http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 03:39:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No more Legos  (Read 1134 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2006, 05:38:23 AM »

Or at least a lot less.

ego Group, whose iconic plastic building blocks have entertained millions of children for more than 70 years, said Tuesday it will shed 1,200 jobs to remold itself in an era when kids prefer playing with electronic gadgets.

The Denmark-based company, which is one of the last to produce toys in the United States, plans to close its U.S. manufacturing plant and lay off 300 people there in early 2007. About 900 employees in Denmark also will be sacked over the next three years.

Poduction will be moved from Enfield, Conn., to Mexico, where costs are lower, the group said in a statement. The company’s distribution facility in Enfield will also be affected, Lego said, without providing details.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13442193/from/RS.3/

That is seriously dissapointing. frown

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 11:06:25 AM »

I think our family must have been keeping them afloat these past 10 years.  We can't walk anywhere in our house barefoot without risking stepping on a lego piece.  I think they must multiply or something.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 11:45:57 AM »

At least they aren't outsourcing to India.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 02:54:43 PM »

Say it ain't so!

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 02:56:51 PM »

That sucks.  My kids love legos (and so do I).  We're looking forward to the new mindstorms, and looking at the online designer lately.

In some ways though, its no wonder kids are more interested in other forms of entertainment.  Legos are very $$$ these days.  $12 for a little can is a lot, as is the price they charge for some of the Lego kits.  I'd buy a lot more for the boys if it didn't hurt so much when I did.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:01:16 PM »

Yeah, I considered getting some Legos lately, but I balked at the price.  Maybe the move will be good for them.

Are the Lego theme parks making money?
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 05:52:03 PM »

I can remember when my son was younger, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, you could walk into Zellers and get these big huge bins of mixed lego pieces for $19.99 (or some ridiculously low price). Dont' see those around these days ...  :cry:

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 06:22:43 PM »

My sister worked for them for a number of years and, at least in the product department she was in, it sounded like they didn't have their act together at all. Very little efficency, manic last minute decisions leading to wasted time, effort and money.

Not sure if the rest of the company was run like that but from what I heard it sounded like they really needed people there with a lot better focus.
Drazzil
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 10:32:12 PM »

I used to love legos, and still do to an extent, but the kits are too expensive and I have never bought a kit where they didnt have a piece or two missing.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 02:10:29 AM »

I still buy Star Wars Legos. slywink
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 04:07:17 AM »

I never liked how it seemed that the lego "themes" became less about putting smaller pieces together to make a large whole as much as taking a handful of bizarre and ungainly "specialty" pieces and snapping them together to make the vehicle or building - or creature, even.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 05:52:56 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
I never liked how it seemed that the lego "themes" became less about putting smaller pieces together to make a large whole as much as taking a handful of bizarre and ungainly "specialty" pieces and snapping them together to make the vehicle or building - or creature, even.

I had a MASSIVE starship Lego set that took easily 10,000 pieces to build.  I shudder to think of the price.  I used to build the craziest stuff out of that thing and just make smaller fighter ships instead of the big behemoth ship.  Far more fun to use your imagination...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 02:52:56 PM »

That was from one of Lego's standard theme sets? Coooool! Oh man, now I want to find one of those insanely and frighteningly geeky websites that has pictures of every Lego product ever made, cause I wanna see that bad boy.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 04:29:20 PM »

I never had any Legos until I was about forty. Then I got an urge to buy a bunch and build a town for my Lionel trains. I love toy trains and they seemed to fit right in.
It's a shame they're changing direction. They were a fun toy for boys of all ages.

Ye Olde Farte
ArmyOfOne
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 06:21:07 PM »

I'm not sure which is more pathetic.  The fact that I got this for Fathers Day.

Or the fact that I don't have kids.  They were a gift from my cats.

However it looks great on the shelf next to the other 6 Star Wars Sets.

:oops:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: