http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 08:34:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NHL Playoff Talk  (Read 41530 times)
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 12, 2008, 02:25:28 AM »

How do you spell lackluster today? F-L-Y-E-R-S!

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Remus West
« Reply #561 on: May 12, 2008, 01:06:13 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 12, 2008, 12:45:52 AM

Quote from: ScubaV on May 11, 2008, 01:51:05 AM

As a Wings fan I was initially outraged, but they showed the replay and I'm a little less incensed.  Osgood intentionally stuck the butt end of his stick out and clipped Rebeiro.  Then Rebeiro came with the chop that looks like it contacted Osgood's chest/shoulder/arm area, not the head.  Both plays were stupid, but Rebeiro's came after the game was over and certainly was the more dangerous one.  I would expect no less than a 1 or 2 game suspension from the league.

(also as Wings fan)

I was only outraged because Ozzy sold it so hard and I thought he was really hurt.  I'm a bit torn, I think a one game suspension ought to happen because you can't have that shit going on after the buzzer when you are free from penalty.  At the same time though I almost think they take that one game suspension away for Ozzy's flop.  Faking injury like that ought be just as tainto as anything else.  I didn't see serious intent to injure there so one game should be the max.  That or start Dallas out the next game with a four minute major, which would probably hurt more than one game suspension.
How can you not see serious intent to injure?  He broke his fucking stick on Ozzie's chest.  What Ozzie did was not right and he deserved to get fined.  What Rebeiro did was downright try to take Ozzie out.  Had he come back dropped his gloves and gone after Ozzie I would have had no issues with his reaction.  It would have been warranted.  Trouble is that once you allow players to literally attack each other that way with weapons (which is exactly what the stick was at that point) you are just asking for a major incident.

Also, I have to say that Barry Melrose can suck it.  His comments on how Turco was protecting his crease by sweeping the feet out from under a skater who was going full speed backwards combined with his condemnation of Ozzie for his poke.  Screw you Melrose.  Frankly, sweeping the feet out of from Filpula was a much more dangerous play in my eyes as he could easily have hit his head on the ice and done some serious damage.  I have always been a fan of Turco since I am a huge Michigan homer and love to see our guys do well in the pros but that move was shit.

Oh, and after watching that game between the Pens and Flyers last night, the East is going to get their heads handed to them by whichever team comes out of the West.  The Pens offense was only made possible by horrid passing by the Flyers and the Flyers, well, they made a ton of horrid passes.  I do not think either team hit a player in stride with a single pass.  Detroit or Dallas will wipe the ice with either of them.

side note:  spell check corrected some of LM's post. icon_lol
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 12, 2008, 02:14:34 PM »

Quote from: Remus West on May 12, 2008, 01:06:13 PM

How can you not see serious intent to injure?  He broke his fucking stick on Ozzie's chest.

He aimed for and hit pads that were designed to take that sort of abuse.  Could serious injury have resulted by screwing up and nailing catching him under the chin?  Yes.  That's why I'd think a one game or worse a four minute major to open the next game is on the table.  At the same time, they effectively cancel penaties from flopping.  They even did once on Saturday's game, so I don't know.  I can't imagine an outcome by the leauge that would be offensive to me.  I can't imagine on the one extreme that they would punish Ozzy while letting Rebeiro slide and on the other extreme I also can't imagine they'd give Rebeiro more than two game off.  I'm comfortable with anything in the middle (that doesn't also involve suspending Ozzy).
Remus West
« Reply #563 on: May 12, 2008, 02:40:13 PM »

Quote from: LordMortis on May 12, 2008, 02:14:34 PM

How can you not see serious intent to injure?  He broke his fucking stick on Ozzie's chest.

He aimed for and hit pads that were designed to take that sort of abuse.  Could serious injury have resulted by screwing up and nailing catching him under the chin?  Yes.  That's why I'd think a one game or worse a four minute major to open the next game is on the table.  At the same time, they effectively cancel penaties from flopping.  They even did once on Saturday's game, so I don't know.  I can't imagine an outcome by the leauge that would be offensive to me.  I can't imagine on the one extreme that they would punish Ozzy while letting Rebeiro slide and on the other extreme I also can't imagine they'd give Rebeiro more than two game off.  I'm comfortable with anything in the middle (that doesn't also involve suspending Ozzy).
Ozzie's play would at worst result in nothing that could not happen on any other play during a game.  Rebeiro's play could have done serious damage.  Bertuzzi's attack did not INTEND to cripple anyone but it did.  If the league wants to protect its players than it must hold them accountable for the possible outcome of their actions when those actions fall outside the usual play.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #564 on: May 12, 2008, 08:11:30 PM »

Goaltenders put their sticks out wide *all the time* to force skaters to take the long way around the net to get at a player behind the goalcrease.  99% of the time, players do, indeed, skate wide around the goalies' stick.  Sometimes the player skates right into it and uses that as an excuse to get indignant.  And sometimes that skater gets indignant by whacking the netminder in his chestpad with his stick.  And sometimes the goalie crumples to the ice and turtles until the medical staff skates out to see if they're okay.

Most fans don't enjoy any of that sequence of events.

I was disappointed in the Wings' response on the ice in that nobody handed Ribeiro (I think I've spelled that correctly, but I'm sure Remus West will fix it if he quotes my post) his teeth after going after their goalie.  That's pretty much the unwritten rule for someone going after your netminder (whether or not he's an All-Star that's totally frustrating the opposition or not).  The camera shots of McCarty on the bench, just screaming at the goings-on on the ice were pretty telling.  I expect that since there weren't any suspensions, that D-Mac and Ott will go at it relatively early in tonight's tilt.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #565 on: May 12, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 12, 2008, 08:11:30 PM

I was disappointed in the Wings' response on the ice in that nobody handed Ribeiro (I think I've spelled that correctly, but I'm sure Remus West will fix it if he quotes my post) his teeth after going after their goalie.  That's pretty much the unwritten rule for someone going after your netminder (whether or not he's an All-Star that's totally frustrating the opposition or not).  The camera shots of McCarty on the bench, just screaming at the goings-on on the ice were pretty telling.  I expect that since there weren't any suspensions, that D-Mac and Ott will go at it relatively early in tonight's tilt.

You can't do that in today's NHL. It's an automatic retaliation penalty. Just another example of the NHL's "brilliance" in cramping down on violence and cheap shots. All it's actually done is promote cheap shots and diving.

Also, in case no one saw it, Ribeiro and Osgood were both fined. Neither will be suspended.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: May 12, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »

Koz,
I'm not sure what you're telling me that the players can't do in the NHL, based on the portion of my response that you quoted.  Are you telling me that the players currently on the ice at the end of the game couldn't have handed Ribeiro his teeth after he wacked at their goaltender without suffering a retaliation penalty, or are you telling me that if Ott and McCarty get into a tussle tonight that there will be extra penalties dictated based on Ribeiro's poor decision making at the end of game 2?

I do understand that it's the league's philosophy (and by "the league," I mean the suits in Toronto) to try to remove player-initiated enforcement of unwritten rules from the game.  In some cases their efforts to remove this vigilante justice system from the game, the consequences outstrips the offending action.  In some cases, however, these mitigation efforts by the league do *not* keep the players from taking justice in their own hands. 

For instance, a pure hypothetical: McCarty is on the ice at the end of the game, and after seeing Ribeiro issue a two-hander across Osgood's chest, mere inches below his neck, he rushes into the fray and jumps Dallas' leading scorer.  The rest of the players on the ice pair up but nothing serious happens.  If, at this point, the league gives McCarty a game misconduct (which'd be his first this post-season), then that would not be sufficient to keep him from retaliating.  And considering his location on Detroit's depth chart, even if it was inspired by the bench in some sort of Roy-esque premeditated response and lead to his suspension, then it'd be debatable as to whether or not that'd be an effective deterrant.

If McCarty and Ott square off tonight and they both get 5-minutes and a game, I don't see how that'd be effective in keeping player-initiated justice from occurring.  If McCarty jumps Ribeiro and then Ott comes in as a third-man, then I can see a lopsided doling out of penalties as a likely outcome.

So please explain to me, more carefully, what it is that can't be done in today's NHL.  Thanks,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 12, 2008, 10:14:28 PM »

Oh, and after watching that game between the Pens and Flyers last night, the East is going to get their heads handed to them by whichever team comes out of the West.  The Pens offense was only made possible by horrid passing by the Flyers and the Flyers, well, they made a ton of horrid passes.  I do not think either team hit a player in stride with a single pass.  Detroit or Dallas will wipe the ice with either of them.

The Pens went 8-1-1 against the west this year, including a 4-1 win over dallas.  Sorry but I don't think they are all that afraid of the teams out west.  They have shown an ability to play a tight checking, low scoring game and win, and they have shown an ability to play run and gun and score a bunch of goals.  They can take hits, and they can dish them.  Counting them out is pure folly.
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 12, 2008, 11:45:30 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on May 12, 2008, 10:14:28 PM

The Pens went 8-1-1 against the west this year, including a 4-1 win over dallas.  Sorry but I don't think they are all that afraid of the teams out west.  They have shown an ability to play a tight checking, low scoring game and win, and they have shown an ability to play run and gun and score a bunch of goals.  They can take hits, and they can dish them.  Counting them out is pure folly.
I doubt the team that plays them will count them out but I just have not seen the same level of teamwork from them that I see displayed by either Detroit or Dallas.  They certainly have the skill players, I just have not been impressed with their execution.  May be hard to see though since Philly does not look like they are really doing much IMO.  Their passes are all behind the target or on the stick of a Pen with none of the tape to tape stuff you will see from either West team.  Could just be that I hate the Pens though.  Not sure why, I just do.  Probably left over resentment from people talking up Mario over The Captain (back in the day) and the homer in me objecting to anyone being placed over him.

It's how I say Hello - Richard
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 13, 2008, 12:35:06 AM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on May 12, 2008, 11:45:30 PM

Quote from: Arkon on May 12, 2008, 10:14:28 PM

I doubt the team that plays them will count them out but I just have not seen the same level of teamwork from them that I see displayed by either Detroit or Dallas.  They certainly have the skill players, I just have not been impressed with their execution.  May be hard to see though since Philly does not look like they are really doing much IMO.  Their passes are all behind the target or on the stick of a Pen with none of the tape to tape stuff you will see from either West team.  Could just be that I hate the Pens though.  Not sure why, I just do.  Probably left over resentment from people talking up Mario over The Captain (back in the day) and the homer in me objecting to anyone being placed over him.

I think what most folks miss is that the Penguins can play puck control as well as anyone in the league, with crisp tape to tape passing.  Quite honestly the first two games against philly have not been sharp by the pens despite them winning.  The turnovers by the Flyers have been partly the fault of the flyers and partly due to great forechecking, speed and positioning by the Penguins.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 13, 2008, 01:08:03 AM »

Way to go, Stars!  On the PP, you skate past the puck, and miss a wide open net and then turn it over.  Disgusting!

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 13, 2008, 02:21:42 AM »

Yikes. Could this be a Wings sweep in the making? 6:10 left and the Stars look done. It makes me wonder how the Sharks would have fared against the Wings. They might've gotten dismantled too. Wings are making it look effortless, which I didn't expect against a tough Stars team.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 13, 2008, 02:29:01 AM »

WOOT! Pavel HAT TRICK!?!

And the Hats hit the Ice...

(Chaosraven runs out to buy a Broom)

Spawn of OO Collective
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 13, 2008, 02:49:12 AM »

I'm really crossing my fingers right now for a Wings-Pens final, especially if they both sweep. Two red hot teams facing off, both fast paced, strong offensive oriented teams should hopefully make for an exciting series. While I think Detroit looks nigh unstoppable right now, I'm hoping such a series would go a full 7 games, and I think the Pens would make a series of it.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 13, 2008, 03:15:21 AM »

The Wings had a sluggish start, but certainly recovered well.  How about Osgood finally getting recognition for his superb play?  The media wants to crown everyone else the goalie king, but he is outplaying them all.

As much as I don't want to brag... ah hell I love bragging about the Wings... they really seem to be playing on a level above NHL quality hockey.  I wouldn't take any of the 16 teams that made the playoffs over the Wings in a 7-game series.  Bring on the Pens in the Finals!  Then we can prove to the hockey world that Datsyuk + Zetterberg > Crosby + Malkin.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 13, 2008, 03:21:38 AM »

Jesus, the Wing/Stars series is almost as one side and boring as the Avs series. Hopefully the Pens can at least put up a fight.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 13, 2008, 12:14:40 PM »

ZzzzZzZZzZzZzzzzzzzZzz
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 13, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »

Quote from: Lee on May 13, 2008, 03:21:38 AM

Jesus, the Wing/Stars series is almost as one side and boring as the Avs series. Hopefully the Pens can at least put up a fight.

Well being a Wings fan I wouldnt call it boring but I guess thats all about your point of view. 
  Dallas came out with thier best effort last nite and lost 5-2.  To be honest, the way the Wings are playing since they put Ozzie in goal, I dont see anyone beating them in 7 games.  Hopefully they will get to and win the Finals and people can give Ozzie the props he very much deserves.  The guy is a top ten all time goalie and for some reason he gets treated like a back-up by some fans (including Wings fans)  He has always been a class guy and gives his all on the ice every nite  ( unlike Hasek )  Anyway I hope he leads them to the cup and gets a little respect for it, its long overdue!

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: May 13, 2008, 02:18:30 PM »

The Wings look like a runaway freight train right now, but you have to admit that some breaks have definitely gone their way (which is a superb karmic adjustment for how things conspired against them last year).
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 13, 2008, 02:40:58 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 13, 2008, 02:18:30 PM

The Wings look like a runaway freight train right now, but you have to admit that some breaks have definitely gone their way (which is a superb karmic adjustment for how things conspired against them last year).
They have gotten a few breaks but so have their opponents.  For example, Dallas' second goal last night.  The difference is that when the Wings got a fluke goal (Lindstrom from beyond center ice against the Preds) they took full advantage and never looked back.  Dallas could not get anything done after that because the Wings slammed the door in their faces.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: May 13, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »

Quote from: The Meal on May 12, 2008, 09:46:17 PM

So please explain to me, more carefully, what it is that can't be done in today's NHL.  Thanks,

I think you're reading into it a bit much. If someone would have come over and punched out Ribeiro's teeth, they would have gotten a penalty regardless of what they did. There is NO player enforcement allowable by the NHL anymore. Now I was unaware when I posted above that this was at the end of the game, so the zebras couldn't have hit Detroit with any sort of meaningful penalty, and in that case it is a bit inexcusable Detroit did nothing about it. But if this was done during the game, it's an automatic 2 minute penalty at the very least, which is something you can't afford in the playoffs.
The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: May 13, 2008, 02:57:16 PM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on May 13, 2008, 02:40:58 PM

Quote from: The Meal on May 13, 2008, 02:18:30 PM

They have gotten a few breaks but so have their opponents.  For example, Dallas' second goal last night.  The difference is that when the Wings got a fluke goal (Lindstrom from beyond center ice against the Preds) they took full advantage and never looked back.  Dallas could not get anything done after that because the Wings slammed the door in their faces.
Indeed, Dallas' second game-tying goal was flukey, but that sort of stuff happens *all the time* in the playoffs.  You make those sorts of breaks by throwing the puck towards the net as often as possible (though in the specific case we're discussing, that was actually an attempted pass -- but throughout the game, Dallas did a nice job of shooting first, passing only if needed...).  San Jose had *four* OT games in their ill-fated series against Dallas this year, and since a few bounces went the wrong way, well Ron Wilson is available to coach in Toronto (heh).  Flukey stuff, but it tends to balance out.

What tends to make even more of a difference is the injury situation.  So far these playoffs, the only loss on the Wings' squad is to lose a hot player off their second-line.  Compare that to what happened to their defensive corps during last year's playoffs.  Compare losing Franzen to any of the other injury losses by playoff teams this year.  Colorado got decimated.  Dallas has lost very meaningful players.  Franzen, while a hot goalscorer, does not fill a unique role on the team.  Losing Lehtinen, on the other hand, puts Dallas behind the curve an in the hope-to-get-lucky role.  By far the best luck that Detroit's had this playoff season has been their relatively injury-free status.  And I keep my fingers crossed that this continues.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 13, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »

The Pens are looking to me like the early 80's Oilers.  It will be interesting as an Oilers fan to see if a team can assemble and maintain that kind of talent in the economic conditions of today's NHL.

Pens over Wings in 6.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 13, 2008, 03:05:53 PM »

I've been mostly not paying attention to this thread, so I'll just throw a bunch of thoughts in one post...

Yeah, I'm not finding the series boring... I guess in terms of tally of games won it might be considered 'boring', but the hockey on the ice is good.  The Stars are definitely trying... the Wings are just unstoppable right now, doing almost everything right, and getting lucky when they fuck up.

When Dallas tied it the first time last night I said (to myself, because nobody will watch hockey with me frown) "They just need to throw it right back in their faces and take the wind out of their sails!"

So they did. Whoo!

As for the Osgood/Ribeiro crap, as a Wings fan, I wasn't totally outraged... it was bullshit and childish on Ribeiro's part, but sort of just dickish on Osgood's part... I thought the response was the response... I was, however, surprised that McCarty didn't take Ribeiro down last night though.

As for the east... That last game saw my transformation from a pens semi fan to a flyers fan... I just suddenly found myself rooting for the Flyers somewhere in the second period... I think this is based on a few important scientific criteria:

1. Malkin is just really unpleasant to look at.
2. If neither team is 'my' team, then I tend to root for underdogs.
3. That elbow to Briere's head was bullshit.  Far more outrage worthy than the Osgood/Ribeiro stuff.
4. The Flyer's have heart.

Oh, and... Wings over Pens in 5.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: May 13, 2008, 03:10:13 PM »

Quote from: kratz on May 13, 2008, 03:05:53 PM

3. That elbow to Briere's head was bullshit.  Far more outrage worthy than the Osgood/Ribeiro stuff.

I've suddenly become a Penguins fan. icon_lol

After all the cheap shots and malicious hits the Flyers have dealt out this season, they get NO sympathy from me when the same happens to one of them.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 13, 2008, 03:29:02 PM »

I also have not paid any attention to the Flyers this season until the playoffs.
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 13, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on May 13, 2008, 03:00:09 PM

The Pens are looking to me like the early 80's Oilers.  It will be interesting as an Oilers fan to see if a team can assemble and maintain that kind of talent in the economic conditions of today's NHL.

Pens over Wings in 6.
This is not the 80s NHL.  The Pens do not have the defense to stay with the Wings.  They have all kinds of offensive talent but the Wings match them there.  The problem the Pens will run into is the same one every other team to play Detroit has, Zet and Dat are just as committed to playing defense as they are offense.  As is every line the Wings throw out there.  I am just short of brash enough to pick the sweep.  Wings in 5.

side note:  I really really hope that Ozgood gets 12 wins in a row taking that record from Roy but that is a long way off.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 13, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »

Bah, it was no elbow.... a forearm shiver to a guy with his head down...sure, but it wasn't an elbow.

Yes Malkin is ugly, but he is a good looker compared to Ovechkin.

And I just don't understand the "Flyers have heart" comment...what constitutes heart?  Because from where I stand the Pens have just as much heart as anyone in the league.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 13, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »

Having no Versus, I had to watch at the bar last night with no sound.  How is Morrow's arm?  That missed check looked like it resulted in arm breaking fall.  I felt terrible for him.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 13, 2008, 04:32:55 PM »

Quote from: Remus West2 on May 13, 2008, 04:26:37 PM

Quote from: Rowdy on May 13, 2008, 03:00:09 PM

Pens over Wings in 6.
This is not the 80s NHL.  The Pens do not have the defense to stay with the Wings.  They have all kinds of offensive talent but the Wings match them there.  The problem the Pens will run into is the same one every other team to play Detroit has, Zet and Dat are just as committed to playing defense as they are offense.  As is every line the Wings throw out there.  I am just short of brash enough to pick the sweep.  Wings in 5.

side note:  I really really hope that Ozgood gets 12 wins in a row taking that record from Roy but that is a long way off.

The pens had the 8th best defense in the league this year, they are no slouches, and they are a very mobile defense.  One that was able to effectively shut down the likes of Spezza, Heatley, Alfredsson, Jagr, Drury, and Gomez.  Hossa, Malkin, Crosby, Staal are all great two way players that don't just play in the offensive zone.  The penguins can roll 4 lines and not have to worry about matching them.  They can play thier 1st line against a 1st line or they can play their 4th line.  Detroit is a great team, on a roll, but so are the Pens. 
Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 13, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »

Code:
Team GA GF
Det 1 3
Pit 10 7

Ott 24 1
NYR 4 25
Phi 18 6

Nsh 15 12
Col 12 15
Dal 6 9

Pittsburgh is not even the most compelete team Detroit will face in the post-season, Dallas is.  Pittsburgh has yet to face a team that even resembles balanced.  Pittsburgh is in a lot of trouble come the finals if they get past the Flyers (which will likey be in two more games).

Remus West2
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 13, 2008, 04:49:31 PM »

Not sure why it put those boxes into that. icon_confused

The first number is GAA the second Goals for.

The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #592 on: May 13, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »

Morrow was back on the ice playing his regular shift after missing only one or two after his fall on his arm.  I couldn't believe it, either.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 13, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »

Yeah, that fall made my balls retract... but his quick return makes me think it was partially camera angle and jersey that made it look so nasty.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 13, 2008, 06:02:21 PM »

Quote from: kratz on May 13, 2008, 05:12:13 PM

Yeah, that fall made my balls retract... but his quick return makes me think it was partially camera angle and jersey that made it look so nasty.

He's also a professional hockey player, which means unless the damn thing snapped off and was hanging by a ligament, chances were good that he'd come out, play his minutes and then deal with it later. Probably not serious but I doubt it's feeling 100% right now either.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: May 14, 2008, 01:46:05 AM »

Remus West(2), once again proving that Red Wings fans are the Yankees fans of the NHL.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 14, 2008, 02:15:48 AM »

Pittsburgh is not even the most compelete team Detroit will face in the post-season, Dallas is.  Pittsburgh has yet to face a team that even resembles balanced.  Pittsburgh is in a lot of trouble come the finals if they get past the Flyers (which will likey be in two more games).

I'd say that by the time the Stanley Cup rolls around, season stats are a fairly meaningless comparison between the two teams. Still, you mentioned earlier that the Pens don't have the defense necessary to face off against the Wings...yet the Pens have the lowest GAA in the playoffs, and have faced off against the #1, #6, and #25 offense according to GFA, from the regular season. Detroit has been up against the #9, 12, and 15 offensive teams and can't match Pittsburgh so far for defensive prowess. But, I still don't think regular season stats are overly useful now.

Playoff stats so far:

Detroit
GAA: 1.92
GFA: 3.76

Pittsburgh
GAA: 1.89
GFA: 3.51

Both teams head and shoulders above the other two remaining teams stats wise. I think (and hope), it will be a very even and hard fought series, with Detroit coming out on top.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 02:36:27 AM by Jiffy » Logged
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 14, 2008, 02:57:06 AM »

Quote from: Koz on May 14, 2008, 01:46:05 AM

Remus West(2), once again proving that Red Wings fans are the Yankees fans of the NHL.

What's up with your obsession with the Wings and Yankees?  I see you make the comparison almost every time the Wings come up in a hockey discussion.  It hasn't been a relevant comparison since the salary cap era, and considering the Wings' continued success post-cap as pre-cap under the same GM, wasn't even relevant back then.

As for the Cup finals, it should be a very exciting matchup.  I don't see the Wings losing at home, which leads me to pick them in either 5 or 6 games.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 14, 2008, 03:07:59 AM »

Where's the talk about how strong the Atlantic Division is in the east?

4 in the playoffs and 3 of the final 4 in the east.

The only teams to beat Atlantic Division teams are other Atlantic Division teams.

(looking for something to justify the Devils being bounced early, besides they aren't that good)

Finals? Pens in 6.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: May 14, 2008, 03:43:07 AM »

Quote from: ScubaV on May 14, 2008, 02:57:06 AM

Quote from: Koz on May 14, 2008, 01:46:05 AM

What's up with your obsession with the Wings and Yankees?  I see you make the comparison almost every time the Wings come up in a hockey discussion.

Link?

I'm comparing the fans, not the teams. Fans for both teams are for the most part 1) numerous and 2) intolerable. You can do Red Wings and Red Sox fans if it makes you feel better. Same difference.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: