http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 02:12:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Season 2011-2012  (Read 20503 times)
theohall
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 05, 2012, 05:53:59 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on April 05, 2012, 05:02:21 PM

Quote from: theohall on April 05, 2012, 02:47:23 PM

Of course there was absolutely zero bias in Steen being sent off for hitting Bertuzzi after a whistle and Franzen not being penalized at all for this well after the end of the 2nd period horn had sounded:

Franzen punching Backes and drawing blood well after 2nd period play has ended.  But tihs is not a penalty, supposedly.  I think all future opponents should be allowed to punch Franzen square in the face after the whistle has gone and he not be allowed to retaliate.  No penalties should be assessed.  Then - this is a perfectly legal play.

But I am supposedly just making this shit up.  Even the NBC announcers were wondering why there was no call on Franzen.

LOL, I see what you did there.

FYI - none of the Blues announcers were part of the NBC crew for this game.  It was Emrick, Olczyk, and McGuire.  None have a damn thing to do with the Blues.  Olzcyk spent 90% of the game fellating the Wings even when they were giving up a shortie and not getting any shots on a major power play.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 05, 2012, 08:22:55 PM »

But but but ...I thought NBC was Nothing BUT Crosby!?
 Roll Eyes

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 05, 2012, 09:26:31 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 05, 2012, 05:20:02 PM

Quote from: gellar on April 05, 2012, 03:43:45 PM

Quote from: theohall on April 05, 2012, 02:47:23 PM

Of course there was absolutely zero bias in Steen being sent off for hitting Bertuzzi after a whistle and Franzen not being penalized at all for this well after the end of the 2nd period horn had sounded:

Franzen punching Backes and drawing blood well after 2nd period play has ended.  But tihs is not a penalty, supposedly.  I think all future opponents should be allowed to punch Franzen square in the face after the whistle has gone and he not be allowed to retaliate.  No penalties should be assessed.  Then - this is a perfectly legal play.

But I am supposedly just making this shit up.  Even the NBC announcers were wondering why there was no call on Franzen.

Oh you.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mqwlbj

Paris!

Yesterday, Monaco.  Tonight, Paris.  Tomorrow, Rome.  Sunday, sadly, home.

Word up.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 05, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »

But I am supposedly just making this shit up.
If only you could talk about hockey instead of only ever whining about hockey...  

I haven't seen the Steen/Bertuzzi thing, so I can't comment on that.  The Franzen/Backes thing could be a penalty, but we weren't on the ice and only saw the end of the exchange, so we don't know what led up to that, and how that affected what the Refs called/did not call.  If Franzen just skated up and did that to Backes, I'd call it a roughing penalty too.  With the refs right there, I imagine there is more to the story since they didn't call it.

Like I said, I can't comment on the Steen/Bertuzzi thing since I didn't see it and the replay isn't up yet, but there is often a LOT of stuff that goes on when two guys are standing face to face and talking shit that isn't called. For all teams.  You are just hyper sensitive about this team for some reason, and watching with the preconception that they are always going to try something dirty, and always get away with it.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 05, 2012, 10:34:39 PM »

Quote from: kratz on April 05, 2012, 09:46:17 PM

But I am supposedly just making this shit up.
VRWC.

Fixed that.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: April 06, 2012, 12:51:50 AM »

Oh, no no no no no....

Neuvirth was hurt in the 2nd period. Caps have a lead and might win this one... but if he's out for any length of time, that's basically a killer for the Caps. Vokoun's done for the season, Holtby is young and unsteady, Sabourin is just not an NHL starter right now, Grubeauer is done for the year with wrist surgery, and the next guy down in the system doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

If the Sabres win tonight, I'm not at all comfortable about the Caps' chances even if they hold the lead. Holtby could get lit up at MSG like he did in Buffalo, easy, and I don't see Miller laying an egg at this stage.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 06, 2012, 01:34:29 AM »

Sorry, Isgrimnur. It was a HELL of a run back from last place, though, and the Sabres are going to have a lot of good years with Pegula at the helm.

For what it's worth - the Sabres with Miller probably would get farther than the Caps will with Holtby. But I'll worry about the state of our goaltenders tomorrow - for now I'm going to the bar to celebrate.

Edit: Oh... and Brooks Laich might not be Mark Messier, like Miller said - but he was first star of the game with 1G and 1A after guaranteeing the playoffs. Don't poke the tire-changer with a sharp stick.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:37:32 AM by Clanwolfer » Logged

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 06, 2012, 01:41:11 AM »

Devils look pretty damn good.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 06, 2012, 01:56:58 AM »

Didn't like the offense tonight, but a win in Detroit is huge no matter how and when.

Good luck in the playoffs, kratz.

Locked into 6th now. Where are they going?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 06, 2012, 02:45:10 AM »

Dallas out. Sharks in if avs continue to lose to Columbus or if they get at least 1 point.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 06, 2012, 03:34:56 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 06, 2012, 02:45:10 AM

Dallas out. Sharks in if avs continue to lose to Columbus or if they get at least 1 point.

CO lost, so Sharks are in.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 06, 2012, 04:33:10 AM »

Thanks, CW. Too little, too late, but t least there's some hope for the future. Kinda sad to see Miller miss the playoffs. At least he can cry himself to sleep clutching his silver medal.

My Stars buddy at work is going to be inconsolable tomorrow.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 06, 2012, 05:34:59 AM »

Yay Sharks!!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 06, 2012, 06:16:53 AM »

Wow, seems like I missed an interesting game.  Kings score 5 and still lose and apparently Clowe interfered from the bench in OT with no call on the play at all.  We'll have to see how the hockey gods treat that level of blatant cheating.  VRWC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvBfc2phEV4&feature=player_embedded

Wish I could watch tomorrow's game.  Quick typically bounces back well from poor outings.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 06, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »

That was truly a bizarre game. Kings were all over the Sharks in the first period yet could only manage a 1-1 tie. Then the Kings had a two goal lead because the Sharks couldn't kill off penalties if their lives depended on it. This game had everything:

-Clowe's bizarre interference from the bench which I have never seen in all my years of watching hockey.
-TWO Gordie Howe hat tricks by the Sharks- Clowe and Thornton (there is something seriously wrong if Joe freaking Thornton gets a GH hat trick)
-Thornton schooling Doughty in a fight.
-and of course the game had to end in a shootout

Kings had a golden opportunity to lock up the Pacific and just could not match up with the Sharks will. The Sharks top players all showed up and dug real deep to gut out the two points.

Now we need the Coyotes to lose Friday night in order to set up the Saturday game in San Jose for the Pacific division title. Winner gets either Chicago or Detroit while the loser gets either Vancouver or St. Louis in the playoffs. It's gonna be epic.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 06, 2012, 08:24:36 AM »

The most bizarre thing to me is some hfboards people clamoring for a Clowe suspension based on the 'leaving the bench' rule.    That's a weird application if I've ever seen it.

I wouldn't be shocked if he got a fine though.  The league probably has to do something to save face.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 06, 2012, 12:02:35 PM »

As Caps fan,
*Thank you, Philly! Next cheese steak is on us.  icon_smile
*Ryan Miller, shut up and enjoy the golf courses!  icon_smile

Now we can see if limping into the playoffs (top two goaltenders out with injuries now) as a mediocre, erratic regular season team puts us in better playoff condition than being an overrated regular season juggernaut (as with the last three seasons, for the most part). And if it doesn't make any difference, hey, it'll just be more of the same.  icon_razz

Like most Caps fans I enjoyed, maybe even adored Coach Bruce Boudreau but I'm excited to see whether a different coach and mostly staff (aside from holdover Dean Evason) can get a better playoff performance. I'm still not sure our team as composed is well-suited to the forechecking-heavy scheme Dale Hunter prefers, but now we get to see if it makes any difference at all in the games that really matter.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:24:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 06, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »

Not really sure what Clowe was doing on that play, but it was no bueno for sure.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 06, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 06, 2012, 02:03:40 PM

Not really sure what Clowe was doing on that play, but it was no bueno for sure.

It was a pretty nice poke check.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 06, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »

Certainly effective...

When was the last time the Kings scored 5 goals in a game?  That's a rarity...

Watching condensed game... LOL @ Doughty's combat skills.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 06, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »

Quote from: kratz on April 06, 2012, 02:47:21 PM

Certainly effective...

When was the last time the Kings scored 5 goals in a game?  That's a rarity...

Watching condensed game... LOL @ Doughty's combat skills.

Pretty recently IIRC. They've actually lead the league in goals since the Carter acquisition. Hope he makes it back for the playoffs.

And yeah, we now know definitively that a doughnut cannot fight. Don't do that again, Drew. Though taking Thornton out for 7 mins was probably a good move.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 06, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »

I didn't realize Carter was hurt...

Man, Kings had several really close chances.  I should've watched this whole game.

Devil - that was the first Devils game I've really watched this season, I think... their PK is on it - lots of good pressure.  I was surprised the Wings scored on the PP against that... it was just a really good play to get Brodeur out of position on that goal.  The Wings definitely had more offensive pressure, but not a lot of good chances.  I wouldn't feel bad about the Devils' offense against the Wings at home.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 06, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »

The Williams goals were both sick! Love that sort of stuff.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 06, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »

Well, we can be sure if Clowe isn't punished that the Sharks winning benefits the Wings and/or hurts the Blues in some way.

VRWC

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 06, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »

Interesting blog breakdown of the Caps' possible first round opponents
*I know from the past couple playoff seasons' heartbreak these mean nothing (I didn't see us blowing a 3-1 series lead to Montreal or getting wiped clean by Tampa last year). I mean, whatever looks like a "better" match up on paper could be a playoff catastrophe.

I think the poll results are ridiculous though -- who wants to face Martin Brodeur (37-17-4 lifetime against the Caps) in a first round series? And their trapping system gives the Caps fits sometimes. Caps have done surprisingly well against the Bruins this year but I suspect G Tim Thomas will pick it up for the playoffs. Rangers' G Lundqvist has been outstanding this season but has been really the only goalie the Caps have consistently solved in the playoffs in recent years (8-4 against him).

Caps' analyst Alan May actually thinks the Rangers are the best match up mainly because they don't have a lot of speedy players that can run rings around us (as Tampa did in the playoffs last season), and the Caps have had enough success against Lundqvist not to be intimidated.

So I think we're screwed no matter what, and I look forward to the suspense being over.  icon_smile

*I'm betting the Pittsburgh-Philly series will be bruising and something to see.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:33:09 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 06, 2012, 04:54:36 PM »

The Pens/Flyers series is going to be brutal, I just hope that when the dust settles my Pens will be the ones left standing without too many serious injuries.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 06, 2012, 05:19:01 PM »

My Love/Hate relationship with Torts was on the Love side last night.

League will punish him!

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 06, 2012, 05:29:50 PM »

My opinion on the hit last night by Orpik was that he got out of position while trying to line up Stepan.  Stepan cut inside and so Orpik tried to just get a piece of him.  I don't really believe it was an intentional knee-on-knee hit.  The call on the ice was the right call and I would expect to see a 1 game suspension.  That said, I don't think it was some sort of intentionally dirty hit like Torts would have you believe. 

Where was his outrage at his own team when Mike Rupp had a very similar hit on Jordan Staal earlier in the season?
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 06, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on April 06, 2012, 03:09:25 PM

Well, we can be sure if Clowe isn't punished that the Sharks winning benefits the Wings and/or hurts the Blues in some way.

VRWC

LOL, no punishment will be handed out. Not even a fine. The league office says the poke check from the bench would normally just be a 2 minute minor penalty, and since none of the refs saw it, it's nothing more than a missed call. Wow, NHL refs screwing up a penalty call?? Who would have thought that?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 06, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on April 06, 2012, 05:29:50 PM

My opinion on the hit last night by Orpik was that he got out of position while trying to line up Stepan.  Stepan cut inside and so Orpik tried to just get a piece of him.  I don't really believe it was an intentional knee-on-knee hit.  The call on the ice was the right call and I would expect to see a 1 game suspension.  That said, I don't think it was some sort of intentionally dirty hit like Torts would have you believe. 

Where was his outrage at his own team when Mike Rupp had a very similar hit on Jordan Staal earlier in the season?

I think Torts was just frustrated and yapping, like he tends to do. This time it happened to be about the Pens, so it made me giggle.

I don't hate the Pens, just the perception that they ARE the league.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 06, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on April 06, 2012, 05:39:55 PM

VRWC

LOL, no punishment will be handed out. Not even a fine. The league office says the poke check from the bench would normally just be a 2 minute minor penalty, and since none of the refs saw it, it's nothing more than a missed call. Wow, NHL refs screwing up a penalty call?? Who would have thought that?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/sharks-ryane-clowe-receives-no-supplemental-discipline-playing-162421687.html
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 06, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 06, 2012, 06:16:14 PM

VRWC

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/sharks-ryane-clowe-receives-no-supplemental-discipline-playing-162421687.html

Quote from: leo8877 on April 06, 2012, 06:16:14 PM

VRWC

This reeks of the VRWC's work.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »

A completely stupid play by Clowe, but man I was laughing so hard at his answer about the play in the post-game interviews:

“I have no idea what you guys are talking about,” Clowe said. “I’ll have to see the video or something. Someone show me the video.”
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:55 PM »

Quote from: Devil on April 06, 2012, 05:46:57 PM

Hmm...that must be a south-of-the-border thing. Up here in Canada the hockey brass very much hold the perception that the Leafs are the league, which is about as sad and hilarious at the same time as you can get.  Roll Eyes
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 06, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 06, 2012, 06:34:55 PM

Hmm...that must be a south-of-the-border thing. Up here in Canada the hockey brass very much hold the perception that the Leafs are the league, which is about as sad and hilarious at the same time as you can get.  Roll Eyes

WTF does Mexico have to do with this?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 06, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 06, 2012, 06:38:50 PM

Hmm...that must be a south-of-the-border thing. Up here in Canada the hockey brass very much hold the perception that the Leafs are the league, which is about as sad and hilarious at the same time as you can get.  Roll Eyes

Hate to tell you, but out of all the national origins of players, Canada still has the largest % - almost 50% of the league. So yeah, when I'm talking borders I'm talking in reference to the nation that counts, not borders based on the skewed economics of North America.  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 07:44:07 PM by kronovan » Logged
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 06, 2012, 07:29:37 PM

Hate to tell you, but out of all the national origins of players, Canada still has the largest % - almost 50% of the league. So yeah, when I'm talking borders I'm talking in reference to the nation that counts, not borders based on the skewed economics of North America.  icon_twisted

Isn't Canada the 51st state aka Hat?

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 06, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »

Canada: More people that California - barely.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 06, 2012, 08:08:34 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on April 06, 2012, 07:50:52 PM

Quote from: kronovan on April 06, 2012, 07:29:37 PM

Isn't Canada the 51st state aka Hat?

Lol. Well heck yeah most definitely we are economically, but not when it comes to NHL franchises. When it comes to that we're apparently another distant, frozen planet, in which a relocated franchise might dissapear beneath the ice or permafrost. And oh yeah, the Tea Party up here is different - they really do drink tea, hang pictures of Queen Elizabeth on their walls and about the only thing they like about the NHL is that the top prize is named after Lord Stanley.  icon_twisted
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 06, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 06, 2012, 08:07:29 PM

Canada: More people that California - barely.

I thought California had more?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: