http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:32:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No More Analog TV in 2009  (Read 1063 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2005, 07:30:02 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20050713/tc_usatoday/broadcastersacceptnewdeadlinefordigitaltvsignals

Its been rumored for so long, but apparently its done and done.

"Broadcasters accept Congress will implement a 2009 date for the end of analog broadcasting."

Under current law, broadcasters must return their analog channels to the government by Dec. 31, 2006, but only in markets where 85% of homes can receive digital signals. It could take decades to meet that threshold. Only about 5 million Americans have bought digital tuners that can receive digital shows via regular antennas or have special digital cable-TV boxes.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 08:24:31 PM »

about bloody time.

I don't even have HDTV but I think the push to digital for broadcast will help lower the cost for people like me.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 08:39:15 PM »

Correct, multiplexing is the key there.  They can stuff more signal into the same space.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 12:26:26 AM »

Yeah, I don't buy that they're actually going to stick to that date either.  If they don't have to switch over, they're just going to keep using the extra channels that they have until the earth explodes.  If they have th option, most people won't spend the money to switch over unless they have to.  Thus, we never reach that magic 85% number, and another date will go by.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 02:41:40 AM »

Thats very cool.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 02:42:08 AM »

Actually, I think they will stick to that date, and for this reason :

They can sell the freed up low frequency band (this is the good stuff, it travels through walls, whereas the high-band has problems) to major corporations for BIG MONEY. They'z all like : suck it up, America. Get DTV (Digital TV, not the same as HDTV). All your satellite is DTV. Any newer channels added to your cable provider is DTV. For instance, if I want to get the latest "Frogs having sex with paper towels" channel, it is only available on "Shaw Digital" meaning I need a DTV converter.

mmmm... bounty....

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 02:59:05 AM »

I thought this "deadline" had already been extended.  Maybe I should go look that up...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 03:57:26 PM »

Pfft. Analog TV is so 2004.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 04:22:12 PM »

Can you use your regular analog TV to see the digital programs,only without the high definition? I have DISH satellite now and some of the channels are supposed to be HD and yet I can still see them all okay.

Ye Olde Farte
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 04:49:14 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
Can you use your regular analog TV to see the digital programs,only without the high definition? I have DISH satellite now and some of the channels are supposed to be HD and yet I can still see them all okay.

As has been said, there is a difference between Digital TV (DTV) and HD TV. Since you have Dish, you're already receiving all your channels in DTV. Your Dish receiver converts the digital signal to an analog signal so your TV can process it.

As for seeing HD channels, my guess is Dish is broadcasting some channels in HD and standard definition (SD), and you're just seeing the SD feed. All HD receivers are capable of  downconverting an HD picture to a standard TV resolution, however.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 04:51:17 PM »

Quote from: "Chaz"
Yeah, I don't buy that they're actually going to stick to that date either.  If they don't have to switch over, they're just going to keep using the extra channels that they have until the earth explodes.  If they have th option, most people won't spend the money to switch over unless they have to.  Thus, we never reach that magic 85% number, and another date will go by.

I would bet they will stick to this date, for the reasons mentioned above and because the current bill being debated also discusses subisidies for helping people buy converter boxes. So, when the switchover happens, people will be able to apply for a waiver to get a set-top box that will allow them to see digital TV on their current sets.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 06:36:12 PM »

I wonder what Lorax's pithy explanation for (or against) this would be.   :shock:

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 09:34:44 PM »

Goddamnit don't mention his name over here. Its bad enough we have to deal with him over there, but if he comes here I swear to god I am going to break into the mod toolshed and whip out the ban tools myself  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: