http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 11:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nissan Leaf  (Read 462 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:59:43 AM »

Does anyone own a Nissan Leaf?

Right now they are offering a 3 year lease for $199 which is basically the cost of what I pay for gas each month. I could easily go to work three days on one single charge, and with practically no maintainence cost this seems to be a no brainer for a commuter car. What's even better is that I get free parking across the street and free charging there.

Just curious on what other owners think of the car
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:21:41 AM »

A friend has one, and he loves it. Said its the best car he has owned in the past several years.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »

Well, you will be screwed in the upcoming Zombie Apocalypse when all the electricity goes out (although the noise reduction will be a plus until the vehicle dies)

That being said, I don't own one, but went to look this up... It does sound like an interesting idea, for some people and I do like some of the "cool" features, but, just from looking on the Nissan website, here is what I come up with.

1) It is really only good as a commuter car. something where your round trip is less than 80 miles. Trying to take long trips doesn't seem feasible right now, due to the range limitations and charging requirements. Looks like maximum range is around 90 miles give or take and will also depend on if you are using heat or AC... So a 200 mile trip for a quick weekend getaway will require a lot of pre-planning. You'd have to plan your route to include fill stations along the way (if there are any) and hope the place you are staying at has a fill station or some way to access an electrical outlet.(meaning if you are in a hotel, you'd probably have to stay at an economy one and on the first floor AND leave your room door open)
2) This is really a vehicle for home owners only. you will have to pay $2000 + to install a permanent electrical fill station in the home. Not sure if it would be worth it for a tenant to pay for that or if you can get the homeowers permission.
3) Could be bad if you start running low or if there is an uneven power drain and you are in the boonies somewhere...

So, if you dont have a worry about the range and are a homeowner, it might not be a bad idea...
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:19:37 PM »

I think it depends on where you live too.  Some states are putting electric car hook ups (plug ins?) along some of their more trafficked routes to encourage more electric car use.  I've noticed the plug ins now at some of the major airports I fly through too, and they are usually right up near the front of the parking garages by the handicap spots.  I've been driving a prius for the past 2 years as my commuter car, and I'm a bit envious of the plug in cars.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »

Here in Va., I learned that most Walgreens drug stores (newer ones anyway) have free charging stations at them. A few car dealerships have them too, and some newer retail developments in my area put them in their new parking garages, often very close to the store entrance. afik, the ones around here are free to use -- they're really more of an enticement for you to want to drive your electric car to the store or retail center and spend some money shopping, rather than on juicing up your car. I suspect when electric cars become more common, places will be more likely to charge for station charger use.

I'm more interested in the Chevy Volt because of its gas-powered generator to keep the engine going when battery power is used up and supposedly peppy low end torque/performance, but the $39,000+ price I just can't stomach.

While the Volt and Leaf can plug in to regular outlets, I believe the dealers can arrange for a contractor to install a high capacity outlet/charging station that can charge the car a lot faster.

If you're a condo resident like me, I just don't think an all-electric car's going to work for me. If you have a house and ready access to an outlet (whether or not you get the special outlet/station installed), it seems a more reasonable situation.

I believe there are some web sites where you can enter your zip code to see what public charging stations are in your area.

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »

You can use a normal 120v power to charge. It will just take longer.  Sacramento has a bunch of charging stations and one right across the street from me that offers free parking and free charging.

Work is 15.6 miles one way so i could easily go to work for 2 days for 1 charge.   

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »

Quote from: naednek on January 14, 2013, 06:40:37 PM

You can use a normal 120v power to charge. It will just take longer.  Sacramento has a bunch of charging stations and one right across the street from me that offers free parking and free charging.

Work is 15.6 miles one way so i could easily go to work for 2 days for 1 charge.   

I think the lease price you quoted is good, and you have charging stations nearby.  Seems like a nice option.  The story I saw on the growing # of charging stations in some states spotlighted California and I think Washington as 2 states where you can get around pretty well already with an electric car.  I get about 420-430 miles on a full tank (9 gallons), but to be able to never have to fill up, or to get 700 miles with a plug-in hyrid, that would be awesome.   
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:18:19 PM »

The Detroit Auto Show is going on right now and apparently Nissan just announced a significant price decrease for the Leaf, dropping it down to $28k or so.  Might be worth looking at the buy versus lease scenario again.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:27:04 PM »

Ken I'm pretty sure there's a $10K federal tax credit on this thing too.  That may really swing your decision towards positive, so look into it.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 03:14:48 AM »

I found a 7500 tax credit for federal and a 2500 rebate with CA.

TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 09:37:27 PM »

I have a friend that owns a Volt and he LOVES it.  I live in Michigan so the cold weather does become somewhat of a factor since heat requires electricity and batteries just don't perform as well in the cold.

A few extras to consider:  His charging station was completely paid for by a $2500 grant from our local power company to encourage electric car usage.  His charging station has a separate meter to take advantage of lower electric rates given to charge electric cars.  His car is programmed, thru an ap on his phone, to charge during off peak hours as much as possible to use an even lower rate.  He has a 10k miles per year lease and he is only paying $250-ish per month, that federal credit really helps with lease rates.  When he took it on a multi state trip he averaged 45mpg driving mainly on generator power. And when driving it in the mountains the battery charged up alot whenever he had a downhill stretch.

Oh ya, and they are making a Cadillac plug in if your looking to class it up. smile
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:47:06 PM by TheEgoWhip » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: