http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 11:02:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Season 2011-2012  (Read 20139 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2011, 05:06:04 AM »

Quote from: Rowdy on November 20, 2011, 05:03:44 AM

If Whitney wasn't made of glass, he'd fill the role fine.  Gilbert is looking much improved this year too.  I had lots of doubts about him as even a 3 or 4 D but this year hes been handling heavy minutes, mentoring and covering for AHL players much of the time.

Wonder when Khabibulin is going to turn back into a pumpkin.  This can't last.

With Whitney (or someone like Whitney) they will be a very, very good team.  With an all-star defender, they'd be an elite team.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2011, 05:43:14 AM »

Eight straight wins for Boston and they're still only a point from 12th place. I hate 3 point games.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2011, 12:45:23 PM »

Wow Canadian teams were rocking the back of the net tonight I think they got about 24 goals between 4 teams!
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2011, 12:59:18 PM »

Crosby returns tonight!

I can't believe it has been nearly a year since Sid last played a game, and just wish I would be able to get tickets to tonights game, but that just isn't gonna happen.  Looking at Stubhub, there are only 50 tickets up for sale, with the lowest price being around $150, similar prices on the pens ticket exchange site.

I imagine even on TV folks will be able to hear a collective gasp the first time Sid gets hit, and then a collective sigh when he shakes it off.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »

NHL.com has an interesting series of videos called "missed opportunities".  I love this one of a Dallas player  completely missing a totally open net and his team pays the price.  Probably a couple of years old but I've been in Japan since 2005 so I've missed a lot of replays!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2011, 01:40:20 PM »

Was at the Pats game so missed the collapse in FLA.

Time to make a move!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on November 21, 2011, 12:59:18 PM

Crosby returns tonight!

I can't believe it has been nearly a year since Sid last played a game, and just wish I would be able to get tickets to tonights game, but that just isn't gonna happen.  Looking at Stubhub, there are only 50 tickets up for sale, with the lowest price being around $150, similar prices on the pens ticket exchange site.

I imagine even on TV folks will be able to hear a collective gasp the first time Sid gets hit, and then a collective sigh when he shakes it off.

We went to see the Pens Saturday night against the Panthers. We were all hoping Crosby would return that night, but instead he sat out and we even got the back-up goalie instead. Then the very next game Sid comes back and scores 4 points?  crybaby

At least the game was on TV down here last night.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 22, 2011, 01:46:18 PM

We went to see the Pens Saturday night against the Panthers. We were all hoping Crosby would return that night, but instead he sat out and we even got the back-up goalie instead. Then the very next game Sid comes back and scores 4 points?  crybaby

We were at that game. I got season tix since it's close, cheap for a pro sports team and family friendly (my boys love the fights). I think I was also at the last Pens game down here when Crosby got into a fight. The place went nuts.

We had quite the sports weekend. HS football playoffs on Friday night, hockey Saturday and Fins game on Sunday and I don't even really like sports!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 02:15:33 PM by Jag » Logged
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »

I guess Crosby doesn't have any rust after that 10 month break.  His mustache needs some serious work though.  Movember or not, that thing has got to go!
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2011, 03:17:12 AM »

Quote from: Jag on November 22, 2011, 02:13:36 PM

Quote from: msteelers on November 22, 2011, 01:46:18 PM

We went to see the Pens Saturday night against the Panthers. We were all hoping Crosby would return that night, but instead he sat out and we even got the back-up goalie instead. Then the very next game Sid comes back and scores 4 points?  crybaby

We were at that game. I got season tix since it's close, cheap for a pro sports team and family friendly (my boys love the fights). I think I was also at the last Pens game down here when Crosby got into a fight. The place went nuts.

We had quite the sports weekend. HS football playoffs on Friday night, hockey Saturday and Fins game on Sunday and I don't even really like sports!

I must apologize to you then. I was probably the obnoxious drunk in the upper section. Those damn Molsen's caught up to me quick.

Which HS game were you at? I do radio for the high school teams up on the treasure coast. Our teams did not do well.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2011, 07:57:22 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 22, 2011, 04:03:00 PM

I guess Crosby doesn't have any rust after that 10 month break.  His mustache needs some serious work though.  Movember or not, that thing has got to go!

Yeah that thing is pathetic-what the hell is he thinking? He doesn't look too young without it or anything.

Also what the hell is up with my beloved Maple Leafs? How can you kill Washington 7-1 one game and then lose to a team like Carolina and then kill TB 7-1 the next game?
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »

The scheduling on the Carolina game was bullshit. 5pm on the road the day after playing a 7pm game at home Saturday night? The team got in at 4am into NC. That basically means sleep and back at the rink for the game with no morning skate or practice.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on November 23, 2011, 03:17:12 AM

Which HS game were you at? I do radio for the high school teams up on the treasure coast. Our teams did not do well.

We're in Broward. University School against Cardinal Newman.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »

Theo - Why were the Blues wearing white at home last night?

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »

No idea on the home whites thing.  Have heard talk on NHL Radio about teams going back to wearing home whites the way it was until sometime in the 90s. 

On the game last night, Doughty better get the same 3-game suspension they gave Chris Stewart.  With the game almost over, he cross-checked Oshie into the boards from behind - almost exactly the same way Chris Stewart hit Kronwall - yet was only given a minor penalty, instead of the major they gave to Stewart in an earlier game.  Maybe Oshie should have lain there like a dead fish the way Kronwall did. 

Nothing will probably happen, though, because it wasn't a Wings player getting hit from behind into the boards in an awkward position.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »

Yeah I'm thinking it'll be a 2 gamer or just a fine because it's Drew Doughty.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »

I should add I am sort of interested in a suspension in that it may mean Thomas Hickey makes his NHL debut... which is somewhat long overdue.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2011, 04:38:33 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 23, 2011, 04:21:55 PM

Yeah I'm thinking it'll be a 2 gamer or just a fine because it's Drew Doughty.

I thought the same when it came to Stewart, because he had zero prior incidents of this kind.  Will be interesting to see what happens and if I should be outraged - which no suspension would likely cause.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »

At least have the decency to link the video.   disgust

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2011, 05:38:58 PM »

For comparison sake - Stewart hit on Kronwall which everyone agreed deserved a suspension.  So why is it even in doubt irt Doughty??
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »

OOOOOR he gets nothing, because he is Drew Doughty:

The Kings have not heard anything in terms of supplemental discipline for Drew Doughty, for his hit on T.J. Oshie last night, so itís doubtful that any is coming.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2011, 06:06:42 PM »

Completely ridiculous!!!!  <insert statement of outrage!!!!>
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »

Quote from: theohall on November 23, 2011, 06:06:42 PM

Completely ridiculous!!!!  <insert statement of outrage!!!!>

I was wrong!  He's apparently getting a $2,500 fine.  ONOS.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »

Approx. 1 minute of his time.

"Goonies never say die"
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »

Puck Daddy has a post breaking down why they think he didn't get suspended, and for the most part I buy it.  I wouldn't have minded a suspension though.  Their core argument:

Doughty told Andy Strickland that he felt Oshie turned away from the contact suddenly, which, if true, would have turned a shot to the ribs into a shot to the spine:

I thought he turned at the last minute, I was just trying to finish my man. I saw him take a peek and maybe I should have done a shoulder hit as opposed to a cross-check but I had no intention of hurting him and I hope he's okay."

If you watch the clip again, you can see that Oshie does appear to put his back to Doughty in order to shield the puck but, whether he did or he didn't, the fact that it's a possibility is likely why Doughty avoided a ban.

Consider: immediately prior to contact, Oshie is going north-south. In order for him to go headfirst into the side boards, he has to turn somewhat. Stewart on Kronwall differs in that Kronwall is skating towards the side boards, east to west, and Stewart is directly behind him. Stewart sees Kronwall's numbers the entire time -- it can only be a shove from behind.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »

The Boston/Buffalo rematch, a.k.a. The Running of the Goalies, is tonight. How many Sabres will give Lucic menacing looks? Will Tim Thomas get more penalties than he draws? Will the referees flip out and hand out misconducts to anyone who bumps into another player? Tune in and find out!
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 23, 2011, 09:50:52 PM

Puck Daddy has a post breaking down why they think he didn't get suspended, and for the most part I buy it.  I wouldn't have minded a suspension though.  Their core argument:

Doughty told Andy Strickland that he felt Oshie turned away from the contact suddenly, which, if true, would have turned a shot to the ribs into a shot to the spine:

I thought he turned at the last minute, I was just trying to finish my man. I saw him take a peek and maybe I should have done a shoulder hit as opposed to a cross-check but I had no intention of hurting him and I hope he's okay."

If you watch the clip again, you can see that Oshie does appear to put his back to Doughty in order to shield the puck but, whether he did or he didn't, the fact that it's a possibility is likely why Doughty avoided a ban.

Consider: immediately prior to contact, Oshie is going north-south. In order for him to go headfirst into the side boards, he has to turn somewhat. Stewart on Kronwall differs in that Kronwall is skating towards the side boards, east to west, and Stewart is directly behind him. Stewart sees Kronwall's numbers the entire time -- it can only be a shove from behind.

Kronwall stopped skating which made the contact worse than it should have been, which conveniently is not mentioned. A hit from behind into the boards is a hit from behind into the boards.  Should have been a suspension.
Chris Stewart had no intention of hurting Kronwall, either.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2011, 10:42:14 PM »

I think you're sort of missing the point.  The reasoning that this was 'not as bad' as the Stewart hit was that Doughty had a plausible excuse (he turned) whereas Stewart had literally no excuse.  Stewart was staring at the #s the entire time.

Regardless, the fine puts Doughty on the Shanaban Naughty list, which given his rough play style (that I enjoy), means he's probably going to be suspended once this year for something.  Hopefully for fucking hipchecking the shit out of someone:

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2011, 11:30:30 PM »

Did you see this one of the Kings Captain vs. a water bottle?

http://youtu.be/s63sQ1jo_JM
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2011, 11:49:18 PM »

Quote from: Koz on November 23, 2011, 09:52:11 PM

The Boston/Buffalo rematch, a.k.a. The Running of the Goalies, is tonight. How many Sabres will give Lucic menacing looks? Will Tim Thomas get more penalties than he draws? Will the referees flip out and hand out misconducts to anyone who bumps into another player? Tune in and find out!

You'd think a Sabres team with Robyn Regehr on it would be tougher.

Maybe Regehr's gone soft now that he's left Calgary.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2011, 11:53:57 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 23, 2011, 11:30:30 PM

Did you see this one of the Kings Captain vs. a water bottle?

http://youtu.be/s63sQ1jo_JM

See, this is why the whole 'Dustin Brown is a diver' argument doesn't fly with me.  He's just a complete and total spaz.
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 23, 2011, 10:42:14 PM

I think you're sort of missing the point.  The reasoning that this was 'not as bad' as the Stewart hit was that Doughty had a plausible excuse (he turned) whereas Stewart had literally no excuse.  Stewart was staring at the #s the entire time.

Regardless, the fine puts Doughty on the Shanaban Naughty list, which given his rough play style (that I enjoy), means he's probably going to be suspended once this year for something.  Hopefully for fucking hipchecking the shit out of someone:

So Kronwall literally stopping skating meant nothing.   That is my argument.  Positioning mattered.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2011, 01:27:21 AM »

Quote from: theohall on November 24, 2011, 12:24:34 AM

So Kronwall literally stopping skating meant nothing.   That is my argument.  Positioning mattered.

I don't think it did, to be honest.  If he stopped and Stewart incidentally ran into him, OK sure it's a non incident.  But Stewart was in the rear position the entire time, Kronwall slowed and Stewart completed his check (which he was never in position to make, in my opnion).  At no point from Stewart's position from even chasing at the middle of the ice was he in a position to hit Kronwall in any clean fashion.  Doughty, it could be argued, was.  Hence the 3 games versus the fine.

Again I'm not arguing Doughty didn't deserve some sort of suspension, but it's pretty clear to me that Stewart's hit was 'worse' because he has literally no argument to make other than 'Oops... didn't mean to do that.'
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2011, 01:53:34 AM »

At least you agree Doughty deserved a suspension.

Waiting for the game to end to comment on Cindy.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »

Dominated at home by Columbus.

Time to make a move!

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2011, 02:51:34 AM »

Parise for Bernier!
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2011, 03:14:47 AM »

And Cindey Crosby still has not scored a goal against the St Louis Blues.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2011, 04:11:23 AM »

Kings melted down tonight pretty hardcore.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2011, 05:36:24 AM »

Quote from: gellar on November 24, 2011, 02:51:34 AM

Parise for Bernier!

Nope. You signed the guy I wanted.

Zach's been kinda poopy so far too. Didn't play for a year so it's to be expected.

theohall

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2011, 05:56:45 AM »

Cindey vs the Blues

6 GP, 0 G, 4 A, -2, 10 PIM, 17 shots, average ice time went down from 21:17 since he only played 18:41. 6 PIM will do that.

He has not scored goals against only three other teams in the league - Chicago (2 GP), Edmonton (4 GP), and San Jose (4 GP).

Being a bunch of turtling, whining at the refs, bitches did not help them this evening.  smile

Watching the game on DVR... Crosby blatantly interferes with Elliott on the Penguins first goal.... no call.  I guess the "it is not open season on goalies" thing does not apply to Crosby.  While he only skated into Elliott's stick - it is still interference.  Not calling it means players will push that envelope until penalties are called.  Just because it's Cindey, doesn't make it a non-penalty.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:42:45 AM by theohall » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: