ive found who carry one of my favorite books in ebook format.  Robert McCammon's  Swan Song!  Its pricey but worth it. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 05, 2011, 12:24:49 AM

I was glad I did because they are the only ones Ive found who carry one of my favorite books in ebook format.  Robert McCammon's  Swan Song!  Its pricey but worth it. 

I was all set to link to Amazon having it but they must have pulled it since I bought it.  great book, it was the first one I got once I got an actual Kindle.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 04:14:30 AM »

Something to try might be Calibre. Does a great job converting between the various formats and getting them onto your Nook or Kindle. Not sure how well it converts protected files though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 04:39:45 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on October 05, 2011, 12:24:49 AM

Yes they were.  I checked the google e-book website and they state that the Nook line is fully compatible with their ebooks.  I was glad I did because they are the only ones Ive found who carry one of my favorite books in ebook format.  Robert McCammon's  Swan Song!  Its pricey but worth it. 

Boy's Life > Swan Song

Read it if you haven't! One of my favorite books evar!

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:09:03 AM »

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it would work. Now I just need B&N to cut their price to below $100. smile

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 11:47:56 AM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 05, 2011, 05:09:03 AM

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it would work. Now I just need B&N to cut their price to below $100. smile

Considering the price drops that happened with the Kindle, I wouldnt be surprised to see sub $100 Nook prices before Christmas.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 12:57:33 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 05, 2011, 04:14:30 AM

Something to try might be Calibre. Does a great job converting between the various formats and getting them onto your Nook or Kindle. Not sure how well it converts protected files though.
Second Calibre. I've used it on all my ereaders including my various Nooks.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 05, 2011, 05:09:03 AM

Done   icon_biggrin

I have the 3G version of this and it works perfectly.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »

Alas, the original Nook is not interesting to me. The Simple Touch is the only product in the line that is something I would want. smile

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 05, 2011, 04:14:30 AM

Calibre is a great tool for converting to a Kindle-compatible format, but it won't get you past the DRM...at least not without a little extra effort.  I haven't had the need to convert protected files before, but I'm pretty sure it can be done without being too complicated...just have to do a little Google search to find the instructions...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »

Quote from: Fireball1244 on October 05, 2011, 03:13:24 PM

Alas, the original Nook is not interesting to me. The Simple Touch is the only product in the line that is something I would want. smile

The original Nook works great, I wouldnt dismiss it simply for the touch functions, they are not that big of a deal.  Still, if you must have a Touch, you may want to check out the hot deals thread on slickdeals.net  its a fantastic bargain forum where you can find the best deals on pretty much anything.  Watch for Nook touch refurbs, from B&N.  I got my Nook that way and they come with a 1 yr warranty and mine arrived in mint condition.  They are basically customer returns, not broken repairs.  That will be your best bet to find a Touch under $100. 

Regarding Calibre, its nice but redundant for your purposes as it will organize but wont handle the DRM issue, though its possible it doesnt need to.  I believe the Nook has no issues at all with Googles format and Im sure Adobe works fine for that.

Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 05:14:48 AM »

It's not really the touch controls that I care about, it's the very old, lower-quality e-ink screen. I don't like the way that text looks on the original Nook. The Nook Touch has an e-ink Pearl screen, the same panel as in the Kindle 3 and the new Kindles. That's a much, much better screen.

I'll check out the refurbs, though. That's a great idea!

walTer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »

As a recent Nook Touch owner, I absolutely love it.  It is a fine piece of hardware and is great to read on.

Kindle to Nook- 

1) Get Calibre
2) Google DRM kindle Calibre remove or something like that
3) follow the instructions for the plug in (they are very specific)
4) Upload un-drm'd books on to Nook
5) Read

Oh and the one button buy a book over wifi---VERY dangerous smile
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 05:41:36 PM »

Quote from: walTer on October 07, 2011, 03:18:18 PM

Oh and the one button buy a book over wifi---VERY dangerous smile

Tell me about it!  Its like crack, literally.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: