http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:04:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 40948 times)
SzechuanLlama
Gaming Trend Reader

the bottom line...

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: June 05, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on June 05, 2008, 03:47:30 AM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!!!

Still to pumped up and excited.  Great game.  Nerve racking finish.  That hooking call would have been weak in the first period of the regular season but that late in the Finals?!  Arrggh.  Still, good teams take advantage and the Pens did which made the whole thing that much more tense and exciting.

+1000000000000

Why is it that the two sports with consistently horrendous officiating are NHL hockey, especially playoffs(!) and Big 10 football?  And NBC does indeed suck - they should have hired the Hockey Night in Canada crew and let them have at it - Don Cherry in HD, baby!

msteelers
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 05, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »

Congrats to the Red Wings. As much as the Pens were able to make this an entertaining series, the Red Wings looked like champions throughout.

And the officiating was terrible all around. Blatant penalties committed by both teams would go uncalled, and then the penalties that were being called were weak at best. The only good thing is that it seemed to go both ways. It will be interesting to see if this is addressed or not in the offseason.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 05, 2008, 02:34:41 PM »

Grats Wings!   Im almost glad the Pens won game 5, turning this into a tense series.  Interesting that the Wings won the last 4 series on the road.  I feel that the best team won but The Pens have a helluva future if they can re-sign some of the free agents they will have.  Im not sure but a friend of mine whos a Pens fan said they have like 17 expiring contracts this off season.  YIKES!   BTW does anyone know why Chelios got zero ice time in the finals?  He wasnt listed as injured, he just didnt get to play.  Kind of kharmic that after standing on his head in game 5, Fleury's ass plays an even more important role in game 6.  I hope next year, at least once, someone plays "Baby Got Back" over the intercom system when he hits the ice.  "I like big butts and I cant deny!"  Zetterburg was deserving of the Con Smythe but I was still rooting for Ozzie.  Anyway  PARTY ON FRIDAY IN MOTOWN  HOCKEYTOWN!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 05, 2008, 03:27:46 PM »

That was one of the coolest endings to a Stanley Cup Finals I've seen.  At first glance, I seriously thought that desperation attempt went in.

gellar
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 05, 2008, 03:34:48 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on June 05, 2008, 01:41:02 PM

And the officiating was terrible all around. Blatant penalties committed by both teams would go uncalled, and then the penalties that were being called were weak at best. The only good thing is that it seemed to go both ways. It will be interesting to see if this is addressed or not in the offseason.
So very  true.  I do hope they do something to fix that this offseason.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #845 on: June 05, 2008, 03:54:54 PM »

Woot.

As I've been telling folks at work this morning, there's more relief than joy in the victory.  Fortunately, there's still lots of joy.

I'm no Barry Melrose supporter, but he had a good line on PTI last week regarding Don Cherry: "At least when I go into my closet, I've got a plan."  That made me smile.  Hope BM ends up in Tampa Bay, if for no other reason than to get him off the airwaves.

Fun that the series started off with Fleury taking a nosedive to the ice and finishes with him pooping out the game winning goal.  He had better moments in between those two.

My father and I agreed, prior to the finals, that Babcock needed to get Chelios off the ice.  He completely lost his ability to clear the puck out of the zone, and when you're put out on the ice mainly to kill penalties, well clearing the zone is a pretty important skill.  I think his "leg injury" was a fabrication (or likely just an exaggeration, as every guy on the ice was fighting off some sort of injury by the end of two months of playoff hockey) just to accomplish that goal.  I'm no Lilja supporter, but even with his gaffes, I thought he was a better option than the Chelios we saw against Colorado and Dallas.

Definitely some above-average hockey this year in the finals.  Were I a non-partisan fan of the sport I'd have been rooting hard-core for a seventh game.

Kudos to the Pittsburgh team for a hard-faught series, and to their non-Game-six attending fans, who likely have more class than those who felt obligated to chant "Crosby" while the Conn Smythe winner skated his victory lap, or to boo when the Wings were awarded the Cup.  It'll take some creative GMing (but Shero's up to the challenge, in my estimation) to keep the team Finals-ready in the immediate future, but the Pens are definitely stacked for a decade of quality (and entertaining!) hockey.

And props to Lidstrom for making the decision to hand the Cup to Drake.  Yzerman handed his Cups to Larionov, Konstantinov, and Hasek, so I thought it appropriate for Lidstrom to hand his to a North American.  And I'll admit that it's tough for this Michigan Tech alumnus to give props to a eNeMa-U grad...
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 05, 2008, 04:02:28 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 05, 2008, 03:27:46 PM

That was one of the coolest endings to a Stanley Cup Finals I've seen.  At first glance, I seriously thought that desperation attempt went in.

gellar

Me too, and part of me wondered how horrible/wonderful it would be to have to reign in all of the Red Wings players celebrating in the corner, because the game wasn't over and was going into overtime.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 05, 2008, 04:12:08 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on June 05, 2008, 03:54:54 PM

And props to Lidstrom for making the decision to hand the Cup to Drake.  Yzerman handed his Cups to Larionov, Konstantinov, and Hasek, so I thought it appropriate for Lidstrom to hand his to a North American.  And I'll admit that it's tough for this Michigan Tech alumnus to give props to a eNeMa-U grad...
Larionov was (I believe, Fetisov may have been) the elder statesman that had not won a cup yet on the first cup team as was Hasek on the third.  Drake was that elder statesman on this team.  I think we all know why Vlady got cup #2.  I still have daydreams about how good the Wings would have been over the years had that car accident never happened.  Imagine he and Lindstrom together through out their prime years.  The Wings would have been able to play entire games with an empty net. icon_cry

It's how I say Hello - Richard
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 05, 2008, 05:34:27 PM »

What a well-played Finals.  The Pens played well, but it was fairly clear (from where I sat) that the Red Wings just played a better brand of hockey than every other team.  They were more organized, a lot more circumspect with their passing and shooting, and completely deserved to win.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: June 09, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 13, 2008, 02:57:16 PM

San Jose had *four* OT games in their ill-fated series against Dallas this year, and since a few bounces went the wrong way, well Ron Wilson is available to coach in Toronto (heh).
heh.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: June 09, 2008, 03:58:07 PM »

Nice call.

And Hasek retires.  Can't say I'm super surprised.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: